Canucks News and Notes 2017-2018

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

Jovocop
CC Legend

Re: Canucks News and Notes 2017-2018

Post by Jovocop »

Hockey Widow wrote: Tue Feb 20, 2018 3:10 pm
Hockey Widow wrote: Tue Feb 20, 2018 2:21 pm Sounds like Benning is very active on the phones. Says it's too early to tell what will unfold TDD. He was responding to a question about, now that Gudbranson is re-signed and Tanev is hurt, does he expect to be busy TDD. I expected a no but he seemed to indicate that there is a lot of talk setting the groundwork. Which doesn't necessarily translate into deals I know. But it does indicate that there are players other than Vanek he is considering moving.

He emphasized a couple of things.

1) he likes our depth throughout the organization on D hinting that there is room to trade from strength there.

2) he prefers hockey deals to TDD deals and that is his focus. If he can manage a good hockey deal most players should be considered available.

3) he loves picks and is definitely looking to add picks for this year's draft.

On Tanev, he is shopping him, listed all the reasons he is of value leading with his ability to mentor younger D and making his D partner look better. But, if GMs inquire he will listen. Doesn't believe his injury status necessarily precludes GMs from being interested if it comes to that.

Edit

On Tanev he ISNT shopping him!!

The logjam is on the left side defense. One of Hutton, Del-Zotto, or Pouliot can be traded. Pouliot can play both sides and Del-Zotto mentors the young Ds. The most logical choice is Hutton.
Hockey Widow
CC Legend

Post by Hockey Widow »

Mëds wrote: Tue Feb 20, 2018 2:41 pm
theman wrote: Tue Feb 20, 2018 2:31 pm Yeah, he did sign for less then I thought he would. Love the no trade protection too. Surprised Benning got that.
The truly surprising thing was the back diving real dollars in the final year. Makes no sense over a 3 year term for a player that young.

I mean it makes sense for the team. He becomes much bigger trade bait. I'm just surprised he and his agent were OK with that.

Benning >>>>>>>>>>>> Gillis/Gillman when it comes to contract negotiations where trade protection is concerned. Gillis would have given Gudbranson a modified NTC where he had to provide a list of 5 teams he would accept a trade to or something. :lol:

Isn't the CBA up after his second year? Means he's leaving less on the table in the event of a lockout.
The only HW the Canucks need
Meds
MVP
MVP

Post by Meds »

Hockey Widow wrote: Tue Feb 20, 2018 3:18 pm
Mëds wrote: Tue Feb 20, 2018 2:41 pm
theman wrote: Tue Feb 20, 2018 2:31 pm Yeah, he did sign for less then I thought he would. Love the no trade protection too. Surprised Benning got that.
The truly surprising thing was the back diving real dollars in the final year. Makes no sense over a 3 year term for a player that young.

I mean it makes sense for the team. He becomes much bigger trade bait. I'm just surprised he and his agent were OK with that.

Benning >>>>>>>>>>>> Gillis/Gillman when it comes to contract negotiations where trade protection is concerned. Gillis would have given Gudbranson a modified NTC where he had to provide a list of 5 teams he would accept a trade to or something. :lol:

Isn't the CBA up after his second year? Means he's leaving less on the table in the event of a lockout.
Ahhh.....had not considered that.
SKYO
MVP
MVP

Post by SKYO »

Diehard1 wrote: Tue Feb 20, 2018 3:03 pm
RoyalDude wrote: Tue Feb 20, 2018 7:13 am Diehard, the Avalanche fixed their defence in one draft - Makar and Timins, and the Duschene trade - Girard. And don't forget the O'Reilly trade, Zadarov is playing good hockey finally. Anyhow, Benning can do a lot for this team's D with a top 10 pick in this draft and a high 2nd round pick. Unlike Cliffy and Nuckles, I'm confident Tryamkin will return, he's too good not to be in the NHL.
That's my point - where do the Nucks go from here? ...

I really hope you're right and Benning does focus on D. It's badly needed.

Let's just say we land 6th overall, we'll probably get Evan Bouchard, a big right shot dman with high scoring ability.

Move Tanev for a blue chip dman prospect and a high pick, with that pick can take another dman.

With Vanek probably get a 3rd, so with two 3rd rounders can take another dman and a high risk move like drafting a highly skilled smurf.

Then sign a college dman (keeper or whitecloud) both right side dmen.
http://www.vancourier.com/pass-it-to-bu ... 1.23165181

Out Tanev, Hutton.

In Bouchard, (a blue chip dman via Tanev trade), couple more dmen picks via Tanev trade pick and Vanek pick, a college dman prospect.

That's 5 quality dmen prospects the team can theoretically add realistically before next season starts.

Edler-Guds
MDZ-Stecher

Juolevi/Holm/Pouliot/Chatfield/Brisebois with 2018 moves - Evan Bouchard/Zach Whitecloud/(blue chip dman prospect via Tanev trade ex: Liljegren) and a few more 2018 NHL draft dmen prospects.
and finally in 2019 or 2020 the return of the TRYAMKING.
Can the Canucks just win a Cup within the next 5 years.
Topper
CC Legend

Post by Topper »

Hockey Widow wrote: Tue Feb 20, 2018 3:18 pmIsn't the CBA up after his second year? Means he's leaving less on the table in the event of a lockout.
I've been eying that CBA expiry and wondering if that is impacting owners on locking up the lame duck management around the league.
Over the Internet, you can pretend to be anyone or anything.

I'm amazed that so many people choose to be complete twats.
Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

Post by Chef Boi RD »

Island Nucklehead wrote: Tue Feb 20, 2018 2:22 pm Gudbranson wasn’t going to recoup what we gave up for him.
And oh Boi oh Boi did we ever pay dearly for him -,Jared "Harold Druken" McCann - Stalwart. To hbd Agenders, its like we gave up Matthew Barzal and Anthony Beauvellier for Gufbranson.

Who cares? The moaners care, it gives them something to hang on to. "I know I'm going down, Hoss, but gosh darn it, I'm gonna go down fighting!"
“Tyler Myers is my guy... I was taking to Scotty Bowman last night and he was bringing up his name, and saying he’s a big guy and big guy need big minutes to play, he is playing great for ya… and I agree with him… He’s been exceptional” - Bruce Boudreau
Meds
MVP
MVP

Post by Meds »

Topper wrote: Tue Feb 20, 2018 3:25 pm
Hockey Widow wrote: Tue Feb 20, 2018 3:18 pmIsn't the CBA up after his second year? Means he's leaving less on the table in the event of a lockout.
I've been eying that CBA expiry and wondering if that is impacting owners on locking up the lame duck management around the league.
What are you pondering in regards to how locking up the management interplays with the expiring CBA?
Meds
MVP
MVP

Post by Meds »

SKYO wrote: Tue Feb 20, 2018 3:22 pm
Diehard1 wrote: Tue Feb 20, 2018 3:03 pm
RoyalDude wrote: Tue Feb 20, 2018 7:13 am Diehard, the Avalanche fixed their defence in one draft - Makar and Timins, and the Duschene trade - Girard. And don't forget the O'Reilly trade, Zadarov is playing good hockey finally. Anyhow, Benning can do a lot for this team's D with a top 10 pick in this draft and a high 2nd round pick. Unlike Cliffy and Nuckles, I'm confident Tryamkin will return, he's too good not to be in the NHL.
That's my point - where do the Nucks go from here? ...

I really hope you're right and Benning does focus on D. It's badly needed.

Let's just say we land 6th overall, we'll probably get Evan Bouchard, a big right shot dman with high scoring ability.

Move Tanev for a blue chip dman prospect and a high pick, with that pick can take another dman.

With Vanek probably get a 3rd, so with two 3rd rounders can take another dman and a high risk move like drafting a highly skilled smurf.

Then sign a college dman (keeper or whitecloud) both right side dmen.
http://www.vancourier.com/pass-it-to-bu ... 1.23165181

Out Tanev, Hutton.

In Bouchard, (a blue chip dman via Tanev trade), couple more dmen picks via Tanev trade pick and Vanek pick, a college dman prospect.

That's 5 quality dmen prospects the team can theoretically add realistically before next season starts.

Edler-Guds
MDZ-Stecher

Juolevi/Holm/Pouliot/Chatfield/Brisebois with 2018 moves - Evan Bouchard/Zach Whitecloud/(blue chip dman prospect via Tanev trade ex: Liljegren) and a few more 2018 NHL draft dmen prospects.
and finally in 2019 or 2020 the return of the TRYAMKING.
If Jimbo manages to acquire an extra first round pick he should stick to the BPA method with both of them. Sure we need to inject some quality D prospects into our system, but if we aren't getting one of the top 3 defensemen in the draft, then I would prefer adding another quality forward with serious top-6 (better still top-3) potential.

Lind, Gadjovich, Gaudette, and Dahlen, don't project as top line forwards as far as I have seen. Second and very good 3rd liners almost certainly.

Right now our legit top-3 forwards (current and/or developing) in the system under 23 are Bo, Pettersson, Boeser. If we can add another one in the first round, we should. Especially if we miss out on Dahlin (almost a certainty) but still end up in the top-3. I really liked what I saw of Zadina at the WJC, what a shot. He's like Euro-Boeser with a left-handed shot.
Topper
CC Legend

Post by Topper »

Some people can't handle a rebuild. That is why Genius Jim was extended and why Gudbranson was extended at an extremely fair price.

For sheer ecstasy, flip Gudbranson to the Islanders for Calgary's 1st. LOL
Over the Internet, you can pretend to be anyone or anything.

I'm amazed that so many people choose to be complete twats.
Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

Post by Chef Boi RD »

For those who don't know, the Flames acquired stone hands Hamonic for potentially a 2018 lottery pick and two 2nd round picks, so yeah getting Calgarys 2018 1st would be a doozy!
“Tyler Myers is my guy... I was taking to Scotty Bowman last night and he was bringing up his name, and saying he’s a big guy and big guy need big minutes to play, he is playing great for ya… and I agree with him… He’s been exceptional” - Bruce Boudreau
Todd Bersnoozi
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Todd Bersnoozi »

SKYO wrote: Tue Feb 20, 2018 9:41 am Pretty affordable and low risk term for Gudbranson - 3 years - $4M per.
Great signing, glad to see Guddy will be staying a board. I would have been willing to go with a 4 year deal, but 3 is fine. He probably would have got more as a UFA. It's pretty much the same deal Sbisa got, but I think Guddy brings way more to the table (bigger, stronger, tougher, RS, leadership, character, potential, etc). It's great to hear that Guddy wants to be part of the core here that turns this ship around too. I don't think we have seen the best of Guddy yet. The main thing is for him to stay healthy, so he can get on a bit of a roll.
SKYO
MVP
MVP

Post by SKYO »

Todd Bersnoozi wrote: Tue Feb 20, 2018 4:46 pm
SKYO wrote: Tue Feb 20, 2018 9:41 am Pretty affordable and low risk term for Gudbranson - 3 years - $4M per.
Great signing, glad to see Guddy will be staying a board. I would have been willing to go with a 4 year deal, but 3 is fine. He probably would have got more as a UFA. It's pretty much the same deal Sbisa got, but I think Guddy brings way more to the table (bigger, stronger, tougher, RS, leadership, character, potential, etc). It's great to hear that Guddy wants to be part of the core here that turns this ship around too. I don't think we have seen the best of Guddy yet. The main thing is for him to stay healthy, so he can get on a bit of a roll.
Yeah I like how Guds just keeps it simple like ol' Willie Mitchell styles - while Sbisa - I didn't like when he tried to stick handle up the ice with some cringe worthy "dangles".
Can the Canucks just win a Cup within the next 5 years.
rats19
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by rats19 »

I like the signing...
Silence intelligence so stupid isn’t offended….
Meds
MVP
MVP

Post by Meds »

Topper wrote: Tue Feb 20, 2018 4:20 pm Some people can't handle a rebuild. That is why Genius Jim was extended and why Gudbranson was extended at an extremely fair price.

For sheer ecstasy, flip Gudbranson to the Islanders for Calgary's 1st. LOL
Only if Calgary misses and we can get their lottery pick. :lol:

Or would that be more for hysteria than ecstasy?
Blob Mckenzie
MVP
MVP

Post by Blob Mckenzie »

Jovocop wrote: Tue Feb 20, 2018 10:05 am

The nerds are already in full force :
So are the mongoloids unfortunately clapping their paws together upon the signing
“I don’t care what you and some other poster were talking about”