Poll: Which Canuck Backup Goalie do you want?

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

Which goalie would you choose as backup to Luongo?

Martin Prusek
20%
Steve Shields
20%
Phillipe Sauve
No votes
Mike Morrison
No votes
Wade Flaherty
40%
Jason Labarbera
20%

Total votes: 25

MarkMM
CC 1st Team All-Star

Post by MarkMM »

I agree that it DOES matter who plays back-up, even if they only play 10-15 games, in the West, that might be the difference between making the playoffs or not.

I haven't followed Shields or Boucher closely, I just recall that they did have the ability to win games when they're on their games, and with our cap problems, that might be the best we can hope for (hire a good sports psychologist, maybe?), and being determined to earn back a spot in the NHL might be a healthy motivation. I also think those guys are content with the back-up role, and hasn't Shields played with Luongo?

I don't know Prusek well, but I looked him up and he looks promising, so I wouldn't complain about him either, if we can pick something up on waivers, like Lababera, cool, I'd just rather not trade away assets when there're guys we can pick up for free.

I'd give Flaherty a look, but not the job guaranteed, bring in another guy and may the best guy win...regarding Wade doing well in the AHL, can anyone say "Lee Goren"?
Mark
Linden Is God
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Linden Is God »

I totally agree with bringing in another guy and letting the best one win. Boucher, Shields and Prusek are UFA's, but getting a guy like Labarbera would mean either tradin an asset, or plucking him off waivers. BUt I think for chemistry reasons, waiting to get a guy off waivers may be too late ( i.e.Martin Brochu fiasco)
GO CANUCKS GO !!!

:towel: :towel: :towel:
DavidPratt_
MVP
MVP

Post by DavidPratt_ »

Linden Is God wrote:I totally agree with bringing in another guy and letting the best one win. Boucher, Shields and Prusek are UFA's, but getting a guy like Labarbera would mean either tradin an asset, or plucking him off waivers. BUt I think for chemistry reasons, waiting to get a guy off waivers may be too late ( i.e.Martin Brochu fiasco)
I would have agreed with you in the past when only guys like Brochu would become available (that guy was awful, wasn't he?). Having said that, I think there will be some decent goalies available that could end up on waivers. Labarbera could probably be picked up for a late draft pick or be part of the 'conditional pick' from the Cloutier deal.

dp
VANCOUVER'S SEXIEST BROADCASTER AND COUGAR HUNTER

*OPINIONS EXRESSED ARE THOSE OF THE AUTHOR, AND THEY DO NOT NECESSARILY REFLECT THOSE OF ©BELL MEDIA*

WATCH THE DAVID PRATT SHOW W/BRO JAKE 6-10 AM, M-F ON THE TEAM 1040
aer53
AHL Prospect

Post by aer53 »

I think the Canucks should bring in Cory Schneider from Boston College as the main backup to Luongo. IMO He is the best young goalie the Canucks have. It would be a great chance to learn and develop behind Luongo.
levelheaded
MVP
MVP

Post by levelheaded »

aer53 wrote:I think the Canucks should bring in Cory Schneider from Boston College as the main backup to Luongo. IMO He is the best young goalie the Canucks have. It would be a great chance to learn and develop behind Luongo.
A complete waste of his talent IMO. With Luongo in net he has little to no chance of becoming a regular player in the next four seasons. He would do much better to play another year or two of college then sign him and send him to the AHL where he can be a starter. Schneider isn't going to get any better sitting on the bench. The Canucks have done a bang up job putting young players in the wrong situations lately, let's not screw this one up.
Bartman
MVP
MVP

Post by Bartman »

aer53 wrote:I think the Canucks should bring in Cory Schneider from Boston College as the main backup to Luongo. IMO He is the best young goalie the Canucks have. It would be a great chance to learn and develop behind Luongo.
No doubt he is the best prospect we've got in goal and that is exactly why he should NOT be brought in as a back up. A young goalie needs to play in game situations in order to develop and if we want this kid to replace Luongo 5 years down the road he needs to play.
R.I.P. Luc.
MarkMM
CC 1st Team All-Star

Post by MarkMM »

Agree with Levelheaded and Bartman, it's a bit of a blessing that he still wants to play in college this year, and possibly (though not likely) next year. We've got a few promising guys, with Schneider in Boston, Vincent in junior, and Ellis in the AHL (being brought along by Flaherty or whomever else we bring in, which is why I want a vet on the Moose), we're juggling our goaltending assets as it is.
Mark
DavidPratt_
MVP
MVP

Post by DavidPratt_ »

MarkMM wrote:Agree with Levelheaded and Bartman, it's a bit of a blessing that he still wants to play in college this year, and possibly (though not likely) next year. We've got a few promising guys, with Schneider in Boston, Vincent in junior, and Ellis in the AHL (being brought along by Flaherty or whomever else we bring in, which is why I want a vet on the Moose), we're juggling our goaltending assets as it is.
Keep an eye on Vincent. That guy has great size and decent stats in the Q. His biggest challenge is getting more playing time with his junior team. Schneider is a great prospect as is Ellis. One thing about Ellis - he seems to 'choke' a bit during pressure-based situations. His training camp for the World Junior team wasn't great and he slowed down during the stretch prior to his draft year (which explains how the Canucks got him beyond the earlier rounds). He is a flashy goalie and I believe that if the Canucks bring him along slowly and partner him with a veteran goalie (as Mark suggested) he could be a great player for Vancouver one day.

dp
VANCOUVER'S SEXIEST BROADCASTER AND COUGAR HUNTER

*OPINIONS EXRESSED ARE THOSE OF THE AUTHOR, AND THEY DO NOT NECESSARILY REFLECT THOSE OF ©BELL MEDIA*

WATCH THE DAVID PRATT SHOW W/BRO JAKE 6-10 AM, M-F ON THE TEAM 1040
tuzzi44
CC 2nd Team All-Star

Post by tuzzi44 »

the back up goalie position is the least of our worries. we've got some great talent on its way... grab the cheapest guy lol and let luongo do what he does best.

If we've got Luongo locked up for at least 4 years.... Cory Schneider could become interesting trade bait
BELIEVE.

"we did a fucking great job"
Jonathan Toews
MarkMM
CC 1st Team All-Star

Post by MarkMM »

I don't know if I'd trade Schneider just yet, it takes years for a goalie to arrive, in four years Schneider will just be in his early twenties, still years away from the goaltending prime, so he might not be ready yet, or, he might be blossoming just in time to replace Luongo if we can't re-sign him. On the other hand, we'll likely need to trade one of our prospects sooner or later, unless some of them start to fall off the map.
Mark
The_Pauser
CC 2nd Team All-Star

Post by The_Pauser »

I voted for Steve Shields, but really it doesn't matter. As long as Nonis isn't paying more than $450k for a backup goalie it should be fine. If you think about it, we're paying Luongo $6.75M per season to be our number 1, and he does have the ability to play 70-75 games.

Paying much more than the league minimum for a guy to sit on the bench 90% of the season is an ineffecient waste of cap space.