What to do with Hughes

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

If you were calling the shots on where Hughes starts this season

Poll ended at Tue Jul 17, 2018 7:35 pm

Make room for Hughes on the roster
72%
Let him start on the farm and bring him up after some seasoning
10%
Send him back for another year in college
17%

Total votes: 29

Mickey107
MVP
MVP

Re: What to do with Hughes

Post by Mickey107 »

Todd Bersnoozi wrote: Sun Sep 02, 2018 12:22 am
Hockey Widow wrote: Sat Sep 01, 2018 8:35 pm Trymankin and Stetcher made a good pairing. Just saying.
I actually thought about a Hughes-Tryamkin pairing. *hehe*
In both cases, "line of sight" would'n't be a problem.

hehe
"evolution"
SKYO
MVP
MVP

Post by SKYO »

Strangelove wrote: Sat Sep 01, 2018 9:26 pm
SKYO wrote: Sat Sep 01, 2018 12:19 am I think Tryamkin would serve better if he was paired with a Russian dman, why I might be an advocate for trading Tanev for Zeitsev, with picks evening it out.
OMG ROFLMAO Zaitsev is horrible!
Defensively he sucks yes, but he did score over 35 points, he and Trymakin would be master move.
Can the Canucks just win a Cup within the next 5 years.
Topper
CC Legend

Post by Topper »

This WJC has been my first chance to watch Q. Hughes.

He looks all world, confident minute eating, every shift he looks ready to go end to end and score.

Then he gets the puck, he wheels through open ice. In the offensive zone he pivots and spins with the puck in either direction to get away from checks. He looks bored at times that none of his team mates are as smart or good as he is.

It is all incredible to watch.

Three things I haven't seen him do are;

1) Play defence.
2) Play along the boards.
3) Put up points.

The Swedes pressured him and he resorted to lil' trojan soft short passes to team mates who were also checked. He coughed up the puck and never recovered. He is never the first defender back making the play, he is, at times, the second one back in support. Two secondary assists in three games.

An over abundance of style, needs work on the substance, but seeing his talent, he could explode at anytime and has to scare the bejeebes out of opponents.
Over the Internet, you can pretend to be anyone or anything.

I'm amazed that so many people choose to be complete twats.
Cousin Strawberry
MVP
MVP

Post by Cousin Strawberry »

Nhl coaches will have a tough time getting him to fit within a system. He plays a hybrid style and absolutely will require a defensively conscious partner and probably the same from his centers to cover for him.

He will dominate on the powerplay i imagine but the lacl of points is curious for sure. Is it just inadequate team mates?
If you need air...call it in
Lancer
CC Legend

Post by Lancer »

Maybe they give him the Eriksson treatment and let him freewheel while leaning him into two-way responsibility.
Love the Sport. Love the Team.

Hate the League.
Hockey Widow
CC Legend

Post by Hockey Widow »

From what I’ve seen in the world juniors, let him play a second year in the NCAA. If his D picks up he can sign early, half way through his second season as Toews did. Otherwise let him play out year two then sign him when his second season is done. He has the potential to be a game changer on the back end but he needs to work on D.
The only HW the Canucks need
Blob Mckenzie
MVP
MVP

Post by Blob Mckenzie »

Hughes is IN his second season of college hockey. You let him return for season 3, maybe he sees where Jack lands and plays out his senior year after that and signs there. He’d only be foregoing one more year without being paid and he’d have his degree.

Toews played two full years of college hockey then he signed with the Hawks. He didn’t bail on UND halfway through a season as far as I know
“I don’t care what you and some other poster were talking about”
Hockey Widow
CC Legend

Post by Hockey Widow »

Blob Mckenzie wrote: Mon Dec 31, 2018 5:41 pm Hughes is IN his second season of college hockey. You let him return for season 3, maybe he sees where Jack lands and plays out his senior year after that and signs there. He’d only be foregoing one more year without being paid and he’d have his degree.

Toews played two full years of college hockey then he signed with the Hawks. He didn’t bail on UND halfway through a season as far as I know
Right on all accounts Blob!! For some reason I thought this was Hughes first year in the NCAA. Given it’s his second, ya get him signed.
The only HW the Canucks need
Blob Mckenzie
MVP
MVP

Post by Blob Mckenzie »

:hmmm:
Hockey Widow wrote: Mon Dec 31, 2018 6:42 pm
Blob Mckenzie wrote: Mon Dec 31, 2018 5:41 pm Hughes is IN his second season of college hockey. You let him return for season 3, maybe he sees where Jack lands and plays out his senior year after that and signs there. He’d only be foregoing one more year without being paid and he’d have his degree.

Right on all accounts Blob!! For some reason I thought this was Hughes first year in the NCAA. Given it’s his second, ya get him signed.
I don’t love them chewing a year of his ELC but if he goes to year 3, then he likely has a taste in his mouth similar to Dude on Sunday morning at Oppenheimer Park.

I think the Hawks were thinking of getting Toews inked st that time but they ran out of time so to speak :lol: He ended up starting the following season in Chicago
Rumsfeld
CC Legend

Post by Rumsfeld »

Blob still fighting the good fight, the man is relentless*

*On a fried chicken sandwich
Chairman of the Jim Benning Appreciation Society
Cousin Strawberry
MVP
MVP

Whats a fried chicken sandwich?
Rumsfeld
CC Legend

Post by Rumsfeld »

Where's Island Nucklehead, did he kill himself from arguing with incels?
Cousin Strawberry
MVP
MVP

Hes around less since he cant fit through doors anymore. I hear hes topping 7'9" now and drives one of those camper vans with the upside down boat for a roof
Rumsfeld
CC Legend

Post by Rumsfeld »

:lol: Is he on the Mëds Diet? That guy's 6'10 and travels 1000 miles a week to fulfill his season ticket obligations.
Blob Mckenzie
MVP
MVP

Post by Blob Mckenzie »

Runny !!!