Name your favourite unsung hero from the past

A forum for Canucks trivia, stats inquiries, this forum compliments our History Section database created by George Fawcett.

Moderator: Referees

DavidPratt_
MVP
MVP

Post by DavidPratt_ »

sgtx3 wrote:Bobby Lalonde and Mike Walton
I remember Bobby Lalonde. He was about 5'5 on his skates, but very talented with fast wheels. His size really worked against him but he was a gamer. Mike Walton came to Vancouver and was still 'shaky' (his nickname). Great talent....too bad he didn't stay in Vancouver that long.

dp
VANCOUVER'S SEXIEST BROADCASTER AND COUGAR HUNTER

*OPINIONS EXRESSED ARE THOSE OF THE AUTHOR, AND THEY DO NOT NECESSARILY REFLECT THOSE OF ©BELL MEDIA*

WATCH THE DAVID PRATT SHOW W/BRO JAKE 6-10 AM, M-F ON THE TEAM 1040
Ilevakam
CC Veteran

Post by Ilevakam »

I remember when i was about 10 years old watching the Cancucks and being dazzled by
a player by the name of Lonny Bohonos, the first unsung hero to come to mind for me. The
most NHL games he ever played in a season was 36 which was as a canuck in 96-97, in
those 36 games he amassed 11 goals 11 assists, too bad he could not stay consistent,
hasn't plated in the NHL since 98
DavidPratt_
MVP
MVP

Post by DavidPratt_ »

Ilevakam wrote:I remember when i was about 10 years old watching the Cancucks and being dazzled by
a player by the name of Lonny Bohonos, the first unsung hero to come to mind for me. The
most NHL games he ever played in a season was 36 which was as a canuck in 96-97, in
those 36 games he amassed 11 goals 11 assists, too bad he could not stay consistent,
hasn't plated in the NHL since 98
I remember Bohonos. He had some talent...just never stuck in the NHL...

dp

*OPINIONS EXRESSED ARE THOSE OF THE AUTHOR, AND THEY DO NOT NECESSARILY REFLECT THOSE OF ©BELL MEDIA*

Cookie La Rue
MVP
MVP

Post by Cookie La Rue »

Normally Gino but i think he's the most sung "unsung" hero. :mrgreen:

I go with Dale Hunter, Geoff Courtnall, Greg Adams and Cliff Ronning...
"Every dog has its day." - CC Hockey Pool Champion 2004 & 2013 'Moves like Lenarduzzi'
jchockey
MVP
MVP

Post by jchockey »

DavidPratt_ wrote:
jchockey wrote:An oldie (for me) would be as dal said Shawn Antoski. Gino Odjick is another one.
Oldie?? Where were you when Gary Smith was in goal for Vancouver in '75?

dp
In 75 I haven't even been conceived yet.
DavidPratt_
MVP
MVP

Post by DavidPratt_ »

I just thought of one recent guy who is one major unsung guy who the Canucks would kill to have back. Marek Malik. Damn that guy has evolved into being a solid defenseman.

I think there is a lot to be learned from Malik and about defensemen in general:

1. It can take years for them to develop. Look at Malik and even Baumgartner. Those guys didn't get better until their late '20s. Prior to that they were bouncing around in the minors.

2. Rushing them can ruin them. Too many defensemen out there who were rushed. For every Dion Phaneuf there is a long list of guys who lost their confidence at an early age. The Canucks have to handle Bourdon properly.

dp

Linden Is God
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Linden Is God »

DavidPratt_ wrote:I just thought of one recent guy who is one major unsung guy who the Canucks would kill to have back. Marek Malik. Damn that guy has evolved into being a solid defenseman.

I think there is a lot to be learned from Malik and about defensemen in general:

1. It can take years for them to develop. Look at Malik and even Baumgartner. Those guys didn't get better until their late '20s. Prior to that they were bouncing around in the minors.

2. Rushing them can ruin them. Too many defensemen out there who were rushed. For every Dion Phaneuf there is a long list of guys who lost their confidence at an early age. The Canucks have to handle Bourdon properly.

dp
I loved Malik, was sad to see him go.
GO CANUCKS GO !!!

:towel: :towel: :towel:
sk8er
CC 1st Team All-Star

Post by sk8er »

Petri Skriko. he seemed to be there to score a goal when it was needed, but never got any press.
Dave Robinson
AHL Prospect

Post by Dave Robinson »

What about Greg Adams? Always came to play. I think he tied the game late in Cagary in game 7 double O.T. win.
D. Robinson-Sask's biggest Canuck Fan
NKCTB7
AHL Prospect

Post by NKCTB7 »

Gerald Diduck and Robert Dirk in the '94 cup run. We had the biggest and most mobile defensemen that year.
"I'm looking forward to making a run for the Stanley Cup with Vancouver"...Roberto Luongo
The_Pauser
CC 2nd Team All-Star

Post by The_Pauser »

What about Adrian Plavsic and Vadim Sharifjanov? Those 2 had decent spirts on the team but kinda disappeared after a while. Too bad.
Media_Man
AHL Prospect

Post by Media_Man »

Funny you mention Sharifjanov, because Brian Burke, to this day will tell you that that trade with New Jersey, giving up a second round pick for the "Sheriff" was the worst trade he ever made as Canucks GM.
I only report the facts!!!!
*CanucksForLife*
CC Veteran

Post by *CanucksForLife* »

This guy from 03-04.
Artem Chubarov.
I remember his speed and his faceoffs. I loved him at the time and he got no recognition by other teams and by the Nucks.
I Hart Luongo.
Puck
MVP
MVP

Post by Puck »

Chris Oddleifson - for no other reason than my 6-yr-old self's decision at the time to say, "Hey that's my favourite player."

OK, so that dates me. But, Lonny Bohonos? Geez... seems like that was somewhere around last season. :roll:

From a more logical adult perspective though, I think I like Greg Adams. Or, if you subtract one untimely 'pass' to Mike Bossy, it has to be Harold Snepsts.
meangradin
AHL Prospect

Post by meangradin »

I have always felt that Thomas Gradin never got the respect he was due; although, I do not think he fits in to this catagory as he played for quite a few years and put up some good numbers.

Greg "gus" Adams is always overlooked by fans which is strange considering his play in the '94 run. Remember who scored the goal with 2 minutes left to tie it up with the Flamers and force OT in game 7? GUS!!!!!