GDT: Isles @ Canucks. 7 pm. SNP

This forum is to discuss game day happenings. New threads will be posted for each game.

Moderator: Referees

Mickey107
MVP
MVP

Re: GDT: Isles @ Canucks. 7 pm. SNP

Post by Mickey107 »

Strangelove wrote: Sun Feb 24, 2019 2:19 pm
Welcome to the Wide World of Sports

... where the chosen whipping boys serve this purpose.
I actually do know that.
"evolution"
Mickey107
MVP
MVP

Post by Mickey107 »

Strangelove wrote: Sun Feb 24, 2019 2:15 pm
micky107 wrote: Sun Feb 24, 2019 2:00 pm I will admit one thing. As a hockey guy, I can be prejudice about my likes and dislikes in regards to players.
Is anyone else willing to admit such a thing?.... :shock:
You are the only one who is prejudiced in this manner.
If I'm the only one, I promise to seek help, truly I do.
"evolution"
Blob Mckenzie
MVP
MVP

Post by Blob Mckenzie »

Hank wrote: Sun Feb 24, 2019 1:00 pm Dear gawd, do you guys over-react much?

There was nothing even remotely controversial as to what HW or anyone else said about Brock. You can't be one-dimensional in this league and continue to be successful. That is the truth.

Green has given tough love to those who have needed it. Some have responded well, others look like they're going to be who they are and will be out of the league soon. Brock hasn't been good lately. He's been lazy, he's fat and out of shape, and gets completely gassed easily.

This league will shut you down if you don't continue to improve. Look at Goldy. Look at Petey. Talent alone isn't enough, you have to bring more to the table.

Relax people, relax.

And c'mon, Cam Neely would never have had the same career with those 80's Canuck teams.
Neely played 4th line for that scabby Canucks team and still averaged 17 goals from 19-21.

Pat Quinn showed up a year later and had the team in playoffs by 89. You’re probably correct that Cam may not have had a bunch of 50 goal seasons.

But imagine him, Pavel, Trevor, Lumme, Ronning, Courtnall, Larionov(fuck you Quinn) snd one of Shanahan/Wesley/Turgeon.

Neely would have been an annual 35-40 goal guy here easily.
“I don’t care what you and some other poster were talking about”
DonCherry4PM
MVP
MVP

Post by DonCherry4PM »

mr perfect wrote: Sun Feb 24, 2019 11:58 am Yeah, let's do it. Trade Boeser this minute. Let's do like the Canucks did with Rick Vaive, a one dimensional winger who was traded just before his 21st birthday. The same with Cam Neely, another one dimensional winger traded at 21 years old. Boeser is only 21 until tomorrow, he must be moved before he turns 22. LET'S FUCKING DO IT! NO TIME TO WASTE! The only question is do they do it Harry Neale style and throw Bo Horvat in to get Milan Lucic and Zack Kassian from Edmonton or do they do it Arthur Griffiths/Jack Gordon style and trade Boeser and 2020 first rounder for Jonathan Toews? Stanley Cup? It's more important the Canucks remain in NHL purgatory for eternity. WE CAN DO THIS CANUCKS FANS! Oh, and bring back the double Vs. Might as well look the part.
:lol:

I like it.
Invincibility lies in oneself.
Vincibility lies in the enemy.

- Sun Tzu
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Strangelove »

Harry Neale style! :D
____
Try to focus on someday.
mr perfect
MVP
MVP

Post by mr perfect »

There was nothing even remotely controversial as to what HW or anyone else said about Brock. You can't be one-dimensional in this league and continue to be successful. That is the truth.

Green has given tough love to those who have needed it. Some have responded well, others look like they're going to be who they are and will be out of the league soon. Brock hasn't been good lately. He's been lazy, he's fat and out of shape, and gets completely gassed easily.

This league will shut you down if you don't continue to improve. Look at Goldy. Look at Petey. Talent alone isn't enough, you have to bring more to the table.

Relax people, relax.

And c'mon, Cam Neely would never have had the same career with those 80's Canuck teams.
So you think I'm overreacting Hank?

This isn't necessarily directed at HW, she can have an opinion. There are however posters here advocating trading Boeser and doing so in this thread. It's as if we now have this bright, shiny new toy in Pettersson so let's throw out last year's favourite toy. It's very CDCish. The last time I looked the Canucks are in a rebuilding mode and really only have three quality forwards in Boeser, Horvat and Pettersson. I've read posters here state they want to see Horvat's rights before he had even played a game for the Canucks along with the Canucks' first round pick in 2014 traded so the Canucks could be in a position to draft Sam Reinhart because Horvat was never going to be anything more than a third line centre. I've read here how Horvat should be traded for Jonathan Drouin when Drouin was pouting down in Tampa. Or trade Horvat to Montreal for P. K. Subban. Now it's lets trade Boeser away. These are all young players, they make mistakes as they learn. There's supposed to be a plan in place, not just keep sticking different parts in until something fits. Not just throwing shit against the wall until something sticks. The Canucks are in no position to trade Boeser because they just make themselves deficient in one area while trying to shore up another. Replace him by drafting a high scoring forward? Then why have the Canucks had a serious shortage of high scoring forwards in their 50 year history and when they get one (or two) they trade them away before they start scoring? For journeyman or over the hill players?
I don't have a problem trading players if it makes the team better in the long run. I am against trading players if they are young, haven't reached their potential and the team has no one ready to replace them. We have no idea what Boeser's ultimate potential is. Tough love and benching Boeser means the Canucks stand less of a chance of winning the next game they play in. No thanks.
mr perfect
MVP
MVP

Post by mr perfect »

rats19 wrote: Sun Feb 24, 2019 12:45 pm
mr perfect wrote: Sun Feb 24, 2019 11:58 am Yeah, let's do it. Trade Boeser this minute. Let's do like the Canucks did with Rick Vaive, a one dimensional winger who was traded just before his 21st birthday. The same with Cam Neely, another one dimensional winger traded at 21 years old. Boeser is only 21 until tomorrow, he must be moved before he turns 22. LET'S FUCKING DO IT! NO TIME TO WASTE! The only question is do they do it Harry Neale style and throw Bo Horvat in to get Milan Lucic and Zack Kassian from Edmonton or do they do it Arthur Griffiths/Jack Gordon style and trade Boeser and 2020 first rounder for Jonathan Toews? Stanley Cup? It's more important the Canucks remain in NHL purgatory for eternity. WE CAN DO THIS CANUCKS FANS! Oh, and bring back the double Vs. Might as well look the part.
Feel better? :wink:
I feel great. No hangover this A.M.
Hockey Widow
CC Legend

Post by Hockey Widow »

Touchy board today. Too bad some people can’t read.
The only HW the Canucks need
rats19
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by rats19 »

mr perfect wrote: Sun Feb 24, 2019 3:24 pm
rats19 wrote: Sun Feb 24, 2019 12:45 pm
Feel better? :wink:
I feel great. No hangover this A.M.
Awesome, good to know
Silence intelligence so stupid isn’t offended….
mr perfect
MVP
MVP

Post by mr perfect »

Strangelove wrote: Sun Feb 24, 2019 3:13 pm Harry Neale style! :D
It was actually Jake Milford who made the trade but it had Harry Neale's fingerprints all over it. As a coach he had no time for young players and wanted veterans. As GM he traded away his veteran defence men and with Bill Laforge went with five young D-men who were slaughtered by the NHL forwards to the tune of 400 goals against, the worst GA in Canucks history. Gretzky and Co. were smacking their lips. Milford didn't want Neale to succeed him as GM, he suggested Jim Gregory as successor to Griffiths. They guy who drafted Darrell Sittler, Lanny McDonald and Borje Salming in TO. Naturally Griffiths went with Neale because they could control him.
mr perfect
MVP
MVP

Post by mr perfect »

Hockey Widow wrote: Sun Feb 24, 2019 3:32 pm Touchy board today. Too bad some people can’t read.
And who might that be HW?

"This isn't necessarily directed at HW, she can have an opinion."

"These are all young players, they make mistakes as they learn."

"I am against trading players if they are young, haven't reached their potential and the team has no one ready to replace them. We have no idea what Boeser's ultimate potential is."

I also disagree with you on Boeser being one dimensional. When he first suited up with the Canucks last season I noticed he was a much better passer/playmaker than I was let to believe. Be patient.
Carl Yagro
MVP
MVP

Post by Carl Yagro »

Blob Mckenzie wrote: Sun Feb 24, 2019 2:37 pm

Relax people, relax.

Neely played 4th line for that scabby Canucks team and still averaged 17 goals from 19-21.

Pat Quinn showed up a year later and had the team in playoffs by 89. You’re probably correct that Cam may not have had a bunch of 50 goal seasons.

But imagine him, Pavel, Trevor, Lumme, Ronning, Courtnall, Larionov(fuck you Quinn) snd one of Shanahan/Wesley/Turgeon.

Neely would have been an annual 35-40 goal guy here easily.
That's what I meant Blob. Neely still would have been very good, just not Boston great.

Would he have made a difference here until all those other guys you mentioned arrived? Yeah he would have. But my favorite player of that era, Tony Tanti didn't despite all the goals he scored. He definitely would have had multiple 50 goals seasons on a better team.

So, that's my comparable. We wasted talent in the 80's cause we sucked badly. Pat Quinn deserves his statue.
The Best GD Canucks Hockey Talk Forum in the World... With Only 18 People!
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Strangelove »

Tiger wrote: Sat Feb 23, 2019 10:58 pm Stone for Boesser ?
Canucks must get Stone :)
EVERYBODY MUST GET STONE!!
____
Try to focus on someday.