Canucks Young Guns

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

Hockey Widow
CC Legend

Re: Canucks Young Guns

Post by Hockey Widow »

TDA Rum wrote: Tue Mar 20, 2018 7:59 pm
Hockey Widow wrote: Tue Mar 20, 2018 7:56 pm 3 FA Dmen from NCAA the Canucks have interest in are:

Zack Whitecloud
Colton Poolman
Brady Keeper.

Have at it.
Zach Whitecloud signed with Vegas 2 weeks ago...

Thanks. Old news I guess, we’ll at least two weeks old :mrgreen:

But they are interested in the other two.
The only HW the Canucks need
Topper
CC Legend

Post by Topper »

When HW says Poolman is a Keeper, not a dark cloud in the sky.
Over the Internet, you can pretend to be anyone or anything.

I'm amazed that so many people choose to be complete twats.
Hockey Widow
CC Legend

Post by Hockey Widow »

Just wondering if anyone has any insight into the two or are we going down the Stetcher/Hutton experiment.

The Canucks have decided to not offer contracts to Abols and a couple of other wanna be’s. Clearing the deck.
The only HW the Canucks need
TDA Rum
CC 1st Team All-Star

Post by TDA Rum »

Hockey Widow wrote: Wed Mar 21, 2018 8:24 am Just wondering if anyone has any insight into the two or are we going down the Stetcher/Hutton experiment.

The Canucks have decided to not offer contracts to Abols and a couple of other wanna be’s. Clearing the deck.
Brady Keeper, Right Defence, University of Maine, 6’2″ 194 lbs, Freshman
Keeper has put up six goals and 20 points in 35 games in his first year of NCAA hockey. Just a freshman, he could stay in school if the offers are not good enough to knock his socks off. He has also put up 86 penalty minutes. Keeper is very physical in the defensive end of the ice but will need to learn where to draw the line and stay disciplined. He is a two-way defender with the stickhandling and speed to lead and join the rush, and get back defensively. Keeper has a good wrist shot and quick release, as well as powerful slapshot.

GRAND FORKS — In elementary school, Colton Poolman's class had a reading contest.

The reward was simple—a candy bar or a soda—but Poolman went all in. He read as much as he could.

The habit stuck.

Poolman dove into book series, like Harry Potter, as he got older.

When he was bored playing junior hockey, he either read books at his apartment or tried to teach himself how to play guitar.

"He's a low-key guy," said Dixon Bowen, who has known Poolman since childhood and lived with him for a year in Penticton, B.C. "He'd always come home and play guitar or read books."

His father, Mark, said: "He really enjoys learning things. It's not that other kids don't, but I think he actually enjoys learning new things and implementing them in different conversations."

Poolman's penchant for learning carries over to the ice, too, where he has become one of the most reliable players for No. 6 University of North Dakota, which hosts No. 10 Western Michigan in a two-game series this weekend in Ralph Engelstad Arena (7:37 p.m. Friday, Dec. 1, and 7:07 p.m. Saturday, Dec. 2).

Poolman leads the team in plus-minus rating at plus-8. He has been on the ice for 15 even-strength goals—most of any player on the team. Defensively, he leads the team in blocked shots with 27, ranking fifth in the National Collegiate Hockey Conference in that category.

"He's been a rock back there, playing heavy minutes in all situations," UND coach Brad Berry said. "He's very reliable and dependable when he's on the ice and now he's adding offense to our group, smartly, from the back end."

In the last three weeks, Poolman leads the team in goals (three), assists (three) and points (six).

His defensive pairing with Christian Wolanin has accounted for 31 percent of UND's goals and 23 percent of the team's points during that timespan.

"I think I'm just trying to play a simple solid role, be solid in my own end, make sure to get pucks out and up to the forwards and make sure you do all the little things," Poolman said. "Once all that is done, you can start trying to create a little more offense for the team. Keep doing the little things, because those turn into the bigger things.

"The forwards have been doing a great job getting to the net and providing traffic. That always helps out when you're trying to get stuff through from the point. Playing with Wolanin definitely helps. He creates a lot of space for me out there and he can see the ice so well sometimes. Just having him out there on the ice creates so much for everyone."

Poolman's play has been a huge boost to the 8-4-4 Fighting Hawks, who lost his older brother, Tucker, to the Winnipeg Jets in the offseason. Tucker was the team's top defenseman last season, earning All-American honors.

Different players

Although Colton and Tucker may be brothers, but they are different in a lot of ways.

Colton shoots left-handed, Tucker right. At 6-foot-1, Colton doesn't quite have the same range or slap shot as the 6-foot-3 Tucker, who was a major threat on the power play. While Tucker was extremely laid back no matter the situation, Colton has a little more fire.

Their contrasts made them a perfect match as UND's top defensive pairing last season.

Berry moved the brothers together after Christmas break and they immediately flourished, helping UND knock off Union on the road in their first game together.

For the second half of the season, Poolman got used to playing against opponents' top players, giving him a taste of what was to come this season.

He's now averaging about 24 or 25 minutes per night, being asked to play in all situations.

Poolman has also scored key goals in each of the last three weekends.

Against Miami, he blasted a point shot through traffic.

In UND's upset over No. 1 Denver, he sniped a shot on a three-on-two rush from the right circle to tie the game 3-3 in the third period. UND earlier trailed 3-0 and went on to win 5-4.

Last weekend, he stick-handled around a Union defenseman in the left circle and picked the corner of the net with a wrist shot during UND's 2-2 tie.

"He's scored some pretty dynamic goals," Berry said. "He's not only being evasive but also getting accurate shots to the net. The goals he's scoring are goal-scorer's goals."

Bright future

Poolman was undrafted and opted not to attend any NHL development camps last summer.

But at this rate, he'll soon attract NHL interest—just like his older brother.

And while his reading habit has been limited to textbooks lately—he's an entrepreneurship major—Poolman has still been eager to learn both on and off the ice.

"He's very smart," Berry said. "He knows the next play. Whether he has the puck or not, he knows what the next play is going to be. He's very smart in that regard."
SKYO
MVP
MVP

Post by SKYO »

Per wrote: Tue Mar 20, 2018 3:04 pm Shockingly, Brynäs won tonight. They finished tenth inthe regular season, Växjö finished first.
Most people expected a clean sweep. But hockey is hockey.

Brynäs obviously knew they had to keep Elias in check, so he found himself lying down on the ice a lot, and he never had any room for his patented dekes dangles and shots. There was always a check on him. Except for the last five minutes, then he finally got a chance to fire his cannon, twice even, but there was a massive forest of Brynäs players in front of the goal, and Växjö just could not get it in.
Good info Per, glad Elias Pettersson is playing vs a fired up - heated team whose purpose is to shutdown Pettersson, like Travis Green always says it's good when a player can go through adversity, EP is going through that now, it's what all the greats in the NHL go through in the playoffs, but like champs they are clutch when they always get those few opportunities every game to score and snipe one in - when it matters..

This should help him be a better player & to know what he needs to work on over the offseason to be ready for the quicker/faster National Hockey League.
Can the Canucks just win a Cup within the next 5 years.
SKYO
MVP
MVP

Post by SKYO »

TDA Rum wrote: Wed Mar 21, 2018 9:23 am
Hockey Widow wrote: Wed Mar 21, 2018 8:24 am Just wondering if anyone has any insight into the two or are we going down the Stetcher/Hutton experiment.

Brady Keeper, Right Defence, University of Maine, 6’2″ 194 lbs, Freshman
Keeper has put up six goals and 20 points in 35 games in his first year of NCAA hockey. Just a freshman, he could stay in school if the offers are not good enough to knock his socks off. He has also put up 86 penalty minutes. Keeper is very physical in the defensive end of the ice but will need to learn where to draw the line and stay disciplined. He is a two-way defender with the stickhandling and speed to lead and join the rush, and get back defensively. Keeper has a good wrist shot and quick release, as well as powerful slapshot.

[Poolman]
"He's a low-key guy," said Dixon Bowen, who has known Poolman since childhood and lived with him for a year in Penticton, B.C. "He'd always come home and play guitar or read books."

"I think I'm just trying to play a simple solid role, be solid in my own end, make sure to get pucks out and up to the forwards and make sure you do all the little things," Poolman said. "Once all that is done, you can start trying to create a little more offense for the team. Keep doing the little things, because those turn into the bigger things.
I think I'd prefer Keeper, I'd rather have a dman that you have to try to tame a bit rather than try to force a dman to play more physical like Hutton who has the big bod, but shy's away from physical play.

Poolman seems like a Chatfield no? low-key, keep it simple in the D-zone.
Blob Mckenzie
MVP
MVP

Post by Blob Mckenzie »

How many of these college ufa actually turn out ? For every Chris Tanev there are two dozen scrubs toiling away in various levels of the minors. I guess Aston Reese is looking decent. He is also on an offensive juggernaut that has two of the best players in the world and back to back cups.
“I don’t care what you and some other poster were talking about”
SKYO
MVP
MVP

Post by SKYO »

Blob Mckenzie wrote: Wed Mar 21, 2018 10:51 am How many of these college ufa actually turn out ? For every Chris Tanev there are two dozen scrubs toiling away in various levels of the minors. I guess Aston Reese is looking decent. He is also on an offensive juggernaut that has two of the best players in the world and back to back cups.
Yeah but it's a low risk move, and in my humble opinion due to lack of canucks defensive prospects, it's a good cheap way to try to shore up your d-prospects by signing a free college free agent.
Cornuck
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Cornuck »

SKYO wrote: Wed Mar 21, 2018 11:05 am it's a good cheap way to try to shore up your d-prospects by signing a free college free agent.
Exactly - it's essentially a free draft pick. Late round maybe - but when you can pick up assets without losing players, you need to try.
Doc: "BTW, Donny was right, you're smug."
Cornuck
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Cornuck »

So DiPietro finished his season - 7 shutouts in 56 games - GAA 2.79 - S% 0.910
Played in all but 12 games for the .500 Spitfires. For comparison, the other Windsor goalies at S% of .894 and .843 (and no shutouts).
Blob Mckenzie
MVP
MVP

Post by Blob Mckenzie »

Cornuck wrote: Wed Mar 21, 2018 12:14 pm
SKYO wrote: Wed Mar 21, 2018 11:05 am it's a good cheap way to try to shore up your d-prospects by signing a free college free agent.
Exactly - it's essentially a free draft pick. Late round maybe - but when you can pick up assets without losing players, you need to try.
And yet there are some in this board who rail against trading old scrubs for late round picks because all Jimbro needs are the 7 allotted picks and think trading 2nds and 3rds for shitty 22-23 year olds is a grand idea. 8-)
Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

Post by Chef Boi RD »

Cornuck wrote: Wed Mar 21, 2018 3:27 pm So DiPietro finished his season - 7 shutouts in 56 games - GAA 2.79 - S% 0.910
Played in all but 12 games for the .500 Spitfires. For comparison, the other Windsor goalies at S% of .894 and .843 (and no shutouts).
DiPietro was in tough the last bit of the season due to the GM selling for futures. Faired well, considering the team in front of him
“Tyler Myers is my guy... I was taking to Scotty Bowman last night and he was bringing up his name, and saying he’s a big guy and big guy need big minutes to play, he is playing great for ya… and I agree with him… He’s been exceptional” - Bruce Boudreau
Cornuck
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Cornuck »

RoyalDude wrote: Wed Mar 21, 2018 5:51 pm
Cornuck wrote: Wed Mar 21, 2018 3:27 pm So DiPietro finished his season - 7 shutouts in 56 games - GAA 2.79 - S% 0.910
DiPietro was in tough the last bit of the season due to the GM selling for futures. Faired well, considering the team in front of him
I had a hunch something was going on - I don't have time to follow and hunt down hockey news, but the team dropped about 30 points from last year - and I like to look at save percentage from goalies on the same team, as a big difference can usually indicate relative talent.

Still wondering what the timeline is for our goalie pipeline. I don't see any reason to rush a kid just to be abandoned by our current crop on D.
Blob Mckenzie
MVP
MVP

Post by Blob Mckenzie »

Yeah,I don’t know if you even want Demko up here next year. This team is going to end up almost 40 points out of the playoffs this year. So even with a solid improvement which may or may not happen, they will still miss by 20 or 25 points. Let Markstrom and Nilsson get lit up
Cornuck
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Cornuck »

The only reason I would want Demko up here is the stop the first fucking shot of the game. It would be nice not to start every damn game behind the eight ball.