What grade do you give JB for the 2018 draft

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

What Grade do you give JB for the 2018 draft pick

A+ - JB is a God
8%
A - JB is a genius
29%
B+ - JB did very well
29%
B - JB did well
18%
C+ - JB was OK
5%
Fail - drive JB to the airport
11%

Total votes: 38

2Fingers
MVP
MVP

What grade do you give JB for the 2018 draft

Post by 2Fingers »

So it has been a few days and we are mostly all sober.

What grade would you give JB for his drafting in 2018?
2Fingers
MVP
MVP

Re: What grade do you give JB for the 2018 draft

Post by 2Fingers »

I picked A, he did not go crazy in his first couple of picks but would of preferred a bigger d man.

Hughes is a consensus pick and no one said JB should of picked someone else.
DHA
CC Veteran

Post by DHA »

Reefer2 wrote: Mon Jun 25, 2018 12:48 pm I picked A, he did not go crazy in his first couple of picks but would of preferred a bigger d man.

Hughes is a consensus pick and no one said JB should of picked someone else.
JB lucked out getting JH at 7 most polls had him like Sportsnet at 4. This pick alone he gets a A from me. It addresses a huge need for the team and adds potential star power to the brand. Woo might be a second round steal due to how his season played out getting injured then a 20 year old trade which forced him into another role. Both picks shore up the gaping prospect pool at defence. If the Canucks get another top 10 pick tin 2019 - and they some how aquire picks I think the rebuild will be climaxing in terms of drafting high in the first round, I could see the 2020 draft with us outside the top 10.

Next year fans get to watch Boeser EP and Gaudette that is enough to fill the seats I think. Adding Demko Dahlen Hughes Juolevi at some point this year or next keeps it exciting ...Woo will be knocking on the door by 2019 season.

It’s a weird time to be a fan when your still hoping for a high pick next year and don’t want to see a ton of wins in 2018/19 season.
Ronning's Ghost
MVP
MVP

Post by Ronning's Ghost »

All we can really say is whether or not we liked it; it will be years before we know how it turned out.

I will say this much: Benning showed the courage of his convictions with his predictions about the direction the League is taking, and went all in on speed and skill, with very little in the way of hedging. So full marks for boldness, which has sometimes been valued on this board.
Last edited by Ronning's Ghost on Mon Jun 25, 2018 4:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Cornuck
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Cornuck »

A+ god-status would have been achieved by maneuvering for 1st OA, but as it looks now, the D has more kicks at the can, with at least Hughes having enough potential to lead the D for a while.

It will be an interesting camp, but since we're not going anywhere this year, let the kids play, get some muscle for a year or two and see where this goes.
Doc: "BTW, Donny was right, you're smug."
Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

Post by Chef Boi RD »

I was looking for something higher than A+ because to be honest, A+ is an understatement. ChefBoiRG, your thoughts?

I read around places where Jimbro and his Genius Tutorials (the Brass), if Hughes had been gone by 7 the Canucks wanted this Hayton guy and if Hayton was gone as well as Hughes gone, they had Kotkaniemi next. Apparently Chicago really wanted Hayton which is why Arizona didn't trade back.

Reefer is Madness
“Tyler Myers is my guy... I was taking to Scotty Bowman last night and he was bringing up his name, and saying he’s a big guy and big guy need big minutes to play, he is playing great for ya… and I agree with him… He’s been exceptional” - Bruce Boudreau
ESQ
MVP
MVP

Post by ESQ »

Its funny, I was thinking about the last time the Canucks developed a defencman.

Hutton and Stecher weren't really "developed" by the Canucks organization, they both just showed up pretty much fully formed from college, with no time on the farm.

Going back to Tanev, he at least spent parts of 2 seasons going up and down to the farm, before sticking for good after the lockout. But he wasn't a Canucks draft pick.

It seems like the last Canucks-drafted defenceman, who was developed by the organization into an NHLer, was Alex Edler. :shock:
Ronning's Ghost
MVP
MVP

Post by Ronning's Ghost »

RoyalDude wrote: Mon Jun 25, 2018 1:47 pm ChefBoiRG, your thoughts?
Ummmm....scroll up ?
Blob Mckenzie
MVP
MVP

Post by Blob Mckenzie »

C + from me. He automatically loses points for not having 8-9 picks and then loses another point for having less than the seven the NHL provides him with. M

I like the gamble with Hughes, you can’t deny his talent. Uutinen seems like he might be a player. I dont hate the 2nd and 3rd rounders they picked but I don’t love them either.

More picks Elmer. Not sure why he seems be allergic to acquiring them.
“I don’t care what you and some other poster were talking about”
Madcombinepilot
MVP
MVP

Post by Madcombinepilot »

Blob Mckenzie wrote: Mon Jun 25, 2018 3:34 pm C + from me. He automatically loses points for not having 8-9 picks and then loses another point for having less than the seven the NHL provides him with. M

I like the gamble with Hughes, you can’t deny his talent. Uutinen seems like he might be a player. I dont hate the 2nd and 3rd rounders they picked but I don’t love them either.

I dont think he is allergic to acquiring them, I really don't think other GM's want to give them to him. They almost always seem to offer prospects back, and he can't seem to buy a draft pick... everyone knows he is trying to acquire picks, and that he is a monster picker in the mid rounds, so why would they help him out??
The 'Chain of Command' is the chain I am going to beat you with until you understand I am in charge.
Blob Mckenzie
MVP
MVP

Post by Blob Mckenzie »

Madcombinepilot wrote: Mon Jun 25, 2018 3:48 pm
Blob Mckenzie wrote: Mon Jun 25, 2018 3:34 pm C + from me. He automatically loses points for not having 8-9 picks and then loses another point for having less than the seven the NHL provides him with. M

I dont think he is allergic to acquiring them, I really don't think other GM's want to give them to him. They almost always seem to offer prospects back, and he can't seem to buy a draft pick... everyone knows he is trying to acquire picks, and that he is a monster picker in the mid rounds, so why would they help him out??
Yeah the league fears him, that’s it. Now I’ve heard it all. Must be the jet black hair.

Every other GM seems to able to acquire picks in a rebuild. Rangers, Habs, Islanders to name a fee
Carl Yagro
MVP
MVP

Post by Carl Yagro »

Didn't JB just acquire a 2019, 6th rounder from the Caps?

I have to admit though, the jet black hair & eyebrows dye-job and Michael Jackson skin-lightening looks rather creepy.

Maybe this is how Jim is trying to acquire more picks from his fellow GMS... by distracting them during in-person and video conferencing negotiations.
The Best GD Canucks Hockey Talk Forum in the World... With Only 18 People!
Blob Mckenzie
MVP
MVP

Post by Blob Mckenzie »

Hank wrote: Mon Jun 25, 2018 4:00 pm Didn't JB just acquire a 2019, 6th rounder from the Caps?

I have to admit though, the jet black hair & eyebrows dye-job and Michael Jackson skin-lightening looks rather creepy.
Yes he picked up a 6th. Point is he should be shooting for 8-12 picks a year. He has some decent junk to get picks for next years draft. Hutton (3rd), Granlund (5th), Baertschi (2nd) and who knows maybe move Sutter if you land a centre or two in free agency. Lots of rumours around him and I think he’d welcome a move to a contender.
Carl Yagro
MVP
MVP

Post by Carl Yagro »

Blob Mckenzie wrote: Mon Jun 25, 2018 4:03 pm
Hank wrote: Mon Jun 25, 2018 4:00 pm Didn't JB just acquire a 2019, 6th rounder from the Caps?

Yes he picked up a 6th. Point is he should be shooting for 8-12 picks a year. He has some decent junk to get picks for next years draft. Hutton (3rd), Granlund (5th), Baertschi (2nd) and who knows maybe move Sutter if you land a centre or two in free agency. Lots of rumours around him and I think he’d welcome a move to a contender.
8-12 picks a year... jeez, you don't expect much do ya, Blob?

Agree. These are definitely the candidates to move for picks if a few of our young 'uns look like they're ready for full-time duty. I'd put Goldy on that list too.
The Best GD Canucks Hockey Talk Forum in the World... With Only 18 People!
Blob Mckenzie
MVP
MVP

Post by Blob Mckenzie »

Hank, the Rangers just drafted 11 times. Detroit and Montreal had ten picks each.