Trevor Linden is stepping down in VAN

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

Blob Mckenzie
MVP
MVP

Re: Trevor Linden is stepping down in VAN

Post by Blob Mckenzie »

Point 4 is interesting Berry Picker. I think it’s been widely reported that Trevor went to bat for Elmer six months ago. Can’t see their relationship falling apart that badly since then
“I don’t care what you and some other poster were talking about”
Topper
CC Legend

Post by Topper »

Over the Internet, you can pretend to be anyone or anything.

I'm amazed that so many people choose to be complete twats.
ukcanuck
MVP
MVP

Post by ukcanuck »

Topper wrote: Thu Jul 26, 2018 6:41 am Oh Happy Day!

http://www.canuckscorner.com/forums/vie ... 30#p309730

Trust Topper.
C’mon Tops expand on this will’ya, enquiring minds wanna know !
Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

Post by Chef Boi RD »

Thanks to 3 silver spooned rich kids The Canucks are a GM/President graveyard. Nonis refuses to trade futures for vets Richards/Jokinen...fired! Gillis wants to do a full rebuild...fired! Linden wants to stay on the rebuild path, the Aquas say the rebuild is over....fired! We are screwed with meddling, spoiled brat as owners. In the mean time, the rich kids are still looking for their “Yes Man”.
“Tyler Myers is my guy... I was taking to Scotty Bowman last night and he was bringing up his name, and saying he’s a big guy and big guy need big minutes to play, he is playing great for ya… and I agree with him… He’s been exceptional” - Bruce Boudreau
Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

Post by Chef Boi RD »

Island Nucklehead wrote: Wed Jul 25, 2018 5:06 pm Curious to know why. It never seemed like a great hire. Always such a cliché to bring the former fan favourite back to run things. A little bit sad in Vancouver’s case, because (despite a good run), it’s not like he led the Canucks to fantastic heights as a player. “Nice guy, tries hard” and all that...

Can’t see Benning taking that role, way too much public diplomacy involved. Maybe they go the Tampa Bay route and bring in someone else’s HHoF former player. Go out and get Chris Pronger to do what Shanahan did in TO.
Shanahan approached T.O ownership and proposed a full tank rebuild. They accepted. The Aquas have never loved the idea of a “full gut” rebuild, as noted with the firings. It explains all the messy veteran signings and trading picks for vets, too appease the brats. Tough place to work with bosses like that

At the end of the day always felt Linden wasn’t cut out for the job.
“Tyler Myers is my guy... I was taking to Scotty Bowman last night and he was bringing up his name, and saying he’s a big guy and big guy need big minutes to play, he is playing great for ya… and I agree with him… He’s been exceptional” - Bruce Boudreau
Blob Mckenzie
MVP
MVP

Post by Blob Mckenzie »

RoyalDude wrote: Thu Jul 26, 2018 6:54 am Thanks to 3 silver spooned rich kids The Canucks are a GM/President graveyard. Nonis refuses to trade futures for vets Richards/Jokinen...fired! Gillis wants to do a full rebuild...fired! Linden wants to stay on the rebuild path, the Aquas say the rebuild is over....fired! We are screwed with meddling, spoiled brat as owners. In the mean time, the rich kids are still looking for their “Yes Man”.
Yeah other than spending to the cap these asshole greaseballs might be the leagues worst owners
“I don’t care what you and some other poster were talking about”
2Fingers
MVP
MVP

Post by 2Fingers »

RoyalDude wrote: Thu Jul 26, 2018 6:54 am Thanks to 3 silver spooned rich kids The Canucks are a GM/President graveyard. Nonis refuses to trade futures for vets Richards/Jokinen...fired! Gillis wants to do a full rebuild...fired! Linden wants to stay on the rebuild path, the Aquas say the rebuild is over....fired! We are screwed with meddling, spoiled brat as owners. In the mean time, the rich kids are still looking for their “Yes Man”.
I like the new RD, agree 100%.

Seems the fans will be getting what they want, a constant lottery team.

We will see in the next 12 months if we truly have a meddling owners, indicators will be:

- trading futures/picks for 28 - 32 year old players
- FA signings for $6M - $7M max years allowed

In 2020/21 season sure but they just better stay the course. If Aqua wants fans in the seats then get the young guys out there, work with Green to play them properly to develop. The biggest problem with the Aquas is that they are impatient and assume they know more than the experts. But I will give them credit for spending the money, that is not an issue.
ukcanuck
MVP
MVP

Post by ukcanuck »

Blob Mckenzie wrote: Thu Jul 26, 2018 7:11 am
Yeah other than spending to the cap these asshole greaseballs might be the leagues worst owners
Linden couldn’t do the job or aqualini sucks can’t be both.

I’m still not sure which one think it is.

But I’ve never bought into this idea that the Canucks were pursuing a light rebuild over a full rebuild. What does that mean anyway?
2012 when it became clear the team as it was, wasn’t good enough. All the key pieces were locked into NTCs - you know the story.
What was any GM going to do?

Any way moving forward, I seriously hope they aren’t pursuing some huge trade involving the prospects they finally have. Nor am I interested in trading what should be another high first or second.

The only card to play is to get the prospects into the line up sooner rather than later ... or not.
Cousin Strawberry
MVP
MVP

Post by Cousin Strawberry »

Ive been chewing on this one for a day while i languish on my harem cushions blowing thought rings...

More uncertainty for team turmoil. Its been a rough 6 years or so for the canucks and they were just starting to show a little patience and consistency. I am not much of a fan of Linden in a figurehead role but yet another upper management move stinks of rot.

If they try to shortcut the rebuild now after finally drafting some promising top end prospects then there will be empty seats and paper bags available in bulk.

Worried where this is going
If you need air...call it in
Island Nucklehead
MVP
MVP

Post by Island Nucklehead »

RoyalDude wrote: Thu Jul 26, 2018 7:08 am Shanahan approached T.O ownership and proposed a full tank rebuild. They accepted. The Aquas have never loved the idea of a “full gut” rebuild, as noted with the firings. It explains all the messy veteran signings and trading picks for vets, too appease the brats. Tough place to work with bosses like that
I meant it more along the lines of an established NHL HHoF player with credibility in the hockey world that might be able to walk into the owners box and tell them what they need to hear. Tampa Bay used to have the worst ownership and one of the worst reputations in hockey, new owner Vinik arrives on the scene, poaches Yzerman, and now they seem to be doing alright.

Overall though, I agree, super-fans often make for terrible owners.
Island Nucklehead
MVP
MVP

Post by Island Nucklehead »

ukcanuck wrote: Thu Jul 26, 2018 8:04 am
Linden couldn’t do the job or aqualini sucks can’t be both.
It can't? Why not?
Mickey107
MVP
MVP

Post by Mickey107 »

Micks not going to portray anything melodramatic.
I think it may be so simple, it doesn't make good print.

Trevor has too many other interests, or so it would seem to the brothers.
In other words, a tiff over time and energy.
So they both just say fuck-it and that's it, over.

Of note; Damn, Trev is looking old. He looks older than me.
Aquilini wants more time, Linden doesn't have it.
"evolution"
Cousin Strawberry
MVP
MVP

Post by Cousin Strawberry »

micky107 wrote: Thu Jul 26, 2018 9:07 am He looks older than me.
Is that the sherry talking?
If you need air...call it in
Cornuck
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Cornuck »

RoyalDude wrote: Thu Jul 26, 2018 7:08 am Shanahan approached T.O ownership and proposed a full tank rebuild. They accepted. The Aquas have never loved the idea of a “full gut” rebuild, as noted with the firings. It explains all the messy veteran signings and trading picks for vets, too appease the brats. Tough place to work with bosses like that
The difference being, is that Toronto will sell out regardless of the product on the ice.
Doc: "BTW, Donny was right, you're smug."
UWSaint
MVP
MVP

Post by UWSaint »

Rocky Dennis wrote: Wed Jul 25, 2018 9:52 pm Whatever your critique/opinion/feelings about Linden are, I see this as nothing but bad news that further confirms this ownership group as a meddling one...an extremely meddling one.
I think of a meddling ownership as one who becomes involved in detail decisions. Don't put so and so in the press box would be the ultimate meddling; go out and get this player is meddling.

To not meddle, you trust your Prez of Hockey Ops But you provide them general direction: our priority is to fill the seats; our priority is to be competitive now; etc. If they aren't fulfilling your priorities, you get a new one. If you change your mind about your priorities (which is your prerogative as the owner, though isn't effective if the positions are in constant flux) and your Prez can't adjust or won't take the new priorities, you get a new one. If they exercise poor supervision of the GM, you get a new one. And if those micro-decisions (benching a player) ultimately led to those poor results, it isn't meddling to fire the people who benched the wrong players or acquired the wrong players or dealt the wrong players.

Firing or retaining the Prez of Hockey Ops is the power that owners rightfully possess and exercise and they do so without meddling. The ability to hire and fire is why they don't have to meddle in player-level or staff-level employment decisions -- I don't need to tell you what to do, because if you do it poorly, you are fired.

Of course, the Prez of Hockey Ops isn't (or shouldn't be) making all of those micro-decisions (the ones that, as fans,we care the most about). Benching players is the coach's job -- the GM (and possibly GM and Prez. depending on organizational structure) hold the coach responsible. Acquiring players is the GM's job; the Prez of Hockey Ops. holds the GM responsible. And the owner/board of directors holds the Prez responsible.

The best ownership is one that provides a clear direction of priorities and evaluates the President on meeting those performances. The best ownership does not meddle, but it absolutely holds executive management accountable for results. And from the fan's perspective, the best ownership opens the wallet.

None of this to to say that the Canucks have the best ownership -- I don't know whether they've been clear in their expectations, I don't know how deeply they get involved in detailed player acquisition decisions best left to the GM in consult with the Prez.

But would it surprise anyone to learn that they had expectations from Linden when they hired him and those expectations haven't been achieved?
Hono_rary Canadian