2006-2007 Canucks Roster, Salaries & Info

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

Grizzly
MVP
MVP

Post by Grizzly »

Awesome VHF ... exactly what we need to see how things are unfolding salary wise etc.. You sent a copy to DN of course eh ?? !!

Any thoughts from anyone when you look at the roster as a whole ?? I had been thinking that our defence wasn't all that strong and that we would need some experience but my first impressions from looking at the roster now is that from an offensive point of view we are also a little thin... we are really going to need to count on the Sedin's this year for some big production.

As well we are also going to have to rely on strong seasons from Willie, Ohlie, Salo and Luongo in the back if we are going to splash into the playoffs. The West is pretty strong right now.

Grizz
MinnesotaCanuck
MVP
MVP

Post by MinnesotaCanuck »

Grizzly wrote: Any thoughts from anyone when you look at the roster as a whole ?? I had been thinking that our defence wasn't all that strong and that we would need some experience but my first impressions from looking at the roster now is that from an offensive point of view we are also a little thin... we are really going to need to count on the Sedin's this year for some big production.

As well we are also going to have to rely on strong seasons from Willie, Ohlie, Salo and Luongo in the back if we are going to splash into the playoffs. The West is pretty strong right now.
Those were basically my sentiments in the other thread. A couple of injuries, and this team will struggle mightily. I don't see how the team can address these issues fully before the season begins. I believe they will be forced to address them as they arise--which isn't necessarily a bad strategy.
jchockey
MVP
MVP

Post by jchockey »

Not to mention one of the toughest schedules this year.... travelling and opponents-wise.
MarkMM
CC 1st Team All-Star

Post by MarkMM »

cujo06 wrote:nice site :lol:
is it just me or is matt cook and willie mitchell overpaid??
Mitchell is not overpaid. Look at what other d-men were getting, remember what he was like in the playoffs, no, he's good value at $3.5 million, keep in mind how quickly he was snatched up. Word has it that he took a bit of a home-town discount to come to us, looking at other d-men UFA's, he probably could have gotten more elsewhere, although he scores less than other d-men, he'll prevent a lot more goals against.

Cooke, yeah, I thought he was overpaid for a third-line checker, but if used in a more offensive role on a team that rolls four lines, with the possibility that he might get top-six time, I'll withhold judgement as to whether he's overpaid until we see how he's utilized in the season.

As for the Canucks depth, yeah, we're an injury away in our top-3 on defense from being in serious trouble, and we may not have the cap room to compensate. That said, most other teams are in the same spot, and the problem with the Canucks depth has less to do with Nonis' decisions as with us trading away picks and prospects in the past, and not drafting well, both of which seem to be improving under Nonis.
Mark
VHF
CC Rookie

Post by VHF »

Updated to include Fitzpatrick. I assume he'll be ahead of Tremblay on the depth chart. His salary is estimated and it's probably a 2-way. I'll further update when the details are released.

http://members.shaw.ca/alexgy/CancuksSalaryCap06v2.htm
it's just a game...dammit!
Harold
CC Veteran

Post by Harold »

Cujo06? Does that mean you are a Phoenix Coyotes fan? If that is the case, I think you are well aware that Phoenix set the bar with overpaying in giving $6.5M per and $32M to Jovo.
levelheaded
MVP
MVP

Post by levelheaded »

Harold wrote:
Cujo06? Does that mean you are a Phoenix Coyotes fan? If that is the case, I think you are well aware that Phoenix set the bar with overpaying in giving $6.5M per and $32M to Jovo.
Actually I'd give that title to Toronto for Pavel Kubina and Hal Gill. At least Jovo has SOME sort of upside...
sic puppy
CC 2nd Team All-Star

Post by sic puppy »

Brian CC wrote:Nice work VHF...with you blessing I would love to add that to the site, with full credit to you of course.
Brian, any chance of making this a sticky ? 8-)

I see VHF has updated to include the Kesler signing....had to go looking to find it tho'

p.s. thanx, VHF always good to find timely info.
jchockey
MVP
MVP

Post by jchockey »

If you're interested in other teams' #s, I suggest this site I've been using for a long time:
http://www.geocities.com/rmccleary97/index.htm

Download the excel document, and on the bottom of the screen there will be tabs for total team salaries, individual player salaries (pro + farm).

I find it quite comprehensive and useful.
steeda3
AHL Prospect

Post by steeda3 »

Nothing but alot of over paid players on that roster.....Mitchell isn't worth 3.5 a year and Luongo isn't worth 6.75....No way in hell....

People can say what they want.....But this team want win 30 games this year. Not enough offense......I think Nonis is a idiot and he's a racist as well....

There was absolutely no need to offer Luongo that big of a contract that early and he gave up far to much to get him here....He should have made sure, that he resigned all his stars from last season BEFORE he tried to secure Luongo....

Now look at what he's doing in the pre-season....NOTHING.....Sure his supporters will say Hey it's only preseason....Well if your getting paid 6.75 million a season....You had better work your ass off every single time you step on the ice or you will loose there respect and that team won't succeed.

Lastly, I can't wait to see what many of you are gonna say when NO ONE can create the chemistry with the Sedins the way Carter did...That man should have been re-signed but Numb Nuts Nonis is a racists and he didn't want to offer Carter a proven 30+Goal scorer 2.5.....Instead he gives it to a BUM by the name of Ryan Kessler when he didn't even score 10 goals and got his arse beat by every fighter he faced on the ice......I can't wait until NUMB NUTS NONIS is fired at the end of the season.
MarkMM
CC 1st Team All-Star

Post by MarkMM »

steeda3 wrote:Nothing but alot of over paid players on that roster.....Mitchell isn't worth 3.5 a year and Luongo isn't worth 6.75....No way in hell....

People can say what they want.....But this team want win 30 games this year. Not enough offense......I think Nonis is a idiot and he's a racist as well....

There was absolutely no need to offer Luongo that big of a contract that early and he gave up far to much to get him here....He should have made sure, that he resigned all his stars from last season BEFORE he tried to secure Luongo....

Now look at what he's doing in the pre-season....NOTHING.....Sure his supporters will say Hey it's only preseason....Well if your getting paid 6.75 million a season....You had better work your ass off every single time you step on the ice or you will loose there respect and that team won't succeed.

Lastly, I can't wait to see what many of you are gonna say when NO ONE can create the chemistry with the Sedins the way Carter did...That man should have been re-signed but Numb Nuts Nonis is a racists and he didn't want to offer Carter a proven 30+Goal scorer 2.5.....Instead he gives it to a BUM by the name of Ryan Kessler when he didn't even score 10 goals and got his arse beat by every fighter he faced on the ice......I can't wait until NUMB NUTS NONIS is fired at the end of the season.
No need to get hysterical, and last I checked, last year's stars got us pretty long on the road to nowhere.

The most important position is goaltending, a team is not a contender till they have elite goaltending as a general rule, last season Nonis was asked who in his mind was the best goaltender, and he didn't even wait for the question to be finished before he blurted out "Luongo". He named his favorite player in the most important position, and went out and got him, while unloading a team distraction in Bertuzzi, and yes, a solid defenseman in Allen but got back Krajicek who has great upside, and he also gave up Auld, who was redundant with Luongo here. Smart deal.

I've stated before I wanted Carter back and I do think he created chemistry with the Sedins, but on balance, he needed them more than they needed him. Stop hiding behind the race card, there are plenty of reasons on the white ice why he wasn't worth it, and last I checked 28 other GM's also passed on him, and if you point to the deal he got, don't forget he was demanding $3 million a year for 3 years, he got less than that on a one-year deal, face the facts, right or wrong, it was basically a league consensus that he wasn't worth it. I wouldn't have signed him for what he was demanding, and before you call me a white supremacist, meet me and I'll send you a guide I co-wrote on how to fight racism.

Regarding Mitchell, anyone remembering his titanic battles with Bert will know why he's valuable, the fact that he was signed as soon as free-agency opened while your beloved Carter was left hanging till the beginning of pre-season says something about talent judgement here. Mitchell also provides strong leadership to off-set a truly overpaid Jovo, and for all the offense we've lost on Jovo, Krajicek (whom Nonis astutely picked up from Florida) can help off-set that, we'll be going to a more defensive play and Mitchell will save more goals than Jovo cost us, so we'll be ahead in the game. He brings a toughness we've lacked on the back-end as well, and if you look at other signings around the league, $3.5 million is solid value, and it's been pointed out that Mitchell could have taken more money elsewhere, while Carter took whatever he could, even giving up the long-term deal he apparently was after.

Nonis was planning on sticking to the ~$800k figure he thought Kesler was worth, but other factors intervened, I actually called for Nonis to walk away from the deal but I also have no problem with matching it on principle, so don't use that as an excuse. Moreover, matching allows us to keep his rights for years or at least get more compensation back next year, Kesler has toughness Carter doesn't, he's better defensively, faster, younger, has more leadership potential, and as a centre who can play wing, is more versatile.

Calling people racist doesn't strengthen a weak argument.
Mark
steeda3
AHL Prospect

Post by steeda3 »

MarkMM wrote:
steeda3 wrote:Nothing but alot of over paid players on that roster.....Mitchell isn't worth 3.5 a year and Luongo isn't worth 6.75....No way in hell....

No need to get hysterical, and last I checked, last year's stars got us pretty long on the road to nowhere.

The most important position is goaltending, a team is not a contender till they have elite goaltending as a general rule, last season Nonis was asked who in his mind was the best goaltender, and he didn't even wait for the question to be finished before he blurted out "Luongo". He named his favorite player in the most important position, and went out and got him, while unloading a team distraction in Bertuzzi, and yes, a solid defenseman in Allen but got back Krajicek who has great upside, and he also gave up Auld, who was redundant with Luongo here. Smart deal.

I've stated before I wanted Carter back and I do think he created chemistry with the Sedins, but on balance, he needed them more than they needed him. Stop hiding behind the race card, there are plenty of reasons on the white ice why he wasn't worth it, and last I checked 28 other GM's also passed on him, and if you point to the deal he got, don't forget he was demanding $3 million a year for 3 years, he got less than that on a one-year deal, face the facts, right or wrong, it was basically a league consensus that he wasn't worth it. I wouldn't have signed him for what he was demanding, and before you call me a white supremacist, meet me and I'll send you a guide I co-wrote on how to fight racism.

Regarding Mitchell, anyone remembering his titanic battles with Bert will know why he's valuable, the fact that he was signed as soon as free-agency opened while your beloved Carter was left hanging till the beginning of pre-season says something about talent judgement here. Mitchell also provides strong leadership to off-set a truly overpaid Jovo, and for all the offense we've lost on Jovo, Krajicek (whom Nonis astutely picked up from Florida) can help off-set that, we'll be going to a more defensive play and Mitchell will save more goals than Jovo cost us, so we'll be ahead in the game. He brings a toughness we've lacked on the back-end as well, and if you look at other signings around the league, $3.5 million is solid value, and it's been pointed out that Mitchell could have taken more money elsewhere, while Carter took whatever he could, even giving up the long-term deal he apparently was after.

Nonis was planning on sticking to the ~$800k figure he thought Kesler was worth, but other factors intervened, I actually called for Nonis to walk away from the deal but I also have no problem with matching it on principle, so don't use that as an excuse. Moreover, matching allows us to keep his rights for years or at least get more compensation back next year, Kesler has toughness Carter doesn't, he's better defensively, faster, younger, has more leadership potential, and as a centre who can play wing, is more versatile.

Calling people racist doesn't strengthen a weak argument.
My agrument isn't weak by any means...but your entitled to your own opinion...I can and I will respect that..

Anson Carter was worth more than the 1.5 million Nonis offered him
Ray Emery is worth more than the 925,000 he was given...

I think these Black Atheletes are getting screwed in the NHL....If Kesler is worth 1.9.....Carter should have gotten his 3 million and NO ONE should be arguing that. If Carter keeps up the pace he's on for 18 years....His Goal numbers will be better than Linden's.....Check his stats for yourself...
MarkMM
CC 1st Team All-Star

Post by MarkMM »

Find me one person here who has argued that Kesler is worth $1.9 million, and we can laugh together. But he's an outrigger, Bobby Clarke threw sanity to the wind and threatened the league's salary structure and that's why it was matched, out of principle, there's not a GM in or outside Vancouver who thinks he's worth that much, but it was for other reasons he was matched. (For the record, I called for Nonis to walk from the deal, but I see why he matched.)

There are various intangibles, I would have paid Carter as much as $2.5 million, but my read on it is that he was holding out for more, at the very least a long-term deal, and Nonis didn't think it was going to happen and spent his money elsewhere (Bulis, hoping he'd be a similar break-out story, Chouinard to add depth), so by the time Carter was forced down off his demands, we didn't have the room left for him.

I, too, agree that Kesler wasn't worth $1.9 million and I would have walked, but by that time we were in a bit of a bind. There wasn't anyone left we could replace him with, a 2nd round pick wouldn't have helped, and there was the motivation to match him out of principle as has been NHL practice with RFA's, so I wouldn't of but Nonis did, I see his reasoning, but it doesn't mean either me or Nonis or anyone else thinks he's worth it.

Emery's salary isn't a factor, he got paid what he did because he's a 23 year-old RFA with no bargaining power, Kesler was a fluke because as everyone admits, Bobby Clarke threw sanity to the wind, so any Kesler comparison is ALWAYS going to be bunk.

Of course Carter's goal numbers will be better than Linden's, Carter is younger and is a goal-scorer, I'll bet that Carter's numbers will be better than most other third/fourth liners, they have a different job. Linden is getting paid a lot less to do a different job, provide character, defensive ability, penalty-killing and face-offs, so the comparison doesn't work either.
Mark
VHF
CC Rookie

Post by VHF »

I forgot to upload and mention that I made several updates to the roster page a few days ago. You made need to hit refresh to see the changes.

http://members.shaw.ca/alexgy/CancuksSalaryCap06v2.htm
it's just a game...dammit!
jchockey
MVP
MVP

Post by jchockey »

steeda3 wrote: There was absolutely no need to offer Luongo that big of a contract that early and he gave up far to much to get him here....He should have made sure, that he resigned all his stars from last season BEFORE he tried to secure Luongo....

1. If the key to rebuilding a team starts from the net out, as Nonis has repeatedly said (and other "experts" too), then you do sign Luongo first. You may not agree with the moves he has done but Nonis has stuck to his agenda. Kudos to him.

2. Where do you get your info from? Anson Carter has NEVER hit the 30-goal plateau until last year. He is not a proven 30+ goal scorer. The closest he got was 28 back in Edmonton 5 five years ago. If you're gonna go so far as calling Nonis a racist, why not call Doug MacLean one too? Nikolai Zherdev, a 27-goal scorer with more upside than Carter, gets low-balled with offers. And yet MacLean goes out and signs Carter for the same price Zherdev is asking. Does that not make MacLean racist too?

I'd hate to see your face when whoever the Sedins' linemate is hits 30 goals. And in the meantime Carter rots in Columbus and never hits 30 again. And if you're serious about Emery being underpaid and willing to offer him $1 million per year, by all means do so, but remember that he is a backup, drafted in the 4th round, with less than 50 games of experience under his belt. Not to mention one Martin Gerber playing in front of him who helped the 'Canes reach the playoffs.

And I have no idea what articles you read, but Nonis wasn't too thrilled he had to sign Kesler to $1.9 million either. And Kesler did score 10 goals last year, by the way. And oh, did I mention Kesler is not a scrapper either?