Canuck News and Notes - 2018-2019

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

2Fingers
MVP
MVP

Re: Canuck News and Notes - 2018-2019

Post by 2Fingers »

Vancouver tied 6 in league for goals scored.
Jovocop
CC Legend

Post by Jovocop »

Reefer2 wrote: Thu Oct 11, 2018 8:40 pm Vancouver tied 6 in league for goals scored.
Unfortunately, they are also 23 in league for goals against with 15 goals in 4 games.
ukcanuck
MVP
MVP

Post by ukcanuck »

First chance I’ve had to see a Boeser interview and you can see the weight gain in his face.

Perhaps it’s the goal he scored that eases my mind, but thinking about it and reading comments here, perhaps it’s not such an unpredictable reaction to his injuries last season and perhaps it’s a good thing as the season wears on.

There can’t be a better weight loss program on earth than the NHL and starting with a few extras pounds in the bank might be just the thing to stay healthy through the campaign?

Anyway If he can round into last years form it’s not looking so bad up front especially if goldobin can make the next step.

Just what are we going to lose in a trade for a DMan ?

Cause shit do we need help there.
Hockey Widow
CC Legend

Post by Hockey Widow »

ukcanuck wrote: Thu Oct 11, 2018 9:39 pm First chance I’ve had to see a Boeser interview and you can see the weight gain in his face.

Perhaps it’s the goal he scored that eases my mind, but thinking about it and reading comments here, perhaps it’s not such an unpredictable reaction to his injuries last season and perhaps it’s a good thing as the season wears on.

There can’t be a better weight loss program on earth than the NHL and starting with a few extras pounds in the bank might be just the thing to stay healthy through the campaign?

Anyway If he can round into last years form it’s not looking so bad up front especially if goldobin can make the next step.

Just what are we going to lose in a trade for a DMan ?

Cause shit do we need help there.

Again, Boeser gets somewhat of a pass this season due to two significant injuries he needed to recover from before he could train. But it is the perception of a habit, showing up to camp ill prepared two seasons in a row, that has me sounding off. Green alluded to that today in talking high praise for Boeser and his talent but needed to be prepared to start a season.

I’m comforted hearing Green’s words because to me it says it is and will be addressed. It also shows how a Green candle handle different players according to how he sees they needed to be handled. Tough love for Jake and Hutton but a more conciliatory approach to Boeser.

I think Boeser will be just fine once he gets his legs under him. Today’s goal was a beUty and I think will help him regain confidence and form. But what I want to see from him is him showing up to camp next year fully engaged and fully prepared. My bet, he does. So long term I’m not worried.
The only HW the Canucks need
Mickey107
MVP
MVP

Post by Mickey107 »

just kidding around. :)
"evolution"
Island Nucklehead
MVP
MVP

Post by Island Nucklehead »

Hockey Widow wrote: Thu Oct 11, 2018 11:28 pm Tough love for Jake and Hutton but a more conciliatory approach to Boeser.
Self preservation.
Cousin Strawberry
MVP
MVP

Post by Cousin Strawberry »

Borrowed from The Score app:

Vancouver Canucks owner Francesco Aquilini is not exactly pleased with some of the recent decisions the team's front office has made.

Canucks general manager Jim Benning signed forward Sam Gagner to a three-year, $9.45-million contract on July 1, 2017, on the heels of a career-high 50-point season. However, Gagner was cut by the Canucks at the end of training camp this year and is currently on loan with the AHL's Toronto Marlies.

Gagner is owed $3.5 million in base salary this year, and $3.2 million next season, regardless of whether he's playing in the NHL or the AHL. Deciding to leave him off the team's 23-man roster led to an uncomfortable phone call between Benning and his boss.

"It was a hard conversation," Benning told Sportsnet's Iain MacIntyre. "I tried to explain to him that we had signed Sam but we felt younger players had outperformed him at camp. I was talking about (Nikolay) Goldobin, mostly. We had to make a hard decision on that, and it was hard to have to call him up and explain it. But at the end of the conversation he understood. That was the hardest call I've had to make to him."

Aquilini was rather candid with his reaction to the surprising news.

"When they made that decision to put Sam in the minors, when they told me, I wasn't happy about it," Aquilini said. "I mean, it's $3 million (per season). It's crazy, but that's what was necessary

Benning getting his resume ready? :lol:
If you need air...call it in
Tciso
MVP
MVP

Post by Tciso »

Hockey Widow wrote: Thu Oct 11, 2018 11:28 pm
I think Boeser will be just fine once he gets his legs under him. Today’s goal was a beUty and I think will help him regain confidence and form. But what I want to see from him is him showing up to camp next year fully engaged and fully prepared. My bet, he does. So long term I’m not worried.
I am looking forward to Boeser also going to the front of the net more. He's listed at 208lbs on TSN, but if he has added 10 pounds, he's as thick as a brick. I'd love to see him ass a dozen garbage goals to go along with 30-40 sniper goals.
The Cup is soooooo ours!!!!!!!
Carl Yagro
MVP
MVP

Post by Carl Yagro »

Nah. Should Aqua fire himself from all his hockey ops decisions after Nonis, Torts, Gillis, Linden, signing off on Luongo's contract, etc?

He was rumoured to be unhappy about all Gillis' NMCs/NTCs when it was necessary to consider buying some guys out.

Cost of doing business. What would he say if JB is like, "Hey Franscesco, I saved you some dough. I just dredged up 4 or 5 more Megnas & Chaputs!"

"Great, JB. Our rebuild will go faster this way and we'll have more money to blow on expensive wines!"

These business moguls don't like losing money but I'm sure they will always find ways to take more of it through their other business dealings.
The Best GD Canucks Hockey Talk Forum in the World... With Only 18 People!
Cousin Strawberry
MVP
MVP

Post by Cousin Strawberry »

I know I'm just stirring up Blob so i can watch the show
If you need air...call it in
Carl Yagro
MVP
MVP

Post by Carl Yagro »

Summoning the grape-stomped beverage cult, UDL?

You be playing with some dangerous excremental incantations there, son.

Meditate to the Hockey Gods with these affirmations instead: "Pett-er-shown, Brockstar, Demko, Gaudette, Hughes Bros"... repeat.
The Best GD Canucks Hockey Talk Forum in the World... With Only 18 People!
Hockey Widow
CC Legend

Post by Hockey Widow »

I don’t begrudge the water boy from being pissed about having to spend 3+ million like this. He should be upset. Having to buy guys out, eat salary in trades, bury guys in the minors, or whatever is costly. And yes he’s had his share of having to pay 2 coaches, or GMs and a host of other employees let go before their contracts were up. But they are different things.

How many player buyouts, eating salaries in trades or burying players in the minors were players Benning signed? I can think of two, Prust and now Gagner. All the others were not his signings. So he should be judged on those two. But going down the same path this year in signing 3-4 FA, especially to deals longer than 3 years, could come back to bite him. He will only get so many passes.

What concerns me about him saying it was the hardest conversation he’s had to have with the water boy is this. If he has to do it again, will he. Or will he send a kid to Utica.
The only HW the Canucks need
Topper
CC Legend

Post by Topper »

The cost of placeholders.
Over the Internet, you can pretend to be anyone or anything.

I'm amazed that so many people choose to be complete twats.
Mickey107
MVP
MVP

Post by Mickey107 »

Hockey Widow wrote: Fri Oct 12, 2018 11:12 am I don’t begrudge the water boy from being pissed about having to spend 3+ million like this. He should be upset. Having to buy guys out, eat salary in trades, bury guys in the minors, or whatever is costly. And yes he’s had his share of having to pay 2 coaches, or GMs and a host of other employees let go before their contracts were up. But they are different things.

How many player buyouts, eating salaries in trades or burying players in the minors were players Benning signed? I can think of two, Prust and now Gagner. All the others were not his signings. So he should be judged on those two. But going down the same path this year in signing 3-4 FA, especially to deals longer than 3 years, could come back to bite him. He will only get so many passes.

What concerns me about him saying it was the hardest conversation he’s had to have with the water boy is this. If he has to do it again, will he. Or will he send a kid to Utica.
And in a way, this all comes full circle into the conversation regarding Vancouver not being as desirable place to play as it was.
The Owner has to take this into consideration too.
So does Benning.

Aside note: Personally, I didn't really care for Gagne. Found him a bit smug.
Owner's whining could sometimes be personal preference no?
"evolution"
Mickey107
MVP
MVP

Post by Mickey107 »

This is what we need for the next meeting between owners and management.
So hard to get to the truth.
Who ya gonna trust?
"evolution"