Playoffs

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

2Fingers
MVP
MVP

Re: Playoffs

Post by 2Fingers »

SKYO wrote: Wed Apr 18, 2018 12:32 pm
Aaronp18 wrote: Wed Apr 18, 2018 12:06 pm
Ronning's Ghost wrote: Wed Apr 18, 2018 11:43 am
SKYO wrote: Wed Apr 18, 2018 11:12 am I like to keep analyzing the Vegas team as no team seems to have found a way to beat their depth....
I had previously speculated that in a salary cap league, the better team structure (assuming everyone playing more or less at their cap hit value) might be fewer $10 million and $700,000 players (or maybe none), with mostly $3-4 million players. If the VGK are in fact a test of that model, it will be interesting to see whether they have enough success to inspire imitators.
The only problem with trying to emulate this model is the method in which they acquired players, that is next to impossible to replicate.

In order to maintain (even Vegas) that type of salary structure is to jettison players when they are due for a substantial raise. This is going to mean a higher player turnover rate. I doubt even Vegas could replicate their own success without the ability to pluck from each team without compensation.

It'll be interesting to see how well Vegas does in the next couple years, will they be able to keep up the success or will this be a flash in the pan?
Yeah they probably will lose James Neal this offseason unless they pay him around $6M per, and their success will also hamper their steal of a deals in William Karlsson who will likely demand top cash for his #1C scoring spree, he holds no allegience to Vegas at all, no roots so his agent won't feel like giving them a discount, he should be getting $6.5M - $8.5M per.

And their top scoring dman is also going to command a big raise in Colin Miller.

Plus MAF has one year left till he's a UFA.

They made a mistake though imo, giving up all those drafts picks for Tatar, now they only have a 2nd rounder this draft till the 4th rd, but next year they got a healthy amount of picks and a few 2nd rounders in a couple years.
that is the big thing for Vegas, they win now or run up against the same thing every other team comes up against. Your top scorer wants $6M, give it to them or they walk. Vegas will be up against the cap very quickly.
Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

Post by Chef Boi RD »

Will Janik Hansen see a start against the much faster than the Ducks - Golden Knights?
“Tyler Myers is my guy... I was taking to Scotty Bowman last night and he was bringing up his name, and saying he’s a big guy and big guy need big minutes to play, he is playing great for ya… and I agree with him… He’s been exceptional” - Bruce Boudreau
ESQ
MVP
MVP

Post by ESQ »

Vegas gave up all the picks for Tatar and he was a healthy scratch last night...McPhee walked into the best possible expansion draft situation (New rules and existing franchises has very little notice/time to adapt by giving out fewer NMCs). The hard work starts with keeping it together in normal market conditions.

So far, other than goalies early in the year and the STALWART, they've been very lucky with injuries. I think that flatters their depth somewhat, but it any event next season the depth will be tested.

And oh, so glad they knocked out the Kings on their year of resurgence! I hope all their old NMC players go back into hibernation next year :devil:
Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

Post by Chef Boi RD »

Does Seattle get the same set of favourable expansion draft rules that Vegas got?
“Tyler Myers is my guy... I was taking to Scotty Bowman last night and he was bringing up his name, and saying he’s a big guy and big guy need big minutes to play, he is playing great for ya… and I agree with him… He’s been exceptional” - Bruce Boudreau
Cornuck
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Cornuck »

Just heard from my friend who lives in Vegas (and is a Kings fan):
Sat next to two newer VGK fans who didn't understand sudden death playoff hockey
They asked me how come no 3 on 3 or shootout!! Honest true story
Give them a few more years they'll get it
Vegas doesn't deserve to win another round. :oops:
Doc: "BTW, Donny was right, you're smug."
Aaronp18
MVP
MVP

Post by Aaronp18 »

RoyalDude wrote: Wed Apr 18, 2018 1:24 pm Does Seattle get the same set of favourable expansion draft rules that Vegas got?
Yes
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Strangelove »

Reefer2 wrote: Wed Apr 18, 2018 12:43 pm
SKYO wrote: Wed Apr 18, 2018 12:32 pm
Aaronp18 wrote: Wed Apr 18, 2018 12:06 pm
Ronning's Ghost wrote: Wed Apr 18, 2018 11:43 am
SKYO wrote: Wed Apr 18, 2018 11:12 am I like to keep analyzing the Vegas team as no team seems to have found a way to beat their depth....
I had previously speculated that in a salary cap league, the better team structure (assuming everyone playing more or less at their cap hit value) might be fewer $10 million and $700,000 players (or maybe none), with mostly $3-4 million players. If the VGK are in fact a test of that model, it will be interesting to see whether they have enough success to inspire imitators.
The only problem with trying to emulate this model is the method in which they acquired players, that is next to impossible to replicate.

In order to maintain (even Vegas) that type of salary structure is to jettison players when they are due for a substantial raise. This is going to mean a higher player turnover rate. I doubt even Vegas could replicate their own success without the ability to pluck from each team without compensation.

It'll be interesting to see how well Vegas does in the next couple years, will they be able to keep up the success or will this be a flash in the pan?
Yeah they probably will lose James Neal this offseason unless they pay him around $6M per, and their success will also hamper their steal of a deals in William Karlsson who will likely demand top cash for his #1C scoring spree, he holds no allegience to Vegas at all, no roots so his agent won't feel like giving them a discount, he should be getting $6.5M - $8.5M per.

And their top scoring dman is also going to command a big raise in Colin Miller.

Plus MAF has one year left till he's a UFA.

They made a mistake though imo, giving up all those drafts picks for Tatar, now they only have a 2nd rounder this draft till the 4th rd, but next year they got a healthy amount of picks and a few 2nd rounders in a couple years.
that is the big thing for Vegas, they win now or run up against the same thing every other team comes up against. Your top scorer wants $6M, give it to them or they walk. Vegas will be up against the cap very quickly.
This is all silliness...

https://www.capfriendly.com/teams/goldenknights

The Knights are more than $6M under the cap right now and the cap is going up another ~ $5M next.

They will also have 3 major boat-anchor contracts coming off the books this off-season:

Garrison ($4.6M) + Stoner ($3.25M) + Grabovski ($5M) = $12.85M.

That gives them $24M to spend on FAs like Neal/Perron/Karlsson/Miller/Theodore.

(well minus the $5M in total raises to Marchessault and McNabb)

Add another few million to that if Sbisa walks.

Neal is arguably their 7th/8th best forward and will be 31 this off-season.

I'll bet they let him walk (another $5M off the books)... unless for some reason he agrees to fair money @ short term.

Miller/Perron won't get all that much.

That leaves Karlsson and Theodore and yeah, lotsa cap-space available to wrap them up.

Note Vegas has had no problem re-signing players to team-friendly deals thus far.

Anchors Clarkson ($5.25M) and Eakin ($3.85M) come off the books after another 2 seasons, so they'll be fine moving forward...
____
Try to focus on someday.
rats19
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by rats19 »

Cornuck wrote: Wed Apr 18, 2018 3:00 pm Just heard from my friend who lives in Vegas (and is a Kings fan):
Sat next to two newer VGK fans who didn't understand sudden death playoff hockey
They asked me how come no 3 on 3 or shootout!! Honest true story
Give them a few more years they'll get it
Vegas doesn't deserve to win another round. :oops:
anti Vegas from here on in...they had a great season swept kings first round ..time to get back to reality..

because its not fair thats why!!!!!
Silence intelligence so stupid isn’t offended….
Cornuck
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Cornuck »

rats19 wrote: Wed Apr 18, 2018 3:48 pm anti Vegas from here on in...they had a great season swept kings first round ..time to get back to reality..
Not fair for a first year to team to win - and doubly not fair to get a franchise after I left town! Fuckers.
Doc: "BTW, Donny was right, you're smug."
2Fingers
MVP
MVP

Post by 2Fingers »

Cornuck wrote: Wed Apr 18, 2018 4:26 pm
rats19 wrote: Wed Apr 18, 2018 3:48 pm anti Vegas from here on in...they had a great season swept kings first round ..time to get back to reality..
Not fair for a first year to team to win - and doubly not fair to get a franchise after I left town! Fuckers.
Stupid Vegas - but shows what happens when all the players are on the same page.
Blob Mckenzie
MVP
MVP

Post by Blob Mckenzie »

I hope Vegas wins one more round. Actually if they win that I’d probably cheer for them against Pernell Karl and the Predators if they get past the Jets. And if they won that I’d cheer for them against anyone from the East except the Blue Jackets or Capitals.
“I don’t care what you and some other poster were talking about”
SKYO
MVP
MVP

Post by SKYO »

Vegas team friendly contracts to depth players sure......but Karlsson and Miller should be demanding the moon.

Notably William Karlsson who scored a whopping 78 points this season, that's above Marner, Draisaitl, Laine, Patrick Kane, Barkov and Seguin, and his 43 goals is only below Ovechkin and Laine for 3rd best in the league.

He's 25, so he should be looking to get his big contract now and not a bridge, he should be gunning for Draisaitl, RyJo or Kuznetsov cash if he has a good agent. Sure they can afford it no problem, I'm just saying with success comes a cost.
Can the Canucks just win a Cup within the next 5 years.
Blob Mckenzie
MVP
MVP

Post by Blob Mckenzie »

Yeah I don’t think Karlsson would get Draisityl money. He will get a good chunk though, so will Miller.

Neal and Perron should easily get over 5 million on the open market. Just not sure how many years. I’d be curious to see if Vegas re ups either one. I’d probably keep Perron myself as he is two years younger.
“I don’t care what you and some other poster were talking about”
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Strangelove »

SKYO wrote: Wed Apr 18, 2018 4:55 pm Sure they can afford it no problem, I'm just saying with success comes a cost.
I guess I was responding more to the guy that said: "Vegas will be up against the cap very quickly".
____
Try to focus on someday.
Richardstroker69
MVP
MVP

Post by Richardstroker69 »

Doesn’t Vegas have cheap taxes like Florida as well? I could see a lot of guys signing slightly lower salaries because of the tax benefit of playing there.