2019 offseason

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

Cousin Strawberry
MVP
MVP

Re: 2019 offseason

Post by Cousin Strawberry »

Subban sucks. We dont need to add pimp daddy in the purple suit thanks. His best days are behind him....all thats left is picking up the cheque.
If you need air...call it in
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Strangelove »

Pimp daddy. :lol:
____
Try to focus on someday.
SKYO
MVP
MVP

Post by SKYO »

pimpgod will rebound to get scoring back on track, injuries ruined this season, but he's helped all his teams to playoffs and has only missed the playoffs twice. I predict if he's healthy he'll score 50+ pts next season. And it would be nice to have Sami Salo like blaster on point once again, especially one that can hit like a truck.
Can the Canucks just win a Cup within the next 5 years.
BCExpat
MVP
MVP

Post by BCExpat »

Topper wrote: Wed May 08, 2019 2:56 pm the resident flamer knows flame outs
yup - no shortage of them for my team over the years.
Whale Oil Beef Hooked
"When you come to a fork in the road, take it" - Yogi Berra
Diehard1
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Diehard1 »

Strangelove wrote: Wed May 08, 2019 4:15 pm
Diehard1 wrote: Wed May 08, 2019 6:48 am IMac reporting Jimbo will be ‘aggressive’ on July 1st. Why not, after all deals for Loui, Beagle, Schaller, Del Zotto, Gagner, and Nilsson sure worked out right? I guess 65 games of Roussel was decent though so 1 for 7 is a good batting average.
The Loui and Gagner signings ended up biting us, but the Beagle signing seems fine.

The rest were just 2 year deals for low dollars, so what's the problem.

Bitch, bitch, bitch, bitch, bitch...

Del Zotta was fine for a year and ended up getting us Schenn.

Nillson was an okay backup for those dollars and brought back a pick.

And you forgot about Miller, Vrbata, Vanek... all excellent signings.

Bartkowski, Weber, Kenins, Bartkowski, Cracknell on cheap one year deals did us no harm

So what are we at now? 12 for 15? :mex:
Deflect, deflect, deflect, deflect, deflect..........

Miller was good, as I've said previously. Vrbata had one good year and one Eriksson-esque year for big dollars - that's not a 'good' signing. Vanek was solid.

Beagle had an ok first year, only 3 left. He'll be 37 by the end of the deal, it won't age well. Roussel had a good 65 games but got injured - I mean who could have predicted that a small guy who plays like he does would get injured right? If only it had happened with somebody who played the same type of game with the same team before.......again lots of term left, we'll see how it goes but I wouldn't bet on him having another career year.

Del Zotto was hot garbage here. Nilsson the same.

Amazing how good things look if you say 1 year deals don't matter, right? Not your money after all, and who cares about the cap and trying to use it to your advantage.

Don't forget the other garbage re-signings and trades Jimbo has left us with - Spooner/Gagner, Sutter, Baertschi, Schaller, all bad deals for various reasons.

As I've said all along, Jimbo can draft but he needs help at cap management and the business side. Even an owner as dumb as Aquaman can see that so he's looking for some help, and believe me if a guy with his brain power can see it just about anybody can.
SKYO
MVP
MVP

Post by SKYO »

Diehard1 wrote: Thu May 16, 2019 1:05 pm
As I've said all along, Jimbo can draft but he needs help at cap management and the business side. Even an owner as dumb as Aquaman can see that so he's looking for some help, and believe me if a guy with his brain power can see it just about anybody can.
Not many players are signed long term for the Seattle expansion draft though, cap space is not a problem, the depth players will increase in value I hedge bets next season with the young core thriving asap, so they can be moved in time.

The RFA contracts by JB have been great.
and I admit the UFA contracts haven't been stellar, but the depth at least is built up with solid pros which will help when this teams become contenders.

The worst is Eriksson, the elephant in the room, hopefully he's traded.
Diehard1
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Diehard1 »

SKYO wrote: Thu May 16, 2019 1:18 pm
Not many players are signed long term for the Seattle expansion draft though, cap space is not a problem, the depth players will increase in value I hedge bets next season with the young core thriving asap, so they can be moved in time.

and I admit the UFA contracts haven't been stellar, but the depth at least is built up with solid pros which will help when this teams become contenders.

Agreed, cap space is not a problem right now - but it will be soon. I expect Brock to get $7 million + this year, then Petey $10 million +, and Quinn likely the same.

Add in an extra $25 million or so for those 3 and see what it does to the cap, especially since we're hoping for continued improvement (i.e. better players), it gets tight really quickly.

The RFA contracts have not been great - Sutter's contract is likely immovable, it's not good at least. Guddy's deal was bad too but we got Pearson for him, who was another guy on a bad contract on another team. He was good here to end the season and hopefully he keeps it up, but let's not forget he was a healthy scratch in Pittsburgh. Baertschi's deal is solid if he played 75 games a season but he's been injured every season of his career, so why give him a long-term deal? Made no sense then and looks even worse now.

Markstrom's deal looks good now and if he has another season like this one very good, and Bo's has also been good. Jimbo's issue has never been paying the stars and top line guys of the team, it's been overpaying for character, good in the room and leadership - he's done that every offseason he's been here.

I don't see the depth you seem to see. I see 3 top 6 players (Bo, Petey, Brock) then a bunch of whatever. I see 2 top 4 dmen (Stecher, Hughes) and potentially 3 if Edler is re-signed. Tanev would be one as well if he could stay healthy, but after 6 seasons in the NHL he's proven that's not going to happen.

This team needs at least 2 top 6 forwards, another top 4 dman (preferably a top 2 guy) and some more overall depth to be a playoff team, let alone a contender. Guys like Juolevi, Lind, Pearson, Leivo, Goldy, Rafferty, Jake, etc all have a chance to move into those roles but it remains to be seen if and when it will happen.

The 10th overall this year will also hopefully turn into a top 6 forward or top 4 dman.

Lots of work still to be done.
Mickey107
MVP
MVP

Post by Mickey107 »

I hope Pettersson is worth 10 to 11 by then.
Hope Hughes is too.
Get a whole season with Quinn next season.

Petey didn't look that good the last month and a half of the season and he sure as hell doesn't look strong in the Worlds.
He's on his ass way too much.
I most assuredly hope he has enough time and has a good trainer/consultant, to help him this summer.
He seems more frail now then the start of last October.
I'm not saying just throw 30 pounds of scale reading on. Needs an expert. No way I think he can figure that part out himself.
No way should he seek the help of say the Sedins.
Maybe talk about it with someone like Landeskog. F**k, can you imagine?

Actually, I believe he's due to spend some time with Boeser later in the summer. See how that works out.
"evolution"
SKYO
MVP
MVP

Post by SKYO »

The best championship teams move parts around their core, where Benning can now just start! After he did the hard work of living through the NMC/NTC vets / Sedins.

Let Benning have his years to command around his new core he drafted (Elias Pettersson, Brock Boeser and Quinn Hughes, Horvat the last one of the Gillis era likely).
Blob Mckenzie
MVP
MVP

Post by Blob Mckenzie »

SKYO wrote: Thu May 16, 2019 2:36 pm After he did the hard work of living through the NMC/NTC vets / Sedins.

The Sedins were such boat anchors :roll:
Last edited by Blob Mckenzie on Thu May 16, 2019 3:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
“I don’t care what you and some other poster were talking about”
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Strangelove »

Strangelove wrote: Wed May 08, 2019 4:15 pm
Diehard1 wrote: Wed May 08, 2019 6:48 am IMac reporting Jimbo will be ‘aggressive’ on July 1st. Why not, after all deals for Loui, Beagle, Schaller, Del Zotto, Gagner, and Nilsson sure worked out right? I guess 65 games of Roussel was decent though so 1 for 7 is a good batting average.
The Loui and Gagner signings ended up biting us, but the Beagle signing seems fine.

The rest were just 2 year deals for low dollars, so what's the problem.

Bitch, bitch, bitch, bitch, bitch...

Del Zotta was fine for a year and ended up getting us Schenn.

Nillson was an okay backup for those dollars and brought back a pick.

And you forgot about Miller, Vrbata, Vanek... all excellent signings.

Bartkowski, Weber, Kenins, Bartkowski, Cracknell on cheap one year deals did us no harm

So what are we at now? 12 for 15? :mex:
Deflect, deflect, deflect, deflect, deflect..........
You keep using that word.

I don't think you know what it means. :hmmm:

Diehard1 wrote: Thu May 16, 2019 1:05 pm Miller was good, as I've said previously.
I had to remind you of Miller because you neglected to count him when you were keeping score above.

Diehard1 wrote: Thu May 16, 2019 1:05 pm Vrbata had one good year and one Eriksson-esque year for big dollars - that's not a 'good' signing.
You're the only person at this site to ever say the Vrbata signing was a bad one.

In fact, the entire Benning-hate gang figure the signing was soooo good

... that we should have received a high pick for him at the deadline.

In fact, the previous summer YOU prophesied we would get a 1st or 2nd.

Anyway, no one here would agree with you that it was "not a 'good' signing"...

Diehard1 wrote: Thu May 16, 2019 1:05 pm Vanek was solid.
Right, another guy you neglected to count above, you're welcome...

Diehard1 wrote: Thu May 16, 2019 1:05 pm Beagle had an ok first year, only 3 left. He'll be 37 by the end of the deal, it won't age well.
He's a fitness nut, but hey, you're the prophet! :lol:

Diehard1 wrote: Thu May 16, 2019 1:05 pm Roussel had a good 65 games but got injured - I mean who could have predicted that a small guy who plays like he does would get injured right?
Right, no one should ever sign players who play hard. :roll:

BTW if it was so easy to predict, why didn't you prophesize it at the time of the signing? :D

Del Zotto was hot garbage here. Nilsson the same.
Yet Del Zotto brought back Schenn and Nilsson brought back a pick.

Del Zotto was fine his first season here, Nilsson as good as any other backup we were going to find...

Amazing how good things look if you say 1 year deals don't matter, right? Not your money after all, and who cares about the cap and trying to use it to your advantage.
What a bizarre thing to say. :scowl:

Those 5 guys were signed to one-year deals near league minimum.

If you are "trying to use the cap to your advantage"... those are exactly the kinds of signings you want!

WOW JUST WOW

Don't forget the other garbage re-signings and trades Jimbo has left us with - Spooner/Gagner, Sutter, Baertschi, Schaller, all bad deals for various reasons.
Look up, you already tallied Spooner/Gagner and Schaller.

And the other two are a different subject (re-signings) than the one we are discussing.

BTW you're the first one here to ever besmirch the Baertschi re-signing, congratulations! :thumbs:

Oh, so you're a prophet and a mind-reader! :lol:

Aquaman is simply trying to fill Trevor's old position...
____
Try to focus on someday.
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Strangelove »

Diehard1 wrote: Thu May 16, 2019 1:30 pm
SKYO wrote: Thu May 16, 2019 1:18 pm

Agreed, cap space is not a problem right now - but it will be soon. I expect Brock to get $7 million + this year, then Petey $10 million +, and Quinn likely the same.
This is the same guy who just said Benning should get zero credit until if-and-when the team gets results! :lol:

Let me guess, you don't see how you're contradicting yourself amirite?

Diehard1 wrote: Thu May 16, 2019 1:30 pm Add in an extra $25 million or so for those 3 and see what it does to the cap, especially since we're hoping for continued improvement (i.e. better players), it gets tight really quickly.
Well duh.

Who would have guessed NHL teams with a few superstars might end up bumping up against the cap. :D

Diehard1 wrote: Thu May 16, 2019 1:06 pm Results don't matter to most it seems, all that matters is that it 'feels' like they are doing well. It's a bizarre concept - I'd prefer to cheer for my team in the playoffs rather than another moral victory but each to their own.
Yet it 'feels' to you that we presently have two $10M players and a $7M one...
____
Try to focus on someday.
Blob Mckenzie
MVP
MVP

Post by Blob Mckenzie »

Aquilini may be trying to fill Linden’s position but I have a feeling the next president will be infinitely more qualified than Trevor was. I think it will be a hockey guy who can hold Benning’s hand through some signings and trades where he struggles and give him a boot in the ass when needed
“I don’t care what you and some other poster were talking about”
SKYO
MVP
MVP

Post by SKYO »

Blob Mckenzie wrote: Thu May 16, 2019 2:58 pm
SKYO wrote: Thu May 16, 2019 2:36 pm After he did the hard work of living through the NMC/NTC vets / Sedins.

The Sedins were such boat anchors :roll:
Exactly imagine the return we could have had from them if they waived their final year here.

picks and prospects galore.
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Strangelove »

Diehard1 wrote: Thu May 16, 2019 1:30 pm Jimbo's issue has never been paying the stars and top line guys of the team, it's been overpaying for character, good in the room and leadership - he's done that every offseason he's been here.
That is not "an issue" during a rebuild, it's a sound philosophy.
____
Try to focus on someday.