Canuck News and Notes - 2018-2019

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

Carlyee
CC 2nd Team All-Star

Re: Canuck News and Notes - 2018-2019

Post by Carlyee »

Hockey Widow wrote: Wed Oct 10, 2018 4:41 pm
Uncle dans leg wrote: Wed Oct 10, 2018 4:23 pm Hes never had an NHL slump til now. Its 3 games plus the preseason....hardly even enough time to worry yet...time to rip a fattie, grab a curb and gorge on extra cheesy nachos....to quote the great dogfart
My concern is this is his second season in a row where he showed up several steps behind where he needs to be.
No one on the human performance team has the fortitude to run his fat ass through a meltdown protocol either.

It actually pisses me off that a professional athlete can show up for work fat and slow.

Like shit man you have one job.
CrzyCanuck
CC Legend

Post by CrzyCanuck »

Carlyee wrote: Wed Oct 10, 2018 8:23 pm
Hockey Widow wrote: Wed Oct 10, 2018 4:41 pm
Uncle dans leg wrote: Wed Oct 10, 2018 4:23 pm Hes never had an NHL slump til now. Its 3 games plus the preseason....hardly even enough time to worry yet...time to rip a fattie, grab a curb and gorge on extra cheesy nachos....to quote the great dogfart
My concern is this is his second season in a row where he showed up several steps behind where he needs to be.
No one on the human performance team has the fortitude to run his fat ass through a meltdown protocol either.

It actually pisses me off that a professional athlete can show up for work fat and slow.

Let's hope the gene gets passed on to Matthew in Calgary and Brady in Ottawa :D :D :D

I'll give Brock the benefit of doubt. He didn't start training until July either after the injury. But his attitude on ice was pissing me off.. it's either his attitude or he's just been acting like a really fat kid who tries really hard to pick up his ball from the ground.
Hockey is Life, Nothing Else Matters
Cousin Strawberry
MVP
MVP

Post by Cousin Strawberry »

Are we just assuming he is out of shape or is there substance to this line of thinking? I remember hearing somewhere he was hard at it in the gym and added muscle mass. Hardly showing up out of shape if true

I didnt see the last game but the first 2 and preseason was showing me a lack of chemistry with Horvat and whoever else was there. He seemed to be waiting for others to dig out pucks and hes there to rip a shot but feeds aren't arriving. Less movement to get open maybe...could be coaching trying to have his set up for one timers even.
Last edited by Cousin Strawberry on Wed Oct 10, 2018 8:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
If you need air...call it in
rats19
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by rats19 »

Uncle dans leg wrote: Wed Oct 10, 2018 8:42 pm Are we just assuming he is out of shape or is there substance to this line of thinking? I remember hearing somewhere he was hard at it in the gym and added muscle mass. Hardly showing up out of shape if true
Adding mass does shit for wind....
Silence intelligence so stupid isn’t offended….
Cousin Strawberry
MVP
MVP

rats19 wrote: Wed Oct 10, 2018 8:45 pm
Adding mass does shit for wind....
I dunno...the bigger the shit locker gets the better ripper sharts you can make
Mickey107
MVP
MVP

Post by Mickey107 »

Carlyee wrote: Wed Oct 10, 2018 8:23 pm

Hey; Shit man, I'm sure Greener and his human performance "team" are all over it. :bang:

"evolution"
Hockey Widow
CC Legend

Post by Hockey Widow »

I think it’s a young persons lack of knowledges on proper off ice conditioning. He’s never had to work hard off ice. Now I think he needs to learn how. He strikes me as professional enough that he will recognize it, or have it drilled into him, and he will learn. Like Virtanen. Like Hutton. Like Trymankin. Some guys just don’t know the how. It’s not that they are lazy, they just need off ice coaching. He made the mistake a lot of kids make. Put on the muscle but don’t work on overall conditioning. He also seems carefree, lad back, and, well, dense at times. Same shit Green hates in Hutton. And yes he gets a partial pass because he’s coming off two injuries.

But really, were where the Canucks in all of this? What help/advice/direction did they provide to him over the summer?
The only HW the Canucks need
CrzyCanuck
CC Legend

Post by CrzyCanuck »

Hockey Widow wrote: Thu Oct 11, 2018 1:37 am I think it’s a young persons lack of knowledges on proper off ice conditioning. He’s never had to work hard off ice. Now I think he needs to learn how. He strikes me as professional enough that he will recognize it, or have it drilled into him, and he will learn. Like Virtanen. Like Hutton. Like Trymankin. Some guys just don’t know the how. It’s not that they are lazy, they just need off ice coaching. He made the mistake a lot of kids make. Put on the muscle but don’t work on overall conditioning. He also seems carefree, lad back, and, well, dense at times. Same shit Green hates in Hutton. And yes he gets a partial pass because he’s coming off two injuries.

But really, were where the Canucks in all of this? What help/advice/direction did they provide to him over the summer?
Yeah. You would think that the team should be on close monitoring and support with the best young player on the team during a rehab off-season, es(before Elias arrived). Maybe the team was supervising it, but if it was, whoever was in charge needs to be fired

And by the way, isn't 10 lbs of muscle within 3 months too fast and too much?
Hockey is Life, Nothing Else Matters
Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

Post by Chef Boi RD »

It seems to be a common mistake with some of the young kids, entering the NHL. Try to remember what you were like at that age, me I was drinking, bonging, dropping, snorting like a madman then. Discipline? What the fuck was that? They learn, eventually. Wisdom they call it.
“Tyler Myers is my guy... I was taking to Scotty Bowman last night and he was bringing up his name, and saying he’s a big guy and big guy need big minutes to play, he is playing great for ya… and I agree with him… He’s been exceptional” - Bruce Boudreau
Ronning's Ghost
MVP
MVP

Post by Ronning's Ghost »

CrzyCanuck wrote: Thu Oct 11, 2018 4:40 am And by the way, isn't 10 lbs of muscle within 3 months too fast and too much?
I would have said so, but others might disagree. DHA ?

Speaking of Canucks hockey players adding muscle, did we ever hear at what weight Pettersson reported to training camp ?
Carlyee
CC 2nd Team All-Star

Post by Carlyee »

CrzyCanuck wrote: Thu Oct 11, 2018 4:40 am
Hockey Widow wrote: Thu Oct 11, 2018 1:37 am I think it’s a young persons lack of knowledges on proper off ice conditioning. He’s never had to work hard off ice. Now I think he needs to learn how. He strikes me as professional enough that he will recognize it, or have it drilled into him, and he will learn. Like Virtanen. Like Hutton. Like Trymankin. Some guys just don’t know the how. It’s not that they are lazy, they just need off ice coaching. He made the mistake a lot of kids make. Put on the muscle but don’t work on overall conditioning. He also seems carefree, lad back, and, well, dense at times. Same shit Green hates in Hutton. And yes he gets a partial pass because he’s coming off two injuries.

Yeah. You would think that the team should be on close monitoring and support with the best young player on the team during a rehab off-season, es(before Elias arrived). Maybe the team was supervising it, but if it was, whoever was in charge needs to be fired

And by the way, isn't 10 lbs of muscle within 3 months too fast and too much?
Depends. If he added 10lbs of lean mass while training for explosiveness and anaerobic conditioning then no a professional athlete will be fine.

OTOH if you go the traditional bulking route, like lift for 3+ hours a day and your peri workout nutrition consists of McDonalds just to get your calories in 10lbs of muscle will likely come with 15lbs of fat. And other than being stronger there is really no marked improvement in sport specific athletic performance.

Remember when Takahashi told us all we could see Kyle Wellwood's abs so he was in good shape?

https://www.t-nation.com/training/traps-are-the-new-abs

LOL
Blob Mckenzie
MVP
MVP

Post by Blob Mckenzie »

RoyalDude wrote: Thu Oct 11, 2018 6:47 am It seems to be a common mistake with some of the young kids, entering the NHL. Try to remember what you were like at that age, me I was drinking, bonging, dropping, snorting like a madman then. Discipline? What the fuck was that? They learn, eventually. Wisdom they call it.
Lol what’s changed?
“I don’t care what you and some other poster were talking about”
SKYO
MVP
MVP

Post by SKYO »

Aquilini on the state of the Canucks:

- It isn't going to be easy but we have to be realistic. There are no short cuts in this game and right now it is about building a core with this club and wanting to win together.

- Patience is not easy. But, we have to work with what we have. I think we have a great talent pool of young players. I think we were rated second in The Athletic for our prospect pool.

- We have a great coach and the pieces in place but, all we can ask for out of this team is to be entertaining to watch. If we are I am content because I know very soon we are going to be very, very good.
Can the Canucks just win a Cup within the next 5 years.
Cousin Strawberry
MVP
MVP

Blob Mckenzie wrote: Thu Oct 11, 2018 7:44 am
RoyalDude wrote: Thu Oct 11, 2018 6:47 am It seems to be a common mistake with some of the young kids, entering the NHL. Try to remember what you were like at that age, me I was drinking, bonging, dropping, snorting like a madman then. Discipline? What the fuck was that? They learn, eventually. Wisdom they call it.
Lol what’s changed?
Hahaha
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Strangelove »

SKYO wrote: Thu Oct 11, 2018 9:26 am Aquilini on the state of the Canucks:

- It isn't going to be easy but we have to be realistic. There are no short cuts in this game and right now it is about building a core with this club and wanting to win together.

- Patience is not easy. But, we have to work with what we have. I think we have a great talent pool of young players. I think we were rated second in The Athletic for our prospect pool.

- We have a great coach and the pieces in place but, all we can ask for out of this team is to be entertaining to watch. If we are I am content because I know very soon we are going to be very, very good.
Sounds like he's very happy with GM Jim Benning.

Over to you Blob...
____
Try to focus on someday.