Trade rumours & armchair pipe dreams 17-18 Sponsored by SKYO

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

Cherry Picker
CC Hall of Fan Member

Re: Trade rumours & armchair pipe dreams 17-18 Sponsored by SKYO

Post by Cherry Picker »

One of the issues is finding room for Sautner and Juolevi next year. I guess I’d rather move out journeymen like Biega and MDZ rather than not fully developed players like Hutton and Stecher. If the coach is not happy with effort he can limit ice time and drop players down the depth chart, focus on areas to improve during practise sessions and look for improvement over time. A defense of:

Gudbranson Edler
Tanev Juolevi
Pouliot Sautner
Stecher Hutton

Has more potential, and is probably not significantly worse than:

Gudbranson Edler
Tanev Juolevi
Pouliot Del Zotto
Biega Sautner

Until Tryamkin comes back or Dobson/Boqvist/Hughes/Bouchard is ready the Canucks should keep as much potential as possible and see if the coaches can earn their stripes and develop their younger players. We know the journeymen won’t be around when the Canucks turn the corner.
We are all Snidely Whiplash.
Blob Mckenzie
MVP
MVP

Post by Blob Mckenzie »

Strangelove wrote: Thu May 24, 2018 4:33 pm
micky107 wrote: Thu May 24, 2018 2:15 pm If I had to guess, I'd say Pouliot may be the odd man out.
Now I am well aware that friendships shouldn't count but quite often, they do.
Hutton is very well liked by his team mates. In particular, Horvat, Stecher and now Brock. Those four are pretty tight.
We're not building a country club.

Hutton was shit last season so ship him out and put Stecher on notice (also shit).

Send the right signals amirite?
If that’s the case ship Pouliott and Eriksson out and put Gudbranson on notice
“I don’t care what you and some other poster were talking about”
Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

Post by Chef Boi RD »

Hutton is just one of those guys. Not a party animal type, but just too easy going. Not overly driven. It won’t fly with Green
“Tyler Myers is my guy... I was taking to Scotty Bowman last night and he was bringing up his name, and saying he’s a big guy and big guy need big minutes to play, he is playing great for ya… and I agree with him… He’s been exceptional” - Bruce Boudreau
Cherry Picker
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Cherry Picker »

RoyalDude wrote: Fri May 25, 2018 6:42 am Hutton is just one of those guys. Not a party animal type, but just too easy going. Not overly driven. It won’t fly with Green
Hutton played better after being sat, so keep sitting him and reinserting him until he learns to play more consistently at a higher level. Green has a reputation as a straight forward coach. If he comes down hard on Hutton over and over, he might improve and play more like he did in his rookie season. Sautner, Pouliot, Juolevi, Stecher don’t need to play every game. Keep sitting different players after each loss so they can get a chance to watch some games and think about their games. Team wins, roster stays the same. Team losses, the players that sat get a chance. After each loss when Hutton plays, sit him until he becomes more consistent. Biega and MDZ are what they are, Hutton has more potential. Whether he can reach it or not is the big question.
Tciso
MVP
MVP

Post by Tciso »

SKYO wrote: Thu May 24, 2018 3:39 pm Canucks should 'Cody Hodgson' Ben Hutton and give him pure offensive zone minutes like Boston does with Krug.

Get Hutton's points way up, then trade him for a power winger, just when everyone is falling in love with his game.
If that works, why trade him, cuz that is a role we need filled. Also, the other GMs can usually see through the smoke and mirrors if the results are fake news.
The Cup is soooooo ours!!!!!!!
ESQ
MVP
MVP

Post by ESQ »

Cherry Picker wrote: Fri May 25, 2018 3:58 am Until Tryamkin comes back or Dobson/Boqvist/Hughes/Bouchard is ready the Canucks should keep as much potential as possible and see if the coaches can earn their stripes and develop their younger players. We know the journeymen won’t be around when the Canucks turn the corner.
Very well said.

Though the only thing I'd add is - don't worry about making room. The Canucks' 7/8 defencemen will play 40+ games due to injuries, #9 will probably get 20ish games.

I like Skyo's pump-and-dump idea, I think it could work equally well for Hutton or Pouliot. Moving one of those guys would bump one of Sautner or Juolevi up a spot and mean they probably get 40ish games. But there's nothing wrong with that happening a few months after camp.
SKYO
MVP
MVP

Post by SKYO »

Richardstroker69 wrote: Thu May 24, 2018 4:42 pm
SKYO wrote: Thu May 24, 2018 3:39 pm Canucks should 'Cody Hodgson' Ben Hutton and give him pure offensive zone minutes like Boston does with Krug.

Get Hutton's points way up, then trade him for a power winger, just when everyone is falling in love with his game.
Problem with Hutton though is his shot is a muffin, and he often looks lost in the offensive zone.
With pure offensive zone minutes while playing with Bo/Boeser/Pettersson, Hutton should be able to get 30 assists, and try to reach 130 shots he could get some bounces like 2016/17 and pop in 5 goals.
5 goals, 30 assists, his value goes way up.

iirc his metrics were pretty solid to boot.
Can the Canucks just win a Cup within the next 5 years.
Cherry Picker
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Cherry Picker »

ESQ wrote: Fri May 25, 2018 8:31 am
Cherry Picker wrote: Fri May 25, 2018 3:58 am Until Tryamkin comes back or Dobson/Boqvist/Hughes/Bouchard is ready the Canucks should keep as much potential as possible and see if the coaches can earn their stripes and develop their younger players. We know the journeymen won’t be around when the Canucks turn the corner.
Very well said.

Though the only thing I'd add is - don't worry about making room. The Canucks' 7/8 defencemen will play 40+ games due to injuries, #9 will probably get 20ish games.

I like Skyo's pump-and-dump idea, I think it could work equally well for Hutton or Pouliot. Moving one of those guys would bump one of Sautner or Juolevi up a spot and mean they probably get 40ish games. But there's nothing wrong with that happening a few months after camp.
Really, there is no great need to trade anyone from the defense. Biega will easily pass through waivers and Juolevi can start the season in Utica and get a recall after the first injury, which usually happens before the preseason is a couple games old. the way injuries it the Canucks, he probably wouldn't miss any regular season games if he plays well enough to make the team.
SKYO
MVP
MVP

Post by SKYO »

Tciso wrote: Fri May 25, 2018 8:17 am

If that works, why trade him, cuz that is a role we need filled. Also, the other GMs can usually see through the smoke and mirrors if the results are fake news.
If that works it's most likely cause management wanted Green to do it lol, but the thinking is what if Green just doesn't like Hutton's vibe? which HW alluded to, as ya know some coaches are petty & just don't like a players personality for whatever reason, even though the best coaches are the ones who don't give a fuck like Scotty Bowman who was the puppet master, he knew how to push any player's buttons, kept all his players mind game fcuked to get em going no matter what.lol

Ya know, thinking about it all, maybe that's what Greener is doing to get Hutton all pissed off to come into camp a beast. :?:
Sportsnet 650:

Hutton on tough love from Green, "There was pushback from me too, it's tough just taking it the whole time, there was push back but we had a good relationship. We bumped heads a few times but the relation is healthier for it."

Hutton on if he see's a future in Vancouver : "Definitely, Greener was really tough on me for sure but at the same time, he was telling me to get better. If he didn't care, he would turn his head the other way."

Hutton on his tough year : "When adversity comes, you have to stare it in the face, accept it and challenge yourself."

Hutton on people saying he's out of shape, "Personally I don't agree with that, at the same time if that's what they are saying, I will be in the best shape I have ever been in. I will be in the top leaderboards in the fitness, I am going hard 5 days a week."

Ben Hutton on only 6 assists last year : " I was lacking a little bit of confidence, I went from a powerplay guy to penalty killing, little bit of a different role for me. I need to find my confidence, I am capable of making the plays."
Hockey Widow
CC Legend

Post by Hockey Widow »

^^^^^^

And maybe, just maybe, that fire, that piss and vinegar was exactly what Green was trying to uncover. Could we see a pumped up ready to rumble defensive beast out of Hutton come this fall?
The only HW the Canucks need
Blob Mckenzie
MVP
MVP

Post by Blob Mckenzie »

RoyalDude wrote: Fri May 25, 2018 6:42 am Hutton is just one of those guys. Not a party animal type, but just too easy going. Not overly driven. It won’t fly with Green
What is Eriksson’s problem? Is he a party animal?
“I don’t care what you and some other poster were talking about”
SKYO
MVP
MVP

Post by SKYO »

Hockey Widow wrote: Fri May 25, 2018 11:35 am ^^^^^^
And maybe, just maybe, that fire, that piss and vinegar was exactly what Green was trying to uncover. Could we see a pumped up ready to rumble defensive beast out of Hutton come this fall?
That would be awesome if that came to fruition!

--

ICYMI Elliotte thinking Hanifin is in the Canucks targets in his 31 thoughts.
Blob Mckenzie wrote: Wed May 23, 2018 5:48 pm
ESQ wrote: Wed May 23, 2018 1:22 pm
SKYO wrote: Tue May 22, 2018 1:14 pm/

His big battle was with Babcock to take Marner over Hanifin in the draft, which worked out well in the short term, but I think longer term Hanifin could be more valuable to a team. meh who knows.
Ya, I noticed that in the Toronto (slash national) coverage that Hunter was being praised for that pick. But the reality is, the leaves probably have to give up Marner to get a defenceman as good as Hanifin, so it's kind of a wash.
I would never trade Marner for Hanafin
What about #7 for Hanifin? Ferraro thinking Hanifin is a 2nd tier guy, saying he doesn't think anyone on the canucks roster can get a hanifin, meaning the untouchables are out of that equation, but he thinks if the dman the Canucks want is gone by #7 maybe they trade it for a young dman. And Hanifin would be asking for a sizeable contract even as a RFA.

Could be like that hamilton to calgary deal as Hamilton turned down Boston's contract offer so they dealt him quickly for picks.
Ronning's Ghost
MVP
MVP

Post by Ronning's Ghost »

SKYO wrote: Fri May 25, 2018 6:45 pm
What about #7 for Hanifin?
Depending, of course, on who is left at #7, that could be the best use of the pick.

I'd do it if Tkachuk were the BPA remaining at #7.
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Strangelove »

Ronning's Ghost wrote: Fri May 25, 2018 7:09 pm
SKYO wrote: Fri May 25, 2018 6:45 pm
What about #7 for Hanifin?
Depending, of course, on who is left at #7, that could be the best use of the pick.

I'd do it if Tkachuk were the BPA remaining at #7.
OMG Cliffy, you're the antistrangelove! :shock:

You've got everything assbackwards my friend...
____
Try to focus on someday.
Cousin Strawberry
MVP
MVP

Post by Cousin Strawberry »

Blob Mckenzie wrote: Fri May 25, 2018 5:17 pm
What is Eriksson’s problem? Is he a party animal?
Theres no business in the front with Loo-ee. Its all party all the time
If you need air...call it in