2019 NHL ENTRY DRAFT - Vancouver

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

SKYO
MVP
MVP

Re: 2019 NHL ENTRY DRAFT - Vancouver

Post by SKYO »

RoyalDude wrote: Fri Jan 11, 2019 6:01 am SKYO, Dach went 15 games scoring only 1 goal 2 assists, this injury you’re blaming his shit play on is recent
idk bruh, scouts and teams are tight lipped sharing info, but Kirby Dach has some Getzlaf aura about him, Getzlaf also fell in his draft to #19 because he wasn't super fire in the playoffs.
Ryan Getzlaf had a very good draft year as a junior for the Calgary Hitmen, but not a spectacular one. He potted 29 goals and 68 points in 70 games for the Hitmen, with only two points in five playoff games.

He joined Team Canada for the U18s and was fairly disappointing. Perhaps because of this "unclutch" play, on draft day, Getzlaf dropped a bit. He was the fifth ranked North American skater by Central Scouting but was the 13th North American skater taken.
Be nice to get into the top 10 this draft.
Can the Canucks just win a Cup within the next 5 years.
Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

Post by Chef Boi RD »

Cozens - 40 games
Dach - 39 games
Krebs - 39 games

Where all these games missed due to injury for Dach, SKYO?

Dach has fallen off the cliff to 44th in the WHL in scoring. He’s fallen to an 8th ranking in Buttons latest 2019 draft rankings list. Falling in the daft prior to the draft is always a bad sign on the player. He was mostly ranked 3rd overall at the 1/4 poll

Cozens looks to have 3rd overall sewn up, he’s playing great
“Tyler Myers is my guy... I was taking to Scotty Bowman last night and he was bringing up his name, and saying he’s a big guy and big guy need big minutes to play, he is playing great for ya… and I agree with him… He’s been exceptional” - Bruce Boudreau
SKYO
MVP
MVP

Post by SKYO »

Dach might drop a bit, but he should be a top 10 pick. Lavoie could be better option - 6'4 192Ibs size & power, with soft hands, not afraid to use those hands to scrap. Dangerous quick wrister.

Guessing a list like this, I will change it from time to time. :D

#1) Hughes
#2) Kakko
#3) Cozens
#4) Podkolzin
#5) Byram
#6) Dach
#7) Turcotte
#8) Raphael Lavoie
#9) Krebs
#10) Broberg
#11) Arthur Kaliyev
#12) Boldy
#13) Zegras
#14) Suzuki
#15) Newhook
Mickey107
MVP
MVP

Post by Mickey107 »

January 9th;
https://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/spo ... s-january/

Still 5 months. That's an eternity.
"evolution"
theman
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by theman »

What kind of draft is this turning out to be?

Forward heavy?
D heavy?
Clear top class and then a drop off?
Deep draft?
SKYO
MVP
MVP

Post by SKYO »

theman wrote: Fri Jan 11, 2019 12:04 pm What kind of draft is this turning out to be?

Forward heavy?
D heavy?
Clear top class and then a drop off?
Deep draft?
This draft is incredibly deep at center ice. It differs from the 2018 group that was heavy on both defensemen and wingers. In fact, only eight centers were chosen in that first round, a sharp decrease from the 16 pivots drafted in 2017.

What’s interesting about Jack Hughes is that he likely won’t be the only center on his team who gets drafted in the top 10. This year’s NTDP arguably is the best in the program’s 22-year history, and teammates Alex Turcotte and Trevor Zegras are two reasons why.

Lethbridge power forward Dylan Cozens had strong showings at the under-18 Ivan Hlinka tournament and the U20 CHL-Russia Super Series, but he’s been a real workhorse and leader for the Hurricanes. Cozens currently sits eighth in WHL scoring with 56 points in 40 games, including 32 in his last 18 contests.

Not far behind Cozens are fellow WHL centers Peyton Krebs and Saskatoon’s Kirby Dach. Krebs is a sturdy, three-zone playmaker with leadership traits who plays a similar style to the Blackhawks’ Jonathan Toews.

Dach is a big-bodied passing aficionado with the vision of Joe Thornton and the ability to maintain control of the puck in the tightest of spaces.

http://www.sportingnews.com/us/nhl/news ... um=twitter
*Of note is LW Vasili Podkolzin, the Russian Matthew Tkachuk, plays a feisty game but with higher end skills, will stay in the KHL for a couple years likely until he feels ready for the NHL.
Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

Post by Chef Boi RD »

SKYO wrote: Fri Jan 11, 2019 11:58 am Dach might drop a bit, but he should be a top 10 pick. Lavoie could be better option - 6'4 192Ibs size & power, with soft hands, not afraid to use those hands to scrap. Dangerous quick wrister.

Guessing a list like this, I will change it from time to time. :D

#1) Hughes
#2) Kakko
#3) Cozens
#4) Podkolzin
#5) Byram
#6) Dach
#7) Turcotte
#8) Raphael Lavoie
#9) Krebs
#10) Broberg
#11) Arthur Kaliyev
#12) Boldy
#13) Zegras
#14) Suzuki
#15) Newhook
Your list is fucked SKYO. Zegras, Boldy and Kaliyev should be a fair bit higher - top 10 for sure. Turcotte is way too high, falling fast and Byram should be around 10th. Newhook is falling fast as well, he most likely won’t get drafted higher than 20th. Dach looks to be falling out of the top 10. Broberg is the real card of the draft. Cozens may be the only Canadian drafted top 10
“Tyler Myers is my guy... I was taking to Scotty Bowman last night and he was bringing up his name, and saying he’s a big guy and big guy need big minutes to play, he is playing great for ya… and I agree with him… He’s been exceptional” - Bruce Boudreau
SKYO
MVP
MVP

Post by SKYO »

RoyalDude wrote: Fri Jan 11, 2019 4:14 pmYour list is fucked SKYO. Zegras, Boldy and Kaliyev should be a fair bit higher - top 10 for sure. Turcotte is way too high, falling fast and Byram should be around 10th. Newhook is falling fast as well, he most likely won’t get drafted higher than 20th. Dach looks to be falling out of the top 10. Broberg is the real card of the draft. Cozens may be the only Canadian drafted top 10
Yeah but that team USNTDP is stacked!
Zegras, Boldy and Turcotte, one wonders how much of their success is helped by playing with or behind Jack Hughes? getting the lesser defensive skilled opposition.
Turcotte is a puck-carrier in his own right, but more of a north-south, puck distributor than the type who needs to hold on to the puck and find the perfect moment to find the open man.

Realistically, Zegras is a smarter defensive player than Hughes, and plays with more intensity. His skating is probably on par with that of Jack, his edges may even be a notch above and his one-on-one dekes are better from what I've seen. What sets Hughes apart is his IQ, and he also has a better shot.
I think all will be decent NHLers though, but that team is loaded, probably Brackett will have some good insight on em.
Of all those americans after Hughes, Zegras has a ton of potential yeah, he'll be top 10.
SKYO
MVP
MVP

Post by SKYO »

RoyalDude wrote: Fri Jan 11, 2019 11:26 amDach has fallen off the cliff to 44th in the WHL in scoring. He’s fallen to an 8th ranking in Buttons latest 2019 draft rankings list. Falling in the daft prior to the draft is always a bad sign on the player. He was mostly ranked 3rd overall at the 1/4 poll
Dach got to be the center of attention from every team to defend against, now if he can overcome that and continue to score the latter half of the season, he's gonna be a NHL star.
Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

Post by Chef Boi RD »

SKYO wrote: Fri Jan 11, 2019 7:44 pm
RoyalDude wrote: Fri Jan 11, 2019 11:26 amDach has fallen off the cliff to 44th in the WHL in scoring. He’s fallen to an 8th ranking in Buttons latest 2019 draft rankings list. Falling in the daft prior to the draft is always a bad sign on the player. He was mostly ranked 3rd overall at the 1/4 poll
Dach got to be the center of attention from every team to defend against, now if he can overcome that and continue to score the latter half of the season, he's gonna be a NHL star.
Like Nolan Patrick is an NHL star? Patrick put up way better numbers in the dub at a year younger age than Dach is now. Patrick’s success (lackthereof) in the nhl thus far should give you an idea of how tough it’s going to be for a similar type of centre in Dach
Cousin Strawberry
MVP
MVP

Post by Cousin Strawberry »

I hope we draft Dach just to watch the dudes backpedaling skills on display. Even if the asset is a failure it would be worth it to interpret facial expressions through online messageboard postings
If you need air...call it in
Blob Mckenzie
MVP
MVP

Post by Blob Mckenzie »

Uncle dans leg wrote: Sat Jan 12, 2019 11:52 am I hope we draft Dach just to watch the dudes backpedaling skills on display. Even if the asset is a failure it would be worth it to interpret facial expressions through online messageboard postings
Meh.... we watch them all the time anyways. He’ll twist and turn it into a knot similar to Doc.

As Diehard said it’s like nailing jello to a wall.
“I don’t care what you and some other poster were talking about”
Cousin Strawberry
MVP
MVP

Post by Cousin Strawberry »

The dude rules. I love how hard he defends his perspectives for fuckin decades if necessary.
If you need air...call it in
Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

Post by Chef Boi RD »

Uncle dans leg wrote: Sat Jan 12, 2019 11:52 am I hope we draft Dach just to watch the dudes backpedaling skills on display. Even if the asset is a failure it would be worth it to interpret facial expressions through online messageboard postings
Where the Canucks will be drafting - between 18th and 22nd I am most certainly drafting Dach in those spots. But Dach will struggle to stay in the top 10 if the kid can’t rediscover his offence which has completely dried up over the last 20 games
SKYO
MVP
MVP

Post by SKYO »

Patrick
RoyalDude wrote: Sat Jan 12, 2019 9:55 am
SKYO wrote: Fri Jan 11, 2019 7:44 pm
Like Nolan Patrick is an NHL star? Patrick put up way better numbers in the dub at a year younger age than Dach is now. Patrick’s success (lackthereof) in the nhl thus far should give you an idea of how tough it’s going to be for a similar type of centre in Dach
Nolan Patrick has been injured too much.

1/05/2019 Missed 4 games (upper body injury).

12/28/2018 Upper body injury, day-to-day.
10/20/2018 Missed 3 games (upper body injury).
10/11/2018 Upper body injury, sidelined indefinitely.

11/16/2017 Missed 9 games (upper body injury).
10/30/2017 Upper body injury, injured reserve.
10/26/2017 Upper body injury, day-to-day.

BPA all day, and if that's Dach when the Canucks pick great, team needs some size and skill up front besides Virtanen.
Imagine having a top 3 center punch of:

Petey - Generational talent.
Horvat - The workhorse.
Dach - Massive size and skill, and he's a passer/playmaker, just what the team needs in that #3C spot.