Canucks camp & preseason 2018/2019

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

Richardstroker69
MVP
MVP

Re: Canucks camp & preseason 2018/2019

Post by Richardstroker69 »

ESQ wrote: Sat Sep 15, 2018 11:43 am I found this PITB article interesting.

I don't know why it hadn't occurred to me all summer, but acquiring PKers was a good move. Even though Eriksson excels on the PK, I truly believe he will have much more value (to the Canucks and as a possible trade asset) if his PK time is reduced and he gets on the PP. For Horvat, while he's improving as a PKer and that's a great skill for him to develop as future-captain, I'd like to see him in a reduced PK role.
I agree both horvat and eriksson should play final shift or no shifts on the pk, eriksson needs to get back into his garbage spot on the pp either 1 or 2.
Blob Mckenzie
MVP
MVP

Post by Blob Mckenzie »

You need six pk forwards

Sutter
Beaglet
Schaller
Roussel

Then two of Baertschi, Horvat, Eriksson or Virtanen have to round out that group of six. Gagner can’t kill penalties neither will Brock or Petterson. Goldobin isn’t going to do it. Granlund and Gaunce are in tough to make the team and they aren’t good penalty killers either.

I’d like Jake to get some steady minutes killing penalties this season. He won’t see the PP so may as well bump his minutes up a bit on the pk.
“I don’t care what you and some other poster were talking about”
Mickey107
MVP
MVP

Post by Mickey107 »

Blob Mckenzie wrote: Sat Sep 15, 2018 1:36 pm You need six pk forwards

Sutter
Beaglet
Schaller
Roussel

Then two of Baertschi, Horvat, Eriksson or Virtanen have to round out that group of six. Gagner can’t kill penalties neither will Brock or Petterson. Goldobin isn’t going to do it. Granlund and Gaunce are in tough to make the team and they aren’t good penalty killers either.

I’d like Jake to get some steady minutes killing penalties this season. He won’t see the PP so may as well bump his minutes up a bit on the pk.
Never really seen Jake block shots much but his speed from A to B is good so he could make passing difficult and high risk for the PP team.
Not to mention a good chance for a shorty or 8.
"evolution"
Mickey107
MVP
MVP

Post by Mickey107 »

"evolution"
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Strangelove »

Sutter
Beaglet
Schaller
Roussel

I think Gaunce is a decent penalty killer.

Yeah Jake might make a decent one, and I also hope he sees more icetime, but I'd rather it was on PP #2.

What about Gaudette, didn't he kill penalties in college?

He plays a 200' game and is very good positionally... and his skating seems vastly improved this year.

Lipstick might also have what it takes, who knows?
____
Try to focus on someday.
ESQ
MVP
MVP

Post by ESQ »

Sutter
Beaglet
Schaller
Roussel

True enough, but I'd like to see Bo and Loui at 1:30 shtoi/gp, instead of 2:30+. Bo was in that neighborhood last season, but Loui was one of the top pk forwards.
Madcombinepilot
MVP
MVP

Post by Madcombinepilot »

RoyalDude wrote: Sat Sep 15, 2018 8:04 am Benning would be doing the empty seats at Rogers Arena a massive favour by getting rid of the oh so exciting crowd pleaser tweeners like Gagner and Granlund and inserting what the fans want - the Gaudettes and Dahlins but that’s not how they roll

Why would Benning simply gift players a spot in the NHL?? How is that going to make people happy for more than a game or 2?? If the kids aren't ready to outplay your tweeners, they won't develop and they will simply get squashed during an 82 game grind.

If rookies outplay the tweeners, Benning will dump tweeners. But it will not help,this club at all to rush kids to the NHL if they can't outplay those tweeners.

That's why I like the acquisitions of Beagle and Rousell.. they are better tweeners.
The 'Chain of Command' is the chain I am going to beat you with until you understand I am in charge.
dangler
MVP
MVP

Post by dangler »

Madcombinepilot wrote: Sun Sep 16, 2018 7:05 am
RoyalDude wrote: Sat Sep 15, 2018 8:04 am Benning would be doing the empty seats at Rogers Arena a massive favour by getting rid of the oh so exciting crowd pleaser tweeners like Gagner and Granlund and inserting what the fans want - the Gaudettes and Dahlins but that’s not how they roll

Why would Benning simply gift players a spot in the NHL?? How is that going to make people happy for more than a game or 2?? If the kids aren't ready to outplay your tweeners, they won't develop and they will simply get squashed during an 82 game grind.

If rookies outplay the tweeners, Benning will dump tweeners. But it will not help,this club at all to rush kids to the NHL if they can't outplay those tweeners.

That's why I like the acquisitions of Beagle and Rousell.. they are better tweeners.
I think they learned their lesson with Virtanen & McCann. Earn your icetime,it's been repeated by all the players,so you know that's how Greene has told them its gonna be.
Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

Post by Chef Boi RD »

Underrated players who get no love:

Sautner
Gaunce
“Tyler Myers is my guy... I was taking to Scotty Bowman last night and he was bringing up his name, and saying he’s a big guy and big guy need big minutes to play, he is playing great for ya… and I agree with him… He’s been exceptional” - Bruce Boudreau
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Strangelove »

RoyalDude wrote: Sun Sep 16, 2018 10:28 am Underrated players who get no love:

Sautner
Gaunce
I agree but they would probably slide through waivers at the end of camp if needs-be.
____
Try to focus on someday.
Tciso
MVP
MVP

Post by Tciso »

dangler wrote: Sun Sep 16, 2018 8:28 am I think they learned their lesson with Virtanen & McCann. Earn your icetime,it's been repeated by all the players,so you know that's how Greene has told them its gonna be.
The biggest thing learned from 2015/16 with McCann and JV is that you need to have better players than Cracknell, Etem, Prust, a broken Chris Higgins and Vey as the guys to beat out for ice time.

Our bottom 6 this year is light years better than that mess was, and a lot better than it was the past 2 years as well.**

**Disclaimer. If Gaunce is in our bottom 6 this year, then I retract that statement.
The Cup is soooooo ours!!!!!!!
Blob Mckenzie
MVP
MVP

Post by Blob Mckenzie »

Tciso wrote: Sun Sep 16, 2018 12:41 pm
dangler wrote: Sun Sep 16, 2018 8:28 am I think they learned their lesson with Virtanen & McCann. Earn your icetime,it's been repeated by all the players,so you know that's how Greene has told them its gonna be.
The biggest thing learned from 2015/16 with McCann and JV is that you need to have better players than Cracknell, Etem, Prust, a broken Chris Higgins and Vey as the guys to beat out for ice time.

Our bottom 6 this year is light years better than that mess was, and a lot better than it was the past 2 years as well.**

**Disclaimer. If Gaunce is in our bottom 6 this year, then I retract that statement.
Gaunce is no worse a player than Granlund or Goldobin for that matter
“I don’t care what you and some other poster were talking about”
SKYO
MVP
MVP

Post by SKYO »

Goldy and Pettersson showing instant chemistry.
Can the Canucks just win a Cup within the next 5 years.
Mickey107
MVP
MVP

Post by Mickey107 »

Lots of stuff. I love just taking whatever.
https://twitter.com/hashtag/CanucksCamp ... 5535218688
"evolution"
Tciso
MVP
MVP

Post by Tciso »

Blob Mckenzie wrote: Sun Sep 16, 2018 1:01 pm
Tciso wrote:

Gaunce is no worse a player than Granlund or Goldobin for that matter
Blob, you are gonna have a hard time erasing that comment from the internet.

While Granlund and Goldobin are not yet full time NHL'ers, and may never be, Gaunce has this big hole in his game called a complete lack of offense. The last guy we had who was worse offensively was Jason Struwick.
The Cup is soooooo ours!!!!!!!