Canucks camp & preseason 2018/2019

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

Madcombinepilot
MVP
MVP

Re: Canucks camp & preseason 2018/2019

Post by Madcombinepilot » Thu Sep 13, 2018 4:34 pm

I don’t see more than 1 rookie make the team out of camp. Pettersson should make it (I hope so, for the Calder race) but might not.

In reality, I think what happens, is Benning and Green evaluate the team and we do trades from now to December. If guys like Dahlen, Gaudette, joulevi, etcget 55-60 games this year and we trade Gagner, MDZ, Hutton, Grandlund, Nilsson, perhaps Edler/Tanev etc for 4 or 5 draft picks, develop the young guys while phasing our the mid level veterans, I’ll be happy... plus it gives us 12 to 14 picks going into draft.. 😄
The 'Chain of Command' is the chain I am going to beat you with until you understand I am in charge.

Blob Mckenzie
CC Legend

Post by Blob Mckenzie » Thu Sep 13, 2018 8:08 pm

It can’t be so cut and dried. Half the guys you rattled off have little to no value. If a kid outplays them in pre season, waive them if you can’t trade them. Obviously Tanev and Edler don’t fall into this category
TRY TO FOCUS ON HOW MY ASS TASTES IN ONE YEAR

Hockey Widow
CC Legend

Post by Hockey Widow » Thu Sep 13, 2018 10:34 pm

I think there is a lot of hope that the young guys earn a spot but none of them are a lock, not by a country mile. There is no harm in parking all of them in Utica to start the season.

The Canucks can then weed out and thin out the vets and mid 20 guys, slowly integrating the kids as the season progresses. The return for the vets almost doesn’t matter at this point. The team is chomping at the bit to add picks in any round for the next draft so they can hype and spin that draft to drum up ticket sales for the following year. There is a marketing plan.

That said, Benning has waived players every year so he’s not afraid to lose players for nothing if someone earns a spot.

I’m in the camp that wants to see the kids stay and play but, just from an entertainment perspective because it’s more exciting to watch. It sounds like the club is on that same page too. A lot of hope and excitement but they need to be realistic. You can destroy kids by having them play in the NHL too soon whereas an extra year in the minors never hurt anyone.

And I’d honestly like Goldobin, Virtanen, Leipsic, Hutton, Granlund, Baertshi and Stetcher to have another shot, for some a legitimate shot, for others perhaps a last shot. Play the heck out of those seven and see if they can take the next step. Those 20 something’s need to play now. The older vets you pretty much know already their upside so finding a role, or a door, will be easier. I also think those seven have trade value. No 1st rounders for sure but 2nds and 3rds.

As an aside, Anaheim is saying it will be hard to find a role for Ritchie this season, a numbers game.
The only HW the Canucks need

Madcombinepilot
MVP
MVP

Post by Madcombinepilot » Thu Sep 13, 2018 10:35 pm

I think it is pretty cut and dried...

Most of those guys like granlund and Gagner are worth a 4th, perhaps a 3rd (with contracts, versatility) to the right team.
We ship a couple of these guys early, ease a couple rookies into the lineup, have a couple,more rookies play for injury call ups (does anyone really think we are not going to suffer injuries again??) and a couple guys get 20-30 games at the end of the year after TDD..

I am not saying we are getting top round picks for these guys, I am saying we are getting 3/4 or even 5th round picks..

But those 2-4 round picks are where JB seems to be finding value these days, and I have no problem him getting more quantity (or at least trying to get some quantity) for these guys.
The 'Chain of Command' is the chain I am going to beat you with until you understand I am in charge.

Per
CC Legend

Post by Per » Fri Sep 14, 2018 12:51 am

Hey, I want games! I want results! I want footage!

How long do I need to wait? :|
Whatever you do, always give 100 %!
Except when donating blood.

Uncle dans leg
CC Legend

Post by Uncle dans leg » Fri Sep 14, 2018 7:51 am

Read the blurb just now about Hutton having a good off season training with Claude Geroux. Sounds like he's coming into camp in much better shape.

So what do we have there? Is he the 6 assist flop from last year or the promising young puck mover from the year before? It would be a helluva time for him to find his game I'd say...
nobody forks...with the jesus

Tciso
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Tciso » Fri Sep 14, 2018 9:14 am

Hockey Widow wrote:
Thu Sep 13, 2018 10:34 pm

And I’d honestly like Goldobin, Virtanen, Leipsic, Hutton, Granlund, Baertshi and Stetcher to have another shot, for some a legitimate shot, for others perhaps a last shot. Play the heck out of those seven and see if they can take the next step.
I agree 100% Wids. We have a lot invested in each one of those 7, and all have shown a lot of promise. They need to play the heck out of those 7, and Pouliot too. Make 'em or break 'em.

Speaking of Break 'em, the only reason to play Erickson, Sutter or Gagne in the pre-season is increase their odds of getting injured, and opening up a roster spot for someone else, or for another team to <ahem> scout them.
The Cup is soooooo ours!!!!!!!

5thhorseman
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by 5thhorseman » Fri Sep 14, 2018 9:46 am

Tciso wrote:
Fri Sep 14, 2018 9:14 am
Speaking of Break 'em, the only reason to play Erickson, Sutter or Gagne in the pre-season is increase their odds of getting injured ..
:D :lol: :twisted:

Cherry Picker
CC 1st Team All-Star

Post by Cherry Picker » Fri Sep 14, 2018 10:19 am

Don't know why Sutter is grouped with Gagner and Eriksson.
One of these things is not like the other. I'd keep Sutter. Not like the Canucks have cap issues.
We are all Jim Benning.

Hockey Widow
CC Legend

Post by Hockey Widow » Fri Sep 14, 2018 11:40 am

Cherry Picker wrote:
Fri Sep 14, 2018 10:19 am
Don't know why Sutter is grouped with Gagner and Eriksson.
One of these things is not like the other. I'd keep Sutter. Not like the Canucks have cap issues.

Agreed. Sutter is a good player and fits with this team. Some say slightly overpaid but so what. He was brought in for bottom six but can play 2nd line if needed. Not a great long term solution for us but buys time. He can flip to the wing as needed. He’s good on F/O and a good PKer. He’s not a problem on this roster. A serviceable guy.

Gagne is an reclamation experiment overpaid and over termed. I don’t doubt he can add to the roster but not convinced he’s an upgrade on our roster. He takes a spot away for sure.

Ericksson is an enigma. Never liked the signing, dollar or term. Would be great if we could move him but the return will be underwhelming. We don’t have cap problems right now so he may just buy time, half a season or so, for development if needed.
The only HW the Canucks need

SKYO
CC Legend

Post by SKYO » Fri Sep 14, 2018 11:48 am

Barring health Eriksson will rebound, being the lone vet up front now (with the Sedins and Vanek gone) he'll relish playing with all the youthful and zestful energy abound.
A long time ago, a baseball player remarked: "If I owned a ballclub, I'd hire a $5,000 coach and a $15,000 scout."

Cornuck
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Cornuck » Fri Sep 14, 2018 11:58 am

SKYO wrote:
Fri Sep 14, 2018 11:48 am
Barring health Eriksson will rebound, being the lone vet up front now (with the Sedins and Vanek gone) he'll relish playing with all the youthful and zestful energy abound.
I love your optimism, but what are you basing this on?
2018-19 - The Road to 82

Hank
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Hank » Fri Sep 14, 2018 12:02 pm

Cornuck wrote:
Fri Sep 14, 2018 11:58 am
SKYO wrote:
Hallucinogens :mrgreen:

(Kidding, SKYO)
Try to focus on 1 year from now...

Blob Mckenzie
CC Legend

Post by Blob Mckenzie » Fri Sep 14, 2018 12:11 pm

Cornuck wrote:
Fri Sep 14, 2018 11:58 am
SKYO wrote:
He’s free basing
TRY TO FOCUS ON HOW MY ASS TASTES IN ONE YEAR

SKYO
CC Legend

Post by SKYO » Fri Sep 14, 2018 12:23 pm

Cornuck setting me up for the Hanks and Blobs lol.
A long time ago, a baseball player remarked: "If I owned a ballclub, I'd hire a $5,000 coach and a $15,000 scout."