2020/2021 Cap compliance

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

User avatar
The Brown Wizard
MVP
MVP
Posts: 12159
Joined: Sat Jul 09, 2011 10:19 pm
Location: in the shed with a fresh packed bowl

Re: 2020/2021 Cap compliance

Post by The Brown Wizard »

Were in the middle of a playoff push. Cap issues are for after the show...smoke larger joints and ye shall not give a fuck!
Witchcraft... Oh, but it IS. A dark and terrible magic...
User avatar
Cherry Picker
CC Hall of Fan Member
Posts: 1475
Joined: Fri Feb 10, 2012 5:56 am

Re: 2020/2021 Cap compliance

Post by Cherry Picker »

The Brown Wizard wrote: Sat Feb 22, 2020 8:58 am Were in the middle of a playoff push. Cap issues are for after the show...smoke larger joints and ye shall not give a fuck!
I like to stay on top of this because the Urine Crew always panics about the cap. This morning Ed Willes wrote in the Province that Canucks are in a cap crunch, “OPINION: It could be, as GM Jim Benning says, there's a relatively painless solution to the Canucks' cap crunch. ... But it also figures they'll be losing some pretty good hockey players this off-season.”

I don’t think Ed did the math, so I like to check it myself. Seems like everything is fine if the only issue is moving out Baertschi’s contract and not re-signing Stecher (or letting BFU walk as a UFA if Benning does trade for him). For the record, I wouldn’t trade for BFU if I were Benning. No top end players should be lost if they make reasonable demands.

Anyway, just doing my part to ignorant proof the masses before they join the Urine Crew. Now I’ll stop worrying and enjoy the playoff push.
We are all Jim Benning.
User avatar
Hockey Widow
CC Legend
Posts: 16062
Joined: Sun Jul 10, 2011 8:52 pm

Re: 2020/2021 Cap compliance

Post by Hockey Widow »

Being in a cap crunch isn't the end of the world. It does prevent some stupid moves, perhaps. Benning cant go all hog wild unless he moves cap. This is a good thing. There is a reason he didn't pull the trigger on Simmonds. We know it was cap related. But he will circle back Monday afternoon if Simmonds is still available, i.e., get a better deal, one with retention perhaps.

We also know he had an option of having LA retain on Tofolli but it would have cost another pick, he choose to take all the salary. So he is learning.

Again injuries have allowed us to make some moves. But he is being prudent right now. I think Simmonds is still on his wish list but I think he also has his eye on a bigger prize. Whether thats Barrie or not I don't know. So I think his wait on Simmonds has a lot to do with that aspect. He seems to want to clear out Stetcher and perhaps a prospect or two he feels are redundant.

In the off season Im hoping Doc is right and Louie is gone. Boy would that help eh, 6M!! Im also hoping he finds a home for Baertschi. Those two alone plus any cap increase would solve a lot of problems.
The only HW the Canucks need
User avatar
Topper
CC Legend
Posts: 11964
Joined: Wed Sep 15, 2004 8:11 pm
Location: Earth, most days.

Re: 2020/2021 Cap compliance

Post by Topper »

Sven and Loui, future Spengler Cup third team Allstars
Over the Internet, you can pretend to be anyone or anything.

I'm amazed that so many people choose to be complete twats.
User avatar
The Brown Wizard
MVP
MVP
Posts: 12159
Joined: Sat Jul 09, 2011 10:19 pm
Location: in the shed with a fresh packed bowl

Re: 2020/2021 Cap compliance

Post by The Brown Wizard »

Cherry Picker wrote: Sat Feb 22, 2020 9:46 am
The Brown Wizard wrote: Sat Feb 22, 2020 8:58 am Were in the middle of a playoff push. Cap issues are for after the show...smoke larger joints and ye shall not give a fuck!
I like to stay on top of this because the Urine Crew always panics about the cap. This morning Ed Willes wrote in the Province that Canucks are in a cap crunch, “OPINION: It could be, as GM Jim Benning says, there's a relatively painless solution to the Canucks' cap crunch. ... But it also figures they'll be losing some pretty good hockey players this off-season.”

I don’t think Ed did the math, so I like to check it myself. Seems like everything is fine if the only issue is moving out Baertschi’s contract and not re-signing Stecher (or letting BFU walk as a UFA if Benning does trade for him). For the record, I wouldn’t trade for BFU if I were Benning. No top end players should be lost if they make reasonable demands.

Anyway, just doing my part to ignorant proof the masses before they join the Urine Crew. Now I’ll stop worrying and enjoy the playoff push.
Right on man!

Come on Jimmy...lets roll
Witchcraft... Oh, but it IS. A dark and terrible magic...
User avatar
SKYO
CC Legend
Posts: 11901
Joined: Sat Jul 09, 2011 10:34 pm

Re: 2020/2021 Cap compliance

Post by SKYO »

After the season:

Let Marky, Tanev and Leivo go.

Trade Sutter.

Trade Eriksson one way or another.

Likely buyout Baertschi this offseason.
$1.766M cap hit next yr, $800K hit 2021.

That saves: Marky $6M (approx), Tanev $5M (approx), Leivo 1.75M, Sutter $4M, Eriksson $5M (we retain a mill), Baertschi $2M - $24M ish saved one offseason alone.
A long time ago, a baseball player remarked: "If I owned a ballclub, I'd hire a $5,000 coach and a $15,000 scout."
User avatar
Todd Bersnoozi
CC Hall of Fan Member
Posts: 2768
Joined: Wed Oct 12, 2005 4:14 pm

Re: 2020/2021 Cap compliance

Post by Todd Bersnoozi »

SKYO wrote: Fri Feb 28, 2020 7:40 pm After the season:

Let Marky, Tanev and Leivo go.

Leivo 1.75M
I like Leivo and I wouldn't mind keeping him around. He has good size, decent wheels and a pretty good shot. If he didn't get injured, I think he would have been in the mix to be another one of our 20g guys. Hopefully his injury will hurt his sticker price and market value. He should be fairly cheap to sign, I'd give him around $1.5M/year for 2-3 years. We need to find more cheap players to save cap space for Petey + Huggy Bear.
User avatar
Hockey Widow
CC Legend
Posts: 16062
Joined: Sun Jul 10, 2011 8:52 pm

Re: 2020/2021 Cap compliance

Post by Hockey Widow »

Assuming we re-sign Tofolli, who will cost more than we want if he keeps racking up points like this, and assuming we keep Boeser, next year we are pretty loaded again with players.

Top six set.

Pearson/Horvat/Boeser
Miller/Pettersson/Tofolli

Bottom six we have a ton of players, once again.

To me the keepers should be Virtanen, Motte, Gaudette.

That leaves Sutter, Roussell, Beagle, Ericksson, Leivo fighting it out for three spots. But we need to make room for Z Mac, Benning hinted at as much.

So to keep Leivo and add Z Mac we need to dump a couple of bodies. Ericksson alone would be enough cap wise and roster space wise if we run with 14 forwards. But then we only run with 7 D which so far this year has been ok but historically we've usually needed to carry 8.

But with that roster there is no room, other than call ups, to break in another one of the kids. Z Mac would be the lone new guy. I guess thats a good sign.
The only HW the Canucks need
User avatar
Cherry Picker
CC Hall of Fan Member
Posts: 1475
Joined: Fri Feb 10, 2012 5:56 am

Re: 2020/2021 Cap compliance

Post by Cherry Picker »

Eriksson, Roussel, and Beagle would be the best to move because their contracts go one year too long. The Canucks will need their money the year after next when they re-sign Petey and Huggy Bear. Sutter’s ends next year so his isn’t a problem.
We are all Jim Benning.
User avatar
SKYO
CC Legend
Posts: 11901
Joined: Sat Jul 09, 2011 10:34 pm

Re: 2020/2021 Cap compliance

Post by SKYO »

Cherry Picker wrote: Sat Feb 29, 2020 12:51 pm Eriksson, Roussel, and Beagle would be the best to move because their contracts go one year too long. The Canucks will need their money the year after next when they re-sign Petey and Huggy Bear. Sutter’s ends next year so his isn’t a problem.
I predict Seattle will take one of Roussel or Beagle in 2021, good hard working soldiers for an expansion team.
A long time ago, a baseball player remarked: "If I owned a ballclub, I'd hire a $5,000 coach and a $15,000 scout."
User avatar
Island Nucklehead
MVP
MVP
Posts: 8362
Joined: Wed Sep 07, 2005 2:27 pm
Location: Ottawa

Re: 2020/2021 Cap compliance

Post by Island Nucklehead »

SKYO wrote: Sat Feb 29, 2020 3:17 pm
I predict Seattle will take one of Roussel or Beagle in 2021, good hard working soldiers for an expansion team.
i guess they’ll need to make the floor, but I don’t see them selecting either of those guys without an add from our side. Still might be worth it.
ESQ
MVP
MVP
Posts: 3097
Joined: Wed Jul 13, 2011 6:34 pm

Re: 2020/2021 Cap compliance

Post by ESQ »

Word out of the GM meetings is the cap is expected to rise $2.5-6.2 million ($84 to $88.2 million.

If it lands anywhere in the top-half of that range, I think all of Benning's cap problems are solved (with a move of one of Sutter,Baertschi or Loui).
User avatar
Madcombinepilot
MVP
MVP
Posts: 4111
Joined: Mon Aug 09, 2004 9:54 am
Location: Saskatoon, Sk.

Re: 2020/2021 Cap compliance

Post by Madcombinepilot »

SKYO wrote: Sat Feb 29, 2020 3:17 pm
Cherry Picker wrote: Sat Feb 29, 2020 12:51 pm Eriksson, Roussel, and Beagle would be the best to move because their contracts go one year too long. The Canucks will need their money the year after next when they re-sign Petey and Huggy Bear. Sutter’s ends next year so his isn’t a problem.
I predict Seattle will take one of Roussel or Beagle in 2021, good hard working soldiers for an expansion team.
... then why are you in such a quandary about "what to do" with Demers and Marky in the other thread??
The 'Chain of Command' is the chain I am going to beat you with until you understand I am in charge.
User avatar
2Fingers
MVP
MVP
Posts: 5494
Joined: Wed Jan 04, 2012 7:47 am

Re: 2020/2021 Cap compliance

Post by 2Fingers »

ESQ wrote: Wed Mar 04, 2020 9:04 am Word out of the GM meetings is the cap is expected to rise $2.5-6.2 million ($84 to $88.2 million.

If it lands anywhere in the top-half of that range, I think all of Benning's cap problems are solved (with a move of one of Sutter,Baertschi or Loui).
I want $6.2 just to watch the group at HF loss their shit.
User avatar
Meds
CC Legend
Posts: 7877
Joined: Mon Jul 11, 2011 8:50 pm

Re: 2020/2021 Cap compliance

Post by Meds »

ESQ wrote: Wed Mar 04, 2020 9:04 am Word out of the GM meetings is the cap is expected to rise $2.5-6.2 million ($84 to $88.2 million.

If it lands anywhere in the top-half of that range, I think all of Benning's cap problems are solved (with a move of one of Sutter,Baertschi or Loui).
Yeah. That would be sweet. I've been playing a bunch with cap geek using a very conservative $82.5M for the cap.....keeping Toffoli and re-signing Markstrom, were very doable with them coming for a combined $12.5M. All that had to happen was moving out Eriksson and Baertschi and left us a bit of wiggle room.

If we land at even $85M.....wow.
Post Reply