Around the league (signings, RFAs injuries)

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

vic
CC Hall of Fan Member

Re: Around the league (signings, RFAs injuries)

Post by vic »

Lancer wrote: Tue Jun 19, 2018 8:19 am
vic wrote: Tue Jun 19, 2018 7:20 am
Reefer2 wrote: Tue Jun 19, 2018 6:00 am Hoffman gone.

https://www.tsn.ca/senators-trade-hoffm ... -1.1116853

No surprise.
And gone again..

Sharks trade Hoffman to Panthers for a bunch of picks
I'd say Ottawa got the better end of this series of deals. Boedkker is no slouch, even if he won't score as much as Hoffman. The head-scratcher is San Jose giving up Boedkker, a D prospect and a later-round pick for Hoffman, only to trade him away for three picks - none of them a first-rounder. Was this a cap-dump of Boedkker, and Wilson just wanted to load up on picks, or did he really want Hoffman until he saw what a toxic mess he was getting into? Given the short turn-around time between the trades, it makes me lean towards the former. Wilson had to have done his homework before trading for Hoffman.

There was a time not long ago when Hoffman's price would have been a late 1st-rounder at least. The world moves fast.
Cap dump to go after Tavares, picks to show JT that the team will continue to add.
Cousin Strawberry
MVP
MVP

Post by Cousin Strawberry »

Too bad we werent in on the bargain sale for 25 goal scorers. Man did florida ever come out like bandits there
If you need air...call it in
vic
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by vic »

Uncle dans leg wrote: Tue Jun 19, 2018 10:19 am Too bad we werent in on the bargain sale for 25 goal scorers. Man did florida ever come out like bandits there
Because Benning trading another 2nd Round Pick in a draft that is being held in Vancouver for a young player who has rumored locker room problems along with his gal would be welcome by fans here.
Cousin Strawberry
MVP
MVP

Hes a 1st line left winger Vic...sort out the crazy old lady issues and theres the other side of your top line for peanuts. The canucks LW depth is all either 19 yrs olds or career underachievers like Sven Bearchi/7 hits Eriksson
Mickey107
MVP
MVP

Post by Mickey107 »

San Jose has officially started their first tank! Nice and early too, I might add.
All joking aside, are they f**king nuts?

Something weird or unknown with this.
"evolution"
Island Nucklehead
MVP
MVP

Post by Island Nucklehead »

Lancer wrote: Tue Jun 19, 2018 8:19 am
vic wrote: Tue Jun 19, 2018 7:20 am
Reefer2 wrote: Tue Jun 19, 2018 6:00 am Hoffman gone.

https://www.tsn.ca/senators-trade-hoffm ... -1.1116853

No surprise.
And gone again..

Sharks trade Hoffman to Panthers for a bunch of picks
I'd say Ottawa got the better end of this series of deals. Boedkker is no slouch, even if he won't score as much as Hoffman. The head-scratcher is San Jose giving up Boedkker, a D prospect and a later-round pick for Hoffman, only to trade him away for three picks - none of them a first-rounder. Was this a cap-dump of Boedkker, and Wilson just wanted to load up on picks, or did he really want Hoffman until he saw what a toxic mess he was getting into? Given the short turn-around time between the trades, it makes me lean towards the former. Wilson had to have done his homework before trading for Hoffman.

There was a time not long ago when Hoffman's price would have been a late 1st-rounder at least. The world moves fast.
I think San Jose did well here. They cleared cap ($4M can be split RFA's Tierney and Hertl) and maintain plenty of room for UFA season, while restocking the pipeline. IN: 2nd, 4th, 5th, 5th. Out: 6th, 7th.

Flordia gets the best player of the day, but also the biggest potential head-case (his fiancé facing legal issues), not to mention the potential for further locker room disruption (how do the ladies in the Panthers family suite accept her?).

The biggest win for Ottawa is moving on from the scandal. Boedker is overpaid for what he brings (35-ish points). They managed to upgrade a marginal 22-year old ECHL dman for a marginal 22-year old AHL dman, while downgrading from a 5th to a 6th rounder.
Blob Mckenzie
MVP
MVP

Post by Blob Mckenzie »

San Jose dumped a contract they didn’t like and got some high picks added to the cupboard. Wilson is a genius. This Donaghey Guy is 22 and in the ECHL. He’s a scrub prospect at best
“I don’t care what you and some other poster were talking about”
Blob Mckenzie
MVP
MVP

Post by Blob Mckenzie »

micky107 wrote: Tue Jun 19, 2018 11:03 am San Jose has officially started their first tank! Nice and early too, I might add.

Dumping a bad contract for picks is called being smart. I can see where you’re confused here. :roll:
vic
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by vic »

Uncle dans leg wrote: Tue Jun 19, 2018 10:55 am Hes a 1st line left winger Vic...sort out the crazy old lady issues and theres the other side of your top line for peanuts. The canucks LW depth is all either 19 yrs olds or career underachievers like Sven Bearchi/7 hits Eriksson
Hoffman is going to hit UFA in 2 years, already making 5 mil per, he'll probably want/get 7+ on a long term deal at the ripe old age of 30.

He's a good player now ready to help a team get over the hump and win a cup - by the time the Canucks window is wide open again, he'll be 32-36 years old - rather the team spend the money then on a big name player in his late 20's to put them over the top.

Signing him as a 30 year old to anything longer than a 3-4 year deal would be the clear definition of wasted cap space.
Mickey107
MVP
MVP

Post by Mickey107 »

Blob Mckenzie wrote: Tue Jun 19, 2018 11:12 am
micky107 wrote: Tue Jun 19, 2018 11:03 am San Jose has officially started their first tank! Nice and early too, I might add.

Dumping a bad contract for picks is called being smart. I can see where you’re confused here. :roll:
No first rounders is a big gambol. That's really gonna take a genius.
But hey; Evander will be a great mentor for the young. :drink:
"evolution"
Hockey Widow
CC Legend

Post by Hockey Widow »

In this trade it seems everyone won. Ottawa got a respectable player back and rid themselves of a problem. Florida got a respectable LW for a handful of picks, none of which were a first. SJS cleared cap and landed a handful of picks to boot.

All three teams had different goals and they seemed to accomplish them.
The only HW the Canucks need
Cousin Strawberry
MVP
MVP

vic wrote: Tue Jun 19, 2018 11:15 am
Uncle dans leg wrote: Tue Jun 19, 2018 10:55 am Hes a 1st line left winger Vic...sort out the crazy old lady issues and theres the other side of your top line for peanuts. The canucks LW depth is all either 19 yrs olds or career underachievers like Sven Bearchi/7 hits Eriksson
Hoffman is going to hit UFA in 2 years, already making 5 mil per, he'll probably want/get 7+ on a long term deal at the ripe old age of 30.

He's a good player now ready to help a team get over the hump and win a cup - by the time the Canucks window is wide open again, he'll be 32-36 years old - rather the team spend the money then on a big name player in his late 20's to put them over the top.

Signing him as a 30 year old to anything longer than a 3-4 year deal would be the clear definition of wasted cap space.
This i can agree with.

It always fires up the fan in me whenever top liners get moved for far less than market value and my team isnt in on it
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Strangelove »

Hockey Widow wrote: Tue Jun 19, 2018 1:42 pm In this trade it seems everyone won. Ottawa got a respectable player back and rid themselves of a problem. Florida got a respectable LW for a handful of picks, none of which were a first. SJS cleared cap and landed a handful of picks to boot.

All three teams had different goals and they seemed to accomplish them.
Ottawa also saves a lot of real money.

Hoffman gets $5.65M-per over the next two seasons.

Boedker gets $3M-per over the next two seasons.

Also I'll bet throw-in young RH dee Bergman is their #7/#8 dman next year and he has upside.
____
Try to focus on someday.
Blob Mckenzie
MVP
MVP

Post by Blob Mckenzie »

Uncle dans leg wrote: Tue Jun 19, 2018 1:57 pm
vic wrote: Tue Jun 19, 2018 11:15 am

This i can agree with.

It always fires up the fan in me whenever top liners get moved for far less than market value and my team isnt in on it
He’s a lumbering player who is turning 29. This team needs speed not another Loui who’s soft and slow. Build with youth
Topper
CC Legend

Post by Topper »

First skate park was an indoor one in south Burnaby. Had to have a paid membership. We used to ride the Weiser wall everyday after school. Weekends Nico and his North Van hangers on used to bus it over so we could show them how to ride.
Over the Internet, you can pretend to be anyone or anything.

I'm amazed that so many people choose to be complete twats.