2018-2019 Stanley Cup Finals

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

Topper
CC Legend

Re: 2018-2019 Stanley Cup Finals

Post by Topper »

Blob Mckenzie wrote: Fri May 17, 2019 1:00 pm
Topper wrote: Fri May 17, 2019 12:49 pm
Blob Mckenzie wrote: Fri May 17, 2019 12:48 pm The Bruins winning it would be hilarious
Why? Because their management at the time had them set up much better the Vancouver's management after the 2011 Cup.

Marchand, Kreji, Bergeron, Chara, Rask
No shit they were younger, better and tougher. Their best were younger than ours at the time. It’s common sense why they still might have game. They came out to the Rog earlier that season and were the better team in a 2 -1 win I was at. I think it’s funny because everyone hates them and Marchand. If they win I’d let Marchand make the 1st round pick in front of the Canucks fans while kissing his newest cup ring and chugging a bottle of whiskey.
So you admit Benning had a strong hand in building that 2011 team for longevity or at the very least a quick recovery by putting the youg building blocks in place. You also admit Benning is building a strong youthful core in Vancouver,

But you hate Benning. LL
Over the Internet, you can pretend to be anyone or anything.

I'm amazed that so many people choose to be complete twats.
Blob Mckenzie
MVP
MVP

Post by Blob Mckenzie »

Topper wrote: Fri May 17, 2019 9:27 pm
Blob Mckenzie wrote: Fri May 17, 2019 1:00 pm
Topper wrote: Fri May 17, 2019 12:49 pm
Blob Mckenzie wrote: Fri May 17, 2019 12:48 pm The Bruins winning it would be hilarious
Why? Because their management at the time had them set up much better the Vancouver's management after the 2011 Cup.

Marchand, Kreji, Bergeron, Chara, Rask
No shit they were younger, better and tougher. Their best were younger than ours at the time. It’s common sense why they still might have game. They came out to the Rog earlier that season and were the better team in a 2 -1 win I was at. I think it’s funny because everyone hates them and Marchand. If they win I’d let Marchand make the 1st round pick in front of the Canucks fans while kissing his newest cup ring and chugging a bottle of whiskey.
So you admit Benning had a strong hand in building that 2011 team for longevity or at the very least a quick recovery by putting the youg building blocks in place. You also admit Benning is building a strong youthful core in Vancouver,

But you hate Benning. LL
All those guys were drafted or signed before he got there. He didn’t have much to do with building that team or the Bruins of today for that matter.
“I don’t care what you and some other poster were talking about”
Hockey Widow
CC Legend

Post by Hockey Widow »

Funny, when Benning joined the Canucks Lucic was very vocal about being sad he was going. He credited Benning, more than Chiarelli, in building the team. He said they wouldn't have won the Cup without all the work Benning did and that the work he did went under appreciated. Said he would be missed in Boston and that Vancouver was lucky to have him. I remember all this because Lucic was talking to a friend of mine and told him now that Benning was gone, for the first time, he felt he would waive his NTC if asked, which he ultimately did do.

Seems those that knew the work he did appreciated him.
The only HW the Canucks need
Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

Post by Chef Boi RD »

Gillis never worked in the front office of any NHL hockey club prior to being hired by Vancouver and has never worked in the front office of any NHL club since being fired by Vancouver 6 years ago.

Benning worked in Buffalo and Boston’s front office for many years prior to being hired in Vancouver

Benning inherited the mess of an inexperienced hockey front office man

A colossal undertaking it was for Benning to fix the Gillis disaster
“Tyler Myers is my guy... I was taking to Scotty Bowman last night and he was bringing up his name, and saying he’s a big guy and big guy need big minutes to play, he is playing great for ya… and I agree with him… He’s been exceptional” - Bruce Boudreau
Blob Mckenzie
MVP
MVP

Post by Blob Mckenzie »

Bergeron, Marchand, Lucic, Krejci, Thomas, Chara all preceded Elmer. Macevoy and Pasta and Debrusk came after he left.
Hockey Widow
CC Legend

Post by Hockey Widow »

Right Blob, you know better than players that played under him.
The only HW the Canucks need
Blob Mckenzie
MVP
MVP

Post by Blob Mckenzie »

Hockey Widow wrote: Sat May 18, 2019 2:42 am Right Blob, you know better than players that played under him.
He joined the Bruins in the summer of 2006. All those guys were there in the organization before then. The other kids were picked after he left there. It’s not exactly top secret information. Maybe he was giving the Bruins hints on how to draft when he was in Buffalo or even when he was in Vancouver for that matter. Tukka Rask was also there before Elmer having been acquired by Jeff Gorton previously.
Topper
CC Legend

Post by Topper »

So he was involved in retaining them, clearing the dead weight, and bringing in new players.

Krejci (2nd contract), Bergereon (3rd contract), Marchand (ECL and 2nd contract), Krug (ECL signing from college). Miller (ECL and 2nd contract), Chara (3rd contract), drafted Grzelcyk and Cehlarik

Yes, nothing happened in Boston during Benning's tenure
Over the Internet, you can pretend to be anyone or anything.

I'm amazed that so many people choose to be complete twats.
Blob Mckenzie
MVP
MVP

Post by Blob Mckenzie »

Topper wrote: Sat May 18, 2019 6:37 am So he was involved in retaining them, clearing the dead weight, and bringing in new players.

Krejci (2nd contract), Bergereon (3rd contract), Marchand (ECL and 2nd contract), Krug (ECL signing from college). Miller (ECL and 2nd contract), Chara (3rd contract), drafted Grzelcyk and Cehlarik

Yes, nothing happened in Boston during Benning's tenure
Yeah he’s totally responsible for everything that’s happened there. Everyone else was just along for the ride on his coattails. Grzelcyk and Cehlarik are two of the best players in the game, they’re the engine of that Bruins squad right there.
Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

Post by Chef Boi RD »

So in short, Benning inherited a good core and managed to win the cup with and returned to the finals in 2012 with the good core he inherited and then left for the next management group a strong foundation to carry on with to where they are now?
“Tyler Myers is my guy... I was taking to Scotty Bowman last night and he was bringing up his name, and saying he’s a big guy and big guy need big minutes to play, he is playing great for ya… and I agree with him… He’s been exceptional” - Bruce Boudreau
Blob Mckenzie
MVP
MVP

Post by Blob Mckenzie »

RoyalDude wrote: Sat May 18, 2019 7:19 am So in short, Benning inherited a good core and managed to win the cup with the good core he inherited and then left for the next management group a strong foundation to carry on with?
Apparently. HE won the cup in Boston. Had nothing to do with Chiarelli, Gorton before him, Scott Bradley, Julien or Neely. It was all Benning. HE did all the work. Those guys benefited from his work and road his coattails. HE also made Lucic, Marchand, Bergeron, Krejci, Rask and Thomas better players.
Last edited by Blob Mckenzie on Sat May 18, 2019 7:34 am, edited 1 time in total.
Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

Post by Chef Boi RD »

Benning came with credentials

Gillis came with a history of being the most hated players agent from the perspective of the GM club he now had to start rubbing shoulders with

Gillis was also buddies with that weirdo who fucked up that St Louis Blues player who changed his last name

Benning is a right proper respectable front office man with a great track record and well liked in his fraternity
Blob Mckenzie
MVP
MVP

Post by Blob Mckenzie »

Benning = Sam Pollock and >>> than Bill Torrey.

HHOF is beckoning
Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

Post by Chef Boi RD »

If Benning was fired how would you compare the state of this Canuck team and it’s future outlook that will be left with for the next GM to work with vs the state of the team and it’s future outlook that Gillis left with for Benning?

Better or worse?
Cornuck
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Cornuck »

So another thread devolves into. Gillis/Benning rehash.... How surprising.

Let's try to keep this one on topic.
Doc: "BTW, Donny was right, you're smug."