Trade rumours & armchair pipe dreams 18-19 Sponsored by SKYO

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

2Fingers
MVP
MVP

Re: Trade rumours & armchair pipe dreams 18-19 Sponsored by SKYO

Post by 2Fingers »

Strangelove wrote: Fri Jun 22, 2018 12:24 pm Get with the program, everyone agrees Markstrom is the placeholder for Demko.

And many believe Demko will replace Nilsson this season.

What kind of goalie did you want to bring in and what would he cost?

And what would we then do with one of Markstrom/Demko?
I am saying this year and next the Canucks are still in transition. I would love the Nucks to sigh JT and then maybe a deal with 7 th OA ++++ for Karlsson or sign Carlson. Then JB would have to go after 1 of the top UFA goalies or make a deal.

Demko will need 2 seasons to be bonafide.

Edit - this year with the option on Ottawa’s 1st up in the air they would love to have a 7th pick and then send their 4th to Colorado.
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Strangelove »

Reefer2 wrote: Fri Jun 22, 2018 12:48 pm
Strangelove wrote: Fri Jun 22, 2018 12:24 pm Get with the program, everyone agrees Markstrom is the placeholder for Demko.

I am saying this year and next the Canucks are still in transition.
Okay, if so we have placeholders Markstrom/Nilsson... and goaltender of the future Demko.

Where's the problem? Image

Reefer2 wrote: Fri Jun 22, 2018 12:48 pm I would love the Nucks to sigh JT and then maybe a deal with 7 th OA ++++ for Karlsson or sign Carlson.
If Canucks grab JT and Karlsson/Carlson, are Canucks "still in transition"? Image

Reefer2 wrote: Fri Jun 22, 2018 12:48 pm Then JB would have to go after 1 of the top UFA goalies or make a deal.
There are no "top goalies" available in the UFA market this year

... and to trade for one would be next to impossible (and cost a ton).

And why would we bring in a new #1 if we're "transitioning" to Demko?

You clearly haven't thought this through...

Reefer2 wrote: Fri Jun 22, 2018 12:48 pm Demko will need 2 seasons to be bonafide.
If you're right, we have Markstrom here to hold the fort. Image
____
Try to focus on someday.
vic
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by vic »

Cherry Picker wrote: Fri Jun 22, 2018 10:16 am Expanding on my thought from the last thread about Taveres.
Lets say the Canucks had planned to offer Brock a 8 x 6 m salary = 48m all together.
While they have a ton of cap space offer him 15m on a one year deal and then 7 years at 5m = 50m all together (or 8 years). That way his cap hit is reduced in future years when other players need to start being paid and he makes a couple extra million for taking two contracts instead of one. He also benefits by a big up front payday in his first year.
Great idea, or great idea?
Section 50.5 (F)(iv) of the CBA:
A Player who is party to a one-year SPC may not enter into an "extension" of such SPC prior to January 1 of the League Year covered by such SPC.
So that means JT could sign for 15mil and then be awarded his extension no sooner than Jan 1, 2019.

What happens if he breaks his leg in training camp and is out until February? Does he need to come back and prove he's worth the extension or has he just kissed ~ $60 mil goodbye?

I'm guessing he signs for 70 - 80 mil, maybe even up to 85 over 7 years to leave the Islanders and guarantees himself and his family the money now.

7 years, 75 mil - 10.7 mil cap hit

3 big bonuses
Year 1 - Upon signing (2018)
Year 2 - July 1 (2019)
Year 5 - July 1 (2022)

Sept 2019, either the NHL or NHLPA can opt out of the current CBA, causing yet another lockout. That bonus would be paid before the lockout so it's guaranteed in case of a work stoppage.

If either the NHL or NHLPA decide to not opt out, the CBA expires in Sept 2022, that bonus would be guaranteed as well in case of a work stoppage.

Year 1: 15 mil bonus / 5 mil salary
Year 2: 20 mil bonus / 5 mil salary
Year 3: 3 mil salary
Year 4: 3 mil salary
Year 5: 15 mil bonus / 3 mil salary
Year 6: 3 mil salary / M-NTC
Year 7: 3 mil salary / M-NTC

Total paid over 7 years: $75 mil
Total guaranteed in case of lockout in 2019: $40 mil
Total guaranteed in case of lockout in 2022: $66 mil

of course it's always fun to spend other people's money :-)
Mickey107
MVP
MVP

Post by Mickey107 »

Very good, Vic; Most keep forgetting the lockout scenarios.
"evolution"
Mickey107
MVP
MVP

Post by Mickey107 »

Reefer2 wrote: Fri Jun 22, 2018 12:48 pm

I am saying this year and next the Canucks are still in transition. I would love the Nucks to sigh JT and then maybe a deal with 7 th OA ++++ for Karlsson or sign Carlson. Then JB would have to go after 1 of the top UFA goalies or make a deal.

Demko will need 2 seasons to be bonafide.

Edit - this year with the option on Ottawa’s 1st up in the air they would love to have a 7th pick and then send their 4th to Colorado.
Holy shit Reef: Maybe a 787 Dreamliner to fly the boys around in too. Zoom-Zoom......... :wow:
"evolution"
SKYO
MVP
MVP

Post by SKYO »

dreger reporting on Tavares:
John Tavares expected to make the call tomorrow on whether or not he plans on taking advantage of the interview period which opens Sunday.
Can the Canucks just win a Cup within the next 5 years.
SKYO
MVP
MVP

Post by SKYO »

And now lets sign Carlson.
Meds
MVP
MVP

Post by Meds »

SKYO wrote: Fri Jun 22, 2018 12:26 pm
Cherry Picker wrote: Fri Jun 22, 2018 10:16 am Expanding on my thought from the last thread about Taveres.
Lets say the Canucks had planned to offer Brock a 8 x 6 m salary = 48m all together.
While they have a ton of cap space offer him 15m on a one year deal and then 7 years at 5m = 50m all together (or 8 years). That way his cap hit is reduced in future years when other players need to start being paid and he makes a couple extra million for taking two contracts instead of one. He also benefits by a big up front payday in his first year.
Great idea, or great idea?
I'd say look at David Pastrnak's contract - $6.6M ish per for Boeser.

For Tavares it would probably take $12m per to steal him outta NY.

And idk I'd rather spend big bucks on Carlson instead $9M per, if you can do that then drafting Wahlstrom would be stupendous - he'd make our forward group ridiculously deep.
Tavares has put up nearly 1 point per game (sometimes better) for the past 7 years, and he has handed multiple linemates career seasons in contract years. The guy is a bonafide top 10 center in this league (maybe top 5) and can anchor a top line with a revolving door of wingers.

Carlson has had 3 out of 8 seasons where he has put up even 0.5ppg and he has had the luxury of being the point man on a PP featuring the best goal scorer the NHL has seen in the past 15 years.

Both guys are going to get their money if they test UFA waters. Tavares will be worth the money no matter where he goes. If Carlson gets his money anywhere other than Washington, he could very easily end up being an 8-figure defenseman putting up 6-figure numbers.

I would much rather have a one-two punch down the middle of Tavares and Horvat with wingers like Brock, Pettersson, Virtanen, etc., flanking them, rather than blow money on a guy who MIGHT make his partner better, and MIGHT make the team better.
Hockey Widow
CC Legend

Post by Hockey Widow »

With the trade today that the Caps made they will sign Carlson. I’m betting he is off the market.

JT will decide in the next 24 hours if he will do his city visits next week. If I’m him, unless the Islanders knock his socks off, I’m doing the city visits. Even then, money is not his number one priority. The question is have the Islanders done enough to keep him. They had a pretty good draft but those kids may not be impact players for a few years. The bigger question for JT is going to be trades and or FA signings. He wants to see the vision.

It would be magical if we could land him, I’m just not seeing it. We are not ready to compete for a Cup. But maybe his buddy Sam can persuade him no? :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
The only HW the Canucks need
Mickey107
MVP
MVP

Post by Mickey107 »

SKYO wrote: Fri Jun 22, 2018 7:18 pm And now lets sign Carlson.
Going to need him after to-nite's atrocious draft pick.
"evolution"
SKYO
MVP
MVP

Post by SKYO »

Mëds wrote: Fri Jun 22, 2018 8:16 pm
SKYO wrote: Fri Jun 22, 2018 12:26 pm For Tavares it would probably take $12m per to steal him outta NY.

And idk I'd rather spend big bucks on Carlson instead $9M per, if you can do that then drafting Wahlstrom would be stupendous - he'd make our forward group ridiculously deep.
Tavares has put up nearly 1 point per game (sometimes better) for the past 7 years, and he has handed multiple linemates career seasons in contract years. The guy is a bonafide top 10 center in this league (maybe top 5) and can anchor a top line with a revolving door of wingers.

Carlson has had 3 out of 8 seasons where he has put up even 0.5ppg and he has had the luxury of being the point man on a PP featuring the best goal scorer the NHL has seen in the past 15 years.

Both guys are going to get their money if they test UFA waters. Tavares will be worth the money no matter where he goes. If Carlson gets his money anywhere other than Washington, he could very easily end up being an 8-figure defenseman putting up 6-figure numbers.

I would much rather have a one-two punch down the middle of Tavares and Horvat with wingers like Brock, Pettersson, Virtanen, etc., flanking them, rather than blow money on a guy who MIGHT make his partner better, and MIGHT make the team better.
Once could argue Tavares has missed 6 of 9 years of the playoffs including the past two seasons, meaning maybe he's not capable of carrying a team on his shoulders to the promised land like a Crosby. While Carlson the big workhorse who can play in all situations has helped his team make the playoffs 8 of 9 years.

The Canucks main weakness is defense and Carlson would change that, the impact of Carlson vs Tavares on this team, Carlson would make the bigger impact in improving the team imo. Plus the Canucks have potential in Pettersson switching to center pretty quick, also Gaudette, with the many wingers building up.

In any case as HW mentions it's likely Carlson re-signs.

Which makes me go to plan B and sign Green to 3 years at a much cheaper contract.

Or try to trade for someone like Hamilton big young right shot dman or another right side dman, probably have to trade Tanev to acquire the assets to make such a deal.

I'm just trying to envision a bigger right side dman to play with Hughes who could possibly play next season.
BladesofSteel
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by BladesofSteel »

Edler Karlsson
Hughes Gudbranson
:mex:
Hockey Widow
CC Legend

Post by Hockey Widow »

BladesofSteel wrote: Fri Jun 22, 2018 11:53 pm Edler Karlsson
Hughes Gudbranson
Juolevi Trymankin
The only HW the Canucks need
Blob Mckenzie
MVP
MVP

Post by Blob Mckenzie »

Hughes Gudbranson
Why would you do that to Hughes?
“I don’t care what you and some other poster were talking about”
Lancer
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Lancer »

Blob Mckenzie wrote: Sat Jun 23, 2018 6:51 am
Hughes Gudbranson
Why would you do that to Hughes?
Actually, he wouldn’t be a bad pick to ride shotgun for the kid. Just clear the crease, give it to him for the breakout and be the safety net if he jumps up. Anybody wants to rough him up, step in.

Hughes would be skating miles to help Guddy out, but then he has the wheels for it.
Love the Sport. Love the Team.

Hate the League.