FIFA World Cup 2018

The primary goal of this site is to provide mature, meaningful discussion about the Vancouver Canucks. However, we all need a break some time so this forum is basically for anything off-topic, off the wall, or to just get something off your chest! This forum is named after poster Creeper, who passed away in July of 2011 and was a long time member of the Canucks message board community.

Moderator: Referees

2Fingers
MVP
MVP

Re: FIFA World Cup 2018

Post by 2Fingers »

Topper wrote: Sat Jul 07, 2018 2:42 pm I have a feeling Reef's interest and knowledge of football is the same as his interest and knowledge of Canuck's hockey.

still looking for the 53 yard line
I see your sobered up from last night.
Topper
CC Legend

Post by Topper »

Reefer2 wrote: Sat Jul 07, 2018 3:51 pm
Topper wrote: Sat Jul 07, 2018 2:42 pm I have a feeling Reef's interest and knowledge of football is the same as his interest and knowledge of Canuck's hockey.

Where did you see me last night?

Do you dream about me reef?

Am I really that far into your skull?
Over the Internet, you can pretend to be anyone or anything.

I'm amazed that so many people choose to be complete twats.
2Fingers
MVP
MVP

Post by 2Fingers »

Topper wrote: Sat Jul 07, 2018 4:40 pm
Reefer2 wrote: Sat Jul 07, 2018 3:51 pm

Where did you see me last night?

Do you dream about me reef?

Am I really that far into your skull?
Nah just that you can actually type and see so I assumed you sobered up, but then drunk or sober you are always a dick.
Per
MVP
MVP

Post by Per »

The moral final today; France vs Belgium.
The two best teams of the tournament square off in the first semifinal.
The winner tonight will almost certainly win gold.

The English team is a smarter team, and more of a team, then they usually send, but despite this, I don't think they have what it takes to beat either of the francophone teams. They might have a shot at beating Croatia though and reach the final.
Whatever you do, always give 100 %!
Except when donating blood.
rockalt
MVP
MVP

Post by rockalt »

Per wrote: Tue Jul 10, 2018 11:43 am The moral final today; France vs Belgium.
The two best teams of the tournament square off in the first semifinal.
The winner tonight will almost certainly win gold.

The English team is a smarter team, and more of a team, then they usually send, but despite this, I don't think they have what it takes to beat either of the francophone teams. They might have a shot at beating Croatia though and reach the final.
Indeed that felt like the real final. Tough break for Belgium. They have been top class throughout this tournament and you don't get too many shots like that.

The game had moments of brilliance but was otherwise quite dull considering the quality of players in the pitch. The French defence was virtually impenetrable today, especially in the second half.

I don't want to jinx the final as anything can happen but France look pretty dominant at this stage.
Carl Yagro
MVP
MVP

Post by Carl Yagro »

Buh-bye England.

France vs. Croatia in the Finals.
The Best GD Canucks Hockey Talk Forum in the World... With Only 18 People!
SKYO
MVP
MVP

Post by SKYO »

Let's go Petr Nedved!
Can the Canucks just win a Cup within the next 5 years.
Puck
MVP
MVP

Post by Puck »

SKYO wrote: Wed Jul 11, 2018 3:13 pm Let's go Petr Nedved!
Um....
Let's go Joe Sakic?

Full credit to Modric and company - from about minute 40 on, Croatia were the much better team. England, however, had a solid tournament and there's no under-achieving to complain about. In fact, there should be continued optimism, as it's a young group.

France held-off the potent Belgian attack. It will be interesting to see if Croatia have the energy and creativity to score, especially after having gone three games in a row to 120 mins.

It's been quite a Spring-Summer for Lovren, Modric (CRO) and Varane (FRA): the UEFA Champions League Final and the World Cup Final in less than 2 months...
rockalt
MVP
MVP

Post by rockalt »

Puck wrote: Thu Jul 12, 2018 11:54 am
France held-off the potent Belgian attack. It will be interesting to see if Croatia have the energy and creativity to score, especially after having gone three games in a row to 120 mins.

It's been quite a Spring-Summer for Lovren, Modric (CRO) and Varane (FRA): the UEFA Champions League Final and the World Cup Final in less than 2 months...
Don't question the Croatians' energy levels! Apparently it motivates them!

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/44804874

Personally I think it's a little pissy to get so worked up about people questioning your energy levels after playing back to back estra time games. Talk about thin skin! :lol:

And yes indeed quite the summer for all 3 of those players!

I'll say the game ends 3-0 France.
Per
MVP
MVP

Post by Per »

The French are worthy champions.
Mbappé also became only the second teenager ever to score a goal in a World Cup Final.
The other one is of course Pelé, who scored two goals as Brazil beat Sweden in the 1958 final.

Kudos to Croatia, who had a great tournament!
This tiny nation of merely 4.2 million people keeps churning out great players. And on the way to the final they eliminated Russia and England. They earned bronze in 1998. Should we expect gold in 2038?

The golden generation of Belgium did not go all the way, but they earned their country's first ever World Cup medeals, which is no small feat. Congratulations!

A young and energetic English team came in fourth. I like what Southgate has done to the team, and I think they may shine at the next Euro when they have two more years of experience.

I think Sweden did better than expected. Even qualifying to this tournament is tough, and to do it we had to climb over the Netherlands and Italy. We beat Mexico and Korea in the group play and advanced at the expense of Germany. We then beat the Swiss who were ranked 6th in the world by FIFA, before losing to England in the quarter final. All this with a team that lacked any superstars. It was all team effort and heart. Of course it'd been great to go further, but all things considered, they did well.

Oh well, four years till Qatar. Can't wait!
Whatever you do, always give 100 %!
Except when donating blood.