Free Agency 2018 & Everything Related

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

Meds
MVP
MVP

Re: Free Agency 2018 & Everything Related

Post by Meds »

SKYO wrote: Wed Jun 27, 2018 3:27 pm I'd just sign Beagle 3 x $2.25M, maybe $2.5M per and be done with it, what the team is buying is reliability.

This way if Sutter gets injured Beagle can be the trusty reliable big 6'3-218lbs center, the whole point of having Sutter and Beagle is so the young centers up front can just solely concentrate on scoring, and less on being in the defensive zone - leave that hard work for Sutter and Beagle, plus they'll take the majority of the faceoffs along with Horvat.

Green liked to sometimes just put Sutter out there just for the faceoff and jump off.

With Sutter&Beagle here, that will help Horvat, Pettersson and Gaudette just focus more on scoring and learning their center position with sheltered minutes.
Beagle is outstanding in the faceoff circle. I would sign him and then trade Sutter.
Hockey Widow
CC Legend

Post by Hockey Widow »

Seems Pens clearing room was for Jack Johnston.

.@MarkMaddenX first reported that the Penguins intend to sign defenseman Jack Johnson Sunday to a five-year deal. Confirming that. Source says it will be in the $16 million range total (between $3-$3.5 million AAV).
12:31 PM - Jun 27, 2018
The only HW the Canucks need
Hockey Widow
CC Legend

Post by Hockey Widow »

Another rumour:

GM Paul Fenton is trying to attach Tyler Ennis‘ $4.6 million contract to one of Jason Zucker, Nino Niederreiter or Charlie Coyle in a trade so he doesn’t have to buy out Ennis.
Hockey Widow
CC Legend

Post by Hockey Widow »

DEVANTE Smith-PELLY signs 1 year, 1 million with Caps.
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Strangelove »

Tampa is one of the teams hot after Tavares (and JT is a good buddy of Stamkos)

... but they don't have the cap space.

So I'm thinking they've got a secondary trade lined up just in case.

A trade where they offload dumps Callahan and Coburn along with a nice sweetener.

Of course they'd have to get the dumps to waive...
____
Try to focus on someday.
Mickey107
MVP
MVP

Post by Mickey107 »

On the other thread, Mëds indicated interest in Mike Green.
I agree, this would be a great plan at this point in time.
Practically a playing coach on the powerplay and that will be critical this year.
There are no more talented brothers with ESP anymore for a coach to fall back on for a second unit.
The tremendous knowledge Mike Green has in this area would be valuable, no end.
"evolution"
Lancer
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Lancer »

I wonder if Vanek would want to come back for another season? I’m pretty sure he knew he was going to be trade deadline bait when he signed here last summer, so I don’t think there were any sour feelings when he was traded. Numerous reports of his value in the room - hell, even Green acknowledged the good advice Vanek gave him. We could do worse for a placeholder winger.

On the other hand, he may want some stability in terms of a 2-year deal vice a 1-year. Dunno how that might fit in Benning’s grand scheme. Likewise, I don’t think Benning would get much for him at the deadline given his track record in the playoffs, no matter how well he does next season.

Thoughts?
Love the Sport. Love the Team.

Hate the League.
theman
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by theman »

He said last season that he was willing to come back but would want a 2 year deal and with an agreement that he would not be traded for at least the first season. Like you said, he would want some stability.
Blob Mckenzie
MVP
MVP

Post by Blob Mckenzie »

You gotta see what you have in these young wingers.

Baerschi, Granlund, Lipstick and Goldy need to sink or swim
“I don’t care what you and some other poster were talking about”
Cherry Picker
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Cherry Picker »

I liked Vanek, but I doubt they bring in any wingers. They have too many that have to clear waivers. Pettersson starting on the wing takes up another slot. Unless they can upgrade dramatically, I think they will only sign one placeholder center, otherwise Leipsic and Goldobin won't get any chance. With Lind, Dahlen, Gadjovick, Jasek all in Utica looking for a shot, they likely have enough depth on wing. If Hughes signs they probably won't sign any free agent defensemen either. Just one center for the NHL team and maybe some cheap depth signings to play in Utica. It could be a slow day on Canada day. I actually won't be surprised if nobody is signed by the Canucks. All the decent centers might choose another team. Lots of teams are looking for centers.
We are all Snidely Whiplash.
Cousin Strawberry
MVP
MVP

Post by Cousin Strawberry »

I think theyll need at least 1 or 2 bottom 6 forwards with some grit, especially if they dress those scrawny teenagers. You cant have the Michael fuckin Ferklands of the league ruining your franchise assets
If you need air...call it in
theman
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by theman »

I thought I read that Reaves is an UFA, I can see him being signed by the Canucks. Probably a depth D man that can is willing to fight too. Other than that, don't see another signing unless they throw the big money at Bozak. Personally, I like the idea of keeping the cap space free for the most part to acquire good assets with cap dumps from other teams.
Cousin Strawberry
MVP
MVP

Post by Cousin Strawberry »

theman wrote: Thu Jun 28, 2018 8:31 am I thought I read that Reaves is an UFA, I can see him being signed by the Canucks. Probably a depth D man that can is willing to fight too. Other than that, don't see another signing unless they throw the big money at Bozak. Personally, I like the idea of keeping the cap space free for the most part to acquire good assets with cap dumps from other teams.
Reaves will cash in. He was just moved for a 1st round pick. Whoever lands him will be overpaying
If you need air...call it in
theman
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by theman »

Agree, depending on how much, he could still be worth it though. Will be interesting to see what he signs for.
Real Tim McCracken
AHL Prospect

Post by Real Tim McCracken »

theman wrote: Thu Jun 28, 2018 8:31 am I thought I read that Reaves is an UFA, I can see him being signed by the Canucks. Probably a depth D man that can is willing to fight too. Other than that, don't see another signing unless they throw the big money at Bozak. Personally, I like the idea of keeping the cap space free for the most part to acquire good assets with cap dumps from other teams.
Agreed. Reaves would fit and I'd also target some size in Beagle in the middle and, don't laugh, Schenn as a RHD. All placeholders and no Gagner or MDZ type deals. If Reaves doesn't fit based on cost, I'd stick with Archie but you don't know how willing he'd be to throw them given his fractured cheekbone from last year.

No term or big bucks for any UFA, weaponize the cap space for a couple years.
Good loser = LOSER!