The Rebuild...

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

Blob Mckenzie
MVP
MVP

Re: The Rebuild...

Post by Blob Mckenzie »

RoyalDude wrote: Sat Nov 05, 2016 5:08 pm
Island Nucklehead wrote:
Mondi wrote: How good would the team look...with Boesser, Demko, and PATRICK in the lineup next season? Haha!
Honestly? Probably not much better.
But ya gotta admit, win or lose, this city would be pretty fucking jacked about the future of this team? If we could draft Patrick? I could care less if we lost all 80 games next season. That means Jack Wise, Joseph Veleno or that Russian kid in 2018! Some folks are saying Wise is better than Eichel, and Veleno may be the best Canadian forward since McDavid
Hmmm is this the same Wise that I posted about ONE time? Yet Dude seems a bit obsessed with this player

He wanted Patrick, Wise and Veleno
“I don’t care what you and some other poster were talking about”
Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

Post by Chef Boi RD »

Blob Mckenzie wrote: Tue Dec 25, 2018 2:38 pm
RoyalDude wrote: Sat Nov 05, 2016 5:08 pm
Island Nucklehead wrote:
Mondi wrote: How good would the team look...with Boesser, Demko, and PATRICK in the lineup next season? Haha!
Honestly? Probably not much better.
But ya gotta admit, win or lose, this city would be pretty fucking jacked about the future of this team? If we could draft Patrick? I could care less if we lost all 80 games next season. That means Jack Wise, Joseph Veleno or that Russian kid in 2018! Some folks are saying Wise is better than Eichel, and Veleno may be the best Canadian forward since McDavid
Hmmm is this the same Wise that I posted about ONE time? Yet Dude seems a bit obsessed with this player

He wanted Patrick, Wise and Veleno
How old is that post Blob? Why don’t you look and see where those players ranked at one time or another over the previous years leading up to the draft, was I out of order?

Anyhow, aren’t you glad Benning ignores me? Otherwise no Pettersson, no Madden.

Anyhow nothing is stagnant when it comes to pre draft rankings not until the last couple months leading up the draft. Wise and Veleno were once considered 1st overall pick potentials. Am I wrong there?
“Tyler Myers is my guy... I was taking to Scotty Bowman last night and he was bringing up his name, and saying he’s a big guy and big guy need big minutes to play, he is playing great for ya… and I agree with him… He’s been exceptional” - Bruce Boudreau
Ronning's Ghost
MVP
MVP

Post by Ronning's Ghost »

I guess this is the thread for it.

Pettersson is clearly a gifted hockey player. He is also very light, and proportionately more vulnerable to injury. (Both of the plays on which he has been injured this season involved the other player picking him up and tossing him down. Yes, that's a penalty. But this the NHL.)

Quinn Hughes has abundant talent, and is listed at the same weight as Pettersson. Tyler Madden is showing very well at the World Juniors, but is lighter than either of them.

It looks like Benning is building a highly-skilled, small team. Which seems weird to me, because I'm pretty sure he watched the 2011 Stanley Cup Playoff final, too. I feel like we've seen this movie before. It looks like the Canucks are on track to contend for a couple of more President's Trophies, but once the playoffs start and the whistles are forgotten, all of their most productive players will be mangled. (Mason Raymond's back says "hi".)

The only way I can imagine the roster we could project (based on what's on the ice, and what's in the pipeline) having any playoff success is if the League and its officials feel remorse for 2011, and call the Stanley Cup Playoffs like international hockey. You can work out the odds of that for yourselves.

Meat and Potatoes ?
Last edited by Ronning's Ghost on Fri Jan 11, 2019 9:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ronning's Ghost
MVP
MVP

Post by Ronning's Ghost »

Some may feel obliged to point out that smaller, highly skilled teams have had playoff success before, and that there are many -- maybe more than ever before -- smaller players having success now. Those are True Facts.

But those are different franchises, and different cities. And this is the NHL.
Last edited by Ronning's Ghost on Thu Jan 03, 2019 7:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Blob Mckenzie
MVP
MVP

Post by Blob Mckenzie »

This team will be tiny in the future

Petey is 165
Hughes is 160
Madden is 155
Razor Thin Olaf is 176
Stecher is 180
Sutter is 180
Eriksson is 180
Granlund is 180
Baertshi is 180
Motte is 170

That’s half the roster and the bigger guys like Horvat, Beaglet, Edler, Gudbranson and Virtanen don’t play especially big.
Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

Post by Chef Boi RD »

Your numbers are amazingly accurate!!! Overwhelmingly

Gaudreau
Point
Marner
Kane

All in the top 12 in scoring in the NHL

No place in the game for small people

We need some Ryan Stantons!!
“Tyler Myers is my guy... I was taking to Scotty Bowman last night and he was bringing up his name, and saying he’s a big guy and big guy need big minutes to play, he is playing great for ya… and I agree with him… He’s been exceptional” - Bruce Boudreau
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Strangelove »

RoyalDude wrote: Thu Jan 03, 2019 7:46 pm Your numbers are amazingly accurate!!! Overwhelmingly
:lol:

Blob has always flat out lied to make his "points", that's not gunna change.

He knows Canuck fans are angry about the Eli attacks, so what does he do?

He tries to direct that anger toward Jimbro, in Emperor Palpatine fashion.

E V I L
____
Try to focus on someday.
Blob Mckenzie
MVP
MVP

Post by Blob Mckenzie »

Strangelove wrote: Thu Jan 03, 2019 8:38 pm
RoyalDude wrote: Thu Jan 03, 2019 7:46 pm Your numbers are amazingly accurate!!! Overwhelmingly
:lol:

Blob has always flat out lied to make his "points", that's not gunna change.

He knows Canuck fans are angry about the Eli attacks, so what does he do?

He tries to direct that anger toward Jimbro, in Emperor Palpatine fashion.

E V I L
Lol I’m just saying it’s a very soft and very tiny, timid team. There’s a place for small players for sure. I just don’t think you need a dozen razor thin players. If you build it that way get a couple legit mean, tough players like a younger Raffi Torres and a Tommy Wilson type guy.
Diehard1
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Diehard1 »

Blob Mckenzie wrote: Thu Jan 03, 2019 7:23 pm This team will be tiny in the future

Petey is 165
Hughes is 160
Madden is 155
Razor Thin Olaf is 176
Stecher is 180
Sutter is 180
Eriksson is 180
Granlund is 180
Baertshi is 180
Motte is 170

That’s half the roster and the bigger guys like Horvat, Beaglet, Edler, Gudbranson and Virtanen don’t play especially big.
Aren’t the Lightning the smallest team in he league, or very close to it? They seem to be pretty good.

Just get skilled hockey players. Can always sign Ryan Reeves if you need protection later on.
Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

Post by Chef Boi RD »

Diehard1 wrote: Thu Jan 03, 2019 8:58 pm
Blob Mckenzie wrote: Thu Jan 03, 2019 7:23 pm This team will be tiny in the future

Petey is 165
Hughes is 160
Madden is 155
Razor Thin Olaf is 176
Stecher is 180
Sutter is 180
Eriksson is 180
Granlund is 180
Baertshi is 180
Motte is 170

Aren’t the Lightning the smallest team in he league, or very close to it? They seem to be pretty good.

Just get skilled hockey players. Can always sign Ryan Reeves if you need protection later on.
Point - 5’-10” 166 lbs
Tyler Johnson - 5’-8” 183 lbs
Gourde - 5’-9” 172 lbs
Martel - 5’-8” 162 lbs
Cirelli - 5’-11” 178 lbs
Kucherov - 5’-11” 178 lbs
Stralman - 5”-11” 190 lbs

HUGE! And Tampa sucks!
Cousin Strawberry
MVP
MVP

Post by Cousin Strawberry »

No cups either (dave andreychuks cup was all big boys)
If you need air...call it in
Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

Post by Chef Boi RD »

Uncle dans leg wrote: Thu Jan 03, 2019 10:25 pm No cups either (dave andreychuks cup was all big boys)
Old school has flown the coup, with the dodo birds and black rhinos now. The Ryan Clowes have been replaced by speed and skill!!
nuckster
MVP
MVP

Post by nuckster »

Just considering the 're-build' and where we are today and what is a reasonable time line for a rebuild.

JB was brought on-board after the 2013-14 season where we finished 36-35-11 (bye Loungo and bye Kesler). He re-tooled and the following season, 14-15, the Canucks finished 48-29-5 and made a quick departure in the first round of play-offs to Calgary. The following 3 seasons, 15-16, 16-17, and 17-18, the Canucks finished no better than 31-38-13, now this season appears to be in the same ilk as the last 4.

If i recall correctly, JB never acknowledged actually pursuing a rebuild until late in the 15-16 season. So here we are in the 18-19 season - 3 years into the rebuild. So what do u think, what's a reasonable time span for a rebuild? How long does mgt. put up with being on the losing side of the ledger? In each of those losing years we should be able count on high draft picks sticking with the club. Might we also have the expectation of accumulating a few quality free agents as well (not talking about Eriksson here)?

So next season is year 4 of the rebuild you have to believe that the gig will be up - neither ownership nor long-suffering fans should have to endure any more of the sub-par bleah that we've been fed. Ole JB needs to be behind a turn of the tide so-to-speak or he's gone - but this is just my opinion. What do others believe is a reasonable time period for orchestrating a rebuild?
cc oldtimer
Cornuck
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Cornuck »

I'm not as concerned with saying a rebuild should take X number of years, but I expect progress through those years.

All we saw this year was a rookie with extreme skill and a goalie find his game. Without those two, we wouldn't have improved much (if any) over last year.

Next year we should see a real jump with fresh bodies on D, a steady goalie from the start, and more experience up front.
Doc: "BTW, Donny was right, you're smug."
5thhorseman
MVP
MVP

Post by 5thhorseman »

The Aquas would be idiots if they fired the GM who stole a generational player in the draft. A lot hinges on Petey's sophomore season.