Trade rumours & armchair pipe dreams 17-18 Sponsored by SKYO

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

BladesofSteel
CC Hall of Fan Member

Re: Trade rumours & armchair pipe dreams 17-18 Sponsored by SKYO

Post by BladesofSteel »

I was hoping Jim could shed one or two of the injury prone defenders, not bring in more.

Green is a heckeva d-man, but he’d take up a lot of the trainers time with Van’s brutal travel.

It’s high time for Jim to make a bold move.

Erik Karlsson should be his main focus coming into the draft.
Blob Mckenzie
MVP
MVP

Post by Blob Mckenzie »

I love Karlsson but you’d have to gut the team to get him. I was a big proponent of acquiring him but would you be willing to trade one of Horvat/Boeser + Juolevi + 2018 7th overall pick? The Canucks just simply don’t have the depth.

I wonder how mabel muppy feels about it
“I don’t care what you and some other poster were talking about”
ESQ
MVP
MVP

Post by ESQ »

Karlsson with only 1 year left on his deal. I suppose its possible that Ottawa doesn't trade him, and finally treats him like the superstar he is and bends over backwards to try to get him to re-sign. (Or no team steps up to pay the astronomical asking price).

Its also possible that he waives his NTC for a Cup run, without signing a contract extension. Imagine if, say, Letang is hurt and on LTIR, what would the Penguins pay to rent Karlsson, knowing there's no chance they can re-sign him? A couple 1sts at least?

If he hits UFA, I like the Canucks' chances of landing him. Vancouver is like Shangri-La after 8 years in Ottawa, Swedes in general seem to love it here, and the Canucks can really open the bank vault for him.

I wonder if when trades are discussed conditional on signing an extension, what kind of opportunity it is for the acquiring GM to gauge UFA interest in their team?
Aaronp18
MVP
MVP

Post by Aaronp18 »

Blob Mckenzie wrote: Fri May 11, 2018 6:30 am I love Karlsson but you’d have to gut the team to get him. I was a big proponent of acquiring him but would you be willing to trade one of Horvat/Boeser + Juolevi + 2018 7th overall pick? The Canucks just simply don’t have the depth.

Give em Gaudette instead of Horvat/Boeser and we take back a shitty contract.
ESQ
MVP
MVP

Post by ESQ »

Aaronp18 wrote: Fri May 11, 2018 10:38 am
Blob Mckenzie wrote: Fri May 11, 2018 6:30 am I love Karlsson but you’d have to gut the team to get him. I was a big proponent of acquiring him but would you be willing to trade one of Horvat/Boeser + Juolevi + 2018 7th overall pick? The Canucks just simply don’t have the depth.

Give em Gaudette instead of Horvat/Boeser and we take back a shitty contract.
Tough call, but I think young scoring winger prospects is our area of depth, if we can move Boeser to get a perennial Norris finalist, I think you gotta do it. Maybe next year ends up back in the tank without him, but that also gives offensive opportunities to Goldobin, Virtanen, Dahlen, Peterssen, and maybe even Jasek. If just one of those players turns out as projected, then I think its a good move. And there's the crazy possibility that Karlsson replaces Boeser's offensive output!

Here's a question for the armchair GM's: If we can get Karlsson, would you rather roll the dice and offer our next 2 1RPS, or this year's 1RP and Boeser?
SKYO
MVP
MVP

Post by SKYO »

Heard that if you take Bobby Ryan's contract as well with Karlsson, the price goes down a bit.

If the main young pieces were Olli Juolevi + Adam Gaudette + 7th overall + roster player(s) likely Tanev, :o would ya be more inclined to go for it?
Can the Canucks just win a Cup within the next 5 years.
Rede
CC Veteran

Post by Rede »

ESQ wrote: Fri May 11, 2018 10:58 am Here's a question for the armchair GM's: If we can get Karlsson, would you rather roll the dice and offer our next 2 1RPS, or this year's 1RP and Boeser?
#7 and a 1st next year (esp if top 3 protected) over #7 and Boeser for sure. Karlsson is a game changer, we'd probably be in the playoffs next year.
2Fingers
MVP
MVP

Post by 2Fingers »

Rede wrote: Fri May 11, 2018 5:48 pm
ESQ wrote: Fri May 11, 2018 10:58 am Here's a question for the armchair GM's: If we can get Karlsson, would you rather roll the dice and offer our next 2 1RPS, or this year's 1RP and Boeser?
#7 and a 1st next year (esp if top 3 protected) over #7 and Boeser for sure. Karlsson is a game changer, we'd probably be in the playoffs next year.
How?

What do we have that is better than Ottawa? Bloody hell we finally get a forward to score 40 goals and we want to trade him for a d man thinking it will get us into the playoffs.

Wait this team is not close to be ready for a deal like that.
rats19
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by rats19 »

Boeser stays here period...
Silence intelligence so stupid isn’t offended….
2Fingers
MVP
MVP

Post by 2Fingers »

rats19 wrote: Sat May 12, 2018 2:24 pm Boeser stays here period...
Freaking A, people should stop trying to trade the only freaking offence we have.
Mickey107
MVP
MVP

Post by Mickey107 »

#1 option maybe.
#2 never.
"evolution"
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Strangelove »

Reefer2 wrote: Sat May 12, 2018 2:18 pm
How?

What do we have that is better than Ottawa? Bloody hell we finally get a forward to score 40 goals and we want to trade him for a d man thinking it will get us into the playoffs.
Rede said he doesn't want to trade Boeser. :hmmm:

He said your Canucks could possibly make the playoffs with both Boeser and Karlsson.

You really need to work on that reading comprehension Ruffles...
____
Try to focus on someday.
Rede
CC Veteran

Post by Rede »

Reefer2 wrote: Sat May 12, 2018 2:18 pm
How?

Wait this team is not close to be ready for a deal like that.
I was saying the same thing - I could see moving picks for Karlsson if you are going to have guys like Brock, Bo, Petterson, etc in the lineup and think they can produce over the next few years. But Karlsson alone doesn't make a team and if there is no support there he'd just be wasted on the team.

I was suggesting that if we had Karlsson on the back end, Brock and Bo keep doing what they're doing, and some of the other kids can provide some secondary scoring we'd have a decent shot at the playoffs next year.

Karlsson is a 28 year old superstar and you don't get many opportunities to get one of them. From an asset management perspective you'd have to consider the deal if he is on the table for 1st+1st, and will resign here.

It's unlikely he will be on the table for that though...
Mickey107
MVP
MVP

Post by Mickey107 »

The cap is going up but I haven't heard how much the cap basement will have to rise.
That is a factor to teams like Arizona and possibly Ottawa in the not too distant future.
"evolution"
ESQ
MVP
MVP

Post by ESQ »

Its a bit unfair to lump Ottawa in with Arizona as a cap-floor team.

There are really only 2 cap floor teams - Arizona and Carolina. Now that Carolina has sold, we may see more investment in hockey ops. Ottawa finished the year with a middle-of-the-pack salary cap hit, though they barely used Clarke MacArthur's LTIR space.

If the Canucks took MacArthur's salary off of Katz's hands, and either Ryan or Gaborik, then maybe 2x1RP will get Karlsson. I wouldn't mind that - MacArthur will just sit on LTIR for 2 more seasons, Gaborik has 3 years on his contract and will likely play 1 before he's on LTIR, so it wouldn't affect the cap in the critical period of extensions.

But if you do move Boeser to get Karlsson, don't forget that you're giving up an 80-point forward but you're adding a 65- to 80-point defenseman. That is a hell of a lot of offense coming back.