Am I alone ?

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

PRO DAVE OR NO DAVE

Poll ended at Tue Aug 22, 2006 10:24 pm

PRO
92%
NO
8%

Total votes: 25

Canuck1978
AHL Prospect

Am I alone ?

Post by Canuck1978 »

I keep checking the Calender to see if it is April 1, waiting for a loud out-burst of laughter. I continue thinking that I'm on the T.V.Show PUNKED. But I then realize that Dave Nonis is the GM of the Vancouver Canucks. And he is cutting this team apart like a five year old with scissors in art class. Was the Canucks missing the play-offs worth disbanding the team. They did actually win more regular season games that the Edmonton Oilers. And had a large amount of injury time (Cloutier,Jovanoski,Cooke,Salo)
With a healthy roster would they have made the play-offs ? I think that Mr Nonis feels that he needs to do more than what he should..Cause if its not broke don't fix it...Did the Canucks need more than a Goalie and some discipline. ? Did the Oilers give a right arm for Roloson..And will Dave have a decent defence core for the 06-07 Season.Bryan Allen was the future of the Canucks, with a game where the speed has doubled. I just don't think that Keith Carney and Eric Weinrich are up to the task. Jovanoski has been open about moving back to Florida. Is Dave doing a good job? I don't think so ?

06-07 Season Watch out for Florida :evil: :cry:

And Most Important Farewell and Thank you 44
jchockey
MVP
MVP

Post by jchockey »

Florida with Bertuzzi is a team to watch out for - but that is irrelevant until the playoffs since we will hardly ever see them. The fact is, without a star goalie in the NW division you can't win - Colorado had Roy, Calgary has Kipper, Minny has Fernandez, Oilers have Roloson.

I loved Bert and Allen (same can't be said about Auld), but if that is the price we have to pay, then so be it. Best regards to Bert and Allen in Florida.
nuckfan in TO
CC Rookie

Post by nuckfan in TO »

I don't agree with you... but I'm sure you're not alone in thinking that.

The way I see it, Nonis came in to the GM position with goaltending on his mind... and how could he not?

Since he arrived in Vancouver, we've gone through several goalies... the best of the bunch was questioned every year here - from injury concerns to mental instablity... looking back on this franchise, the greatest success we've ever had was when we had an elite goalie - and we've only had that twice - Brodeur and McLean, both considered among the league's best for at least a couple year window... and the biggest concerns we've had has been in goal - more so than any other position.

So Nonis' first event as GM, he drafts Schenider with his 1st round pick, then takes Ellis later in the draft...

while bringing back Cloutier and Auld in the offseason, he went out and acquired Oulette during the year... when he didn't work out, he went after Noronen... he's also added Vincent in the last draft as well.

Clearly Nonis' biggest concern for this team was in goal.

The missed playoff year gives Nonis the excuse to rebuild this team quickly from the net out. Bertuzzi gave Nonis the chance to deal him without much public criticism, and he got to move him in the East at the same time.

Personally, I'm glad that Nonis has put so much emphasis in goal. If we can re-sign Jovo, we will have 3 big names under contract, but one at each position... the support behind Naslund, Jovo and Luongo is excellent as well, with the Sedins, Ohlund and Salo. Ohlund is still the #1, but his contract allows us to add a guy like Jovo as well.

Overall, I think we're a much better team now then we were prior to the trade... Nonis has got *the* player in the NHL you can build a team around - and even if it's only for one season, we're built better with Luongo, than with Bertuzzi - especially with how he has played the last 2 seasons.

Luongo's critics will come out and say he's never made the playoffs before... but he's now taking his talent from a team that gave him more shots against in the last 4 NHL seasons, than any other team in the league, to one where we do have some defensive talent. Behind a good team, Luongo can win a gold... behind a decent team, he has the talent to carry them into the playoffs and give them a chance to win every series.... I'm stoked to see what he can do in Vancouver next season!

We still need to plug a couple holes on defense though... I'm more and more convinced that Mitchell is serious about coming to Vancouver, and Nonis will definitely look into that as well. But overall, I commend Nonis for shifting how this team was built - from one built from the front back, to being one built from the goal out....
jchockey
MVP
MVP

Post by jchockey »

Speaking of Schneider, is Luongo a long-term option or a short-term, say 3 years? Perhaps acquiring Luongo renders Ellis, Schneider, Vincent expendable?
dangler
MVP
MVP

Post by dangler »

nuckfan in TO wrote:
We still need to plug a couple holes on defense though... I'm more and more convinced that Mitchell is serious about coming to Vancouver, and Nonis will definitely look into that as well. But overall, I commend Nonis for shifting how this team was built - from one built from the front back, to being one built from the goal out....
Have to agree with Nonis's strategy if your right on this NFIT.

And if you are, there is 4 defencemen to round up and Nonis better get on it.

Bourdon might make the line-up, but they can hardly count on it.

And hopefully Jovo finds a home elsewhere along with the rest of the underachieving "core", these guys had their chance, now it's time to start fresh.
jchockey
MVP
MVP

Post by jchockey »

Bourdon had a great camp and seemed NHL ready last year, I'm confident this year will the year he joins the team.
Brian CC
Site Admin

Post by Brian CC »

Bryan Allen was the future of the Canucks, with a game where the speed has doubled.
I have to disagree here. Bryan Allen could have played here for a many more years, but he was certainly not the future of the Canucks. In today's NHL, he's probably a bit of a liability as well with the lack of foot speed and lateral movement he has.

He's physical, has a decent shot and a decent 3rd or fourth d-man in my opinion, and could easily be replaced by Bourdon.

That said the Canucks are probably not done dealing, or signing free agents.This could only be the start in a series of moves that will have this team looking a lot different come October.
Sid Dithers
CC 1st Team All-Star

Post by Sid Dithers »

jchockey wrote:Bourdon had a great camp and seemed NHL ready last year, I'm confident this year will the year he joins the team.
I was fine with Bourdon up until he speared Brule. Now I hate the bastid. Sort of.
AraChniD iS stoOpiDz!
DavidPratt_
MVP
MVP

Re: Am I alone ?

Post by DavidPratt_ »

Canuck1978 wrote:I keep checking the Calender to see if it is April 1, waiting for a loud out-burst of laughter. I continue thinking that I'm on the T.V.Show PUNKED. But I then realize that Dave Nonis is the GM of the Vancouver Canucks. And he is cutting this team apart like a five year old with scissors in art class. Was the Canucks missing the play-offs worth disbanding the team. They did actually win more regular season games that the Edmonton Oilers. And had a large amount of injury time (Cloutier,Jovanoski,Cooke,Salo)

06-07 Season Watch out for Florida :evil: :cry:

And Most Important Farewell and Thank you 44
It's easy to think that last season was just one bad season, and getting rid of Marc Crawford was the answer, but truthfully it's not. Dave Nonis should be commended for doing a few things:

1. Doing something about goaltending. For too long, Vancouver has 'accepted' decent goaltending (Cloutier/Auld) but not GREAT goaltending. Great goaltending wins you Stanley Cups. Decent/Good goaltending in the regular season leads to bad goals at all the wrong times (Cloutier - Detroit series/Minnesota Game 7). In addition, having a new coach who hopefully understands the concept that a backup goalie can add value to a team will hopefully help as well. With Luongo, we may never know though.

2. Willing to change the makeup/chemistry in the dressing room. Say what you will about Bert's presence (good or bad) - it wasn't working. The team needed a facelift.

How much of a facelift? Hopefully not too much. By adding Luongo (even for one season - but hopefully many more), the Canucks could potentially be serious Cup contenders. Before anyone disagrees with me, remember that the Edmonton Oilers MISSED the Stanley Cup Playoffs the season before their recent cup run. What else do they need?

1. Ed Jovanovski (if they can afford him) or a decent defenseman or two to add depth (3/4 defensemen) to support Ohlund and Salo. If they add the Florida kid they just traded for (forgot his name), Bourdon (remember he is still young but he has great size and skill), Bieksa as a #5/6 and Brown for depth, this defense could work. Regardless of whether they sign Jovanovski, they do need to sign a decent defenseman (or two). The trick may be watching how other team's defenses are affected by free-agent signings. Nonis may want to be patient and not try to sign the first free agent out there. He may want to wait and even trade for a quality defenseman affected by a free agent signing (though with FA signing he wouldn't have to give up a player).

2. Character veterans. The dressing room MISSED a few hard-nosed veterans to call out the floaters last season. They missed a (fill in the blank) "Brad May/Trent Klatt/Mike Keane" type player. Richard Park/Josh Green/etc. took up one or two of those spots. Time to bring in a warrior or two who will come in handy in the playoffs.

Above all - Nonis should be careful not to tinker with the chemistry too much. I doubt he would do that. The worst thing to do is completely overhaul the team (ie. Mike Keenan's style). A new coach, a new goalie, upgrade the defense with better speed on the back-end, a character veteran who has won the Cup before, and someone to at least replace some of Bertuzzi's 71 points would be nice.

dp
VANCOUVER'S SEXIEST BROADCASTER AND COUGAR HUNTER

*OPINIONS EXRESSED ARE THOSE OF THE AUTHOR, AND THEY DO NOT NECESSARILY REFLECT THOSE OF ©BELL MEDIA*

WATCH THE DAVID PRATT SHOW W/BRO JAKE 6-10 AM, M-F ON THE TEAM 1040
Cookie La Rue
MVP
MVP

Post by Cookie La Rue »

Is somebody wearing out his leather pants. :lol: :mrgreen:
"Every dog has its day." - CC Hockey Pool Champion 2004 & 2013 'Moves like Lenarduzzi'
DavidPratt_
MVP
MVP

Post by DavidPratt_ »

Cookie La Rue wrote:Is somebody wearing out his leather pants. :lol: :mrgreen:
Just getting started buddy and the leather isn't even itching yet....have a sauerkraut hot dog on me.

dp
VANCOUVER'S SEXIEST BROADCASTER AND COUGAR HUNTER

*OPINIONS EXRESSED ARE THOSE OF THE AUTHOR, AND THEY DO NOT NECESSARILY REFLECT THOSE OF ©BELL MEDIA*

WATCH THE DAVID PRATT SHOW W/BRO JAKE 6-10 AM, M-F ON THE TEAM 1040