Free Agency 2018 & Everything Related

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

Hockey Widow
CC Legend

Re: Free Agency 2018 & Everything Related

Post by Hockey Widow »

Doesn’t Ericksson have a full NMC this season?

Players like Sutter, Ericksson and Gagne aren’t going anywhere. Not this year anyway. I mean if Benning gets a decent offer perhaps but all three are highly more valued by the team than most fans. Benning is chomping at the bit to get his draftees into the lineup and he may rush Pettersson and Hughes but other than that he hasn’t really talked about the others in terms of being on the team this fall. Always in context of Utica and earning their way to the Canucks.

As much as we are ready to watch the kids I think they stick to their developmental model. The fact that they are looking at 3-4 year contracts for FAs should tell us something.

After the 2018-19 season Sutter has 2 more years. Ericksson 3 and Gagne one. Anyone they sign this year will have, by the sounds of it, 2-3 years left.

Edler and MDZ will be FA. Tanev will have, what, 1-2 years. It’s shapping up that they think they will be ready to compete in about 3 years.

My point to this ramble, I don’t think we will see them purge the vets this year but rather add. I don’t want to tank but I hope by the end of January we are clearly in or out of the playoff mix. If out, clearly out so Benning can seriously think about moving players for picks. That would be a good time to call players up from Utica too.
The only HW the Canucks need
Cherry Picker
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Cherry Picker »

According to CapFriendly, Eriksson has a NTC this coming season. His NMC ended at the end of last season, so he could be sent to Utica if the Canucks decide to. I doubt anyone would claim him off waivers.
We are all Snidely Whiplash.
Hockey Widow
CC Legend

Post by Hockey Widow »

Cherry Picker wrote: Fri Jun 29, 2018 9:03 pm According to CapFriendly, Eriksson has a NTC this coming season. His NMC ended at the end of last season, so he could be sent to Utica if the Canucks decide to. I doubt anyone would claim him off waivers.
Thanks. They can use the threat of waiving him to get him to agree to a trade but I doubt they would actually waive him. With the twins gone I think Green will lean on him more. Heck, with the twins gone Green May have to coach now.
Hockey Widow
CC Legend

Post by Hockey Widow »

Doughty agrees to 8 year, roughly 11 per with Kings. Contract can't be signed until July 1.
Blob Mckenzie
MVP
MVP

Post by Blob Mckenzie »

RoyalDude wrote: Fri Jun 29, 2018 6:32 pm I became a massive Roussel fan after he annihilated Blobbee’s Boi - Zack Coke-assian in a tilt.
Proof?
“I don’t care what you and some other poster were talking about”
Blob Mckenzie
MVP
MVP

Post by Blob Mckenzie »

RoyalDude wrote: Fri Jun 29, 2018 6:36 pm Canucks have a serious glut of forwards to deal with unless they plan on boring the shit out of the fan base by cooking the kids in Utica and having us enjoy the fine hockey of Granlund, Beagle, Roussel, Gagner, Sutter, Baertschi, Leipsic, Gaunce, Motte, Kerno, Archibald, Eriksson

That’ll keep the fan base tuned in
Lol you would be bored?

Yeah right

Up and down like a whores pants
Blob Mckenzie
MVP
MVP

Post by Blob Mckenzie »

Hockey Widow wrote: Fri Jun 29, 2018 8:41 pm Doesn’t Ericksson have a full NMC this season?

Players like Sutter, Ericksson and Gagne aren’t going anywhere. Not this year anyway. I mean if Benning gets a decent offer perhaps but all three are highly more valued by the team than most fans. Benning is chomping at the bit to get his draftees into the lineup and he may rush Pettersson and Hughes but other than that he hasn’t really talked about the others in terms of being on the team this fall. Always in context of Utica and earning their way to the Canucks.

As much as we are ready to watch the kids I think they stick to their developmental model. The fact that they are looking at 3-4 year contracts for FAs should tell us something.

After the 2018-19 season Sutter has 2 more years. Ericksson 3 and Gagne one. Anyone they sign this year will have, by the sounds of it, 2-3 years left.

Edler and MDZ will be FA. Tanev will have, what, 1-2 years. It’s shapping up that they think they will be ready to compete in about 3 years.

My point to this ramble, I don’t think we will see them purge the vets this year but rather add. I don’t want to tank but I hope by the end of January we are clearly in or out of the playoff mix. If out, clearly out so Benning can seriously think about moving players for picks. That would be a good time to call players up from Utica too.
Why are Eriksson and Gagner valued by management?

I guess I sort of understand why they value Sutter. He works hard and it isn’t his fault that he’s overpaid. The other two guys are fucking thieves, especially Louis. He should wear a ski mask and pack a gun on the ice.
Blob Mckenzie
MVP
MVP

Post by Blob Mckenzie »

Blob Mckenzie wrote: Fri Jun 29, 2018 11:18 pm
RoyalDude wrote: Fri Jun 29, 2018 6:32 pm I became a massive Roussel fan after he annihilated Blobbee’s Boi - Zack Coke-assian in a tilt.
Proof?
I saw they had one fight on dropyourgloves.com and Kassian worked him over pretty good. Maybe you are thinking of the fight you had with Rosie Rottencrotch outside the Astoria that night? You got worked over pretty good, perhaps she was Kassian and you were Rouselle....
Island Nucklehead
MVP
MVP

Post by Island Nucklehead »

Beagle would be a welcome addition to the bottom-six.

4 years at 3+ Million is too much for Roussel. But when you’re as soft as the Canucks, with prospects needing space to operate and some security, it’s probably worth paying a premium for bonafide NHLers with some size and grit.
Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

Post by Chef Boi RD »

Players who can play in today’s NHL (not hurt your line up), is gritty, tough and a decent scrapper is becoming a scarce commodity. Overpayment for their services is nothing new now.

Roussel is in the drivers seat, which is unfortunate for teams looking for that type of player
“Tyler Myers is my guy... I was taking to Scotty Bowman last night and he was bringing up his name, and saying he’s a big guy and big guy need big minutes to play, he is playing great for ya… and I agree with him… He’s been exceptional” - Bruce Boudreau
Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

Post by Chef Boi RD »

Blob Mckenzie wrote: Sat Jun 30, 2018 2:07 am
Proof?
I saw they had one fight on dropyourgloves.com and Kassian worked him over pretty good. Maybe you are thinking of the fight you had with Rosie Rottencrotch outside the Astoria that night? You got worked over pretty good, perhaps she was Kassian and you were Rouselle....
You’re out to lunch as usual

Remember how mad you’d get at Giggles for his placement of the Cokehead in the lineup?
“Tyler Myers is my guy... I was taking to Scotty Bowman last night and he was bringing up his name, and saying he’s a big guy and big guy need big minutes to play, he is playing great for ya… and I agree with him… He’s been exceptional” - Bruce Boudreau
Blob Mckenzie
MVP
MVP

Post by Blob Mckenzie »

4 years is one too many. I don’t mind the 3 million. That’s basically just under league average for player salaries. Yes ai know the top players skew that and drag it up, but the ELCs and aging scrubs pull it back down.

I think Roussel is an average player. Thing is so are Eriksson, Sutter and Gudbranson who all make substantially more than 3 million. I’d say Dudbranson is probably below average.
Last edited by Blob Mckenzie on Sat Jun 30, 2018 7:24 am, edited 1 time in total.
Blob Mckenzie
MVP
MVP

Post by Blob Mckenzie »

RoyalDude wrote: Sat Jun 30, 2018 7:16 am
Proof?

Remember how mad you’d get at Giggles for his placement of the Cokehead in the lineup?
I’m out to lunch, yeah ok. You probably thought Dana Murzyn beat up Shane Corson as well. Kassian won the fight pretty handily. You know this and that’s why you changed the subject
Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

Post by Chef Boi RD »

Blob Mckenzie wrote: Sat Jun 30, 2018 7:23 am
RoyalDude wrote: Sat Jun 30, 2018 7:16 am
Proof?

I’m out to lunch, yeah ok. You probably thought Dana Murzyn beat up Shane Corson as well. Kassian won the fight pretty handily. You know this and that’s why you changed the subject
Not handidly. He should have due to the size difference but he didn’t. Kassian has always been an overrated fighter. To coked up.
Blob Mckenzie
MVP
MVP

Post by Blob Mckenzie »

But earlier you said Roussel anihilated Kassian.