Prediction: Cloutier

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

Will Dan Cloutier be on the roster next training camp?

No, mercifully
50%
Yes, because this organization cowers at the thought of change
50%

Total votes: 24

Jyrki21
CC 1st Team All-Star

Prediction: Cloutier

Post by Jyrki21 »

Will Dave Nonis see what everybody else sees and cut Cloutier loose one way or the other (trade, waivers, buyout) this offseason, or can we expect to see Dan again come next training camp?
Last edited by Jyrki21 on Thu Apr 20, 2006 9:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
the Cunning Linguist
CC 1st Team All-Star

Post by the Cunning Linguist »

This is like Canuckscorner.com Magic 8-ball!
Grizzly
MVP
MVP

Post by Grizzly »

I think Clouts will be back for training camp but .... I don't think he'll make it through the season ... he'll be dealt before Christmas.

Grizz
Jyrki21
CC 1st Team All-Star

Post by Jyrki21 »

Just to be clear, answer the question in the poll itself... I realize there would be opposite implications if you answer the question in the text of my message. Perhaps I'll edit it...
stevethiessen
MVP
MVP

Post by stevethiessen »

no.
Victoriafan
CC Rookie

Post by Victoriafan »

Possibly an unpopular opinion, but my ideal goalie situation would be to trade Auld and re-sign Noronen. It seems that everybody who really supports Auld says "He performed admirably, given the situation" or something like that. But I don't think that Auld is a bonafide #1, nor does he have that potential. Cloutier is a proven #1. Everybody points to bad goals he has let in, but has Auld not let in like, a bad goal every game or two? Clouts didn't let in that many. Platoon Clouts and Noronen in a 50-30 split or so, and lets see what all this talk about Noronen is about. If he's what people say, great, let Cloutier's contract expire or deal him at the deadline. If not, well Cloutier is good enough. We should be able to get a depth goaltender for the AHL (is Flaherty ever going to retire?) for Auld and probably more (picks and prospects).

Maybe I'm insane. But I look at our 3 goalies and think, "Which two make the most sense as a tandem?" And let's not forget that Cloutier is a fiery, competitive, well-respected man in the dressing room while Auld is more quiet. Which personality type do we lack?
MarkMM
CC 1st Team All-Star

Post by MarkMM »

I definitely see your point regarding Cloutier's attitude, but I think Auld and Cloutier are roughly equivalent in capability so far, except that Auld is only 25 and two million cheaper which counts big-time. He also showed progress each season, let's see how good he gets with one more. Definitely intrigued by Noronen's upside.

I do think that we need more fiery attitudes on this team, that'd be something we should look to fill as we replace other players.
Mark
Dual_Citizen
AHL Prospect

Post by Dual_Citizen »

Unfortunately...

Cloutier will be back, as his trade value is not very high. He is an injury-prone, poor playoff performer.

Look for the Canucks to audition his services early on, with Cloutier gone by Christmas.
sk8er
CC 1st Team All-Star

Post by sk8er »

Oh god, if there is justice for Canuck fans trade Cloutier away now! Auld is just learning his craft, and is younger. Give him a chance people! How can people say he is not good enough when this is his first full season and he played way too many games and was bloody well worn out! Any other coach would have spelled him off, but not Crow, play them till they drop is his attitude. I liked what I saw of Noronen in the last game of the season. He may even be the next finnish Kipper.......... ;)
Reverend Smack
CC Veteran

Post by Reverend Smack »

He will be back :mex:
nonis does not have the cahoonas to make major changes, any changes :mex: Damn it DN, fire Crow already :shock: :shock:
The truth may hurt...but it is still the Truth...Have a nice day :)
rikster
MVP
MVP

Post by rikster »

I think if Cloutier is not here at any point next season, it won't be because Auld took his place but because he is moved as part of a deal for a significant upgrade...

I'd take Cloutier over Auld for no other reason than for the emotion and passion he brings and gives to a team that was listless for most of the season....

How ironic that after the contact that caused his season ending injury he comes up swinging and gets his shots in on Niedermeyer who purposely made contact with him...

My oh my how the team needed more of that this season....

Cloutier is a better goalie than Auld.....

With Cloutier they are in the playoffs this season...

I have seen enough of Noronen to form an opinion that he far more athletic than Auld and much quicker around his crease........

I say with Noronen in nets after Cloutier went down the team makes the playoffs......

Had the Nucks kept Johnson over Auld they would have made the playoffs....

Look around the league and see how many teams got better goaltending than the Nucks got.....

Cloutier and Noronen for next season.....

Take care...
Puck
MVP
MVP

Post by Puck »

Good arguments rikster, but looking ahead to next season they they are only valid if Auld's development stops and Cloutier doesn't get injured. You have to admit that neither of those results are very likely.
magnum44
CC Veteran

Post by magnum44 »

I don't think we will have the cap room to carry all 3 into next year and I think Auld and Noronen are both RFA too. I doubt Noronen would be too excited to be part of a 3 man rotation again after last year, and Auld/Cloutier tandem could be an awkward dressing room situation especially with the Crow's one man system (and I think Crow will be back). Oulette is UFA after this year as is Flaherty, but I doubt Auld or Noronen would sign a 2way so somebody is going to have to get moved. I think it will be Auld as his trade value is probably reasonably high (depending on his new contract) and he could be a good deal sweetener in a Bertuzzi trade that getys us back an impact return. At any rate its a good problem for DN to have because proven goalies will be in demand as a lot of the leagues keepers near retirement age and 10teams want to go in a new direction after this years playoffs or have someone solid around while they ween their prospects. I don't think Auld will ever be elite but he can devlop into a sollid consistent goalie that will be a competent starter that moves around the league for years to come and then settle in to a journeyman backup role.