Around the league (signings, RFAs injuries)

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

Cherry Picker
CC 1st Team All-Star

Re: Around the league (signings, RFAs injuries)

Post by Cherry Picker »

I don’t dislike any of the guys being let go. That being said, I usually prefer TSN hockey commentary vrs SN, so there is generally room for improvement. Not sure if these are the right moves, but I won’t be surprised if a reorganized SN provides a better product. Maybe they can provide some non-Toronto programming (ha!). Some regional shows (BC or at least western Canadian?) would be a good idea.
We are all Snidely Whiplash.
2Fingers
MVP
MVP

Post by 2Fingers »

Cherry Picker wrote: Wed Aug 28, 2019 2:03 pm I don’t dislike any of the guys being let go. That being said, I usually prefer TSN hockey commentary vrs SN, so there is generally room for improvement. Not sure if these are the right moves, but I won’t be surprised if a reorganized SN provides a better product. Maybe they can provide some non-Toronto programming (ha!). Some regional shows (BC or at least western Canadian?) would be a good idea.
If anything their Toronto coverage is getting worse, I also believe Sportsnet is now more Toronto biased that TSN.

IF you visit Sportsnet, I would say the lead story you see on your phone is all about Toronto. Right now it is every Blue Jays, just check randomly over the next week at different times of the day and you will see. Getting to the point where I do not know where to go just to get a balanced approach to sports in Canada.
Mickey107
MVP
MVP

Post by Mickey107 »

Draisaitl unfazed by team drama

https://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/dra ... -playoffs/
Re: Puljujärvi: “He’s a young guy that obviously doesn’t feel like he wants to play for us anymore, but I’ll leave it at that,” says Draisaitl, noting that he never got a sense of Puljujarvi’s dissatisfaction.

“You want guys to pan out, and you want guys to help you on your team, but, again, it seems like he doesn’t want to be on our team as of right now. Maybe that changes, but, again, we have people that get paid a lot of money to make those decisions.”
"evolution"
ESQ
MVP
MVP

Post by ESQ »

Reefer2 wrote: Wed Aug 28, 2019 2:07 pm
If anything their Toronto coverage is getting worse, I also believe Sportsnet is now more Toronto biased that TSN.

IF you visit Sportsnet, I would say the lead story you see on your phone is all about Toronto. Right now it is every Blue Jays, just check randomly over the next week at different times of the day and you will see. Getting to the point where I do not know where to go just to get a balanced approach to sports in Canada.
I totally side with Don Taylor on Rogers shutting down local production.

The ratings are dwindling, and the answer is not to cut costs and have fewer voices (all broadcasting from Toronto, of course).

The only show I'd bother to watch is the CBC HNIC coverage, and they have turfed half the panel.

It's a sad state that the NHL, through its greed, accepted Rogers exclusive rights deal, and left us with junk media...only what, 7 more years to go! :cry:

Hard to believe how good we had it - Wednesday nights on tsn, Thursdays on Sportsnet, Saturday on CBC, and local coverage the rest of the week.
Tciso
MVP
MVP

Post by Tciso »

ESQ wrote: Thu Aug 29, 2019 7:59 am
Reefer2 wrote: Wed Aug 28, 2019 2:07 pm

I totally side with Don Taylor on Rogers shutting down local production.

The ratings are dwindling, and the answer is not to cut costs and have fewer voices (all broadcasting from Toronto, of course).

The only show I'd bother to watch is the CBC HNIC coverage, and they have turfed half the panel.

It's a sad state that the NHL, through its greed, accepted Rogers exclusive rights deal, and left us with junk media...only what, 7 more years to go! :cry:

Hard to believe how good we had it - Wednesday nights on tsn, Thursdays on Sportsnet, Saturday on CBC, and local coverage the rest of the week.
That is what happens when you don't have competition. Mediocrity seeps in, and it is damned hard to get it out. Just ask any bureaucracy, or the Oilers for the last decade.
The Cup is soooooo ours!!!!!!!
Mickey107
MVP
MVP

Post by Mickey107 »

Jim Matheson
@NHLbyMatty
If Oilers talking to Tampa re Puljujarvi for young player, most likely they would want C Anthony Cirelli or D man they wanted to draft in Jesse's draft year Sergachev. Most likely prospect winger: Taylor Raddysh, who had 46 pts in first AHL season. Former jr teammate of McDavid
2:42 PM · Aug 29, 2019
"evolution"
Mickey107
MVP
MVP

Post by Mickey107 »

Will there be a mad rush of signings, trades and decisions on player movement in general Tuesday?

I wish some GM / Team would announce something humungus on a Labor Day weekend.
All the Dads, (and Moms), be driving around trying to get to one last summer destination or event with the younguns
in the back yelling "Are we there yet?" Edit; kids get more slack these days; Are we fucking there yet? The news comes over the radio.
Dad / Mom slams on the brakes, turns around to one of the kids and says; Gimmy your GD pad! I gotta check in with my forum.
"evolution"
Mickey107
MVP
MVP

Post by Mickey107 »

hutton rumors to LA
"evolution"
Mickey107
MVP
MVP

Post by Mickey107 »

https://thehockeynews.com/news/article/ ... in-2019-20
Vancouver Canucks – Thatcher Demko, G, 23
Demko has the size and athleticism needed to thrive in today’s NHL. He’ll use this year to learn under Jacob Markstrom before likely taking the starting role in 2020-21. He has nothing left to prove in the AHL and he’s the goalie of the future in Vancouver.
Oh wow, are they forgetting someone? ..Nothing against Demko but I would have thought Hughes in this case?
"evolution"
Mickey107
MVP
MVP

Post by Mickey107 »

NHL; Blues re-sign Ivan Barbashev, keeping key piece of the puzzle
WRITTEN BY
SAMMI SILBER

Speculation over Ivan Barbashev's future is officially over.

The St. Louis Blues have re-signed the Russian forward to a two-year contract that carries an AAV of $1.475 million, the team announced on Sunday.
As negotiations dragged on through the summer between the team and the restricted free agent, Barbashev's camp revealed that he was also considering playing overseas in 2019-20, per The Athletic's Jeremy Rutherford.
Despite that uncertainty, a deal finally got done, and it's a good thing for the Blues as they hold onto a key piece to the puzzle moving forward.
NHL FREE AGENCY 2019: Complete tracker for all 31 teams' RFAs, UFAs
The 23-year-old serves the main role of being a reliable fourth-line center but most importantly, he's a utility player who wears many hats - and is proving to be one of St. Louis' most reliable players.
In 80 games last season, Barbashev managed 14 goals and 26 points, followed by six points in 25 playoff games en route to St. Louis' first title. He doubled his goal and point production this season, and although he isn't known for his offensive acumen, his presence was vital as he showed improvement as he evolves as a player.
The 6-0, 185-pound center is a versatile forward who has not only gotten better in the face-off circle but can also provide depth and generate momentum when his team needs it. For instance, Barbashev, who isn't known for his physicality, turned up the aggression in the postseason and led all skaters with 87 hits through 25 games.
His fourth-line unit also came up big at key moments through the playoffs.
"evolution"
Mickey107
MVP
MVP

Post by Mickey107 »

Hurricanes captain Justin Williams taking break from NHL
3-time Stanley Cup champion 'unsure of my aspirations with regards to hockey'

Doug Harrison; . The 37-year-old left-winger from Cobourg, Ont., is "stepping away" from the league after winning three Stanley Cups and playing 1,244 regular-season games over 18 seasons with Philadelphia, Los Angeles, Washington and Carolina.
https://www.cbc.ca/sports/hockey/nhl/ju ... -1.5267936
"evolution"
Mickey107
MVP
MVP

Post by Mickey107 »

Detroit Free Press
Niklas Kronwall has retired after 15 seasons with the Detroit Red Wings
.As one chapter ends, another begins.
Thank you, Nik.
7:36 AM · Sep 3, 2019·
https://twitter.com/freep/status/116889 ... 4%3Fs%3D21
.voice-over
"evolution"
Cousin Strawberry
MVP
MVP

Post by Cousin Strawberry »

He made it! An entire career without having to stand up for his dirty hits. That must be an accomplishment right there
If you need air...call it in
Mickey107
MVP
MVP

Post by Mickey107 »

The Brown Wizard wrote: Tue Sep 03, 2019 8:51 am He made it! An entire career without having to stand up for his dirty hits. That must be an accomplishment right there

There ya go Wiz, first time I quoted ya! :mrgreen:
"evolution"
Cousin Strawberry
MVP
MVP

Post by Cousin Strawberry »

I am THE WIZ!
If you need air...call it in