Free Agency 2018 & Everything Related

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Re: Free Agency 2018 & Everything Related

Post by Strangelove »

micky107 wrote: Fri Jun 29, 2018 2:29 pm I realize we can really only banter on UFAs, but: Wonder WTF the Capitols are gonna do about Wilson?
They've got plenty of cap room to re-sign RFA Wilson.
____
Try to focus on someday.
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Strangelove »

Jovocop wrote: Fri Jun 29, 2018 1:09 pm Just one more important news from Rick Dhaliwal. I guess GMJB is gonna make sure nobody lays a hand on Boeser, Pettersson and Hughes. :mrgreen:
Rick Dhaliwal‏ @DhaliwalSports

Even if the #Canucks land Beagle, I am told they are not done adding grit.
Archibald?
____
Try to focus on someday.
Mickey107
MVP
MVP

Post by Mickey107 »

Strangelove wrote: Fri Jun 29, 2018 3:00 pm
micky107 wrote: Fri Jun 29, 2018 11:27 am I was laughed at quite some time ago when I said Tanev to TO for Nylander.
I said, didn't think it would take much more.
The part in red was the part everyone was laughing at.

(still laughing) :)
Don't laugh so hard your smoke falls out and burns roll # 4. :lol:
"evolution"
Mickey107
MVP
MVP

Post by Mickey107 »

Would not mind showing interest in Patrick Maroon, at least check it out.
"evolution"
Hockey Widow
CC Legend

Post by Hockey Widow »

I think Archibald is still in their plans but unless he gets a decent contract he’ll test free agency. Apparently a few teams showed interest in him so it will be interesting to see how that turns out.

It’s no surprise, nor secret, that the Canucks need to add grit. I don’t mind one to two year deals so hopefully nothing more than that.
The only HW the Canucks need
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Strangelove »

Rick Dhaliwal
@DhaliwalSports

Beagle update : #Canucks still in mix but price and term keeps going up and up because so many teams involved. Not done to Vancouver.

4:48 PM - 29 Jun 2018
____
Try to focus on someday.
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Strangelove »

Rick Dhaliwal
‏@DhaliwalSports

More Rick Dhaliwal Retweeted Elliotte Friedman

Roussel agent not answering phone, something is up.
4:37 PM - 29 Jun 2018
Elliotte Friedman
Verified account
@FriedgeHNIC
Couple other guys to keep an eye on: hearing COL with interest in Matt Calvert and VAN with Antoine Roussel
Rick Dhaliwal
‏@DhaliwalSports

I’m hearing Roussel with #Canucks could be a 4 year deal worth just a tad over 3 million dollars per season.

4:55 PM - 29 Jun 2018
____
Try to focus on someday.
Jovocop
CC Legend

Post by Jovocop »

Strangelove wrote: Fri Jun 29, 2018 5:16 pm
Rick Dhaliwal
‏@DhaliwalSports

More Rick Dhaliwal Retweeted Elliotte Friedman

Roussel agent not answering phone, something is up.
4:37 PM - 29 Jun 2018
Elliotte Friedman
Verified account
@FriedgeHNIC
Couple other guys to keep an eye on: hearing COL with interest in Matt Calvert and VAN with Antoine Roussel
Rick Dhaliwal
‏@DhaliwalSports

I’m hearing Roussel with #Canucks could be a 4 year deal worth just a tad over 3 million dollars per season.

4:55 PM - 29 Jun 2018
The Canucks need grit, both Roussel and Beagle fit the bill. Hopefully, the terms are shorter than 4 years.
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Strangelove »

Jovocop wrote: Fri Jun 29, 2018 5:36 pm The Canucks need grit, both Roussel and Beagle fit the bill. Hopefully, the terms are shorter than 4 years.
Yeah, more $$ for shorter term?

Interestingly both Roussel and Beagle are hard-working fitness nuts who stick up for teammates.

(even if they tend not to win a lot)
____
Try to focus on someday.
Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

Post by Chef Boi RD »

I became a massive Roussel fan after he annihilated Blobbee’s Boi - Zack Coke-assian in a tilt.
“Tyler Myers is my guy... I was taking to Scotty Bowman last night and he was bringing up his name, and saying he’s a big guy and big guy need big minutes to play, he is playing great for ya… and I agree with him… He’s been exceptional” - Bruce Boudreau
Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

Post by Chef Boi RD »

Canucks have a serious glut of forwards to deal with unless they plan on boring the shit out of the fan base by cooking the kids in Utica and having us enjoy the fine hockey of Granlund, Beagle, Roussel, Gagner, Sutter, Baertschi, Leipsic, Gaunce, Motte, Kerno, Archibald, Eriksson

That’ll keep the fan base tuned in
“Tyler Myers is my guy... I was taking to Scotty Bowman last night and he was bringing up his name, and saying he’s a big guy and big guy need big minutes to play, he is playing great for ya… and I agree with him… He’s been exceptional” - Bruce Boudreau
Cherry Picker
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Cherry Picker »

Four years is too much.
Bigger salary with less term. Three year max.
If it doesn’t work out sign Bieksa for a year to play wing on the bottom line for a million.
He’d protect the kids.
We are all Snidely Whiplash.
Cousin Strawberry
MVP
MVP

Post by Cousin Strawberry »

RoyalDude wrote: Fri Jun 29, 2018 6:32 pm I became a massive Roussel fan after he annihilated Blobbee’s Boi - Zack Coke-assian in a tilt.
If you mean this one i wouldnt exactly say he annihilated him lol

Hes pretty tough for sure though considering hes what...175 lbs
If you need air...call it in
Hockey Widow
CC Legend

Post by Hockey Widow »

To add the grit, to allow our small skilled guys to develop, and given the interest other teams are showing, 4 years maybe what it takes. As long as there is limited trade protection we can dump guys later if we need to.

But if we add both these guys that takes up the two roster spots vacated by the twins. Not much room left for Pettersson , Dahlin, Goldobin, Leipsic, Motte, Lind etc.

And they want to resign Archibald.

It’s clear we will be playing a lot of these kids in Utica, at least to start the year. By January we need to clear bodies out for picks, bring up the kids. Green will love him some vets.

I see the wisdom in letting the smaller kids bake in Utica but I don’t want to watch a team without them. It’s going to be a long season.
The only HW the Canucks need
Cherry Picker
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Cherry Picker »

Hockey Widow wrote: Fri Jun 29, 2018 7:30 pm To add the grit, to allow our small skilled guys to develop, and given the interest other teams are showing, 4 years maybe what it takes. As long as there is limited trade protection we can dump guys later if we need to.

But if we add both these guys that takes up the two roster spots vacated by the twins. Not much room left for Pettersson , Dahlin, Goldobin, Leipsic, Motte, Lind etc.

And they want to resign Archibald.

It’s clear we will be playing a lot of these kids in Utica, at least to start the year. By January we need to clear bodies out for picks, bring up the kids. Green will love him some vets.

I see the wisdom in letting the smaller kids bake in Utica but I don’t want to watch a team without them. It’s going to be a long season.
They have 13 signed that likely start with Vancouver this season. Not many up front that the Canucks really need to keep around for let’s say the next three years:

For sure:
Boeser
Pettersson
Horvat

Likely:
Virtanen
Baer

Anyone after this point should be on a short leash and should easily be waived for poor play or traded if their is a acceptable offer.

Maybe:
Leipsic
Goldobin
Granlund
Sutter
Eriksson

Probably not:
Gaunce
Motte

Not likely:
Gagner

So for each free agent brought in this summer one player will be moved out from the maybes, probably nots, and the not likelys.

If they sign Beagle and Reaves (or similar players) there is no great loss waiving or trading a Gagner or a Gaunce (or whoever they beat out for a job).

Having 15 forwards with contracts that have to clear waivers at training camp isn’t too many, because it allows for either a couple injuries and it forces every player to win a job. No one but the rookie Pettersson listed above has any excuse not to come to camp 100% ready to play in the NHL and show they deserve their job.They all have enough years of experience that they should be near fully developed. If Eriksson looks disinterested waive him to Utica. If Goldobin doesn’t want to back check, Bye Bye. There will be a number of Utica bound prospects challenging for jobs on the big club, so the time for the people listed above to develop is over.
We are all Snidely Whiplash.