Boston Red Sox vs. New York Yankees

The primary goal of this site is to provide mature, meaningful discussion about the Vancouver Canucks. However, we all need a break some time so this forum is basically for anything off-topic, off the wall, or to just get something off your chest! This forum is named after poster Creeper, who passed away in July of 2011 and was a long time member of the Canucks message board community.

Moderator: Referees

The winner is....

Boston
83%
New York
17%

Total votes: 12

PlayoffVan
AHL Prospect

Post by PlayoffVan »

What a tragic story. People got way out of hand and the cops had to step in. An awful accident like this should never happen.

Of course I could be an idiot and say "If any franchise or set of fans deserve to be tortured like that it's definitely Boston" ... then I could turn around and say the same thing about Canucks fans after the rioting in 1994. :roll:
Blob Mckenzie
MVP
MVP

Post by Blob Mckenzie »

PlayoffVan wrote:
Blob Mckenzie wrote:Worst chokejob ever by the Yankees. George is going to go apeshit. :lol: Oh well I'll enjoy it that much more watching either the Astros or the Cards beat the scumbag Red Sox in the World Series. If any franchise or set of fans deserve to be tortured like that it's definitely Boston . :lol: They've earned every bit of it. :twisted: Red Sox fans make Leaf fnas look like angels. :P
I'd like to know how you formulated this opinion from, I'm guessing here, the other side of the continent.

Its always telling when someone makes blanket statements, makes you wonder who the scumbag really is :roll:
Well Mr. Hero I formed the opinion of Red Sox fans on being one for many many years. After 20 + years of being a diehard fan of a team I would consider that to be enough to form an opinion of a team regardless of where one lives. But I'm sure there will always be some holier than thou casual fans here to set us all straight. :roll: Most Red Sox fans(not all) are a pack of sheep who swallow Boston management's garbage like a hooker on the downtown eastside. They have made brutal deal after brutal deal eg. offering Roger Clemens a 2 year contract for 4 million per season when they knew he could have doubled that amount in term and annual salary easily on the open market and he did with the Blue Jays. Then Dan Duquette lies to the fans about the money and term , and does a complete 360 when the Hendricks brothers( Clemens agents) call him on it. He then proceeds to say Clemens is in the twilight of his career and doesn't have more than a couple of years left and the fans eat it up all the while Duquette smears the guy's good name and past achievements. First time back to Fenway the guy has to have EXTRA security becuase of threats from fans etc. He has been booed on a regular basis there ever since.

Not having the class to tell Mike Greenwell to his face that he has been released after 13 seasons there. Gee that's classy. He heard it on the radio.

Trading a young slugger like Jeff Bagwell for a bum like Larry Anderson and justifying it by saying Baggy will never be more than a platoon player. Some platoon player- he's a surefire hall of famer.

Bringing in two of the biggest scumbags in baseball in Money Ramiez and Pedro Martinez. Martinez when asked about the curse of the Bambino replied: "wake up the babe and I'll drill him in the head". That is akin to someone desectrating Wayne Gretzky whehn he passes away. You don't crap on the best baseball player ever- not to mention the most popular player ever. Ramirez routinely watches his homeruns land and then wags a a finger at pitchers (I'd nail him in the head after every time he did it if I was a pitcher).You don't show people up and not to mention he is a lazy f*ck who has said in the past he'd like to play for the Yankees. Gee that's cool coming from a guy you're paying 18 million a year.

They chase Nomar out of town and then smear him afterwards. Gutless !!!!
The topper was hearing a spoof song on a Boston radio show called F. U Babe ( the original was I got You Babe). Really classy.

Seeing as I was a fan of thast organzation for 20 + years and saw them regularly when they came to Seattle i know of what I speak, but thanks for your 2 cents. :roll:
PlayoffVan
AHL Prospect

Post by PlayoffVan »

Blob Mckenzie wrote:
PlayoffVan wrote:
Blob Mckenzie wrote:Worst chokejob ever by the Yankees. George is going to go apeshit. :lol: Oh well I'll enjoy it that much more watching either the Astros or the Cards beat the scumbag Red Sox in the World Series. If any franchise or set of fans deserve to be tortured like that it's definitely Boston . :lol: They've earned every bit of it. :twisted: Red Sox fans make Leaf fnas look like angels. :P
I'd like to know how you formulated this opinion from, I'm guessing here, the other side of the continent.

Its always telling when someone makes blanket statements, makes you wonder who the scumbag really is :roll:
Well Mr. Hero I formed the opinion of Red Sox fans on being one for many many years. After 20 + years of being a diehard fan of a team I would consider that to be enough to form an opinion of a team regardless of where one lives. But I'm sure there will always be some holier than thou casual fans here to set us all straight. :roll: Most Red Sox fans(not all) are a pack of sheep who swallow Boston management's garbage like a hooker on the downtown eastside. They have made brutal deal after brutal deal eg. offering Roger Clemens a 2 year contract for 4 million per season when they knew he could have doubled that amount in term and annual salary easily on the open market and he did with the Blue Jays. Then Dan Duquette lies to the fans about the money and term , and does a complete 360 when the Hendricks brothers( Clemens agents) call him on it. He then proceeds to say Clemens is in the twilight of his career and doesn't have more than a couple of years left and the fans eat it up all the while Duquette smears the guy's good name and past achievements. First time back to Fenway the guy has to have EXTRA security becuase of threats from fans etc. He has been booed on a regular basis there ever since.

Not having the class to tell Mike Greenwell to his face that he has been released after 13 seasons there. Gee that's classy. He heard it on the radio.

Trading a young slugger like Jeff Bagwell for a bum like Larry Anderson and justifying it by saying Baggy will never be more than a platoon player. Some platoon player- he's a surefire hall of famer.

Bringing in two of the biggest scumbags in baseball in Money Ramiez and Pedro Martinez. Martinez when asked about the curse of the Bambino replied: "wake up the babe and I'll drill him in the head". That is akin to someone desectrating Wayne Gretzky whehn he passes away. You don't crap on the best baseball player ever- not to mention the most popular player ever. Ramirez routinely watches his homeruns land and then wags a a finger at pitchers (I'd nail him in the head after every time he did it if I was a pitcher).You don't show people up and not to mention he is a lazy f*ck who has said in the past he'd like to play for the Yankees. Gee that's cool coming from a guy you're paying 18 million a year.

They chase Nomar out of town and then smear him afterwards. Gutless !!!!
The topper was hearing a spoof song on a Boston radio show called F. U Babe ( the original was I got You Babe). Really classy.

Seeing as I was a fan of thast organzation for 20 + years and saw them regularly when they came to Seattle i know of what I speak, but thanks for your 2 cents. :roll:
I see, so basically you're a bitter ex-fan and you are merely trying to live up to your "grumpy old man" online image that you have worked so hard to perfect over the years.

Having lived in Boston, I don't see the same management suck-up mentality (incidentally, I see it much more with Canucks fans). In fact, quite the opposite. Duquette's name is now dragged through the mud on a regular basis. Everyone admits letting Clemens walk was a mistake.. you still hear a few luggage quotes but what can you expect? Every move made by Theo, Grady, Francona, etc has been dissected. Everyone has an opinion, which is why I like Boston fans. You can talk to an 85 year old Grandmother who can explain you the infield fly rule. Where else do you see that?

Manny and Pedro..ok? Manny is one of the most loved players on the team, with good reason. He has matured immensely this year with the help of Ortiz and others. He has his "Manny moments" but big deal. Yes he's aloof, seemingly stupid at times, but he's also one of the best talents in the game. He's not a bad guy.

On Pedro, who cares what he said about Ruth? Pedro's a smart guy, and he knows the fans eat that stuff up. The Babe wasn't exactly a role model either. That fat, alcoholic, womanizer has been glorified by history like no other. Put him next to Bonds, and Bonds looks like a saint. Ruth compared to Gretzky?!? Thats a faaaaaar stretch. Kind of odd how you say Manny is a scumbag, then you use Ruth as a victim. LOL!

Greenwell, Bagwell fine. A different ownership and management group again.. much different from this one. Bad moves, but whatever. I didn't stop liking the Canucks when they signed Messier.

Nomar wasn't chased. They traded him away once they realized he wasn't going to re-sign. He was twice offered 4 years, $60 million and turned it down. I'd like to see him try to get anywhere near that now. Then he pusses out and quits on his team with the Achilles injury.. yeah there's a real team player. All this because of the A-Rod rumors. Typical Nomar, thining he's the only star player ever to be brought up in trade rumors. Could you be any more vain? He didn't even speak to most of his teammates, he turned his nose up at the media, and he showed no desire to play in Boston. Good riddance. With him on the team they might have missed the playoffs.

I still fail to see why you quit on them after 20+ years and suddenly hate the team and every fan with a vengeance. Saying we deserve to be tortured is a bit hostile, no? But I suppose you'd rather continue playing the old grumpster, shaking your cane at the long haired Red Sox having fun playing baseball. Have fun with that..
jchockey
MVP
MVP

Post by jchockey »

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/fallclass ... id=1907562

discussion of victoria snelgrove and boston police
Blob Mckenzie
MVP
MVP

Post by Blob Mckenzie »

:lol: Manny is loved with good reason. For what being a hotdog who said he'd rather play for the Yanks last year ? :lol: For being the worst defensive outfielder in captivity ?

I don't hate current management, I actually like some of the current Sox, but when you stop cheering for a team because previous managment has pissed you off to no end it's kind of difficult to climb back abord that bandwagon. I don't hate the fans but a lot of them ( not all ) are a pile of sheep. Epstein has made some decent moves but to compare the Messier signing with not re-signing Clemens is laughable. Nomar wasn't everyone's cup of tea, but the guy listened to trade rumors for two years and even had his own teamates(Millar) saying that wouldn't it be great if A-Rod was aquired. Nomar is a far better player than Crabrera and up until this year has been pretty solid in the field( Injuries have slowed him down big time). Larry Lucchino looks like an idiot when the team spends all winter trying to aquire Pay -Rod and they can't complete the deal. It certainly wasn';t a lack of money...........then once again he whines to the press about the yankees buying a team. Christ their starting lineup doesn't have anyone that came up through their arganization other than Varitek. :lol:

I am not "bitter" at Sox fans , but i admit that they are about as loveable as Leaf fans to me as I know a couple of transplanted Bostonians and I have to work with a couple other Sox fans. That and watching Bennifer almost ball like a little girl when the Yankees aquired Pay Rod makes me roll my eyes at the majority of Sox fans. :roll: Some of them are about as anal retentive as a bull at fly time , but I guess that's what you get after 86 years of losing. :lol:
PlayoffVan
AHL Prospect

Post by PlayoffVan »

I guess Ortiz summed Manny up best in a radio interview this year. "Manny is like a little kid." I pretty much agree with that. He did say he'd like to be a Yankee, then the Sox fed him some humble pie and out him on waivers. When Manny saw that even the Yankees didn't want him, he had his "transformation." He is a different player this year. He talks more, he's got that perma-grin. He still has his defensive gaffes, his times when he doesn't run out ground balls. I'm not saying he's a role model of a professional athlete. I just think he's entertaining. He's got that perfect swing and a personality of a kid brother. I can beat the shit out of him, but no one else better say a word :lol:

Not signing Clemens (Duquette) was stupid. Enticing Schilling to the Sox by having Thanksgiving dinner with him (Epstein) was brilliant. When all is said and done, maybe one of the best jobs done by a GM in local history, when Schilling was previously on record saying that he wanted no part of Boston. Epstein has done a terrific job bringing in guys ike Ortiz, Millar, Mueller, Bellhorn, Kapler, Reese, Foulke, Schilling, etc.

I go both ways with the Nomar thing. He was, as a ball-player, all you could ask for. Played hard every game, always giving his best. In the end, Boston got the best of him. He probably never was cut out for the city. Looking at the pre- vs. post-Nomar Sox this year its hard to argue that the move wasn't the right one. His whining and continued isolation from his teammates was too much. Cabrera is serviceable, but indeed no Nomar. Classic case of addition by subtraction.

Boston fans aren't all bad. I'll agree that some are annoying and over-bearing, like the ones who chant "Yankees Suck" when the Sox are playing the D-Rays, or even when the Bruins are playing the Rangers, or the Celtics playing the Nets (I have personally witnessed all three of these in person and it turns my stomach). But for every one of those, there's the long-suffering 65 year old watching the game with his son and grandson. Its a passionate baseball town, and some go too far, but its hard not to admire it when you live there. I've never seen anything like it.

Oh well, 2 wins away... still plenty of time for a disaster :lol:
Blob Mckenzie
MVP
MVP

Post by Blob Mckenzie »

Schill was a brilliant signing. An absolute horse that is sooooo money. I also like Ortiz, and though I'll never be a Man Ram fan the guy can swing the stick with the best of them. You guys are half way there, but I still think St. Lou has some fight left in them. Sooner or later that offence has to wake up, though Larry is playing well.

This series had better go 6 or 7 , because compared to the two League Championships, it's so far been a disappointment. Boston cannot continue to average 4 errors a game and get away with it. Sooner or later that comes back to bite you in the ass. Cards pitching has been abyssmal, though that lineup can hurt most team's pitching. I really would have liked to see what the Astros could have done with a healthy Andy Pettite and Wade Miller. :(