Canucks News and Notes 2017-2018

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

vic
CC Hall of Fan Member

Re: Canucks News and Notes 2017-2018

Post by vic »

Blob Mckenzie wrote: Thu Feb 22, 2018 10:07 pm Not sure what the complaint is Vic. The team has been a fire fire since 2013, with one mirage playoff season where absolutely every bounce went their way. Two management teams have pissed away picks for quick fixes and this is why the current product is unwatchable and the system still needs more depth. I’m optimistically thinking maybe playoffs in 2020-21... not sure. But by that point they should have a good chunk of organizational depth at all positions if management stops taking shortcuts.

Try to focus on 3-4 years from now
So if there is another McDavid or Matthews coming into the 2022 draft, should they tank and try to land that pick? What happens if the 2023 is another 2003 where it's deep and stacked, another tank?

That'll be closing in on 8 years of losing. The kids will be veterans by then. It'll probably take 2 playoff appearances before the team has a shot at the cup. The first one will probably be a first round exit then everyone will be saying what's the point of a one and out, they should just tank and try to get another top 5 pick.

When does it end?
Blob Mckenzie
MVP
MVP

Post by Blob Mckenzie »

I’m not advocating they tank but the team is razor thin on depth and have basically zero in the pipeline for defencemen. It’s going to be another few years before three are competitive. I had to stifle the laughter when everyone was talking playoffs after a 14-10-4 start against soft opposition. What happened ? A couple injuries and tougher opponents and they folded like a cheap tent. It’s going to take a while yet.

If the reports are true that Elmer could have gotten a 2nd and 4th for Gudbranson then he should have taken that. More picks in the draft = more chances to draft good player = currency. You can find Gudbranson level players in free agency for less money and term than they paid him.
“I don’t care what you and some other poster were talking about”
Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

Post by Chef Boi RD »

Benning is a master at drafting outside the lottery zone but he is also human. Remember, we are drafting 18 year old pimple faced teenagers at the draft, this isn't the NFL where you are drafting more of a sure thing. There isn't a team in the history of the NHL that hasn't made a dud pick(s) in every draft class. I can't remember what the stats are regarding the percentages of 2nd round picks and 4th round picks having impactful careers in the NHL but when you factor that and the length of development time for 2nd and 4ths I'm taking a known and current asset in Gudbranson over a mystery 2nd and 4th and their development time
“Tyler Myers is my guy... I was taking to Scotty Bowman last night and he was bringing up his name, and saying he’s a big guy and big guy need big minutes to play, he is playing great for ya… and I agree with him… He’s been exceptional” - Bruce Boudreau
Topper
CC Legend

Post by Topper »

Blob Mckenzie wrote: Fri Feb 23, 2018 9:32 am I’m not advocating they tank
What changed?
Blob Mckenzie wrote: Fri Feb 23, 2018 9:32 amWhat happened ? A couple injuries
to the #1 and #2 centres, Horvat and Sutter, injury forced career loss of Dorsett, defensemen Gudbranson, Tanev

No one ever claimed a rebuilding meant unlimited depth, butt then, some people can not handle a rebuild
Blob Mckenzie wrote: Fri Feb 23, 2018 9:32 amIf the reports are true that Elmer could have gotten a 2nd and 4th for Gudbranson then he should have taken that.
I think I know what orifice you pulled that from and you can now answer your signature without assistance.
Blob Mckenzie wrote: Fri Feb 23, 2018 9:32 amYou can find Gudbranson level players in free agency for less money and term than they paid him.
Comic gold!
Over the Internet, you can pretend to be anyone or anything.

I'm amazed that so many people choose to be complete twats.
Blob Mckenzie
MVP
MVP

Post by Blob Mckenzie »

Topper wrote: Fri Feb 23, 2018 10:18 am
Blob Mckenzie wrote: Fri Feb 23, 2018 9:32 am I’m not advocating they tank
What changed?
Blob Mckenzie wrote: Fri Feb 23, 2018 9:32 amWhat happened ? A couple injuries
to the #1 and #2 centres, Horvat and Sutter, injury forced career loss of Dorsett, defensemen Gudbranson, Tanev

No one ever claimed a rebuilding meant unlimited depth, butt then, some people can not handle a rebuild
Blob Mckenzie wrote: Fri Feb 23, 2018 9:32 amIf the reports are true that Elmer could have gotten a 2nd and 4th for Gudbranson then he should have taken that.
I think I know what orifice you pulled that from and you can now answer your signature without assistance.
Blob Mckenzie wrote: Fri Feb 23, 2018 9:32 amYou can find Gudbranson level players in free agency for less money and term than they paid him.
Comic gold!
Lol I don’t have to advocate tanking the roster assembled is a league wide joke. It will tank itself.

Lol 38 year old Henrik is still a better centre than 30 point Birdbones.

Company shill and Linden ass muncher McIntyre said they could have gotten that package for Real Gud.

And yes bottom pairing d men are available every July 1st for cheaper than 4 million
Blob Mckenzie
MVP
MVP

Post by Blob Mckenzie »

RoyalDude wrote: Fri Feb 23, 2018 10:09 am Benning is a master at drafting outside the lottery zone but he is also human. Remember, we are drafting 18 year old pimple faced teenagers at the draft, this isn't the NFL where you are drafting more of a sure thing. There isn't a team in the history of the NHL that hasn't made a dud pick(s) in every draft class. I can't remember what the stats are regarding the percentages of 2nd round picks and 4th round picks having impactful careers in the NHL but when you factor that and the length of development time for 2nd and 4ths I'm taking a known and current asset in Gudbranson over a mystery 2nd and 4th and their development time
And yet you lost your shit when 3rd round picks were traded for Higgins and Lappierre
Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

Post by Chef Boi RD »

I see that your old "Fire Gillis" wound still hasn't healed yet. Shame

Gillis was such a shitty draftsmen, he needed twice the allotted amount to have any hope at the draft. ANY hope!
“Tyler Myers is my guy... I was taking to Scotty Bowman last night and he was bringing up his name, and saying he’s a big guy and big guy need big minutes to play, he is playing great for ya… and I agree with him… He’s been exceptional” - Bruce Boudreau
Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

Post by Chef Boi RD »

Love the Sam Bennett to Boston trade rumour thread at HF. One puruse of the thread and one thing becomes clear, Bubbles is the only one on planet earth who likes Bennett. Stalwart - 4th overall pick
Blob Mckenzie
MVP
MVP

Post by Blob Mckenzie »

Hamburgers, mud, ice cream, lawnmower, electrical tape, pistachio nuts , The Iraq.

As usual you didn’t address anything in the post and proceeded to spew a pile of nonsense. Right back at ya :lol:
black ace
CC 2nd Team All-Star

Post by black ace »

Ttotal number of picks Benning has is misleading. Take the Pouliot trade as an example. Canucks take Pedan (who didnt make the team and cleared waivers) and a 4th for a guy with upside who is at worst a 6/7 guy right now. Sure they gave up a pick but its a 4th rounder with statiscally a 20% chance of making the NHL who realistically wont help this team for 3-5 years if at all.

So yes its one less prospect we get to watch for 2-3 years but statistically its an easy win.
2011 BC Sports Central CFL Pool Champion
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Strangelove »

Diehard1 wrote: Thu Feb 22, 2018 10:31 pm Don’t have a ton of time but I will respond to a few points:

- great that Guddy’s partners make him worse, even though to a man they’ve all been better without him on the ice. Check the fancy stats!
You must be kidding me! :crazy:

Are you blissfully unaware that The Guds is epicentre of the great debate:

Incontestable Fancy Stats vs Problematic Fancy Stats (especially when it comes to physical shutdown dmen)

But yes, let's use fancy stats to settle this debate ROFLMAO! That's fair!! :lol:

Anyway, you missed the point.

That being "EG, like many dmen, needs the right partner in order to shine".

Not "better partner according to fancy stats"... but the right partner for EG.

The Guds thrived with Campbell in Florida

... the closest that he might find here are as I suggested: Edler and Juolevi.
Diehard1 wrote: Thu Feb 22, 2018 10:31 pm - where did I say top 4 was ‘wracked’ with injuries? Tanev has missed games sure, but he does that every year. Edler too.
Ummmm... you just said it again. :eh:
Diehard1 wrote: Thu Feb 22, 2018 10:31 pm Guddy the same with his wrist, but he’s not one of the top 4 in my books
The year he missed half the season with that wrist injury he was Top 4 in icetime (tied with Tanev at 20:20 MPG).

He was also Top 4 in icetime the season before that in Florida, where he faced the toughest icetime on the team.

(defensive zone starts + playing versus the toughest competition)

BTW he had the highest icetime on the team in the playoffs that year, and 12th highest average icetime in the league.

So far this year he is 5th on the team in average icetime but there are reasons for that.

With only 30 games played, leaving games early after injury/suspension affects those numbers more than you'd think.

(left one game after just 1:15 minutes played, another after 9:46)

(also, as often happens, he was eased back in upon return after injuries = low minutes for 7 games or so)

In the past 7 games he's finally back up to averaging the 20+ minutes per game he averaged the previous 2 seasons.

In my books, he's a #4.

So yeah, that's 3 of the Top 4 missing significant time with injuries.

(recall this convo was all about you asking how the D-corps gets better, one of my answers: Better luck in the Injury Department)

(the others: one or more of the young dee step up, Juolevi, Tryamkin - eventually)
Diehard1 wrote: Thu Feb 22, 2018 10:31 pm , that’s MDZ who plays an average 3 minutes more per game and has played all of them.
Yes, MDZ is the only one of the wracked-by-injuries Top 4 to escape injury this year.

(btw you tend to jump around a lot from this year, last year, the last few years, even the last 10 years at one point)
Diehard1 wrote: Thu Feb 22, 2018 10:31 pm - what is being competitive if you lose more than anybody save the Coyotes, who seem to actually be trying to suck. How has anything in the past 3 years been competitive? It floors me to think someone could say this with a straight face.
AGAIN: He is obviously running with a different definition of the word "competitive" than you are... deal with it. 8-)

It obviously doesn't mean "winning games" because he has stated a few times the team IS being competitive.

(he said that as recently as 9 days ago)

He has defined it in the past as "being in hockey games, with a chance to win" and whatnot.

He hasn't "brought in all these vets to win hockey games" so much as "providing placeholders and mentorship for the kids".

Yes the first couple of years he (well mostly Linden) said "The goal is to make the playoffs"

... but one says those things at that point in time for the sake of pushing your players and ticket sales.
Diehard1 wrote: Thu Feb 22, 2018 10:31 pm What I have a keen interest in is asset management. Not trading 3 assets for Guddy
That was 3 assets for Guddy plus an asset.

A 24-year-old Top 4 dee Guddy btw...
Diehard1 wrote: Thu Feb 22, 2018 10:31 pm , don’t throw away picks or prospects on guys like Clendening
That was young player in Europe for young player in NA at a time Canucks were setting records for injury.

Clendening played 17 straight games due to those injuries.

Also Forsling is yet to become the god all the Benning-bashers said he would be, he's biting boners on the farm right now...
Diehard1 wrote: Thu Feb 22, 2018 10:31 pm , Larsen
5th round pick for a 26-year-old... meh.
Diehard1 wrote: Thu Feb 22, 2018 10:31 pm , Etem
Young bust forward Jensen for young bust forward Etem - both now playing in Europe.

What exactly are you complaing about here. :wow:
Diehard1 wrote: Thu Feb 22, 2018 10:31 pm , Sutter
... but they didn't "throw away picks or prospects" on Sutter.

As has been stated many times, Canucks only dropped 9 spots in the pick upgrade they gave up in the Bonino/Sutter trade.

(from 55th to 63rd)

And they still got the man they would have taken at 55th (Lockwood).

Again you have nothing to complain about here.
Diehard1 wrote: Thu Feb 22, 2018 10:31 pm , Prust
That 5th rounder given up was the price paid to unload then out-of-control substance-abuser Kassian.

Meh.
Diehard1 wrote: Thu Feb 22, 2018 10:31 pm , Vey
This was 29-year-old Garrison for 22-year-old Vey.

The 50th overall pick received for Garrison on the afternoon of June 27/14 (first day of 2014 draft)

... was given to LA for Vey on the morning of June 28/14 (second day of 2014 draft).

The pick was the currency for the Garrison/Vey trade.

Too bad Mr Vey was driven mad when his dad tried to kill his mom, he might've been a great NHLer....
Diehard1 wrote: Thu Feb 22, 2018 10:31 pm , Pedan
A 3rd round draft pick given up for a young dman drafted in the 3rd round three years previously.

Meh.
Diehard1 wrote: Thu Feb 22, 2018 10:31 pm . Even the Baertschi deal which everyone seems to think is a home run for Jimbo brought the Flamers Rasmus Andersson
Lol and which of the two has the higher value as an "asset" right now... Mr Asset Manager. :mex:
Diehard1 wrote: Thu Feb 22, 2018 10:31 pm The ‘remain competitive’ and ‘leadership and culture’ team Jimbo has tried to build has failed miserably.
Has it Diehard... HAS IT :sly:

BTW I love how you ignored my point about young college player signings and the vets-for prospects trades...
____
Try to focus on someday.
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Strangelove »

Blob Mckenzie wrote: Fri Feb 23, 2018 10:52 am
Topper wrote: Fri Feb 23, 2018 10:18 am
Blob Mckenzie wrote: Fri Feb 23, 2018 9:32 am If the reports are true that Elmer could have gotten a 2nd and 4th for Gudbranson then he should have taken that.
Company shill and Linden ass muncher McIntyre said they could have gotten that package for Real Gud.
Link?

I recall McIntyre saying something like "Let's imagine Canucks were offered a 2nd and 4th for Gudbranson..."

There were no "reports"... you sir are chock-full of poop!

Blob Mckenzie wrote: Fri Feb 23, 2018 10:52 am And yes bottom pairing d men are available every July 1st for cheaper than 4 million
... except he's not a bottom pairing d man, he's a Top 4. :scowl:

The evidence has been presented, you had no rebuttal.
____
Try to focus on someday.
black ace
CC 2nd Team All-Star

Post by black ace »

need to make room to have a look at Holm. If he isint in the plans then no point bringing him back next year. Need at least 2 trades or this will be another Vrbta/Hamhuis disaster.
2011 BC Sports Central CFL Pool Champion
Blob Mckenzie
MVP
MVP

Post by Blob Mckenzie »

Lmao... on WHICH team is REAL GUD a top 4 d man other than Elmer’s tire fire ?
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Strangelove »

Blob Mckenzie wrote: Fri Feb 23, 2018 6:32 pm Lmao... on WHICH team is REAL GUD a top 4 d man other than Elmer’s tire fire ?
http://www.canuckscorner.com/forums/vie ... 91#p298891
____
Try to focus on someday.