If Naslund were to Step away from the "C" who repl

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

Who should be Captain if Markus were to step down?

Morrison
10%
Ohlund
13%
Cooke
No votes
Mitchell
6%
Linden
23%
Other (Name your player)
6%
Leave it with Naslund
42%

Total votes: 31

mattola
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

If Naslund were to Step away from the "C" who repl

Post by mattola »

Im not looking for a debate on whether he should have it or not but after listening to him on the Team 1040 this am, he was asked if he wanted to be the Captain of the Canucks and his response was a "whatever is best for the team" type answer so I was thinking if the team (ie AV) decided to go another route for Captain who is it?

my first response was Jovo..... er hes gone now Fat Goalie. so who next ?

Ohlund? - not much different from Naslund
Morrison? - he was thought of as Captain material down the road in NJ and who can forget losing the bridge of his teeth and coming back to score the winner in OT against Detroit. a good BC boy would be nice to carry the C
Mitchell? - is he too new? a good BC boy would be nice to carry the C

who? Take the Poll
prime_canuck
AHL Prospect

Post by prime_canuck »

Luongo would be an awesome captain if you ask me
Luongo is gonna take us to the playoffs.
MinnesotaCanuck
MVP
MVP

Post by MinnesotaCanuck »

prime_canuck wrote:Luongo would be an awesome captain if you ask me
Goalies can't be captains.

He might not be my first choice, but I think Cooker should get consideration for captain. If he is respected in the lockerroom, he would great. He always brings a lot of energy to the rink.

I think the lack of quality choices speaks volumes for why the Canucks should bring Linden back. The team needs leadership from players other than the captain, and Linden can definitely contribute on that front.
Linden Is God
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Linden Is God »

I always thought the second Linden came back that he should have been given back the captaincy. Now it's too late for him. As much as I love him, he doesn't contribute enough. Maybe he will this year considering he doesn't have the pressure of the NHLPA/Godenow situation.
GO CANUCKS GO !!!

:towel: :towel: :towel:
Madcombinepilot
MVP
MVP

Post by Madcombinepilot »

I guess the RW we are looking for had better be a leader as well....

With Jovo gone, there is no better person on our team to wear the C
The 'Chain of Command' is the chain I am going to beat you with until you understand I am in charge.
MarkMM
CC 1st Team All-Star

Post by MarkMM »

I don't think there is a clear successor or even decent alternative to Naslund, so let's hope he doesn't mind keeping it for at least one more season. Maybe next year, if it's too much of a burden on him and he steps aside, Mitchell or Morrison will have made a case, I think they both have potential. Regarding Morrison, the captaincy affects players differently, some of them find it a distraction (I think Lacavalier made that point once) while others find it a standard that forces them to raise their game, Morrison might find this to be the case, Mitchell I think just needs to spend some time here but he's the natural leader type.

Also agree that we need leaders other than the captain, and that is another reason to keep Linden around for one more season, plus I think he'll be rejuvenated without the NHLPA to deal with during the offseason.

I'm going on what other people (I think Media Man) have said on this site, but while Cooke is an aggressive and hard working player on the ice, I've heard that he's a bit of a punk off-ice, and might not have the respect of the team. Moreover, it's not the best example to pick fights with people, turtle and then count on your teammates to bail you out, especially if he's wearing the "C".

Ohlund is a solid player and a leader by example, but I don't see him as enough of a take-charge passionate voice to be a captain.

I also hope that whoever we pick up for RW has size, grit and leadership, we're lacking the first two on the top six and the third overall.
Mark
Bartman
MVP
MVP

Post by Bartman »

There's no perfect choice on the team now.

Naslund = questions about how he faired last season
Ohlund = leads by example but is he any more of a presence than Naslund?
Linden = didn't see the fire in the eyes last year/hope it returns if he does
Morrison = same as Linden
Cooke = have to walk the walk to lead a team and he does not
Mitchell = too new to the squad

Let's start the year with a rotating C and if a leader emerges hand it to him.
R.I.P. Luc.
nibbles
AHL Prospect

Post by nibbles »

haaa... linden hands down.
ververgaert
MVP
MVP

Post by ververgaert »

IMO asking the captian if he still wan't to be captian is a insult and incredably rude thing to do. Typical for the media. They chased bert, and now its time to make Naslunds life miserable untill he also wan'ts out. If some one aksed me that and I was a captian I would punch them in the face. Leave the guy alone for christ's sake.
Don Cherry for Prime Minister
Victoriafan
CC Rookie

Post by Victoriafan »

If some one aksed me that and I was a captian I would punch them in the face.
Hands up if you would remortage your house to watch Naslund punch Bob Cole in the face?
F15 Driver
MVP
MVP

Post by F15 Driver »

Hands up if you would remortage your house to watch Naslund punch Bob Cole in the face?
I would re-mortgage the home to see anyone punch that old doo-fuss in the face...
I wish he'd wander off to the Old Sportscasters Graveyard and die.
F-15E Strike Eagle - Cadillac of the Skies!
parksyboy
AHL Prospect

Post by parksyboy »

I wish I could punch naslund in the face for leading our team in the dumps last season! :evil:
Bartman
MVP
MVP

Post by Bartman »

parksyboy wrote:I wish I could punch naslund in the face for leading our team in the dumps last season! :evil:
Ouch. You got a hate on for Marcus? Seems like a pretty stand up guy to me. Just had an off year and maybe wasn't up to being the Capitn. Still a BIG part of any success that we're going to have next season in my book.
R.I.P. Luc.
parksyboy
AHL Prospect

Post by parksyboy »

I agree with you, Just tired of the same old same old talks, "are legs weren't moving or we chocked"

I like someone who is real for a captain. If Jovo was captain he would be reel. He might start crying ect but at least he woudl be real.
DavidPratt_
MVP
MVP

Post by DavidPratt_ »

parksyboy wrote:I agree with you, Just tired of the same old same old talks, "are legs weren't moving or we chocked"

I like someone who is real for a captain. If Jovo was captain he would be reel. He might start crying ect but at least he woudl be real.
I think what bothers me about Naslund is he always has this tortured, uncomfortable look in his face when the media speaks to him after a loss or an issue that comes up. He doesn't have this confident grin on his face that says 'we're going to come back and kick the #$%^ out of the next team we play'. Now I understand that Nasliund is not that kind of person. He leads by example and he does a fine job. But what concerns me, and I have voiced this many times, is that the Canucks miss players like Baron, Klatt, May, Keane, etc. Those were guys who SUPPORTED Naslund in the dressing room. Cloutier did as well by the way. Looking at this team, I think Vancouver has added some competitive guys like Mitchell and Luongo but they need more character players who can get the team going when times are tough.

dp
VANCOUVER'S SEXIEST BROADCASTER AND COUGAR HUNTER

*OPINIONS EXRESSED ARE THOSE OF THE AUTHOR, AND THEY DO NOT NECESSARILY REFLECT THOSE OF ©BELL MEDIA*

WATCH THE DAVID PRATT SHOW W/BRO JAKE 6-10 AM, M-F ON THE TEAM 1040