The 2018 NHL Entry Draft

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

Ronning's Ghost
MVP
MVP

Re: The 2018 NHL Entry Draft

Post by Ronning's Ghost »

Cherry Picker wrote: Wed Jun 20, 2018 10:21 am What I want to know is if there is anyway to rank the picks according to their likelihood of suffering a career ending injury?
Of all the teams, the Canucks should find some coded algorithm to measure injury potential for their analysis.
I fear for the safety of whoever they end up taking.
I think most teams use size as a proxy for durability, but I agree it would be smart for the Canucks to develop some measurement with better predictive power.
Mickey107
MVP
MVP

Post by Mickey107 »

Ronning's Ghost wrote: Wed Jun 20, 2018 10:26 am
Cherry Picker wrote: Wed Jun 20, 2018 10:21 am What I want to know is if there is anyway to rank the picks according to their likelihood of suffering a career ending injury?
Of all the teams, the Canucks should find some coded algorithm to measure injury potential for their analysis.
I fear for the safety of whoever they end up taking.
I think most teams use size as a proxy for durability, but I agree it would be smart for the Canucks to develop some measurement with better predictive power.
Being privy to at least two generations of family history would be a great start. Conceivably a little personal.
"evolution"
Cousin Strawberry
MVP
MVP

Post by Cousin Strawberry »

From McKeens:
https://www.mckeenshockey.com/nhl-blog ... t-mailbag/
Ryan - McKeens: They should just trade down a few spots and take whichever of Hughes, Bouchard, Dobson, or Boqvist that is left on the board. Not coincidentally, that is the order we rank the group of post-Dahlin defensemen in this draft class.
Interesting watching the final hours of this draft class. Its not usually this random with the predictions from the hockey world...Hughes being their top dog.
If you need air...call it in
Mickey107
MVP
MVP

Post by Mickey107 »

Uncle dans leg wrote: Wed Jun 20, 2018 1:34 pm From McKeens:
Ryan - McKeens: They should just trade down a few spots and take whichever of Hughes, Bouchard, Dobson, or Boqvist that is left on the board. Not coincidentally, that is the order we rank the group of post-Dahlin defensemen in this draft class.
Interesting watching the final hours of this draft class. Its not usually this random with the predictions from the hockey world...Hughes being their top dog.
If Jim picks him, I will officially be off the fence. :sly:
"evolution"
Mickey107
MVP
MVP

Post by Mickey107 »

Trying to cheer everyone's day up. ;)

http://newyork.cbslocal.com/tale-of-the ... nhl-draft/

LOL, I think we win. :lol:
"evolution"
5thhorseman
MVP
MVP

Post by 5thhorseman »

Are you still posting links Mick? That article is 4 years old man!
DonCherry4PM
MVP
MVP

Post by DonCherry4PM »

Uncle dans leg wrote: Wed Jun 20, 2018 1:34 pm From McKeens:
Thanks for the link, UDL.

Interesting point made in the article re. the ceilings and floors of the d-men who are most likely to be available at our pick:
Between Bouchard, Dobson and Boqvist who has the highest ceiling?

McKeens: Boqvist. The young Swedish defender is absolutely electric, comparable in some ways to Quinn Hughes. Boqvist, who was only born in August of 2000 is also much younger than the other two you asked about, giving him more room for potential growth.

That said, he also has the lowest floor of the big five defensemen. He is very much a one way guy and needs to learn how to play away from the puck.
This still re-enforces my desire to go for Boqvist with our first pick - rather reach for the stars - high risk/high reward.
Invincibility lies in oneself.
Vincibility lies in the enemy.

- Sun Tzu
Madcombinepilot
MVP
MVP

Post by Madcombinepilot »

Watching a Jimbro interview on twitter....

Jimmy dye his hair black??
The 'Chain of Command' is the chain I am going to beat you with until you understand I am in charge.
Mickey107
MVP
MVP

Post by Mickey107 »

Total History; I haven't looked at this for years.
http://www.hockeydb.com/ihdb/draft/team ... 08756.html
"evolution"
Puck
MVP
MVP

Post by Puck »

DonCherry4PM wrote: Thu Jun 21, 2018 11:41 am
Between Bouchard, Dobson and Boqvist who has the highest ceiling?

McKeens: Boqvist. The young Swedish defender is absolutely electric, comparable in some ways to Quinn Hughes. Boqvist, who was only born in August of 2000 is also much younger than the other two you asked about, giving him more room for potential growth.

That said, he also has the lowest floor of the big five defensemen. He is very much a one way guy and needs to learn how to play away from the puck.
This still re-enforces my desire to go for Boqvist with our first pick - rather reach for the stars - high risk/high reward.
I agree.
It's too bad we can't draft him and loan him to the London Knights for a year of D-training.
Cousin Strawberry
MVP
MVP

Post by Cousin Strawberry »

Hey who can help me with where to stream the draft?
If you need air...call it in
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Strangelove »

Uncle dans leg wrote: Fri Jun 22, 2018 2:31 pm Hey who can help me with where to stream the draft?
It's officially here: https://www.nbcsports.com/

Not sure if a subscription is necessary.
____
Try to focus on someday.
Mickey107
MVP
MVP

Post by Mickey107 »

I gotta say this before the draft:
How the hell can there be "SO" many hockey experts ranking Quinton Hughes so high?
Everyone professing the new era is to be smaller/quicker defense men.
Notice how in pro sports; IF A LITTLE IS GOOD, A LOT IS BETTER !
I don't buy it.
I realize the rules are tighter, but; In the playoffs, even this year, it was all out bone crushing hockey, very intense, as usual.
I don't care how "speedy" wee d-men are, that brand of hockey will be rather destructive.
It's not just speaking the height, I'm talikn mini height & mini weight combined. Deadly mix for a defender.
"evolution"
nuckster
MVP
MVP

Post by nuckster »

micky107 wrote: Fri Jun 22, 2018 3:05 pm I gotta say this before the draft:
How the hell can there be "SO" many hockey experts ranking Quinton Hughes so high?
Everyone professing the new era is to be smaller/quicker defense men.
Notice how in pro sports; IF A LITTLE IS GOOD, A LOT IS BETTER !
I don't buy it.
I realize the rules are tighter, but; In the playoffs, even this year, it was all out bone crushing hockey, very intense, as usual.
I don't care how "speedy" wee d-men are, that brand of hockey will be rather destructive.
It's not just speaking the height, I'm talikn mini height & mini weight combined. Deadly mix for a defender.
I recall reading some writers saying that he's quite gifted with his transition game, almost Bobby Orr like. His size is a concern though, especially for a defenceman.
cc oldtimer
Hockey Widow
CC Legend

Post by Hockey Widow »

TRADE | The Washington Capitals have acquired a second round pick, 47th-overall from the Colorado Avalanche in the 2018 NHL Draft in exchange for defenseman Brooks Orpik and Philipp Grubauer. #ALLCAPS

Caps free up cap and will now likely sign Carlson.
The only HW the Canucks need