Canucks News n Notes 2019-2020

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

rats19
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Re: Canucks News n Notes 2019-2020

Post by rats19 »

Tciso wrote:
Tue May 12, 2020 9:48 am
Todd Bersnoozi wrote:
Tue May 12, 2020 1:58 am
Top greatest nicknames in hockey history. U know I gotta post this one. :P

https://www.bardown.com/ranking-15-of-t ... tX5j5Bm1R4

Two former Nucks make the list.

- Jovocop
- Moose (Although not sure if most ppl consider Messier a true Nuck)

There's a Tuna on the list, but it's not Virts. I think Russian Rocket, Almo & Marky Mark are pretty good too, maybe they make is someday.

Messier was never a Canuck. Period.
I agree with you Tciso
Getting old is not for the young...

Cornuck
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Cornuck »

rats19 wrote:
Tue May 12, 2020 10:15 am
Tciso wrote:
Tue May 12, 2020 9:48 am
Messier was never a Canuck. Period.
I agree with you Tciso
He barely qualifies as human...
2019-20 - Playoff Bound

Topper
CC Legend

Post by Topper »

Did TSN not include player pre TSN?
Over the Internet, you can pretend to be anyone or anything.

I'm amazed that so many people choose to be complete twats.

Per
MVP
MVP

Post by Per »

Todd Bersnoozi wrote:

- Jovocop

There's a Tuna on the list, but it's not Virts. I think Russian Rocket, Almo & Marky Mark are pretty good too, maybe they make is someday.
I also like The Alien.

Looking beyond Vancouver, I think the Norwegian Hobbit Wizard ought to have made the list.
I also like Le Petit Viking.
Whatever you do, always give 100 %!
Except when donating blood.

Todd Bersnoozi
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Todd Bersnoozi »

Per wrote:
Tue May 12, 2020 2:01 pm
I also like The Alien.
Alien is good, but doesn't seem to be really sticking. Ppl just seem to go with Petey.

Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Strangelove »

Todd Bersnoozi wrote:

- Jovocop

There's a Tuna on the list, but it's not Virts. I think Russian Rocket, Almo & Marky Mark are pretty good too
____
GO CANUCKS GO!!!

Cornuck
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Cornuck »

If we're talking about modern day (real) Canucks - then "Huggy Bear" has to be one of the most original, old-school nicknames we've seen in a while.
2019-20 - Playoff Bound

SKYO
CC Legend

Post by SKYO »

Chef Boi RD wrote:
Sat Mar 28, 2020 7:34 am
PG_Canuck wrote:
Fri Mar 27, 2020 2:21 pm
Canucks losing Judd Brackett is going to be a massive, massive loss to the organization. Anyone who downplays Judd leaving is just straight up lying.

https://theprovince.com/sports/hockey/n ... l-at-draft
The relationship between Brackett and Benning has since been strained. While no one will speak to the matter on the record, Brackett believes he should have some degree of autonomy in running the scouting department. He’s turned down a contract extension from the Canucks. He was also aligned with former president Trevor Linden.
Brackett was not made available by the organization for this piece.
We're about to see a big dip in drafting.
Hit the Chill Button, Benning’s got it
People love to hate on Weisbrod - but dude seems on point with scouting.
“When you look at the big picture, there’s so few guys in any draft that are actually going to play,” says Weisbrod. “Not play games in the league, but if you do the analysis over any 10-year period and said, in this entire draft, how many guys end up playing 300 or more NHL games, which would be sort of the way you defined a significant career, you’d have 28 to 31 total players out of any one draft.

“I think once you get into drafting for need, when you look at the odds of how many players are actually going to play and be good players, I think that gets a little dangerous.”
https://www.vancourier.com/pass-it-to-b ... 1.23838302

Jim Benning has assembled an awesome scouting crew overall, as it's in his blood to be a scout anyways....
Chris Gear promoted to Assistant GM and having Jonathan Wall, the Canucks are good hands IF Brackett leaves to start over somewhere else.....or he can stick around & see this team go VOLTRON from here on out....team on the rise for sure.

https://theprovince.com/sports/hockey/n ... al-manager
A long time ago, a baseball player remarked: "If I owned a ballclub, I'd hire a $5,000 coach and a $15,000 scout."

Micky
MVP
MVP

Post by Micky »

Epic, well done. +1
"evolution"

The Brown Wizard
MVP
MVP

Post by The Brown Wizard »

We need to hang onto Brackett. We've suffered enough....suck it up Jimmy and smooth over the ruffled feathers please and thank you

https://thehockeynews.com/news/article ... -brackett

THIS SEASON’S BEST FREE AGENT MIGHT END UP BEING VANCOUVER’S JUDD BRACKETT
The Canucks' director of amateur scouting is on an expiring contract and according to multiple sources around the league, tension with GM Jim Benning may end in an exit. Vancouver's loss would be a major win for whichever NHL team snapped up the top hockey mind.

By Ryan Kennedy

May 12, 2020

There are some pretty big names heading towards free agency at the end of the 2019-20 season, but from Alex Pietrangelo to Taylor Hall, the best won’t come cheap. But what if I told you a team could acquire names like Elias Pettersson, Brock Boeser and Quinn Hughes without getting wrecked by the salary cap?

In a roundabout way, that’s what a team would be getting if Vancouver Canucks director of amateur scouting Judd Brackett parts ways with his current club. While matters of scouting rarely become big stories in the NHL, Vancouver fans and media have been buzzing about Brackett’s potential departure from the Canucks. His contract expires this summer and negotiations with GM Jim Benning on an extension haven’t resulted in a new pact.

So what’s the deal? From talking to scouts and execs from around the league, there has always been tension between Benning and Brackett, with the scouting department separated into old-guard and new-school factions.

“You can sense there are cliques in that group; power struggles,” said one NHL team scout. “The fact they’ve drafted so well, considering that, is impressive.”

Brackett got his start in the USHL, where he helped build a champion Indiana Ice team. In 2008-09, he became a part-time scout with the Canucks, using his USHL knowledge to eventually vouch for Boeser, whom the Canucks took 23rd overall in 2015. Vancouver got another USHL gem later on in that draft when they snagged Adam Gaudette in the fifth round. The next season, Brackett was named Vancouver’s director of amateur scouting by Trevor Linden. It was a meteoric rise for the talent hawk, but it didn’t necessarily sit well with some of the veterans in the scouting game.

“When he got the opportunity in Vancouver, guys who didn’t know him were like ‘who is this guy?’ ” said the scout. “Usually there’s a path – you’re a full-time guy in your area, then a crossover guy (a scout who covers more than one league – say, OHL and QMJHL) – but he skipped to the front of the line. But the proof is in the pudding. Ever since they turned the keys over to Judd, their drafting has improved exponentially.”

And this is where it gets interesting. Because Benning himself has an extensive scouting background, not to mention his own trusted lieutenants within the Canucks scouting department (such as assistant GM John Weisbrod). And he is the boss, at the end of the day.

“The vision,” said one NHL GM, “has to come from the manager.”

Which is, to say, that teams play a certain style and the GM has to supply his coach with the type of players the coach can mould into a winning roster. Do you want fast? Do you want physical? Do you want hockey sense? The GM must be on the same page as his scouting director to make it happen.

Brackett was ostensibly in charge of the draft, but it doesn’t sound like he always had the easiest time convincing his boss to make certain choices. Thankfully for Canucks fans, Brackett has prevailed more often than not – particularly at the 2017 draft when a skinny Swede was available early.

“My understanding,” said the scout, “is that Pettersson was never a guy Benning wanted.”

This was echoed by other sources and keep in mind, Pettersson wasn’t universally ranked as high as the No. 5 slot the Canucks picked him at. Casey Mittelstadt was still on the board at the time, as was WHL star Cody Glass. Vancouver easily could have gone a different way and no one would have batted an eye. Instead, the Canucks landed a foundational center.

From the sounds of it, both Benning and Brackett were sold on Hughes in 2018, so there was no controversy there. But in 2019, a fissure in the department reared up again over the first-rounder. Brackett lobbied (and won) on rambunctious Russian right winger Vasili Podkolzin, but other names were championed by others on staff (I could not confirm which players were the alternatives and while at least one name is out there, I don’t think it’s appropriate to speculate).

On top of the Canucks’ first-round victories of late, Brackett has also presided over some great value picks, including several with USHL links – 2019 seventh-rounder Aidan McDonough had a monster freshman season at Northeastern University, while Huskies teammate and 2018 third-rounder Tyler Madden was the school’s leading scorer as a sophomore. Madden’s rights were traded to Los Angeles in the Tyler Toffoli deal and he’ll turn pro with the Kings organization next season.

GMs see Brackett as a hard-working guy, while other scouts see a guy who sees the game well and thinks on another level from many of his peers. I have also been told he is not the type of guy who leaks things to the press, so false stories – like the one circulating about him being sidelined by Benning on the second day of last year’s draft – don’t always get corrected.

If he stays in Vancouver, the Canucks have a tremendous asset who will continue to build an already-impressive young core. If he leaves, he probably won’t be on the market very long.

“Seattle would make too much sense,” said the scout. “I read that Ron Francis wants experience and Judd has that. He’s capable of working with a lot of personalities and backgrounds, incorporating different tools and analytics.”

He might not defend like Pietrangelo or score like Hall, but Brackett has shown he can find similar talents through his scouting acumen. And the best part? His services don’t count against the salary cap.

Witchcraft... Oh, but it IS. A dark and terrible magic...

Micky
MVP
MVP

Post by Micky »

Source of the source of the source -----------------------------------------

And:Brackett was ostensibly in charge of the draft, but it doesn’t sound like he always had the easiest time convincing his boss to make certain choices. Thankfully for Canucks fans, Brackett has prevailed more often than not – particularly at the 2017 draft when a skinny Swede was available early.

Is an empty statement... There were others involved in drafting Pettersson including Benning, Bracket AND more. Gradin and even
Inga Hammerstrom..sorry about the spelling.
"evolution"

Madcombinepilot
MVP
MVP

Post by Madcombinepilot »

Why does there always have to be drama???

There is all the speculation and convoluted links trying to weave a story out of apparently Nothing.
‘Bracket and Linden were buddies’ - at that team level, everyone can be seen as buddies.
‘There was tension’ - perhaps someone was talking fast because they needed to go to the bathroom??

There is nothing to this story from any credible team sources. Bracket wants to move up in his career.
There is nowhere for him to go in Vancouver.
So he is moving on.
That’s it.

Boring and true.

There doesn’t have to be schoolyard drama over a guy having a dream and goals of his own. He was good at his job. And we should have been happy to have him and wishing him well in the future, but our salty bag licking media Can’t ever thank a guy and take the high road, thay have to keep slinging shit around like retarded monkeys flinging poo until someone says: ‘that guy is covered is shit!!!’

“Good Luck Mr. Brackett. Thank you for service, I wish you could have stayed, but I wish you well in the future.”
-Madcombinepilot
Canuckscorner.com
The 'Chain of Command' is the chain I am going to beat you with until you understand I am in charge.

The Brown Wizard
MVP
MVP

Post by The Brown Wizard »

All I can say is the team has enjoyed perhaps it's best run of drafting the past 5 or so years and I don't want that to end. Maybe the tension between JB and JB was what made them more effective, maybe that divergence in opinions is the recipe for success.

How we got got here isn't nearly as important as continuing to draft with this level of success
Witchcraft... Oh, but it IS. A dark and terrible magic...

Doyle Hargraves
MVP
MVP

Post by Doyle Hargraves »

SKYO wrote:
Tue May 12, 2020 11:16 pm

People love to hate on Weisbrod - but dude seems on point with scouting.

He does? Based on what exactly? He’s had a pretty sketchy career so far
“ROR IS OVERRATED, MACKINNON IS A BUM, TAVARES IS DONE”

SKYO
CC Legend

Post by SKYO »

In any case the two cornerstone players of the franchise was from my bro Ron Delorme to get Elias Pettersson.
“Ronnie saw him [Petey] early and was a loud voice for him right from the start — even before any of us had seen him,” recalled Canucks general manager Jim Benning. “He was in my office and said ‘we’ve really got to watch this guy.’ He loved his skill and hockey sense.

“We saw Elias anywhere from 70 to 90 times in his draft year because he was a bit of a late bloomer. In Sweden, they identify top kids when they’re 12 or 13 and when he was 14 and 15, he wasn’t one of those. He came more into his own at 17 when he had a growth spurt.”

https://theprovince.com/sports/hockey/n ... raft-radar
And John Weisbrod knew of Quinn Hughes since he was a youngin'...

Quinn Hughes the prodigy - his pops Jim Hughes is a childhood friend with Weisbrod, so he knew how special QH was gonna be as a player.

Those TWO players scouted from Ron and JW are the only reason's the Canucks are relevant today.

Judd Brackett can claim Boeser, Madden, Gaudette, Rathbone, Lockwood (his college scouting) but he definitely didn't deliver on the cornerstone franchise players for the Canucks that's for sure.
Last edited by SKYO on Wed May 13, 2020 8:40 am, edited 1 time in total.
A long time ago, a baseball player remarked: "If I owned a ballclub, I'd hire a $5,000 coach and a $15,000 scout."