Canucks News and Notes 2017-2018

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

Hockey Widow
CC Legend

Re: Canucks News and Notes 2017-2018

Post by Hockey Widow »

vic wrote: Fri Mar 30, 2018 5:08 pm Demko called up. Rick Dhaliwal reporting he may play tomorrow vs CBJ.

Allegedly Nilsson has the flu that has been making its way through the dressing room. Canucks are unsure, with Saturdays afternoon start, if Nilsson can dress as the back up. Canucks recalled Demko on an emergency basis given the turnaround time to game start and the travel time to get to Vancouver.

Makes me wonder why you recall anyone from Utica, who are playoff bound, and risk spreading the flu to the Comets.

Be that as it may, Dhaliwal was told by someone on the Canucks not to be surprised to see Demk play. Unsaid? Because the flu is going around the dressing room.

It sure is another reason to watch though isn't it. Even if he just dresses and backs up it will be his first NHL game.
The only HW the Canucks need
lostinarink
CC 2nd Team All-Star

Lukas Jasek

Post by lostinarink »

Interesting to hear that Lukas has now landed in Utica.

I remember watching him at a very young 18 year old at the first Shawnigan prospects camp. He definitely stood out as the most exciting player there. Speed, puck handling, and effort work his calling cards at that camp. (Only other ones to stand out were McCann for his McCanon of a shot, and Suban, for his ability to land on his ass when trying to go around the whole of the opposition).

I felt at that time that he had excellent offensive potential. The issue was size and strength. Think of his build as a 6 ft 165 lb version of Petterson - SKINNY.

Now only 20, his first full season with the Czech Elite showed promise but did not light the league on fire. AHL seasoning and strength will be needed. Hopefully he can become an offensive leader in Utica next year. He has been offensively dominant in all leagues lower than the Elite. Question is - Can he continue to grow and excel in the AHL and NHL? If not, can he develop his defensive side and become a Jannick Hansen-like player? Or will he be another bust where potential does not equal success?

http://www.uticaod.com/news/20180330/de ... pect-jasek
ukcanuck
MVP
MVP

Post by ukcanuck »

So it’s official. Say good bye Daniel and Henrik guess they got tired of losing...
Meds
MVP
MVP

Post by Meds »

ukcanuck
MVP
MVP

Post by ukcanuck »

rats19
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by rats19 »

Well how about that. They don’t owe us anything and we don’t owe them anything either.

Class acts and proud to have had them their entire career...

Thanks Henrik and Daniel Sedin
Silence intelligence so stupid isn’t offended….
Jovocop
CC Legend

Post by Jovocop »

rats19 wrote: Mon Apr 02, 2018 9:57 am Well how about that. They don’t owe us anything and we don’t owe them anything either.

Class acts and proud to have had them their entire career...

Thanks Henrik and Daniel Sedin
Well said, they are certainly class acts. It probably is the right time to retire. Hopefully, they can stay in the organization as assistant coaches or scouts after taking some times off.
Cousin Strawberry
MVP
MVP

Post by Cousin Strawberry »

Some serious cap cash just opened up...who's out there going UFA?
If you need air...call it in
Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

Post by Chef Boi RD »

End of an era, sad to see it close. Didn't the message board world kinda start around when the Sedins started? Seems like we've talking Sedins forever. Feels like something being taken away from me.

The two greatest Canucks of all time, just hope Brock and Bo etc can carry on that class and jersey pride they spoiled us for the last, almost 2 decades. They were the glue of the room. Important that their class carries on after they are gone.
“Tyler Myers is my guy... I was taking to Scotty Bowman last night and he was bringing up his name, and saying he’s a big guy and big guy need big minutes to play, he is playing great for ya… and I agree with him… He’s been exceptional” - Bruce Boudreau
Blob Mckenzie
MVP
MVP

Post by Blob Mckenzie »

Good on them not to hang around past their due date. Pure class all the way.
“I don’t care what you and some other poster were talking about”
Lancer
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Lancer »

The question now will be who will really remain the mentors/leaders/culture-carriers management talks about with the twins gone. Edler? Sutter? Gagner? Yeesh, Jokinen even?

I would love to have added Dorsett. Too bad it was him and not Sutter who had to medically retire. IMO, Sutter's a douche who likes to talk the talk of a vet, but who can't back his shit up on the ice. If I'm a kid looking at his act why would I give his bullshit the time of day?

I don't see much help coming with this summer's FA crop. The cap room left the by Twins could, however, facilitate a trade. I'll let Skyo chew on that and come up with something. Maybe now that his Swedish homies are gone, Edler will become more amenable to getting traded. Maybe make a play for John Carlson?

Great that two spots open up on the roster. Too bad it wasn't some other names instead. What is Gagner going to do now to produce???

I know it's only two roster spots, but it appears Linden and Benning have a chance to make some bold moves to transition into the post-Sedin era.
Love the Sport. Love the Team.

Hate the League.
Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

Post by Chef Boi RD »

Carlson fits the biggest need, focus no. 1. Kick the tires on Tavares even though most know that Vancouver is nowhere on his radar, then last resort Evander Kane, but seriously Defence is no. 1. Go big on Carlson
“Tyler Myers is my guy... I was taking to Scotty Bowman last night and he was bringing up his name, and saying he’s a big guy and big guy need big minutes to play, he is playing great for ya… and I agree with him… He’s been exceptional” - Bruce Boudreau
ESQ
MVP
MVP

Post by ESQ »

RoyalDude wrote: Mon Apr 02, 2018 11:25 am Carlson fits the biggest need, focus no. 1. Kick the tires on Tavares even though most know that Vancouver is nowhere on his radar, then last resort Evander Kane, but seriously Defence is no. 1. Go big on Carlson
I dunno, Carlson has a shot at becoming the highest-paid defenseman in the NHL with his 60+ points, 25 min TOI/G in this season. He's for sure signing for 7 years.

But he's 28, and in non-contract years is more of a 35-point dman on one of the most offense-producing teams in the league.

I'd rather look at the 2nd-tier dmen: Toby Enstrom, Jack Johnson, Mike Green. I think Green in particular will be a potential bargain coming off back surgery.
Diehard1
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Diehard1 »

Will definitely miss the twins, they were two of the three best ever IMHO (Bure) and easily did it the longest, with the highest level of professionalism possible. Great to see them going out on a high note, they will be missed and I will enjoy watching them in their final 3 games for the team. Hopefully we see a classic Sedin moment or two.

On the note of moving forward, Carlson would be good but he's going to be very expensive and gets a ton of his points on the PP with Ovechkin. Yes that's needed here, just not sure he's a $8-$9 million a year guy which is what he'll cost to get him here, minimum. Not too many middle aged vets want to play for a team that will likely have another year or two in the basement. My guess is we'll see more middle of the road FAs coming on board for 1-2 year overpayments just as we've seen the last couple of years. There will be lots of players fighting for spots, so lots of competition next season even if it's not the strongest competition in the world.
Madcombinepilot
MVP
MVP

Post by Madcombinepilot »

Uncle dans leg wrote: Mon Apr 02, 2018 10:31 am Some serious cap cash just opened up...who's out there going UFA?
that cash was opening up anyways.. contract was up.

They are pure class acts. I wish they were staying for 1 more year while we flush out the Gagne/Granlund's, but They have totally earned the right to make their own choices. I just hope the media isn't influencing that choice.
The 'Chain of Command' is the chain I am going to beat you with until you understand I am in charge.