So long, farewell, good bye to the Sedins

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

Aaronp18
MVP
MVP

Re: So long, farewell, good bye to the Sedins

Post by Aaronp18 »

Blob Mckenzie wrote: Tue Apr 03, 2018 2:19 pm While they raise the jerseys they can pull down 12, 16 and 19. :lol:
I'd honestly be fine with these guys being re-configured into the ring of honour. Up our standards a bit.
Nuckertuzzi
CC 2nd Team All-Star

Post by Nuckertuzzi »

Blob Mckenzie wrote: Tue Apr 03, 2018 2:19 pm While they raise the jerseys they can pull down 12, 16 and 19. :lol:
;)

Which one of these is not like the other?

10, 12, 19, 16, 22, 33

19 bingo! All the others took me close to the holy grail. I'd maybe take down 12 as well, he got it by default really for being the best player we could boast up to that point..say what you will about him but by far the hardest working sob we've ever had even to this day, not enough for the honour though imho..skills way too limited. I'd keep Trev up there simply because he's one of very select few we've had who actually consistently stepped up their game when it mattered most, in the playoffs. Other than Burr and certainly Pavel, maybe Kes, and maybe the aforementioned Steamer (tho too sml sample size) can't really think of too many others. 19 was the opposite. Only drawback about the Twins as well..certainly an area that could've been better but doesn't overshadow their other accomplishments enough to knock them out of the rafters.
herb
CC Legend

Post by herb »

Aaronp18 wrote: Tue Apr 03, 2018 2:54 pm
I'd honestly be fine with these guys being re-configured into the ring of honour. Up our standards a bit.
Unfortunately, I think we have to kind of wait until they are dead before we can do that.
Topper
CC Legend

Post by Topper »

Blob Mckenzie wrote: Tue Apr 03, 2018 2:19 pm Absolutely the twins numbers should be retired.

While they raise the jerseys they can pull down 12, 16 and 19. :lol:
:cheers: :cheers: :cheers: :cheers:
Over the Internet, you can pretend to be anyone or anything.

I'm amazed that so many people choose to be complete twats.
2Fingers
MVP
MVP

Post by 2Fingers »

Per - what are they saying in Sweden?
Carl Yagro
MVP
MVP

Post by Carl Yagro »

Didn't they unofficially retire, then un-retire, then retire #11?

All things are possible...
The Best GD Canucks Hockey Talk Forum in the World... With Only 18 People!
Topper
CC Legend

Post by Topper »

Hank wrote: Tue Apr 03, 2018 6:04 pm Didn't they unofficially retire, then un-retire, then retire #11?

11, 28, 37, nothing official, but no one is getting those numbers
Over the Internet, you can pretend to be anyone or anything.

I'm amazed that so many people choose to be complete twats.
Carl Yagro
MVP
MVP

Post by Carl Yagro »

Topper wrote: Tue Apr 03, 2018 6:49 pm
Hank wrote: Tue Apr 03, 2018 6:04 pm Didn't they unofficially retire, then un-retire, then retire #11?

Yes... I forgot about those numbers. Maybe even #38?

This is truly sad :cry:
The Best GD Canucks Hockey Talk Forum in the World... With Only 18 People!
Per
MVP
MVP

Post by Per »

One of the very first North American articles on the Sedins, from before they were drafted:

https://www.si.com/vault/1998/12/21/253 ... -the-other

it tells a story of The Shift 0.1, the beta version of what would be known as The Shift was released when the twins were but 18.... :wow:
Probably the sweetest solution came last April in the Europeanjunior championship. Sweden needed at least a four-goal victoryover Russia, or the gold medal would go to archrival Finland.During one shift that already has found its way into Norselegend, the Sedins kept possession against five Russian skatersfor almost two minutes. Henrik finished the first period with agoal and an assist and Daniel with two assists, and Sweden wason its way to a 5-1 win and the title.
Last edited by Per on Wed Apr 04, 2018 9:28 am, edited 1 time in total.
Whatever you do, always give 100 %!
Except when donating blood.
dbr
CC Legend

Post by dbr »

I'm not all that old, but there is a very good possibility that I'll never see another player give as much on the ice to this team (or its fans) as either Sedin has.

Obviously their on ice accomplishments speak for themselves but I can't think of anyone that's ever offered anything but praise for their work and influence off the ice. I guess it's not cool to say anymore but we used to talk about how people like Mike Gillis or Mats Sundin brought a certain culture and expectation to this franchise, and while that might have been true the Sedins embodied it before and after them and any other manager or player in the last twenty years.

The professionalism and sportsmanship they embodied will be sorely missed, and while it didn't overlap with the kind of character many expect from successful (finesse) hockey players, in real a way it's been nicer to cheer for them than for surly hissy fit throwers like Jonathan Toews or Sidney Crosby.

On a personal note, for me this is the end of an era where the team (and the league, largely) has players that I have looked up to. I was well into my 20s by the time Alex Edler - now the oldest Canuck that I will acknowledge here - broke into the league full time. Any success this team has in the future will be earned by players who are, in my eyes, a bunch of friggin children.

Anyway, I hope we'll still see Daniel and Henrik around from time to time. It was a privilege to watch them casually terrorize opposing teams below the dots for so many years.
dbr
CC Legend

Post by dbr »

Topper wrote: Mon Apr 02, 2018 1:49 pmCap space.
Can't wait to see the franchise use most of it to lock into five post-prime years each of Josh Bailey and Mikael Backlund.
Puck
MVP
MVP

Post by Puck »

Scrolling through the Canuck stats, it's shocking to see how few players will end up playing over 70 games this year: 6. It's worrisome that two of these are the guys that are retiring. Here are the players that put up at least 0.40 pts/game over a minumum (apologies for the formatting):
  • Player GP G A P pts/game
     Brock Boeser 62 29 26 55 0.89
     Bo Horvat 62 22 21 43 0.69
     Daniel Sedin 79 21 32 53 0.67
     Henrik Sedin 80 3 45 48 0.60
     Sven Baertschi 53 14 15 29 0.55
     Alex Edler 68 6 26 32 0.47
     Loui Eriksson 50 10 13 23 0.46
     Sam Gagner 72 10 21 31 0.43
     Brandon Sutter 59 11 14 25 0.42

Honourable mention to Goldobin who was promising in a half-season
     Nikolay Goldobin 36 8 6 14 0.39
Looking at this, you would prefer the twins stayed another year. We'll have to trust that their decision to go was as carefully determined as their off-season training plans have been.
Puck
MVP
MVP

Post by Puck »

dbr wrote: Wed Apr 04, 2018 7:37 am I'm not all that old, but there is a very good possibility that I'll never see another player give as much on the ice to this team (or its fans) as either Sedin has.

The professionalism and sportsmanship they embodied will be sorely missed, and while it didn't overlap with the kind of character many expect from successful (finesse) hockey players, in real a way it's been nicer to cheer for them than for surly hissy fit throwers like Jonathan Toews or Sidney Crosby.

Anyway, I hope we'll still see Daniel and Henrik around from time to time. It was a privilege to watch them casually terrorize opposing teams below the dots for so many years.
Agreed, dbr. I've thought for a long time that if your kid grew up to be as dedicated, hard-working, classy, generous and successful as the Sedins you'd be extremely proud. I should add self-confident in there too, but the list was already becoming a bit excessive.
Blob Mckenzie
MVP
MVP

Post by Blob Mckenzie »

Topper wrote: Tue Apr 03, 2018 6:49 pm

So what about Rick Blights # 8 ?
“I don’t care what you and some other poster were talking about”
Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

Post by Chef Boi RD »

Rick "Headly" Blight.

"Head! Move!" - Mike Myers - I married an axe murderer
“Tyler Myers is my guy... I was taking to Scotty Bowman last night and he was bringing up his name, and saying he’s a big guy and big guy need big minutes to play, he is playing great for ya… and I agree with him… He’s been exceptional” - Bruce Boudreau