Trades made - Trade Deadline Day 2018

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

User avatar
Todd Bersnoozi
CC Hall of Fan Member
Posts: 2459
Joined: Wed Oct 12, 2005 4:14 pm

Re: Trades made - Trade Deadline Day 2018

Post by Todd Bersnoozi » Wed Feb 28, 2018 1:28 am

Meds wrote:
Wed Feb 28, 2018 1:22 am
Todd Bersnoozi wrote:
Wed Feb 28, 2018 12:54 am
Vanek in his prime was a consistent 30-40G man.
He was? I see 4 seasons where he was in that range. 25-30 goals consistently. But not 40.
In his prime years, so basically his Buffalo days. Bit of a drop off after he left the Sabres.

User avatar
Meds
CC Legend
Posts: 6619
Joined: Mon Jul 11, 2011 8:50 pm

Re: Trades made - Trade Deadline Day 2018

Post by Meds » Wed Feb 28, 2018 1:36 am

Todd Bersnoozi wrote:
Wed Feb 28, 2018 1:28 am
Meds wrote:
Wed Feb 28, 2018 1:22 am
Todd Bersnoozi wrote:
Wed Feb 28, 2018 12:54 am
Vanek in his prime was a consistent 30-40G man.
He was? I see 4 seasons where he was in that range. 25-30 goals consistently. But not 40.
In his prime years, so basically his Buffalo days. Bit of a drop off after he left the Sabres.
He hit the 40 goal mark twice. In his 2nd and 4th seasons.

He hit the 30 goal mark twice. In his 3rd and 7th seasons.

Other than those years he has been a goal scorer who tallied in the 20s.

4 out of 13 seasons. Do you even look at stats before you throw them around?

User avatar
Todd Bersnoozi
CC Hall of Fan Member
Posts: 2459
Joined: Wed Oct 12, 2005 4:14 pm

Re: Trades made - Trade Deadline Day 2018

Post by Todd Bersnoozi » Wed Feb 28, 2018 1:42 am

Meds wrote:
Wed Feb 28, 2018 1:36 am
4 out of 13 seasons. Do you even look at stats before you throw them around?
I said 2X in his PRIME. Do u even bother reading key words b4 responding?

User avatar
Meds
CC Legend
Posts: 6619
Joined: Mon Jul 11, 2011 8:50 pm

Re: Trades made - Trade Deadline Day 2018

Post by Meds » Wed Feb 28, 2018 9:00 am

Todd Bersnoozi wrote:
Wed Feb 28, 2018 1:42 am
Meds wrote:
Wed Feb 28, 2018 1:36 am
4 out of 13 seasons. Do you even look at stats before you throw them around?
I said 2X in his PRIME. Do u even bother reading key words b4 responding?
A top forwards prime is usually from 22-32 (ish). Roughly 10 years. You said he did something consistently. But 4/10 is not consistent, it’s below 50%.

User avatar
Reefer2
MVP
MVP
Posts: 4961
Joined: Wed Jan 04, 2012 8:47 am

Re: Trades made - Trade Deadline Day 2018

Post by Reefer2 » Wed Feb 28, 2018 9:06 am

Diehard1 wrote:
Wed Feb 28, 2018 12:14 am
DH most excellent post
Strange response

insult

something something something

another insult - link

something something something highlighted in red

something about your mother

nice insult

:thumbs:

Man I crack myself up.

User avatar
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP
Posts: 21440
Joined: Sat Dec 18, 2004 1:13 pm
Location: Lake Vostok

Re: Trades made - Trade Deadline Day 2018

Post by Strangelove » Wed Feb 28, 2018 2:42 pm

Reefer2 wrote:
Wed Feb 28, 2018 9:06 am
Man I crack myself up.
Lowbrow humour...
____
GO CANUCKS GO!!!

User avatar
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP
Posts: 21440
Joined: Sat Dec 18, 2004 1:13 pm
Location: Lake Vostok

Re: Trades made - Trade Deadline Day 2018

Post by Strangelove » Wed Feb 28, 2018 2:48 pm

Diehard1 wrote:
Wed Feb 28, 2018 12:14 am
Relax man, I have a full time job, young family and not all the time in the world to be on message boards. I apologize if I haven’t responded quickly enough or thoroughly enough for you...
Not "quickly enough or thoroughly enough"? :crazy:

Dude, my point was you didn't respond AT ALL

... then you continued with your "Why oh why are people okay with Benning" raving

... while continuing to express the same concerns over and over as if they hadn't already been addressed.

I call that fingers-in-ears ranting!

(you're doing it because you're panicking bro)

Diehard1 wrote:
Wed Feb 28, 2018 12:14 am
You are right, it wasn’t a 2nd straight up in the Sutter deal, never said it was.
You said: "a 2nd along with Bonino for a worse player in Sutter".

Clarification was necessary.

Diehard1 wrote:
Wed Feb 28, 2018 12:14 am
I’m not going to give Benning credit for a pick he had nothing to do with - Torts was a Gillis/Aquilini here and the pick was compensation for him, how does a Benning deserve any credit at all for that? To say it took some pressure off is disingenuous and makes little sense given they’ve shown no disposition to try and gain picks to date.
What I'm saying is, when you're gifted a 2nd round pick in the 2017 draft there is less need to acquire more picks.

You keep saying "11 draft picks out, 9 draft picks in"... that's deceptive.

Lord Benning has been here for 4 drafts and has drafted 28 times... so he's broken even so far.

Diehard1 wrote:
Wed Feb 28, 2018 12:14 am
As for Hamhuis and Vrbata, it’s been said by those who should be in the know that a 3rd was on the table for Hamhuis. Link:

http://theprovince.com/sports/hockey/nh ... uddy-thing
The rumourmonger Botch, as part of that rumour, claimed that Benning had that deal in place but Aquaman nixed it.

So if you're going to run with that rumour... you can't blame Benning here. (can’t have it both ways)

Diehard1 wrote:
Wed Feb 28, 2018 12:14 am
Vrbata was a Benning signing so if you are saying Benning’s hands were tied, Benning tied them himself. Can’t have it both ways.
Vrbata wasn't going to sign as a UFA here without a modified NTC (he had other offers).

What I'm saying is that he most likely would have waived it

... because wasn't getting along with Willie and his numbers were slipping, not good when an impending UFA...

BUT his wife was on the verge of childbirth so understandably he didn't want to leave town.

That's not Benning's fault, that's not Vrbata's fault, that's just life.

Diehard1 wrote:
Wed Feb 28, 2018 12:14 am
Benning and Linden keep saying they want to get younger, more competitive, don’t want a losing culture, and love draft picks. Let’s go with indisputable facts:

- Linden Vey for a 2nd is getting older
- Dorsett for a 3rd is older
- Garrison, Costello and 7th for 2nd - getting younger. Whoops, traded it for Vey so check that. Will give it to you.
- Mallet and 3rd for Pedan, older
- Forsling for Clendening, older
- Baertschi for 2nd, older - and Andersson is worth Baertschi easily, have you seen him play? I assume not. For sure an NHL player
- Lack for picks, younger
- McNally for 7th, younger
- Bieksa for 2nd, younger then traded in the Sutter deal
- Kassian plus 5th for Prust, older
- Bonino, Clendening, 2nd for Sutter, 3rd - saw off given Clendening is awful, and Sutter and Bonino are the same age
- Granlund for Shink, older, even if Granlund is a better player
- Larsen for 5th, older
- Guddy, 5th for McCann, 2nd, 4th - older
- Burr for a Dahlen, younger (great trade)
- Hansen for Goldy, 4th - younger
- Pouliot for Pedan, 4th, saw off, same age
- Dowd for Subban, older
- Motte, Jokinen for Vanek - will give you younger here even if Vanek and Jokinen are both old
- Leipsic for Holm, younger
I’m tempted to play this game because I’m confident I could beat you at your own game BUT

… I’m not going to because there are two fatal flaws in your logic:

1). A team does not “get younger” every time they trade a player for a pick

… due to the fact most picks do not become players.

2). The big picture goal is not to “get younger” but rather to build a new core that can challenge for the Cup.

(it’s easy for any team to simply “get younger”)

Speaking of the big picture, Canucks have gone from one of the oldest teams in the league to one of the youngest under GMJB

… and on the very day Sedins hang up their skates, the team becomes vastly younger still.

Try to focus on the big picture…

Diehard1 wrote:
Wed Feb 28, 2018 12:14 am
Picks

11 out (2nd, 2nd, 2nd, 3rd, 3rd, 3rd, 4th, 5th, 5th, 6th, 7th)
9 in (1st, 2nd, 2nd, 3rd, 3rd, 3rd, 4th, 5th, 7th)
Again, you're not counting one of the "in" picks - a 2nd rounder.

Again, you're counting the just-six-picks-so-far in a draft that is yet to come (who knows how many he'll end up with).

It's much less confusing to say GMJB has thus far drafted exactly the average number of times.

He's not down by two, he's broken even thus far.

Panicking Canuck fans make me laugh...

Diehard1 wrote:
Wed Feb 28, 2018 12:14 am
Record

- worst 3 year stretch in team history
- 2nd worst team in the league, points wise, over the last 3 years
- progressively getting worse each subsequent season in number of points
It's called a rebuild, try to focus on the big picture...

Diehard1 wrote:
Wed Feb 28, 2018 12:14 am
I like Benning, seems like a nice guy and I’m rooting for him. He’s not giving me much to go on here!
It's you, not him... you're panicking.

Diehard1 wrote:
Wed Feb 28, 2018 12:14 am
Nevermind the fact that the PR around this team has been handled about as poorly as you could possibly imagine, I’m amazed at how badly they’ve lost the plot. It’s like they don’t think at all when they speak then always have to go back and clarify points later. I’ve never seen it with another team on a consistent basis.
That's just you panicking...

Diehard1 wrote:
Wed Feb 28, 2018 12:14 am
Believe me I’m trying to see your point of view and I just don’t get it.
That's because you're panicking...

Diehard1 wrote:
Wed Feb 28, 2018 12:14 am
Can we name a team in the cap era that has rebuilt on the fly?
"Rebuilt on the fly" was just a PR catchphrase to help ticket sales...

Diehard1 wrote:
Wed Feb 28, 2018 12:14 am
I really hope I’m totally off base on this
Don't worry, you are. :wink:

Diehard1 wrote:
Wed Feb 28, 2018 12:14 am
Now if I missed anything too bad, that’s all the time I have. :D
IMHO you should spend more of that precious little time reading the Great Strangelove

... and less time reading what the many, many panickers are writing. :D

Years ago it was predicted by most that Canuck fans in general could never handle a rebuild.

And now here we are. :mex:
____
GO CANUCKS GO!!!

User avatar
Topper
CC Legend
Posts: 10895
Joined: Wed Sep 15, 2004 8:11 pm
Location: Earth, most days.

Re: Trades made - Trade Deadline Day 2018

Post by Topper » Wed Feb 28, 2018 2:58 pm

Strangelove wrote:
Wed Feb 28, 2018 2:42 pm
Reefer2 wrote:
Wed Feb 28, 2018 9:06 am
Man I crack myself up.
Lowbrow humour...
plumbing the depths
Over the Internet, you can pretend to be anyone or anything.

I'm amazed that so many people choose to be complete twats.

User avatar
Topper
CC Legend
Posts: 10895
Joined: Wed Sep 15, 2004 8:11 pm
Location: Earth, most days.

Re: Trades made - Trade Deadline Day 2018

Post by Topper » Wed Feb 28, 2018 3:04 pm

Reefer2 wrote:
Wed Feb 28, 2018 9:06 am
Man I crack myself up.
Tying Bubbles shoes.
Over the Internet, you can pretend to be anyone or anything.

I'm amazed that so many people choose to be complete twats.

Diehard1
CC Hall of Fan Member
Posts: 1517
Joined: Mon Jul 11, 2011 7:48 am

Re: Trades made - Trade Deadline Day 2018

Post by Diehard1 » Wed Feb 28, 2018 5:33 pm

Strangelove wrote:
Wed Feb 28, 2018 2:48 pm
Diehard1 wrote:
Wed Feb 28, 2018 12:14 am
Relax man, I have a full time job, young family and not all the time in the world to be on message boards. I apologize if I haven’t responded quickly enough or thoroughly enough for you...
Not "quickly enough or thoroughly enough"? :crazy:

Dude, my point was you didn't respond AT ALL

... then you continued with your "Why oh why are people okay with Benning" raving

... while continuing to express the same concerns over and over as if they hadn't already been addressed.

I call that fingers-in-ears ranting!

(you're doing it because you're panicking bro)

Diehard1 wrote:
Wed Feb 28, 2018 12:14 am
You are right, it wasn’t a 2nd straight up in the Sutter deal, never said it was.
You said: "a 2nd along with Bonino for a worse player in Sutter".

Clarification was necessary.

Diehard1 wrote:
Wed Feb 28, 2018 12:14 am
I’m not going to give Benning credit for a pick he had nothing to do with - Torts was a Gillis/Aquilini here and the pick was compensation for him, how does a Benning deserve any credit at all for that? To say it took some pressure off is disingenuous and makes little sense given they’ve shown no disposition to try and gain picks to date.
What I'm saying is, when you're gifted a 2nd round pick in the 2017 draft there is less need to acquire more picks.

You keep saying "11 draft picks out, 9 draft picks in"... that's deceptive.

Lord Benning has been here for 4 drafts and has drafted 28 times... so he's broken even so far.

Diehard1 wrote:
Wed Feb 28, 2018 12:14 am
As for Hamhuis and Vrbata, it’s been said by those who should be in the know that a 3rd was on the table for Hamhuis. Link:

http://theprovince.com/sports/hockey/nh ... uddy-thing
The rumourmonger Botch, as part of that rumour, claimed that Benning had the deal in place but Aquaman nixed it.

So if you're going to run with that rumour... you can't blame Benning here. (can’t have it both ways)

Diehard1 wrote:
Wed Feb 28, 2018 12:14 am
Vrbata was a Benning signing so if you are saying Benning’s hands were tied, Benning tied them himself. Can’t have it both ways.
Vrbata wasn't going to sign as a UFA here without a modified NTC (he had other offers).

What I'm saying is that he most likely would have waived it

... because wasn't getting along with Willie and his numbers were slipping, not good when an impending UFA...

BUT his wife was on the verge of childbirth so understandably he didn't want to leave town.

That's not Benning's fault, that's not Vrbata's fault, that's just life.

Diehard1 wrote:
Wed Feb 28, 2018 12:14 am
Benning and Linden keep saying they want to get younger, more competitive, don’t want a losing culture, and love draft picks. Let’s go with indisputable facts:

- Linden Vey for a 2nd is getting older
- Dorsett for a 3rd is older
- Garrison, Costello and 7th for 2nd - getting younger. Whoops, traded it for Vey so check that. Will give it to you.
- Mallet and 3rd for Pedan, older
- Forsling for Clendening, older
- Baertschi for 2nd, older - and Andersson is worth Baertschi easily, have you seen him play? I assume not. For sure an NHL player
- Lack for picks, younger
- McNally for 7th, younger
- Bieksa for 2nd, younger then traded in the Sutter deal
- Kassian plus 5th for Prust, older
- Bonino, Clendening, 2nd for Sutter, 3rd - saw off given Clendening is awful, and Sutter and Bonino are the same age
- Granlund for Shink, older, even if Granlund is a better player
- Larsen for 5th, older
- Guddy, 5th for McCann, 2nd, 4th - older
- Burr for a Dahlen, younger (great trade)
- Hansen for Goldy, 4th - younger
- Pouliot for Pedan, 4th, saw off, same age
- Dowd for Subban, older
- Motte, Jokinen for Vanek - will give you younger here even if Vanek and Jokinen are both old
- Leipsic for Holm, younger
I’m tempted to play this game because I’m confident I could beat you at your own game BUT

… I’m not going to because there are two fatal flaws in your logic:

1). A team does not “get younger” every time they trade a player for a pick

… due to the fact most picks do not become players.

2). The big picture goal is not to “get younger” but rather to build a new core that can challenge for the Cup.

(it’s easy for any team to simply “get younger”)

Speaking of the big picture, Canucks have gone from one of the oldest teams in the league to one of the youngest under GMJB

… and on the very day Sedins hang up their skates, the team becomes vastly younger still.

Try to focus on the big picture…

Diehard1 wrote:
Wed Feb 28, 2018 12:14 am
Picks

11 out (2nd, 2nd, 2nd, 3rd, 3rd, 3rd, 4th, 5th, 5th, 6th, 7th)
9 in (1st, 2nd, 2nd, 3rd, 3rd, 3rd, 4th, 5th, 7th)
Again, you're not counting one of the "in" picks - a 2nd rounder.

Again, you're counting the just-six-picks-so-far in a draft that is yet to come (who knows how many he'll end up with).

It's much less confusing to say GMJB has thus far drafted exactly the average number of times.

He's not down by two, he's broken even thus far.

Panicking Canuck fans make me laugh...

Diehard1 wrote:
Wed Feb 28, 2018 12:14 am
Record

- worst 3 year stretch in team history
- 2nd worst team in the league, points wise, over the last 3 years
- progressively getting worse each subsequent season in number of points
It's called a rebuild, try to focus on the big picture...

Diehard1 wrote:
Wed Feb 28, 2018 12:14 am
I like Benning, seems like a nice guy and I’m rooting for him. He’s not giving me much to go on here!
It's you, not him... you're panicking.

Diehard1 wrote:
Wed Feb 28, 2018 12:14 am
Nevermind the fact that the PR around this team has been handled about as poorly as you could possibly imagine, I’m amazed at how badly they’ve lost the plot. It’s like they don’t think at all when they speak then always have to go back and clarify points later. I’ve never seen it with another team on a consistent basis.
That's just you panicking...

Diehard1 wrote:
Wed Feb 28, 2018 12:14 am
Believe me I’m trying to see your point of view and I just don’t get it.
That's because you're panicking...

Diehard1 wrote:
Wed Feb 28, 2018 12:14 am
Can we name a team in the cap era that has rebuilt on the fly?
"Rebuilt on the fly" was just a PR catchphrase to help ticket sales...

Diehard1 wrote:
Wed Feb 28, 2018 12:14 am
I really hope I’m totally off base on this
Don't worry, you are. :wink:

Diehard1 wrote:
Wed Feb 28, 2018 12:14 am
Now if I missed anything too bad, that’s all the time I have. :D
IMHO you should spend more of that precious little time reading the Great Strangelove

... and less time reading what the many, many panickers are writing. :D

Years ago it was predicted by most that Canuck fans in general could never handle a rebuild.

And now here we are. :mex:
Not sure this post deserves a response but I'll try - I didn't see your post to respond, not because I didn't want to. I check this board maybe once every day at most, sometimes not for a week or two at a time. If I don't respond perhaps I'm not around or didn't see it.

Most of your points here are like trying to nail jello to the wall. No matter what I say you'll try and twist your way out of it or change the context to what you want to see, so not much use responding to them point by point.

Regarding the rest of your points - I don't panic. I've been a Canucks fan since the 80's and been around message boards since the mid 90's so I've seen a lot of crap and some good as well. I enjoy the good more than the crap, you seem to be the opposite. Call it a difference of opinion.

Let's just agree to disagree and we'll see where we are in a couple of years.

User avatar
Island Nucklehead
MVP
MVP
Posts: 8351
Joined: Wed Sep 07, 2005 2:27 pm
Location: Ottawa

Re: Trades made - Trade Deadline Day 2018

Post by Island Nucklehead » Wed Feb 28, 2018 5:52 pm

Diehard1 wrote:
Wed Feb 28, 2018 5:33 pm
Most of your points here are like trying to nail jello to the wall. No matter what I say you'll try and twist your way out of it or change the context to what you want to see, so not much use responding to them point by point.

Regarding the rest of your points - I don't panic. I've been a Canucks fan since the 80's and been around message boards since the mid 90's so I've seen a lot of crap and some good as well. I enjoy the good more than the crap, you seem to be the opposite. Call it a difference of opinion.

Let's just agree to disagree and we'll see where we are in a couple of years.
Excellent posts Diehard, but I wouldn't expect the fanatics to be swayed by logic or facts. There's no point analyzing anything, just shut your mouth and wait 3-19 years.

User avatar
Cornuck
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP
Posts: 8147
Joined: Mon Aug 09, 2004 11:39 am
Location: Everywhere

Re: Trades made - Trade Deadline Day 2018

Post by Cornuck » Wed Feb 28, 2018 6:00 pm

Island Nucklehead wrote:
Wed Feb 28, 2018 5:52 pm
.... and wait 3-19 years.
We've already waited 47... what's another 19? :D Besides, time goes faster as we age, so it might just seem like 1-2 years™ - or maybe some of us don't have that long. :look:
2019-20 - Playoff Bound

User avatar
rats19
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP
Posts: 9305
Joined: Wed Jun 22, 2011 7:21 am
Location: over here.....

Re: Trades made - Trade Deadline Day 2018

Post by rats19 » Wed Feb 28, 2018 6:06 pm

Cornuck wrote:
Wed Feb 28, 2018 6:00 pm
Island Nucklehead wrote:
Wed Feb 28, 2018 5:52 pm
.... and wait 3-19 years.
We've already waited 47... what's another 19? :D Besides, time goes faster as we age, so it might just seem like 1-2 years™ - or maybe some of us don't have that long. :look:
19 is too long...

Cup in 5 playoff road starts in 1-2 years
Getting old is not for the young...

User avatar
Cornuck
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP
Posts: 8147
Joined: Mon Aug 09, 2004 11:39 am
Location: Everywhere

Re: Trades made - Trade Deadline Day 2018

Post by Cornuck » Wed Feb 28, 2018 6:14 pm

rats19 wrote:
Wed Feb 28, 2018 6:06 pm
Cornuck wrote:
Wed Feb 28, 2018 6:00 pm
Island Nucklehead wrote:
Wed Feb 28, 2018 5:52 pm
.... and wait 3-19 years.
We've already waited 47... what's another 19? :D Besides, time goes faster as we age, so it might just seem like 1-2 years™ - or maybe some of us don't have that long. :look:
19 is too long...

Cup in 5 playoff road starts in 1-2 years
ha - I thought some of the OAPs might take issue with that! :D
2019-20 - Playoff Bound

User avatar
rats19
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP
Posts: 9305
Joined: Wed Jun 22, 2011 7:21 am
Location: over here.....

Re: Trades made - Trade Deadline Day 2018

Post by rats19 » Wed Feb 28, 2018 6:21 pm

Cornuck wrote:
Wed Feb 28, 2018 6:14 pm
rats19 wrote:
Wed Feb 28, 2018 6:06 pm
Cornuck wrote:
Wed Feb 28, 2018 6:00 pm
Island Nucklehead wrote:
Wed Feb 28, 2018 5:52 pm
.... and wait 3-19 years.
We've already waited 47... what's another 19? :D Besides, time goes faster as we age, so it might just seem like 1-2 years™ - or maybe some of us don't have that long. :look:
19 is too long...

Cup in 5 playoff road starts in 1-2 years
ha - I thought some of the OAPs might take issue with that! :D
You thought right!!!! :scowl:
Getting old is not for the young...

Post Reply