FIFA World Cup 2018

The primary goal of this site is to provide mature, meaningful discussion about the Vancouver Canucks. However, we all need a break some time so this forum is basically for anything off-topic, off the wall, or to just get something off your chest! This forum is named after poster Creeper, who passed away in July of 2011 and was a long time member of the Canucks message board community.

Moderator: Referees

Per
MVP
MVP

Re: FIFA World Cup 2018

Post by Per »

Reefer2 wrote: Tue Jul 03, 2018 3:10 pm England through but not a very good game.
We're preparing for Brexit on Saturday! :drink:
Whatever you do, always give 100 %!
Except when donating blood.
rockalt
MVP
MVP

Post by rockalt »

Per wrote: Tue Jul 03, 2018 10:30 pm
Reefer2 wrote: Tue Jul 03, 2018 3:10 pm England through but not a very good game.
We're preparing for Brexit on Saturday! :drink:
:lol:

Well you better hope my prediction comes true! (I previously said England would sneak by Colombia only to lose to Sweden... mostly because English fans seemed most concerned with Colombia)

I get my citizenship tomorrow so I'm informed that I'm obligated to support England now but I'm somewhat indifferent. I want them to do well but I'm not gonna root for them over my teams.

Saturday should be interesting. Obviously most will have the English as favourites but I don't really see it. Sweden have been excellent not only in this World Cup but also in the qualifiers. They will be a tough out and have as good a chance as anyone to make it to the final. I would have pegged Croatia as the favourite but they did not look great in the Denmark game. The only team I can't see in the final from that bracket is Russia.

Having said all that I think there's a good chance of a weak final. I would choose any of Uruguay, France, Belgium or Brazil over any team in the bottom bracket. But I'm probably wrong as this World Cup has been filled with drama and surprises.
2Fingers
MVP
MVP

Post by 2Fingers »

After the last game I cannot see how England will win. I just did not see the game control to show why they would win against Sweden.

England looked nervous and the constant back passing was something from the 80's, there was not as many crisp passes. If they can change their game and take control then maybe.
Per
MVP
MVP

Post by Per »

rockalt wrote: Wed Jul 04, 2018 3:21 pm I would choose any of Uruguay, France, Belgium or Brazil over any team in the bottom bracket. But I'm probably wrong as this World Cup has been filled with drama and surprises.
Well, I would agree with you. Looking at the FIFA ranking, which surely is in no way perfect, but still, Brazil is ranked second in the world, Belgium third and iirc France is seventh. Uruguay is the worst team in this bracket, and they are ranked 14th.

The only team in the other bracket ranked above Uruguay is England, at twelvth place. Croatia is ranked 20th, Sweden 24th and Russia 70th! :o

Thanks to a number of surprising upsets, it is clear that a team that is really just considered half decent will reach the final, since the lower bracket does not contain a single team considered to be among the top ten in the world. And yet here they are - within the group of just eight teams still standing.

I actually like Sweden's chances.

To get here, we were first in the same qualification group as France, the Netherlands, Bulgaria, Belarus and Luxembourg. We lost 2-1 to France in Paris, but beat them with the same numbers at home. We only got a draw and a loss against the Netherlands, but they lost both their games against France, so we still ended up ahead of them, in second place.

We then faced another runner-up, Italy (rank 19). A draw and a win and they were gone, and we had qualified!

We then got an unfairly bad seed, and ended up in the same group as Germany, Mexico and South Korea.
I figured we probably couldn't beat Germany, who were ranked #1 by FIFA, but on a good day we can tie, which we almost did, They scored the winning goal five minutes into injury time. :(
I also thought we could take Mexico (rank 15) and Korea, and that's what we did.

We then faced Switzerland (6th according to FIFA) and beat them.
In other words, we fought an uphill battle to get here, and morale is high and soaring.

England, meanwhile, had a much easier qualification group (Slovakia, Scotland, Slovenia, Lithuania, Malta... ) and also an easier group at the World Cup. They've only faced two tough opponents on their road here; Belgium and Colombia. They lost to Belgium and barely squeaked by against Colombia. I'm not impressed.

And having played all those crap teams leading up to this game, means they are cocky and bound to underestimate us.
Pat Nevin said on BBC that England will beat Sweden 99 times out of 100. Great! Let them believe that! :lol:

The Actual statistics are different. Sweden and England have squared off 14 times since 1986.
Seven draws, five wins for Sweden and two for England.

But we like to be the underdog.
Let them believe they will beat us 99 times out of 100.
That suits us perfectly. :twisted:
Last edited by Per on Thu Jul 05, 2018 2:00 am, edited 2 times in total.
2Fingers
MVP
MVP

Post by 2Fingers »

I’m rooting for England but believe Sweden will take it.
rockalt
MVP
MVP

Post by rockalt »

Per wrote: Wed Jul 04, 2018 5:05 pm I actually like Sweden's chances.
I agree with you.

I hadn't seen England play before the last game so it's difficult to gauge how they actually play but nothing from that game indicates to me that they should be the favourite among the 4 in their bracket to advance. They are young yes but I don't see any Kylian Mbappes in that lineup! I trust that they can play better (as it was more a war of attrition than anything else) but regardless they are a notch or two below the remaining heavyweights. Belgium, France and Brazil have looked uninspired at times but are loaded with enough skill to take over a game. Meanwhile Uruguay just has enough to win the whole thing if they play within their limits.... unless Cavani is out which reports indicate. They can least afford to lose a player like that.

Sweden by comparison has played extremely well in challenging environments as you so rightly point out. I think they're the most capable of the 4 in their bracket to actually win the whole thing. I still think the winner is coming from the top bracket but I could see Sweden pulling off the major upset. Croatia, England and Russia? Not so much.

I hope at the very least that the England and Sweden game is entertaining. The buzz here has been electric but I'm avoiding the crowds of 'It's coming home!' folks. They have come out in full force now that England has a modicum of a chance! :lol:
Carl Yagro
MVP
MVP

Post by Carl Yagro »

Oh, I LOVE this world cup! Most of the arrogant powers of football either never made it in or are now out.

Those floppy Brazilian floppers and Oscar nominated actors fall to Belgium 2-1.

Parity is beautiful.

Go Team Ikea!
The Best GD Canucks Hockey Talk Forum in the World... With Only 18 People!
2Fingers
MVP
MVP

Post by 2Fingers »

Hank wrote: Fri Jul 06, 2018 2:30 pm Oh, I LOVE this world cup! Most of the arrogant powers of football either never made it in or are now out.

Parity is beautiful.

Go Team Ikea!
Agreed Hank, love it.

I’m excited tomorrow about England but it depends on which team shows up.
rockalt
MVP
MVP

Post by rockalt »

Hank wrote: Fri Jul 06, 2018 2:30 pm Oh, I LOVE this world cup! Most of the arrogant powers of football either never made it in or are now out.

Parity is beautiful.

Go Team Ikea!

I know there have been some shock upsets and many people have been clamouring about the gap closing but I don't see it that way.

France was widely considered one of the favourites to win the whole thing (most pundits had the 4 favourites as Brazil, Germany, France and Spain). There were questions about their coach and teamwork but on paper they are arguably the most talented team in the tournament.

To a casual observer Belgium beating Brazil is a huge upset because of the storied history of Brazil but this is Belgium's golden generation. It's still an upset there is no doubt about that but it's minor if best.

Croatia likewise has a golden generation. Like Belgium they have underperformed at these tournaments but were a dark horse to win.

The only true underdogs that don't belong at this stage are Russia (by far the worst team left) and Sweden (plucky defenders). I would include England too but many felt the quarterfinals were a realistic target and they have the cache as a big name.

But yes you're right, it's a pretty awesome World Cup and most of the heavyweights have been eliminated much earlier than you would expect. If France win, I think it will be a pretty ho-hum result but any other will be a pretty big deal.
rockalt
MVP
MVP

Post by rockalt »

Parity is beautiful.

Go Team Ikea!

I know there have been some shock upsets and many people have been clamouring about the gap closing but I don't see it that way.

France was widely considered one of the favourites to win the whole thing (most pundits had the 4 favourites as Brazil, Germany, France and Spain). There were questions about their coach and teamwork but on paper they are arguably the most talented team in the tournament.

To a casual observer Belgium beating Brazil is a huge upset because of the storied history of Brazil but this is Belgium's golden generation. It's still an upset there is no doubt about that but it's minor if best.

Croatia likewise has a golden generation. Like Belgium they have underperformed at these tournaments but were a dark horse to win.

The only true underdogs that don't belong at this stage are Russia (by far the worst team left) and Sweden (plucky defenders). I would include England too but many felt the quarterfinals were a realistic target and they have the cache as a big name.

But yes you're right, it's a pretty awesome World Cup and most of the heavyweights have been eliminated much earlier than you would expect. If France win, I think it will be a pretty ho-hum result but any other will be a pretty big deal.
Per
MVP
MVP

Post by Per »

Seems we couldn't find the right allen key to disassemble the English defence...

England was the better team. Too bad we couldn't get a goal though.
There were a couple of great chances, but Pickford made the necessary saves.
2Fingers
MVP
MVP

Post by 2Fingers »

Per wrote: Sat Jul 07, 2018 8:59 am Seems we couldn't find the right allen key to disassemble the English defence...

England was the better team. Too bad we couldn't get a goal though.
There were a couple of great chances, but Pickford made the necessary saves.
Was surprised at how England play, more attack than I thought. Still hate when they would pass back all the way to their goalie and too nonchalant IMO.

Now everyone go for Croatia.
Carl Yagro
MVP
MVP

Post by Carl Yagro »

Oh well, Jolly Old England does it.

TBH, I've never been fond of overrated English football nor their fans. Reminds me of leaves Nation. Arrogant and thought too highly of themselves on the world stage even though they've been bad for a long time.

Even purging of the vets to play the young ones remind me of those Leaves. At least the football side has been quieter going into the tournament. But I'm sure their Tuna-like fans are coming out in droves now.
The Best GD Canucks Hockey Talk Forum in the World... With Only 18 People!
2Fingers
MVP
MVP

Post by 2Fingers »

4 European teams left.

France should win, but this year that means nothing.

England/Croatia are more even and can go either way.

Most of the divers are gone so theatrics.
Topper
CC Legend

Post by Topper »

I have a feeling Reef's interest and knowledge of football is the same as his interest and knowledge of Canuck's hockey.

still looking for the 53 yard line
Over the Internet, you can pretend to be anyone or anything.

I'm amazed that so many people choose to be complete twats.