Canuck News and Notes - 2018-2019

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

Blob Mckenzie
MVP
MVP

Re: Canuck News and Notes - 2018-2019

Post by Blob Mckenzie »

Lol what’s he gonna do? Throw him under the bus?

Typical fluff piece
“I don’t care what you and some other poster were talking about”
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Strangelove »

Blob Mckenzie wrote: Thu Oct 11, 2018 9:54 am Lol what’s he gonna do? Throw him under the bus?

Typical fluff piece
So if the Canucks suck severely this season, he's going to turn around and fire Yumpin' Yimmy

... as per your often-stated prediction?

He's not going to worry about everyone at that point going all

"But Aqua you said 'very soon we are going to be very, very good'"

Yeahno, James Elmer Benning is GM For Life, deal with it bro! :mex:
____
Try to focus on someday.
Carl Yagro
MVP
MVP

Post by Carl Yagro »

Strangelove wrote: Thu Oct 11, 2018 9:52 am
SKYO wrote: Thu Oct 11, 2018 9:26 am Aquilini on the state of the Canucks:

- It isn't going to be easy but we have to be realistic. There are no short cuts in this game and right now it is about building a core with this club and wanting to win together.

- Patience is not easy. But, we have to work with what we have. I think we have a great talent pool of young players. I think we were rated second in The Athletic for our prospect pool.

- We have a great coach and the pieces in place but, all we can ask for out of this team is to be entertaining to watch. If we are I am content because I know very soon we are going to be very, very good.
Sounds like he's very happy with GM Jim Benning.

Over to you Blob...
Just curious though... Aqua is now saying all the right things, so why the fuck did he fire Linden over his desire for continuing a patient rebuild?
The Best GD Canucks Hockey Talk Forum in the World... With Only 18 People!
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Strangelove »

Hank wrote: Thu Oct 11, 2018 10:51 am Just curious though... Aqua is now saying all the right things, so why the fuck did he fire Linden over his desire for continuing a patient rebuild?
Rumour was fake news...
____
Try to focus on someday.
Richardstroker69
MVP
MVP

Post by Richardstroker69 »

Hank wrote: Thu Oct 11, 2018 10:51 am
Strangelove wrote: Thu Oct 11, 2018 9:52 am
SKYO wrote: Thu Oct 11, 2018 9:26 am Aquilini on the state of the Canucks:

- It isn't going to be easy but we have to be realistic. There are no short cuts in this game and right now it is about building a core with this club and wanting to win together.

- Patience is not easy. But, we have to work with what we have. I think we have a great talent pool of young players. I think we were rated second in The Athletic for our prospect pool.

- We have a great coach and the pieces in place but, all we can ask for out of this team is to be entertaining to watch. If we are I am content because I know very soon we are going to be very, very good.
Sounds like he's very happy with GM Jim Benning.

Over to you Blob...
Just curious though... Aqua is now saying all the right things, so why the fuck did he fire Linden over his desire for continuing a patient rebuild?
Linden is a bit of a snake. Remember when he was nhlpa
Carl Yagro
MVP
MVP

Post by Carl Yagro »

So what was real newz, Doc?

It's good to hear the owner say something realistic, but c'mon, who's actually buying this BS?

Richard, they are ALL snakes. Linden and cohorts Cassius'd Caesar Goodenow but, in hindsight, could the status quo go on? Would the league be better off without a cap-system? Remember Bobby Holik getting 9M a year in free-agency? That would be like 25M in today's dollars.

That whole Ted Saskin thing? Yeah, the optics were terrible.

I don't know if true or not, but Linden's rep with the league likely did some good to smooth out the damage Gillis and Aqua did to the franchise with their reps and arrogance.

Oh well, it is what it is.
The Best GD Canucks Hockey Talk Forum in the World... With Only 18 People!
Diehard1
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Diehard1 »

Blob Mckenzie wrote: Thu Oct 11, 2018 9:54 am Lol what’s he gonna do? Throw him under the bus?

Typical fluff piece
Aquilini sure comes across as not the sharpest knife in the drawer - says 'you know' every second phrase and is definitely not comfortable with public speaking. Maybe he keeps Jimbo around so at least there's somebody in the organization who is worse at speaking than Franky is? ;)
Hockey Widow
CC Legend

Post by Hockey Widow »

Canucks announce that numbers 22 and 33 to be retired in a ceremony later this season.
The only HW the Canucks need
Mickey107
MVP
MVP

Post by Mickey107 »

Actually when Aquilini was on the radio this morning he said they would have something like a Sedin week next year some time.
Guess that means raising the numbers. Who knows. He was so nervous on air.

Rick Dhaliwal

@DhaliwalSports
Following Following @DhaliwalSports
More
Aquilini : We will retire Sedin twins jerseys next year in the 50h anniversary, we will do something very special. We have started to plan, it will be a week long celebration.

8:33 AM - 11 Oct 2018
"evolution"
Hockey Widow
CC Legend

Post by Hockey Widow »

micky107 wrote: Thu Oct 11, 2018 1:52 pm Actually when Aquilini was on the radio this morning he said they would have something like a Sedin week next year some time.
Guess that means raising the numbers. Who knows. He was so nervous on air.

Rick Dhaliwal

@DhaliwalSports
Following Following @DhaliwalSports
More
Aquilini : We will retire Sedin twins jerseys next year in the 50h anniversary, we will do something very special. We have started to plan, it will be a week long celebration.

8:33 AM - 11 Oct 2018

Yes, you are correct. “The jerseys retirements will be part of a week-long celebration, said Aquilini, with details revealed prior to next season so Canucks season ticket members, partners and fans can plan to be there.”

Gotta generate ticket sales. So we have the draft party, followed by a week long celebration of the twins.
The only HW the Canucks need
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Strangelove »

Hank wrote: Thu Oct 11, 2018 11:07 am
Strangelove wrote: Thu Oct 11, 2018 10:56 am
Hank wrote: Thu Oct 11, 2018 10:51 am Just curious though... Aqua is now saying all the right things, so why the fuck did he fire Linden over his desire for continuing a patient rebuild?
Rumour was fake news...
So what was real newz, Doc?
Well, if you recall, every scribe was pushing a different Linden rumour at the time.

Personally I liked this one:

'Linden forgot he was just a figurehead, was pushing too hard for for things GMJB/Aquas didn't like'

I heard from two different sources that problems started when Linden threatened to step down if forced to can Willie in 2016.

(I think Dan Murphy was one source) (GMJB/Aquas in theory later regretting listening to Linden on that one)

HW floated a rumour that Linden wanted to extend his buddy Edler 2-4 years... and that GMJB/Aquas disagreed.

(Jimmy wanted to have him waive or give him just one more year)

So I think it was maybe things like dat dere, Linden deciding he wanted to be a real prez, GMJB/Aquas tiring of him.

But yeah, no one knows for sure.

The rumour you seem to have accepted is the one where Linden was the patient one.

But since then, in the press, both Jimmy and Aquaman have expressed a lot of patience.

(and note no rushing of prospects going on)
____
Try to focus on someday.
ESQ
MVP
MVP

Post by ESQ »

Isn't the only "real news" about TL that he resigned?
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Strangelove »

ESQ wrote: Thu Oct 11, 2018 2:33 pm Isn't the only "real news" about TL that he resigned?
Yes, as I said, all of the above are just rumours...
____
Try to focus on someday.
Blob Mckenzie
MVP
MVP

Post by Blob Mckenzie »

ESQ wrote: Thu Oct 11, 2018 2:33 pm Isn't the only "real news" about TL that he resigned?
I think he got a good shove in the numbers before he resigned. Picture Frank Aquilini as Claude Lemieux and Trevor as a captain of a pro hockey team in front of thousands of fans. :(
Blob Mckenzie
MVP
MVP

Post by Blob Mckenzie »

Diehard1 wrote: Thu Oct 11, 2018 11:37 am

Typical fluff piece
Aquilini sure comes across as not the sharpest knife in the drawer - says 'you know' every second phrase and is definitely not comfortable with public speaking. Maybe he keeps Jimbo around so at least there's somebody in the organization who is worse at speaking than Franky is? ;)
Lol sounds like a Wally Buono interview.

Funny to compare these cats to interviews with Brian Burke or Mike Gillis. It’s like listening to Dennis Miller or Cassius Clay post boxing career with Parkinson’s setting in. :lol: