Toughest game to watch?

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

Well?

Calgary...triple overtime game 7...94
29%
Calgary....triple overtime game 6 04
43%
The second last game in 99-00 against the Oilers where all we had to do is beat them then I think Just tie the Sharks to make the playoffs.
29%

Total votes: 7

JamesOwnzSam11
CC 2nd Team All-Star

Toughest game to watch?

Post by JamesOwnzSam11 »

3 options...

The 94 game just killed me...I Remember when it ended...my heart nearly stopped just got up and turned off the TV.

The 04 game was much different...I was bitching the entire time " The Canucks don't deserve to win this game...what a bunch of chokers" Then Morrision scored....yay...jumped up and down the house.

I'm sure there are others I could put here but I just saw a video from this game.

As I said in the poll question we just needed to beat the Oilers...we were leading....everything was clicking...Potvin was playing good...Naslund was coming into his own....Messier was playing like Messier ( For a short while anyway)

http://www.geocities.com/messiercaptain ... oilers.mov

Then Potvin remembered he was Potvin and blew it.
Last edited by JamesOwnzSam11 on Tue Aug 15, 2006 11:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Meerschaum
MVP
MVP

Post by Meerschaum »

No, it had to be Game 7 in '89 or '04.

In '89, first Smyl misses the damned net. Then Otto kicks in the Game winner. I've always felt the '89 Flames should have their names sanded off the cup and replaced with the inscription "1989 - A Bunch of Fricken Cheaters."

In '04, there's the incredible high of Cookie scoring to tie it in the last seconds. Then the deflation of the power play goal within seconds of the start of overtime.

Now, the toughest Game for a Flames fan to have watched would have been in '94 when Captain Kirk made "The save". :lol:
Modo vincis, modo vinceris.
JamesOwnzSam11
CC 2nd Team All-Star

Post by JamesOwnzSam11 »

I didn't put the 04 game 7 game cause the ending was so lame...I mean I had just got a coke slurpee, the Chicken wings were ready...I was all ready to go then it was over, just like that.
Soapy
MVP
MVP

Post by Soapy »

The kick in by Otto was brutal. How the ref missed that one I'll never know.
The game where I wanted to throw the TV out the window was when we were eliminated by the WILD. What a horrific collapse. We beat St Louis, if we beat the Wild, we beat Giggy & Anahiem & then face NJ in the finals. That was our best chance at the CUP. Poor performance by a lot of team leaders in that series.
A fanatic is one who can't change his mind and won't change the subject.
-- Winston Churchill
Cookie La Rue
MVP
MVP

Post by Cookie La Rue »

Meerschaum wrote:In '04, there's the incredible high of Cookie scoring to tie it in the last seconds. Then the deflation of the power play goal within seconds of the start of overtime.
I would also opt for this game and you had the game 6 shocker before.

I thought it was over and just prayed with a hockeystick in my hands...when Naslund was dashing in and Cooke scored. :lol:

Unfortunately it was over a few minutes later and had driven me to an emotional hell, what a rollercoaster ride, damn.
"Every dog has its day." - CC Hockey Pool Champion 2004 & 2013 'Moves like Lenarduzzi'
Grizzly
MVP
MVP

Post by Grizzly »

Nathan Lafayette missing what appeared to be a fairly wide open net at MSG against the NYR in game 7 of the finals ... can't quite remember the score but if I remember correctly I think it would have tied the game ... that play still runs through my head with a "What if ...?"

To the poll .... game 7 '94 - Calgary.

Grizz
Last edited by Grizzly on Wed Aug 16, 2006 2:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
stevethiessen
MVP
MVP

Post by stevethiessen »

if my memory serves me correctly, i believe the score was 3-2 at the time, and Lafayette would have tied it, but hit iron. I was pretty young at the time. Regardless, I do remember that at the next whistle, the cameramen focused on Lafayette, and then panned all the way out as far as possible before cutting to commercial, and I remember starting at Lafayette in disbelief the whole time till he was just a tiny dot... sigh.

I'm gonna opt out with the others though, and say the Game 7 2004. That's the all-time Stomach Punch game (see Bill Simmons, ESPN.com for the "levels of losing"). The wild series just made me angry, but we could see that coming in game 6 already, and were just waiting for the other shoe to drop with Cloutier. As for rip-your-heart-out-high-low, its gotta be the game 7/04.
mattola
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by mattola »

Game 7 Against Calgary in 04
Game 7 Against Minnesota in 03

Both were as deflating for me so terrible
MinnesotaCanuck
MVP
MVP

Post by MinnesotaCanuck »

Game 7 of the Cup Finals in 1994 was the one of the worst days of my entire life. I was 10 years old, and had fallen in love with the Canucks the season before. The first Canucks game I ever saw on TV was in the Conference Semis against Dallas (tough to get their games in the Midwest of the US...tougher to get your parents to let you to stay up that late). My dad would have to bring me to my grandma's house to watch them, because she had cable and we didn't.

Some of my classmates would bring cutouts of the Canucks boxscores to school the morning after their playoff games. Of course, I had already gotten up early to check them myself. I must have worn my Canucks jersey to school every day for a month.

On the night of game 7, my grandparents had my whole family over for dinner so I could watch the game. I remember having spaghetti for dinner and crying when the game ended. I knew that the Canucks were going to win that game. I never doubted them, right up until the final buzzer. When the Rangers started throwing the equipment in the air and racing onto the ice, a little piece of me died.

I was pissed when Gelinas beat the Canucks in '04 after the drama of game 6 and the end of regulation in game 7. I was SUPER pissed when the Canucks lost to the Wild, because I had to hear about from every fair-weather Wild fan in the whole damned state. But I doubt that I will ever be as emotionally distraught by a sporting event as I was watching Mark Messier smile that big f*cking smile and lift the Cup.
randymeeks
CC 1st Team All-Star

Post by randymeeks »

Being a Canucks fan., it seems like every good memory gets erased by about 10 bad ones.
38 years without a Stanley Cup and counting.
Grizzly
MVP
MVP

Post by Grizzly »

randymeeks wrote:Being a Canucks fan., it seems like every good memory gets erased by about 10 bad ones.
LOL ... yep I'm 30+ years worth and counting ... maybe one year eh ??

Grizz
Kowch
CC Veteran

Post by Kowch »

Game 7, 1994. To come that close and fail was heartbreaking.