Poll: Which Canuck Backup Goalie do you want?

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

Which goalie would you choose as backup to Luongo?

Martin Prusek
20%
Steve Shields
20%
Phillipe Sauve
No votes
Mike Morrison
No votes
Wade Flaherty
40%
Jason Labarbera
20%

Total votes: 25

DavidPratt_
MVP
MVP

Poll: Which Canuck Backup Goalie do you want?

Post by DavidPratt_ »

I put together a list of goalies who could be available to Vancouver (free agency or trade). Which goalie do you think should back up Roberto Luongo?

dp
VANCOUVER'S SEXIEST BROADCASTER AND COUGAR HUNTER

*OPINIONS EXRESSED ARE THOSE OF THE AUTHOR, AND THEY DO NOT NECESSARILY REFLECT THOSE OF ©BELL MEDIA*

WATCH THE DAVID PRATT SHOW W/BRO JAKE 6-10 AM, M-F ON THE TEAM 1040
Linden Is God
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Linden Is God »

My #1 would be Labarbera, then Prusek. Who's your pick Pratt?
GO CANUCKS GO !!!

:towel: :towel: :towel:
mattola
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by mattola »

Phil Sauve signed a one year deal in Phoneix.
Mike Morrison signed a one year deal in Phoneix
Jason LaBarbera signed a one year deal in Los Angeles.

your list is thin.
MarkMM
CC 1st Team All-Star

Post by MarkMM »

I'd take Shields over LaBarbera mainly because we could get Shields without trading away assets. I have no problem with Flaherty, I just want to bring another goalie into the system.
Mark
mattola
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by mattola »

mis read. I thought they were all UFA lists. now it makes sense.

I want Shields.
magnum44
CC Veteran

Post by magnum44 »

San Jose and Anaheim are probably going to try and move some starting goalies sooner rather than later which may have some ripple effects on who is available. Luongo is a workhorse with no real injury history so I don't think we have to rush to fill the backup position. I think we can afford to wait and invite some UFAs to camp and see what shakes out after all the training camps close. As far as I know we could probably still trade the rights to Noronen to a team that would give him a shot at winning a starting job and he would probably have and use an out clause in his contract to come back to the NHL if that was the case.
You're only young once, but you can be immature forever
postimon
AHL Prospect

Lou!Lou!

Post by postimon »

A better question might be, who does Luongo want as his back-up! :)
levelheaded
MVP
MVP

Post by levelheaded »

Prusek, a very underrated goalie IMO. He's younger then Shields, so probably the safer pick. I also think Prusek would be a better fit if Luongo got hurt (God Forbid)
DavidPratt_
MVP
MVP

Post by DavidPratt_ »

mattola wrote:Phil Sauve signed a one year deal in Phoneix.

your list is thin.
I phrased my list by stating potential backups acquired via free agency or trade. Here's why:

Sauve - competing against David LeNeveu (top Phoenix goalie prospect who Gretzky has stated won't benefit from another year in the AHL) to back up Curtis Joseph. Sauve could be on waivers after training camp in Phoenix.

Mike Morrison - see above.

Jason LaBarbera - competing against Garon for the backup job to Cloutier. Could end up on waivers after training camp.

My list isn't that thin. The Canucks could pick up another goalie after training camp if Flaherty struggles.

dp

*OPINIONS EXRESSED ARE THOSE OF THE AUTHOR, AND THEY DO NOT NECESSARILY REFLECT THOSE OF ©BELL MEDIA*

DavidPratt_
MVP
MVP

Post by DavidPratt_ »

mattola wrote:Phil Sauve signed a one year deal in Phoneix.

your list is thin.
I phrased my list by stating potential backups acquired via free agency or trade. Here's why:

Sauve - competing against David LeNeveu (top Phoenix goalie prospect who Gretzky has stated won't benefit from another year in the AHL) to back up Curtis Joseph. Sauve could be on waivers after training camp in Phoenix.

Mike Morrison - see above.

Jason LaBarbera - competing against Garon for the backup job to Cloutier. Could end up on waivers after training camp.

My list isn't that thin. The Canucks could pick up another goalie after training camp if Flaherty struggles.

dp

DavidPratt_
MVP
MVP

Post by DavidPratt_ »

Linden Is God wrote:My #1 would be Labarbera, then Prusek. Who's your pick Pratt?
I like Prusek. This is a guy who dominated in the AHL 4 years ago, played well in Ottawa (solid stats), and then was dumped by Ottawa after the lockout to make room for Emery. Prusek lost out to Leclaire in Columbus but didn't play as well as he could in Syracuse.

I think Prusek could be a solid goalie, particularly if Luongo got injured. The rest of them - Shields, etc. are too inconsistent.

I don't mind Labarbera - he could be available after the Kings training camp.

I think if Nonis is smart, he may wait to see who becomes available after all the NHL training camps.

dp

kingofrockstars
MVP
MVP

Post by kingofrockstars »

What's Bob Essensa doing? :D
The police never think it's as funny as you do
Canuck2
CC Veteran

Post by Canuck2 »

This guy has Shields and Linden signed already, does he know something I haven't seen or is he on drugs?

yahoo
MarkMM
CC 1st Team All-Star

Post by MarkMM »

Canuck2 wrote:This guy has Shields and Linden signed already, does he know something I haven't seen or is he on drugs?

yahoo
Hmm, I remember reading that there were discussions, but also there were reports that Brian Boucher was invited to training camp, that was just a few days ago, so I don't think Shields was signed.
Mark
DavidPratt_
MVP
MVP

Post by DavidPratt_ »

MarkMM wrote:
Canuck2 wrote:This guy has Shields and Linden signed already, does he know something I haven't seen or is he on drugs?

yahoo
Hmm, I remember reading that there were discussions, but also there were reports that Brian Boucher was invited to training camp, that was just a few days ago, so I don't think Shields was signed.
I'm not that big on Shields. Shields' play has gone downhill in the past few seasons after he was a starter in Boston. He's had a lot of chances in the NHL - Buffalo, San Jose, Anaheim, Boston, Atlanta and his play has steadily regressed year over year. Many of you would say 'who cares, we have Luongo', but you know what? If Luongo got injured, I would not feel comfortable with Flaherty as my starter. He's 38 and he's had a LOT of chances in the league. He has played well in the AHL, but I hate saying this - it's the AHL. I'd rather bring in a guy who could at least play fairly well in relief or if there was an injury. I don't have faith in Shields. Boucher is completely inconsistent. I'd give Prusek a chance if we signed him, or even a guy like Labarbera if he became available.

dp