Canucks 2018 Draft Review

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

Topper
CC Legend

Re: Canucks 2018 Draft Review

Post by Topper »

Common practice on Jamaica was to cram a bunch of weed into a bottle of rum and let it sit for weeks before drinking. I'm sure you could do the same with gin.
Last edited by Topper on Tue Jun 26, 2018 6:11 am, edited 1 time in total.
Over the Internet, you can pretend to be anyone or anything.

I'm amazed that so many people choose to be complete twats.
Hockey Widow
CC Legend

Post by Hockey Widow »

Note to self:

Try Tops recipe.
The only HW the Canucks need
5thhorseman
MVP
MVP

Post by 5thhorseman »

I'm positive that recipe would kill me. Why not toss a few scotch bonnets in there while you are at it :twisted:
Cousin Strawberry
MVP
MVP

Post by Cousin Strawberry »

A few years ago the wife got an idea for xmas gifts to make her own vanilla extract which is basically vodka with vanilla beans in there for 3 or 4 months... of course i had to try it with some bud. It was unreal.
If you need air...call it in
Topper
CC Legend

Post by Topper »

5thhorseman wrote: Tue Jun 26, 2018 8:49 am I'm positive that recipe would kill me. Why not toss a few scotch bonnets in there while you are at it :twisted:
A winery near Oliver, Silver Sage, sell a desert wine with a pepper of some sort in the bottle. Perfect gift for someone you don't like.
Over the Internet, you can pretend to be anyone or anything.

I'm amazed that so many people choose to be complete twats.
Tiger
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Tiger »

Cherry Picker wrote: Mon Jun 25, 2018 7:25 am I’ve been 19 for years.
I'm a Korean war vet..ya snot nosed punks..
" You're only young once - but can be immature forever "
" If you cant beat them in the alley - you can't beat them on the ice
ESQ
MVP
MVP

Post by ESQ »

I've heard the Canucks Army guy on the radio a bunch, and I was really impressed at the depth of his research heading into the draft.

Here's his take on Hughes.Here's my favourite excerpt:
Some people might look at Hughes’ small stature and reputation as a dynamic offensive player and assume he has deficiencies on the defensive side of the game. They would be wrong. While his occasional turnovers make him riskier in the neutral zone than his peers and his small frame can result in struggles to win puck battles at times, Hughes’ defending is excellent. His speed makes him a tenacious and dedicated backchecker, and he has an active stick which he uses to break up passing plays. As you might expect, his speed and puck skills also mean that once he regains possession, the puck doesn’t stay in his own zone for long.
I think what impresses me most about Hughes is that he was the youngest player in the NCAA and was dominant (started at 16 and 10 months, playing against 21-22 year olds), and also that he was on the ice for one goal against at the WCs (the only South Korea goal in a 13-1 stomping). I think that's a truly remarkable feat for the youngest player in the tournament.
DHA
CC Veteran

Post by DHA »

ESQ wrote: Tue Jun 26, 2018 1:27 pm I've heard the Canucks Army guy on the radio a bunch, and I was really impressed at the depth of his research heading into the draft.

Here's his take on Hughes.Here's my favourite excerpt:
Some people might look at Hughes’ small stature and reputation as a dynamic offensive player and assume he has deficiencies on the defensive side of the game. They would be wrong. While his occasional turnovers make him riskier in the neutral zone than his peers and his small frame can result in struggles to win puck battles at times, Hughes’ defending is excellent. His speed makes him a tenacious and dedicated backchecker, and he has an active stick which he uses to break up passing plays. As you might expect, his speed and puck skills also mean that once he regains possession, the puck doesn’t stay in his own zone for long.
I think what impresses me most about Hughes is that he was the youngest player in the NCAA and was dominant (started at 16 and 10 months, playing against 21-22 year olds), and also that he was on the ice for one goal against at the WCs (the only South Korea goal in a 13-1 stomping). I think that's a truly remarkable feat for the youngest player in the tournament.
As much as guys like Dobson an Buchard have the tools to be fantastic rearguards - Hughes skill set on the back end is extremely rare commodity in the league. You need your shut down heavy players, but when you need a goal or your PP is jumping the boards You will be able to count on one hand the guys in the league that can do what he can. Detroit got lucky but Canucks got the harder asset to trade for and a rare gem.
Hockey Widow
CC Legend

Post by Hockey Widow »

https://youtu.be/YEdqADPRX1s

Not sure if this has been posted before. A three minute clip on draft day. Canucks were very happy wth their picks. Interesting that they had a chance a few times to trade down and acquire more picks but liked a guy at every spot, except the 6th, which they parlayed into two 6ths.
The only HW the Canucks need
Carl Yagro
MVP
MVP

Post by Carl Yagro »

Thanks HW, that was pretty cool to see how they worked their list and went with who they liked rather than just grabbing an extra lower pick.

Totally agree with not going for another goalie in the earlier round.
The Best GD Canucks Hockey Talk Forum in the World... With Only 18 People!
Blob Mckenzie
MVP
MVP

Post by Blob Mckenzie »

Elmer was extremely crafty to turn down a trade for picks 63 and 86 for 37.

Just so we’re clear Paul.... LOL
“I don’t care what you and some other poster were talking about”
Todd Bersnoozi
CC Legend

Post by Todd Bersnoozi »

DHA wrote: Tue Jun 26, 2018 2:37 pm As much as guys like Dobson an Buchard have the tools to be fantastic rearguards - Hughes skill set on the back end is extremely rare commodity in the league.
I found it really interesting that the Hawks (right after us) passed on Bouchard and Dobson as well and went with the Swedish kid, Boqvist. It's pretty clear what most NHL teams covet at the present time: highly skilled D-men who can skate.