The next captain of the canucks?

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

Who should be the next Captain of the canucks?

Mattias Ohlund
11%
Ed Jovanoski
57%
Matt Cooke
9%
Trevor Linden
14%
Brendan Morrison
9%

Total votes: 35

ververgaert
MVP
MVP

Post by ververgaert »

I had to vote for Linden. I think he's still pretty got a few good years in him,lots of respect around the league and from the refs. Ed just has to many "special ed " moments for my liking. Cooke? noway never, too many cheap shots and not enough backing them up,plus he lost to Moore and that is unforgivable.
Don Cherry for Prime Minister
nucks_girl
CC Veteran

Post by nucks_girl »

i would say jovo as well. hes tough, hes gritty and he holds this team in his heart. hes very vocal on the ice with the team as well, which i love. and like mentioned before, the hits he can throw out, or how he jumps into the rush, and can turn a game around in an instant.

as much as i love linden, i dont think its his time anymore as captain of our team. yes, i know, its shocking, that i, of all people, would say this! but hes brilliant with the "A".

morrison would be ok with me. he really showed how much heart hes got in this past season, and hes good in the locker room, good with the media, and easy on the eyes. ;) but so is jovo...

ohlund is a great presence, but i dont think hes vocal enough. love him, but dont think hes suited for it.

cooke is a definite no for all the previous reasons that were listed.

bertuzzi - isnt gonna happen anytime soon unless he comes back with a vengeance on the ice, and plays his ass off so in due time, the "incident" becomes just a faint memory.
ververgaert
MVP
MVP

Post by ververgaert »

You guys know what a "special Ed" moment is dont you? Its like when you write and submit somthing like this!

Ververgaert wrote

I had to vote for Linden . He's still pretty got a few goodyears in him.

Yikes![/quote]
Don Cherry for Prime Minister
Shapeshyfter
AHL Prospect

Post by Shapeshyfter »

Someone vote for Ohlund. even if he doesn't want the captaincy, he should still have a vote.
jchockey
MVP
MVP

Post by jchockey »

Shapeshyfter wrote:Someone vote for Ohlund. even if he doesn't want the captaincy, he should still have a vote.
who'd you vote for then? :roll:
Shapeshyfter
AHL Prospect

Post by Shapeshyfter »

Linden
Heavy_P
AHL Prospect

Post by Heavy_P »

I voted for Eddie. I think he would be the player to best wear the C.

I think it would have been Bertuzzi, but who knows what kind of player he will be when he comes back.

I like Linden, but he is a great leader wheather he is wearing the C or not, Jovo is for sure the best coice for the C.
"No, if your jaw were broken, you would'nt be able to talk...and my life would be much easier." - Oracle
Madcombinepilot
MVP
MVP

Post by Madcombinepilot »

Jovo seems to be w alking away with this. It would be intresting to keep the results of this poll somewhere, and compare them with the poll we have in 2 years....
Shapeshyfter
AHL Prospect

Post by Shapeshyfter »

Yea. Jovo would make a good captain. but I would like to see Linden with the C again.
F15 Driver
MVP
MVP

Post by F15 Driver »

Oh ya, Eddie for sure.
He'd like to stay with the team for his career, I asked him myself.
He really has come out of his shell since helping Team Canada win Olympic Gold.
He's much more at ease in front of the cameras and is very intense on the ice.
Ed is my choice for sure.
(But, I hope Nazzy stays as long as he wants).
yammi
CC Veteran

Post by yammi »

Jovo, of course, is no angel. Remember his legal troubles a few years ago? As a junior player, wasn't he and a couple of Windsor players charged with property damage of some sort. And remember his sexual assault charge?

"Team Canada defenceman Ed Jovanovski ... was charged with sexual assault back in 1995. Jovanovski's lawyer told reporters of a variety of alleged instances of misconduct by the woman, including one that she had charged and then withdrawn her charges against a teacher. For good measure, Jovanovski's defence team announced it was suing the woman for damages. The charge against Jovanovski was withdrawn before the trial."
(from Toronto Sun, Sept 3, 2004)

http://www.canoe.ca/NewsStand/TorontoSu ... 14081.html

Maybe Matias is the better choice for the C when Naslund bails.
Triplets
AHL Prospect

Post by Triplets »

Its understandable that Jovo is the popular choice. He young, vocal, emotional, and represents the canucks future.

However,

The "negatives" that are being mentioned about Ohlund could also have been said about Naslund before he became Captain. You dont need to be a vocal rah rah guy to be an effectice leader. Obviously Naslund isnt this kind of a guy either, yet most of us would love to have him continue to wear the C.

Ohlund has always been underappreciated. He is a much better defencemsn thsn msny give hin credit for. He is reliable, rarely makes mistakes, and is perfectly willing to sacrifice personal gain for the team. He's played through injuries, stood up for teammates, but doesnt seek the limelight. While this may mean he doesnt want the C, but I cant think of better qualities for the next leader of our team.

Hopefully, this discussion is all moot, as Naslund will be around for a long time yet.
Canada is a country whose main exports are hockey players and cold fronts. Our main imports are baseball players and acid rain.
Pierre Trudeau - Prime Minister of Canada 1968-1979
Triplets
AHL Prospect

Post by Triplets »

OOOPS

Doube post.
Canada is a country whose main exports are hockey players and cold fronts. Our main imports are baseball players and acid rain.
Pierre Trudeau - Prime Minister of Canada 1968-1979
Blob Mckenzie
MVP
MVP

Post by Blob Mckenzie »

yammi wrote:Jovo, of course, is no angel. Remember his legal troubles a few years ago? As a junior player, wasn't he and a couple of Windsor players charged with property damage of some sort. And remember his sexual assault charge?

"Team Canada defenceman Ed Jovanovski ... was charged with sexual assault back in 1995. Jovanovski's lawyer told reporters of a variety of alleged instances of misconduct by the woman, including one that she had charged and then withdrawn her charges against a teacher. For good measure, Jovanovski's defence team announced it was suing the woman for damages. The charge against Jovanovski was withdrawn before the trial."
(from Toronto Sun, Sept 3, 2004)

http://www.canoe.ca/NewsStand/TorontoSu ... 14081.html

Maybe Matias is the better choice for the C when Naslund bails.
Gesus Christ he was CHARGED not convicted. Who the hell are you? Judge, Jury and Executioner ?
nucks_girl
CC Veteran

Post by nucks_girl »

Narg wrote:If Paul Kariya does infact sign here, how about him?

He's basically Markus Naslund, Canadian Edition...

Or if (wishful thinking) next year we are successful in luring Scott Nidermayer here, he could be a strong candidate as well...

But for players currently on the roster, Jovanovski or (I'll get some heat for this) Bertuzzi. To say Bertuzzi is too 'foul tempered'...well, last time I checked, so was Jovanovski...
i would NOT want kariya to be captain of this team. no way, no how. i just cant see him with the "C", and i dont think he would be a good captain for THIS team. niedermayer would be great, bertuzzi would be ok, since media is fickle, and will forget about his media troubles after the canucks start winning with him. but i'd still have to say jovo.