Flames sign Goon, oops Godard

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

Fred
CC Legend

Flames sign Goon, oops Godard

Post by Fred »

Flames are bulking up with an enforcer Godard, does that force DN hand ? to do like wise
cheers
ververgaert
MVP
MVP

Post by ververgaert »

I hope they ( D.N and A.V ) have learnt somthing from Crawfords inability to effectivley use an enforcer. Like it or not ( I like it ) Fighting and intimidation are huge parts of the game, intimidation more so. Not having a bona-fide heavy wieght is a liability. A willing middle wieght such as Brad May is necessary but not enough. YOU need some one that is capable of putting the fear of God into the other team.
Don Cherry for Prime Minister
Fred
CC Legend

Post by Fred »

couldn't agree more, Crow failed to use this as a strategy throughgout his time here. There's a lot of muscle in the western division. Always been my belief that what ever the other coach throws over the boards you best be able to match or better
cheers
MarkMM
CC 1st Team All-Star

Post by MarkMM »

Hmm, we lost Brookbank, Jovo, Bert, Allen and Ruutu, all of which were willing to drop the gloves, but picked up Mitchell, Bouck might make the team, Kesler dropped'em nicely with Iginla and Bieksa is one tough kid. We have some big bodies but I don't see Pyatt, Bulis or Chouinard necessarily being "tough".

We definitely need at least one more player who can fight, I think it's a toss-up between a genuine enforcer or just a tough roster player who is willing and able. I would've liked Brown back, maybe we now sign Strudwick on a two-way for defensive/wing depth?
Mark
Fred
CC Legend

Post by Fred »

I always liked Strudwick, an honest player and I believe a great team man. Not sure if he's a match for the likes of Godard, Big George, Parker and the Boogard. Waht happened to that Coltis Orr kid ?
cheers
Canuck2
CC Veteran

Post by Canuck2 »

Crap, I was hoping Godard would sign with the Canucks...maybe Erskine now? The Canucks might very well have the team with the least amount of toughness in the NHL.
Bartman
MVP
MVP

Post by Bartman »

IMO there is no point having a goon who can't contribute in anyway other than fighting. The true goon is a thing of the past. Guys like Laraque, Simon or McCarty who can conrtribute the odd goal or play a checking role while still doing battle with the teams other heavyweight are still a major asset. But those guys are few and far between.

I would much rather Nonis pick up another guy who can contribute to the team toughness than a useless goon. Any suggestions on who might fill the bill AND be availible via trade?
R.I.P. Luc.
Tukaram
CC 2nd Team All-Star

Post by Tukaram »

If the Canucks decide they really need a thug, hopefully he'll be a right-winger. ;)
Fred
CC Legend

Post by Fred »

Bartman wrote:IMO there is no point having a goon who can't contribute in anyway other than fighting. The true goon is a thing of the past. Guys like Laraque, Simon or McCarty who can conrtribute the odd goal or play a checking role while still doing battle with the teams other heavyweight are still a major asset. But those guys are few and far between.

I would much rather Nonis pick up another guy who can contribute to the team toughness than a useless goon. Any suggestions on who might fill the bill AND be availible via trade?
Your not related to Crawford are you ?

Every team IMO players better against other tough teams if they have a policman themselves. They all stand taller take more risks and are not put off their game. It would be nice if we had a 15 goal scorer who can beat the crap out of Laraque, but sorry to say they're like hens back teeth virutally none existant. Look down the team rosters and every one has a tough guy, they promote a feeling of confidence. Why did Gretsky insist on the trade to include McSorley when he went to LA, why did Gretsky just pick up Laraque. George score 2 goals last season and 6 the season before
cheers
Mike F
AHL Prospect

Re: Flames sign Goon, oops Godard

Post by Mike F »

Fred wrote:Flames are bulking up with an enforcer Godard, does that force DN hand ? to do like wise
This signing will be similar to the signing of Brannt Myhres last year by the Flames -- a tough guy to patrol the ice in Omaha, and to be in the system in the event of some expected shenanigans, but not a guy who will be in the lineup day-to-day (or ever, as was the case with Myhres). Calgary's roster is too complete, and featuring too many expensive NHLers, to make a regular place for a one-dimensional goon.

Bottom line: not anything Nonis need worry about responding to.
Bartman
MVP
MVP

Post by Bartman »

Fred wrote:Your not related to Crawford are you ?

Every team IMO players better against other tough teams if they have a policman themselves. They all stand taller take more risks and are not put off their game. It would be nice if we had a 15 goal scorer who can beat the crap out of Laraque, but sorry to say they're like hens back teeth virutally none existant. Look down the team rosters and every one has a tough guy, they promote a feeling of confidence. Why did Gretsky insist on the trade to include McSorley when he went to LA, why did Gretsky just pick up Laraque. George score 2 goals last season and 6 the season before
For the most part I agree with you. Teams play better knowing they'll be taken care of if things get ugly and the other team has some toughness. I just believe that that can be addressed thru team toughness. I'd rather have a Bryan Allen or two who can hold his own if things get tough than a Kristoff Oliwa who can't do anything except fight.

We ARE lacking in the toughness dept. but I don't want to see us add another waste of roster spot like a Brookbank.

Why did Gretzky insist on McSorley?...It was a different time.

Why did Pheonix trade for Laraque?...He's not a scorer but he has decent hockey sense and can play a bit at both ends of the rink.

Who should we try and pick up?...To be honest I'm not sure.
R.I.P. Luc.
ververgaert
MVP
MVP

Post by ververgaert »

To bad Gino had to age! He was as tough as they got, a good team guy, funny as hell and actually contributed.
Don Cherry for Prime Minister
Bartman
MVP
MVP

Post by Bartman »

ververgaert wrote:To bad Gino had to age! He was as tough as they got, a good team guy, funny as hell and actually contributed.
If the rumors about Bure trying to make a comeback maybe Gino could as well! :D
R.I.P. Luc.
MinnesotaCanuck
MVP
MVP

Post by MinnesotaCanuck »

Here's a glimpse of what other NW division "enforcers" were up to last season. Players listed were among team leaders in penalty minutes.

CALGARY
McCarty: 67 games 13 pts 117 PIM -1 1x healthy scratch
Simon: 72 games 22 pts 94 PIM even 4x healthy scratch

COLORADO
Laperriere: 82 games 45 pts 116 PIM +3 no scratches
May: 54 games 6 pts 82 PIM -14 3x healthy scratch

EDMONTON
Laraque: 72 games 12 pts 73 PIM -5 2x healthy scratch

MINNESOTA
Boogaard: 65 games 6 pts 158 PIM +2 15x healthy scratch

To put this into perspective, the Canucks had three players with over 100 PIMs last season (Bertuzzi [120], Ruutu [142], Allen [118]), though none are renowned for being fighters. As we all know, all three have left this offseason.

Edmonton and Calgary had several scrappy players who aren't "enforcers," but I didn't consider their lineups especially intimidating...Although, they have tougher players than the Canucks current roster. Minnesota needed Boogaard because the rest of its lineup was incredibly soft. Even so, Lemaire sat Boogaard for nearly 20% of the team's games.

Though I love enforcers, I think the role is less important than people give it credit for. I believe the Canucks need to improve team toughness, but--unless they get an elite pugilist like Boogaard--signing a one-dimensional fighter isn't going to help the team very much.
the Cunning Linguist
CC 1st Team All-Star

Post by the Cunning Linguist »

I agree, and with the cap, one dimensional-goons may become endangered species - not too many teams will be able to afford these guys if all they're skilled at is taking a punch.