Boston Red Sox vs. New York Yankees

The primary goal of this site is to provide mature, meaningful discussion about the Vancouver Canucks. However, we all need a break some time so this forum is basically for anything off-topic, off the wall, or to just get something off your chest! This forum is named after poster Creeper, who passed away in July of 2011 and was a long time member of the Canucks message board community.

Moderator: Referees

The winner is....

Boston
83%
New York
17%

Total votes: 12

jchockey
MVP
MVP

Boston Red Sox vs. New York Yankees

Post by jchockey »

wooo!!!!!! i know there's not many baseball fans, but the boston-new york rivalry is a must-see!!!

game 1 is tomorrow at yankee stadium on sportsnet, with schilling for the sox and mussina on the mound. yankees slugger jason giambi is out of the lineup, and bernie williams replaces speedy kenny lofton at centre field.

starting pitchers:
boston: schilling, martinez, arroyo, wakefield
new york: mussina, brown, vazquez, hernandez, loaiza
edge: tie. new york's rotation is shaky, but when they have their 'A' game on, no team can match them. schilling and martinez however, provides a 1-2 punch. wakefiled's knuckler isn't the most reliable pitch either.

relieving pitchers:
boston: embree, lowe, myers, timlin
new york: quantrill, sturtze, lieber, gordon
edge: new york. boston has had trouble keeping leads, and the yankees lead the league in come-back wins

closer:
boston: foulke
new york: rivera
edge: new york. foulke is useless until he's comfortable with a big lead, while rivera is the league's best closer.

hitting:
boston: damon, bellhorn, ramirez, ortiz, nixon, millar, varitek, cabrera, mueller
new york; jeter, rodriguez, sheffield, matsui, williams, posada, sierra, olerud, cairo
edge: tie. depends on which field the game is played on. righty ramirez and lefty ortiz gives boston strong bats, but new york has batters 1-9 that can hit homers. boston's bottom rotation has the edge over new york's bottom rotation.

fielding:
tie. rodriguez and jeter are the best at their position, but boston has a deep roster and a strong outfield. however, asides from damon, no other sox is really a base-stealing threat.

prediction: sox in 6..... because i said so. :D

anyone else watching the series?
Jovorock
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Jovorock »

My second hated team is the Red Sox, my first is the Yankees.

But if I had to put money on it I would take the Yankees in 6!

Yankees have too much bat power, while the Sox have better pictching, it will be a good one.
Keep your friends and your enemies very close
You never know when you might have to stab one
of them in the back!
Madcombinepilot
MVP
MVP

Post by Madcombinepilot »

whats this 'baseball' thing you guys are talking about??!?
The 'Chain of Command' is the chain I am going to beat you with until you understand I am in charge.
Blob Mckenzie
MVP
MVP

Post by Blob Mckenzie »

My heart says pick the Yankees.
My head says pick the Sox even though I loathe them more than any other team in any other sport. .

Have to go with the heart in this one and I'll do the same in the NL where I'm picking the Astros.

It would be kind of cool to see Clemens shove it up the asses of the entire state of Massachusettes though. That's one reason why it wouldn't be a total loss if the Sox make it to the big show.
jchockey
MVP
MVP

Post by jchockey »

oh boy oh boy
hideki matsui makes schilling shut up, boston puts in an effort, but still loses 10-7.
game 2 features pedro martinez vs. streaky kevin brown.
jchockey
MVP
MVP

Post by jchockey »

WOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!

curt schiling kept his promise and shut the yankees up, going seven strong and having only one run scored.
nypd were in riot gear after 2 reversed calls on orlando cabrera and alex rodriguez.
this marks the first time in mlb history a team has tied up a series after a 3-0 deficit.
the only time a team has come from behind to win a series 4-3 after a 3-0 deficit were in the nhl: the 1942 finals toronto over detroit and 1975 nyi over pitts in the quarterfinals.
pitching probables: bos: wakefield, martinez nyy: vazquez, brown

who's pumped!?!?!?!?!!?!?
PlayoffVan
AHL Prospect

Post by PlayoffVan »

WOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!

curt schiling kept his promise and shut the yankees up, going seven strong and having only one run scored.
nypd were in riot gear after 2 reversed calls on orlando cabrera and alex rodriguez.
this marks the first time in mlb history a team has tied up a series after a 3-0 deficit.
the only time a team has come from behind to win a series 4-3 after a 3-0 deficit were in the nhl: the 1942 finals toronto over detroit and 1975 nyi over pitts in the quarterfinals.
pitching probables: bos: wakefield, martinez nyy: vazquez, brown

who's pumped!?!?!?!?!!?!?
WHOOO! GO SOX GO!

Hockey can go F itself for now.... (ask me in a couple weeks)

Schilling with a heroic night. Tomorrow night will be crazy.. this may be one of the best series in the history of the game. An instant classic at the very least..

I try to remain optimistic for Game 7, but there's the ever-present sense of dread. I have felt this many times before... Sox fans and Canucks fans have this in common. :D
Jovorock
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Jovorock »

Schilling was incredible last night, one of the best pitching performances I have ever seen. Total GUTCHECK time, he was injured and he sucked it up and kicked ASS.

Game seven tonite will be a great one.
of them in the back!
Blob Mckenzie
MVP
MVP

Post by Blob Mckenzie »

I think it's scheduled as Lowe vs. Brown, but in a game 7 if either starter gets pounded Wakefield or Arroyo could come in for the Sox, while the Yanks could get some innings from El Duque or Vasquez. I thinks the Yanks are a bit fresher in the pen, but their offence had better wake up if they are to advacne. Part of me wants the Sox to win even though i ahte them so much. I'd like nothing better than to see them have a remarkable comeback only to fall short once again in the World Series..........hopefully against the guy they booted out of town so classlessly: Roger Clemens. :)
jchockey
MVP
MVP

Post by jchockey »

WOOOOOOOOOOoo

boston blows out yankees!
world series, here we come!!!

johnny damon was amazing, hitting 2 homers with 6 rbi after goin 2-39 in the series.... talk about clutch.
PlayoffVan
AHL Prospect

Post by PlayoffVan »

GO SOX

best..comeback..ever

But still 4 wins away... (although if you ask many Sox fans, this may be just as good)
Jovorock
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Jovorock »

What a come back, too bad game 7 wasn't that good.

Oh well go Cards go!
of them in the back!
Blob Mckenzie
MVP
MVP

Post by Blob Mckenzie »

Worst chokejob ever by the Yankees. George is going to go apeshit. :lol: Oh well I'll enjoy it that much more watching either the Astros or the Cards beat the scumbag Red Sox in the World Series. If any franchise or set of fans deserve to be tortured like that it's definitely Boston . :lol: They've earned every bit of it. :twisted: Red Sox fans make Leaf fnas look like angels. :P
PlayoffVan
AHL Prospect

Post by PlayoffVan »

Blob Mckenzie wrote:Worst chokejob ever by the Yankees. George is going to go apeshit. :lol: Oh well I'll enjoy it that much more watching either the Astros or the Cards beat the scumbag Red Sox in the World Series. If any franchise or set of fans deserve to be tortured like that it's definitely Boston . :lol: They've earned every bit of it. :twisted: Red Sox fans make Leaf fnas look like angels. :P
I'd like to know how you formulated this opinion from, I'm guessing here, the other side of the continent.

Its always telling when someone makes blanket statements, makes you wonder who the scumbag really is :roll:
jchockey
MVP
MVP

Post by jchockey »