Would you do a Gagne for Naslund trade straight up?

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

Gagne for Naslund trade straight up

Yes
29%
No Philly needs to give more
54%
No Vancouver needs to give more
2%
Dont trade Naslund at all EVER
15%

Total votes: 41

MinnesotaCanuck
MVP
MVP

Post by MinnesotaCanuck »

Seeing that Martin Havlat signed a $6M/year deal this offseason, there is virtually no chance of Gagne being signed for less than that. I do not believe that Gagne has as much individual ability as Naslund, though he is younger. Also, Naslund is the team captain--a role Gagne would not be able to fill.

Adding Gagne alone does not do anything to improve this team, unless he gets paid less than his market value, because Naslund is a $7M/year player who is only being paid $6M/year.
SRsez
CC 1st Team All-Star

Post by SRsez »

Island Nucklehead wrote:I haven't seen anyone score goals like Naslund.
Then I would suggest you don't watch much hockey. Kid named Joe from Burnaby, has been doing it much better, for much longer.
Real hockey fans refuse to listen to the Idiot(tm)
SRsez
CC 1st Team All-Star

Post by SRsez »

MinnesotaCanuck wrote:Naslund is a $7M/year player who is only being paid $6M/year.
Yeah, okay, what team did you watch last year? The $6M player you're talking about would have been grossly overpaid at $4M.
SRsez
CC 1st Team All-Star

Post by SRsez »

kingofrockstars wrote: Those who say that Naslund is a bad captain didn't watch the man stand in front of 20,000 fans and live television and admit that his team choked.
Why do you give credit for a guy only owning up to the facts? You neglect the real problem - he let the team he is supposed to lead choke. That unquestionably makes him a bad captain, despite your unfounded "respect".
MinnesotaCanuck
MVP
MVP

SRsez wrote:
MinnesotaCanuck wrote:Naslund is a $7M/year player who is only being paid $6M/year.
Yeah, okay, what team did you watch last year? The $6M player you're talking about would have been grossly overpaid at $4M.
32 goals, 47 assists...playing half the season with a groin injury, an injured centerman, and a floating headcase on the opposite wing.

Compare Naslund's numbers (in a down year, no less) to other similarly paid players.

Iginla: 35 goals, 32 assists ($7M in 06-07)
Havlat: (projected over 82 games) 41 goals, 31 assists ($6M in 06-07)
Tanguay: 29 goals, 49 assists ($5M in 06-07)
Lecavalier: 35 goals, 40 assists ($7M+ in 06-07)
St. Louis: 31 goals, 30 assists ($6M in 06-07)
The $6M player you're talking about would have been grossly overpaid at $4M.
I don't see how you can defend your comment. It is baseless.
Grizzly
MVP
MVP

Post by Grizzly »

I think that Naslund is more talented than Gagne and when Naslund is on his game there aren't too many (if any) players I would rather have ... however ... as I have said on numerous occasions on other threads ... I am not so sure his heart is in to it any more and with Bert gone it may be there even less.

Looking on the bright side though ... maybe losing Bert is a good thing for Naslund so now he can really concentrate on hockey as opposed to choosing sides and smoothing things out between Bert, Crow and the other players. I think we are just going to have to wait and see this year who shows up ...

... on a final note ... a longer "off season" should help Naslund fully recover from any nagging injuries so he is 100% healthy going into the new season.

Grizz
Bartman
MVP
MVP

Post by Bartman »

This season should answer a lot of questions about Nazzy and define his legacy with the Canucks.

Unless an offer that can't be refused hits the table and Marcus is willing to wave his NTC then I'd be dissapointed to see him move on this year. If he recovers from his injury, plays like the weight of Bert has been lifted from his shoulders, gets some passes from a healty Morrisson and gets some support from the fans and media this might just be another stand out year. :towel:
R.I.P. Luc.
kingofrockstars
MVP
MVP

Post by kingofrockstars »

SRsez wrote:
kingofrockstars wrote: Those who say that Naslund is a bad captain didn't watch the man stand in front of 20,000 fans and live television and admit that his team choked.
Why do you give credit for a guy only owning up to the facts? You neglect the real problem - he let the team he is supposed to lead choke. That unquestionably makes him a bad captain, despite your unfounded "respect".
That's the point. He did own up to it. Why is respect in quotes?
Madcombinepilot
MVP
MVP

Post by Madcombinepilot »

I guess if he would have blames it on coaching, managment or other players, that would have made him a good captain? or perhaps he should have just went out and scored a hat trick? Nobody said he was one of the 'great captains' of hockey. Just that he is the best one we have had for a while.

My question as to the trade would be why is everyone so gung-ho to trade a superstar in this town after they play here for 6 years or so? Started with Bure, then Bertuzzi, and now (and I predicted this would happen if we traded Bertuzzi) the sights are settling on Naslund. gimme a break. DN has almost finished building the team for this year (and done an impressive job on paper) and a couple clowns are already bashing the team, before it even hits the ice.

The grey squishy stuff betwen your ears is not supposed to be play doh. Naslund has a No Trade Clause in his contract. That term is reasonbly self explanitory. Naslund has said - over and over- he wants to play HERE. He is not going anywhere -- unless the media uses its power of persuasion over the uneducated for evil and whips up the mob to run him out of town. I wish this teams fans (and especially the media) could remember that the 'PANIC' button need not be depressed 100% of the time.
The 'Chain of Command' is the chain I am going to beat you with until you understand I am in charge.
jchockey
MVP
MVP

Post by jchockey »

Oh boy... back to the Naslund is a sh*t captain, overpaid, softie winger debate....

Let's stay on topic, shall we?

I would not do a Gagne for a Naslund straight up. Maybe in NHL 06 I would, but not in real life. Gagne is younger, has more upside, and plays better defensively. Yet I prefer to respect players who have stayed with a team for a long time and keep them here. Morally, I don't think I'd be able to pull the trigger.
Linden Is God
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Linden Is God »

jchockey wrote:Oh boy... back to the Naslund is a sh*t captain, overpaid, softie winger debate....

Let's stay on topic, shall we?

I would not do a Gagne for a Naslund straight up. Maybe in NHL 06 I would, but not in real life. Gagne is younger, has more upside, and plays better defensively. Yet I prefer to respect players who have stayed with a team for a long time and keep them here. Morally, I don't think I'd be able to pull the trigger.
I pretty much feel the same.
GO CANUCKS GO !!!

:towel: :towel: :towel:
Kowch
CC Veteran

Post by Kowch »

Madcombinepilot wrote:

My question as to the trade would be why is everyone so gung-ho to trade a superstar in this town after they play here for 6 years or so? Started with Bure, then Bertuzzi, and now (and I predicted this would happen if we traded Bertuzzi) the sights are settling on Naslund. gimme a break. DN has almost finished building the team for this year (and done an impressive job on paper) and a couple clowns are already bashing the team, before it even hits the ice.
First off, I don't think anyone wanted to trade Bure. Bure held out and forced a trade. People (IMO, for good reason) torched him for wanting out of a city that more or less made him a king. Everyone I new _loved_ having Bure on the team.

Bertuzzi is another matter. For all the talent that guy had, he was a distraction to the team. Again, I don't believe that the media or fans are behind him getting traded out of town - he did something really stupid (Moore incident) and he took a lot of nights off.

Markus isn't being (and won't be) run out of town. I've long stated that if Nonis gets an offer that improves the team that he'd be stupid for not pulling the trigger or at least considering it. If we got Gagne AND Richards from Philly.... why wouldn't he look at that deal? Gagne straight up, not so much.
The grey squishy stuff betwen your ears is not supposed to be play doh. Naslund has a No Trade Clause in his contract. That term is reasonbly self explanitory. Naslund has said - over and over- he wants to play HERE. He is not going anywhere -- unless the media uses its power of persuasion over the uneducated for evil and whips up the mob to run him out of town. I wish this teams fans (and especially the media) could remember that the 'PANIC' button need not be depressed 100% of the time.
A NTC is more that the player gets a say in where he goes if traded rather than showing loyalty to the team/city.

This constant beating of the media and fans is getting tiresome. At the end of the day, Nonis (or whoever is GM) needs to try and improve this team - otherwise we end up like the Blackhawks or Islanders (or Toronto). Just considering trading Naslund is hardly pushing the panic button.
MinnesotaCanuck
MVP
MVP

Naslund is not being "shopped," nor should he be. However, any wise GM should entertain trade offers from other teams--there are no 'untradeable assets' ever. It doesn't hurt to inquire to other teams as well. I am sure Nonis understands Naslund's value as well as anyone. He also understands what Naslund means to the fans. He is not going to trade Naslund for even a slight improvement in value, for fear of fan backlash. If he deals Naslund, he will be overcompensated for him.
Grizzly
MVP
MVP

Post by Grizzly »

He is not going to trade Naslund for even a slight improvement in value, for fear of fan backlash. If he deals Naslund, he will be overcompensated for him.
Agreed MC ... and there is alot more to "slight improvement" too ... on the ice skill wise is a consideration in a trade but so is on the ice chemistry, in the locker room leadership and off the ice fan relations & recognition. Markus has been around Van a while now and there would cetainly be some big shoes to fill on many different levels and aspects. I don't think it is a matter of just getting a bit better player.

In relation to the other thread too about the captaincy issue ... who do we get ? Do we keep Naslund as captain etc.? I think its hard just to trade for someone to come in and fill the shoes of captaincy or of a significant magnitude ... not saying it can't be done, but guys like Linden & Smyl who have been our captains in the past provided alot more than just on the ice production. So as far as trading Naslund there is definitely a lot to consider ... the whole package needs to be evaluated and looked at.

Grizz
Soapy
MVP
MVP

Post by Soapy »

My first post so don't judge me by my first shift.
I would not trade Naslund until after I've seen him play with a first rate play maker ( Forsberg/Conroy) and this is not a slight on Mo but Iggy got a bunch with a great passer & no one expected as much from Gagne until we saw the hi-lite passes from Forsberg.
As for the 'C'...Linden hated Bertuzzi. Naslund loved/tolerated Bert. Mo & Linden are close. Maybe we should make the 'C' smaller.....
A fanatic is one who can't change his mind and won't change the subject.
-- Winston Churchill