Around the league (signings, RFAs injuries)

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

SKYO
MVP
MVP

Re: Around the league (signings, RFAs injuries)

Post by SKYO »

Island Nucklehead wrote: Tue May 07, 2019 9:36 am
ESQ wrote: Tue May 07, 2019 9:11 am
Strangelove wrote: Mon May 06, 2019 7:06 pm
Uncle dans leg wrote: Mon May 06, 2019 6:46 pm So the blew jacks are gone. They couldnt score and i suspect thats all for goalie blob and panarin. Is it just goalie blob who wants the florida beaches or bread man too?
Breadman actually said he wants a BIG city with "beaches" and a strong Russian community.

Panarin dropped his agent in favour of Goalie Blob's agent, so folks are thinking they'll go to the same team.

(Florida)
Who does Florida have to move to fit Panarin ($8.5+) and Boborovsky ($6-7+)?

They only have $6 mil coming off the books next year, and the year following they have to re-up two 70+point wingers in Dadonov and Hoffman.
They currently have about $17M in cap space, with 16 guys signed and no major UFA/RFA to re-up. With Luongo medically retiring and going on LTIR forever, it allows them to exceed the cap by $4.3M (giving them the equivalent of $21M-ish in cap space).

My guess is they swap out Hoffman for Panarin (+$4M), and Bob is a similar increase over Lou. They could still have $13M to sign 6-7 depth guys.

Or they keep Hoffman and go with 5-6 younger players. Either way, they can make it happen relatively easily.
Yeah Hoffman probably dealt at the draft, a year ago Sharks traded him to Florida for a 2019 2nd, 2018 4th, 5th.

Probably get a similar return maybe a 2020 2nd, 2019 3rd, 4th after Hoffman scored 70pts.
Can the Canucks just win a Cup within the next 5 years.
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Strangelove »

Island Nucklehead wrote: Tue May 07, 2019 9:36 am
ESQ wrote: Tue May 07, 2019 9:11 am
Strangelove wrote: Mon May 06, 2019 7:06 pm
Uncle dans leg wrote: Mon May 06, 2019 6:46 pm So the blew jacks are gone. They couldnt score and i suspect thats all for goalie blob and panarin. Is it just goalie blob who wants the florida beaches or bread man too?
Breadman actually said he wants a BIG city with "beaches" and a strong Russian community.

Panarin dropped his agent in favour of Goalie Blob's agent, so folks are thinking they'll go to the same team.

(Florida)
Who does Florida have to move to fit Panarin ($8.5+) and Boborovsky ($6-7+)?

They only have $6 mil coming off the books next year, and the year following they have to re-up two 70+point wingers in Dadonov and Hoffman.
They currently have about $17M in cap space, with 16 guys signed and no major UFA/RFA to re-up. With Luongo medically retiring and going on LTIR forever, it allows them to exceed the cap by $4.3M (giving them the equivalent of $21M-ish in cap space).

My guess is they swap out Hoffman for Panarin (+$4M), and Bob is a similar increase over Lou. They could still have $13M to sign 6-7 depth guys.

Or they keep Hoffman and go with 5-6 younger players. Either way, they can make it happen relatively easily.
Yup, and there have been rumours about them wanting to do as you say with Lou and Hoffman.
____
Try to focus on someday.
UWSaint
MVP
MVP

Post by UWSaint »

RoyalDude wrote: Mon May 06, 2019 5:32 pm What do you do if your in Holland’s shoes? The Oilers are a mess. First and foremost they need goaltending. Just awful in the nets. That has to be quick fix now, but how?
Well, if you are Ken Holland in Ken Holland's shoes, you identify all of the NHL-caliber but not all-that-special players on the Oilers roster (i.e., not the core) and you give them marginally overpriced and marginally overextended (in length) deals handicapping the Oilers' ability to do anything at all. Say like you did with Detroit....

But if you are someone else in Ken Holland's shoes, you first visit your doctor. To check on the liver. Because you are about to start drinking a lot. To ease the pain.

And then if you tear it up.

You take offers for McDavid. Get a team desperate for him. What kind of a return? Think what Philadelphia paid for Lindros as a starting point. After all, Lindros' potential was everything that McDavid actually is -- one of the top (if not the top) player in the NHL for the next decade. He will put butts in seats -- that appeals to all trading partners -- sell outs for years. You are banking on the fact the Oilers fans will come hell or high water, but that you are going to try to make for a competitive team.

What is that return. That's a 2d rounder from the 2016, 2017, or 2018 draft with NHL potential, but not star potential ("Chris Simon"); a high first rounder from one of the same draft classes with star potential ("Mike Ricci"); a former first rounder who is about 24-25 years old who is NHL filler ("Kerry Huffman"); a starting goalie whose shown flashes of greatness, and while inconsistent, is better than what you have ("Ron Hextall"); a great prospect from the 2018 or '19 draft (if draft is after 2019 draft) ("Peter Forsberg"); a solid top pairing defensemen that who can run a power play ("Steve Duchesne"); and the next two first round picks. Or put plainly -- Two young potential stars, 2 first round picks, a very solid NHL defenseman, a league average goalie, an okay prospect, and a one-time higher end prospect who can play in the NHL.

And when they are on the hook and offered you that, you say "okay, but you have to take Lucic."

The ideal trading partner has young NHL talent and be able to make the cap situation work out (to take McD and Lucic). The Canucks have the goods:

Chris Simon = Gadjovich/Lind
Ricci = Boeser/Hughes
Huffman = Pouliot
Hextall = Markstrom
Forsberg = Pettersson
Duschesne = (Canucks don't have equivalent, but similar value in a healthy Tanev or if Edler was inked to a 4 year team friendly deal)
2 first round picks

This is NOT a trade proposal -- the Canucks probably lack mid-range veteran depth to do anything with McDavid once they've traded away young stars. This is just to get an illustration of the package a new Oilers GM should consider: two first rounders, two former high first rounders who remain very young who are or who are highly likely to be stars (i.e., the have surpassed or are surpassing their draft position in their post-draft development), and a starting goalie. This is the core of the return.

To this you are going to add: a B level prospect (maybe a second rounder or 2), a veteran NHL player who is unquestionably a top 4/top 6 to address the area of immediate weakness (that's the D for the Oil presuming that one of these young stars is a first line type forward), and one NHL depth player (in today's NHL, these last two guys are the ones that will make the money work -- McDavid and Lucic are $18.5 million, I think).
Hono_rary Canadian
Tciso
MVP
MVP

Post by Tciso »

UWSaint wrote: Tue May 07, 2019 12:42 pm
The ideal trading partner has young NHL talent and be able to make the cap situation work out (to take McD and Lucic). The Canucks have the goods:

Chris Simon = Gadjovich/Lind
Ricci = Boeser/Hughes
Huffman = Pouliot
Hextall = Markstrom
Forsberg = Pettersson
Duschesne = (Canucks don't have equivalent, but similar value in a healthy Tanev or if Edler was inked to a 4 year team friendly deal)
2 first round picks

This is NOT a trade proposal
Thank Gawd, as that trade would sink our ship. We'd be left with no depth, and no talent for McJesus to play with.

Because he needs someone to play with, I don't think any team can afford to trade away that many assets and still have a playoff team. Hell, if you trade that many assets to the Oilers to get McJesus, your team is going to look like the Oilers do now. Top heavy, and no depth.
The Cup is soooooo ours!!!!!!!
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Strangelove »

UWSaint wrote: Tue May 07, 2019 12:42 pm THOUGHT EXPERIMENT
THAT WAS AWESOME

No wonder we made you an honourary Canadian. :D
____
Try to focus on someday.
Cousin Strawberry
MVP
MVP

Post by Cousin Strawberry »

Interesting concept UW. No way Holland has the walnuts to pull off that kind of move but its the kind of maneuver necessary to right the listing SS Coiler. Dramatic and as deep as it gets.
If you need air...call it in
Mickey107
MVP
MVP

Post by Mickey107 »

Speaking of the Oiler's. This is a little rough to see.
https://edmontonjournal.com/sports/hock ... land-as-gm

https://globalnews.ca/video/5250009/dar ... erformance

Holland says his first priority is a new coach.

I often wonder just how bad, (deep-down), McDavid wants out.

I remember the look on his face on his draft day when the Oilers called his name.
"evolution"
Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

Post by Chef Boi RD »

If McDavid was more of an asshole like Lindros he would have demanded a trade some time ago. Don’t think he has it in him
“Tyler Myers is my guy... I was taking to Scotty Bowman last night and he was bringing up his name, and saying he’s a big guy and big guy need big minutes to play, he is playing great for ya… and I agree with him… He’s been exceptional” - Bruce Boudreau
Topper
CC Legend

Post by Topper »

Bob Costas, UW?
Over the Internet, you can pretend to be anyone or anything.

I'm amazed that so many people choose to be complete twats.
Meds
MVP
MVP

Post by Meds »

micky107 wrote: Wed May 08, 2019 12:34 am Speaking of the Oiler's. This is a little rough to see.
https://edmontonjournal.com/sports/hock ... land-as-gm

https://globalnews.ca/video/5250009/dar ... erformance

Holland says his first priority is a new coach.

I often wonder just how bad, (deep-down), McDavid wants out.

I remember the look on his face on his draft day when the Oilers called his name.
I can't tell if you are actually surprised or just feigning it.

Holland's priority at this point has to be the coach. He needs to find his guy and then they need to build the coaching staff so that it's in place as early as possible to start connecting and working with whatever players they draft in a month and change. The on-ice product in October has to be priority number one, that starts behind the bench. Both incoming and returning players alike are not going to be thrilled to spend time in limbo wondering who they will have to work under come 2019 puck drop. I doubt those same players give too much thought to the names on the doors of the scout's offices, or the VP of Hockey Ops, or who sits in the big chair in the Vice-Chairman of the Oilers Entertainment Group.

Holland can deal with the boardroom bloat over the course of time.

He also will want to assess potential trades, UFA signings, and minor league assessments, with his coaching staff. Going into the draft without a coach is not great, but going into UFA season without one is pretty dumb.

Scouting staff will get an overhaul after the draft, not before. This gives him some fall men if the draft is handled poorly in his first go-round in the Oiler's big chair. Player development head honchos will be next.
Mickey107
MVP
MVP

Post by Mickey107 »

It's pure sarcasm Mëds, like in a well duh sort of way.
I don't know if I can even remember how many GMs have made almost that same intro.
"evolution"
ESQ
MVP
MVP

Post by ESQ »

Interesting UW - I guess the one comparable to trading McDavid is Lindros, and setting the team up for a mini-dynasty like the Avs. The difference is the Nordiques we're dealing with a malcontent and turning lemons into lemonade, which likely affected the return to some extent.

The other comparable is Gretzky, which was the first step in dismantling a dynasty. The difference in the Gretzky example is those oilers were established, while these oilers are still failing.

If I were Holland, I'd sooner look at moving Draisatl. There is a bigger market for an $8.5 million star than for the most expensive player in the league. And with a 50-goal season under his belt, the return would be massive.
ESQ
MVP
MVP

Post by ESQ »

Interesting UW - I guess the one comparable to trading McDavid is Lindros, and setting the team up for a mini-dynasty like the Avs. The difference is the Nordiques we're dealing with a malcontent and turning lemons into lemonade, which likely affected the return to some extent.

The other comparable is Gretzky, which was the first step in dismantling a dynasty. The difference in the Gretzky example is those oilers were established, while these oilers are still failing.

If I were Holland, I'd sooner look at moving Draisatl. There is a bigger market for an $8.5 million star than for the most expensive player in the league. And with a 50-goal season under his belt, the return would be massive.
Hockey Widow
CC Legend

Post by Hockey Widow »

ESQ wrote: Wed May 08, 2019 10:32 am Interesting UW - I guess the one comparable to trading McDavid is Lindros, and setting the team up for a mini-dynasty like the Avs. The difference is the Nordiques we're dealing with a malcontent and turning lemons into lemonade, which likely affected the return to some extent.

If I were Holland I wouldn’t be looking to trade either of my top two centres. You build around that. I’d be looking to move out RNH. He won’t command the return either of the top two would but he should get a first a prospect and an NHLer, in the least.

Holland first needs to clear out bad contracts, clean house. Then see what’s left. I can’t see him wanting too many youngsters. His style is to let kids cook in the minors, he said as much at his presser, so if he wants to make the playoffs he needs a better mix of established players at this point. His kids won’t find such an easy path to the NHL.

So his choice may boil down to a mini rebuild, taking a couple of years to let the existing kids develop, or trying to fast track into the playoffs.

He needs to fix goaltending and D. I think they have enough, if the West is as bad next year, to make the playoffs if everything goes right. It seems that’s the first order of business for him, make the playoffs.

Every team in the NHL has to worry about the cap. Every team in the NHL is starting to plan for the expansion draft. A lot of teams had miserable seasons in failing to make the playoffs. A lot of top teams had miserable showings in the playoffs. This could be the summer were we see a lot of movement and some good old fashioned hockey trades.
The only HW the Canucks need
Lancer
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Lancer »

What team could absorb the cost it would take in trade to get McJesus and not end up in the same roster boat as the Oilers? Tampa? Nashville? The other end of it is the roster surgery Edmonton would have to do to get under cap while taking on the players they would get even with the subtraction of McDavid’s contract. In a way he’s virtually untradable by virtue of his contract and stature. I can see Draisaitl being traded in a Ryan Johanson kind of deal for a Dman. It’s only one player but it’s a glaring gap and I don’t see Evan Bouchard being that guy for them for at least another two years.
Love the Sport. Love the Team.

Hate the League.