The Bubbles Hargraves and Chef Dud review every GM move thread

The primary goal of this site is to provide mature, meaningful discussion about the Vancouver Canucks. However, we all need a break some time so this forum is basically for anything off-topic, off the wall, or to just get something off your chest! This forum is named after poster Creeper, who passed away in July of 2011 and was a long time member of the Canucks message board community.

Moderator: Referees

ESQ
MVP
MVP

Re: The Bubbles and Dud review every GM move thread

Post by ESQ »

I seem to recall seeing Blob praising Sweeney for his (apparently) shorter turn-around on the Bruins' rebuild.

Interesting that as bad as Backes has been for the Bruins, his contract isn't holding back the club even though he's not cracking 40 points.

I reckon that'll be the same for the Canucks with Loui once we have a younger core (i.e. the Sedins are gone) and are getting good goaltending.

Again its not defending the signing, but putting it in perspective that its not the end of the world. And the Gaborik/Phaneuf trade shows there could be some value to a low-dollar/high-cap hit Loui in a couple years.
Blob Mckenzie
MVP
MVP

Post by Blob Mckenzie »

I think that was Island Nucklehead.

I don’t have any problem with the job Sweeney has done and choose to judge managers on their results like a mature person would. Unlike some people on this board that behave like they are 12 and pitch tantrums if people critique Jim Benning, I don’t bash the other 30 NHL GMs for no reason.
“I don’t care what you and some other poster were talking about”
Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

Post by Chef Boi RD »

Milan isn't even in his 30's. Not a good age to start playing like a geriatric, not with that contract. "What to do with Milan Lucic?" 20 goal drought
“Tyler Myers is my guy... I was taking to Scotty Bowman last night and he was bringing up his name, and saying he’s a big guy and big guy need big minutes to play, he is playing great for ya… and I agree with him… He’s been exceptional” - Bruce Boudreau
Meds
MVP
MVP

Post by Meds »

RoyalDude wrote: Fri Feb 16, 2018 10:25 am
Mëds wrote: Thu Feb 15, 2018 7:36 pm
RoyalDude wrote: Thu Feb 15, 2018 4:54 pm Update on the big UFA signings of 2016

Okposo - 9 goals 25 assists 34 points
Lucic - 9 goals 21 assists 30 points
Backes - 10 goals 15 assists 25 points
Nielsen - 13 goals 11 assists 24 points
Ladd - 9 goals 12 assists 21 points
Eriksson - 8 goals 12 assists 20 points
Brouwer - 3 goals 12 assists
Okposo's wasn't as bad due to his age. He was 27.

Brouwer's was only $4.5M x 4.

The rest are indeed awful.
Brouwers not bad? Kidding right? 3 goals? Not sure if you've been following but okposo isn't playing very well and his contract is the worst of that bunch. Age doesn't matter.
He will have 2 years left after this season. The rest of those guys are boat anchors for another 3-5 years. I haven't been watching the Flames this year. I see his basic stats line, but I am assuming he still kills penalties responsibly and plays a hard game.
Meds
MVP
MVP

Post by Meds »

Blob Mckenzie wrote: Fri Feb 16, 2018 10:57 am Lucic and Okposo are on pace for 50 points. They are three years younger than Jesse James Eriksson.

Erikssons contract is the shittiest of that group.
At this point yes. In a year or so Lucic and Nielsen will be the worst as Looch is already too slow to be effective anywhere but in front of the net (if he can get there in time) and Nielsen is a pussy. Eriksson still has the speed to be an effective bottom six player.....albeit a grossly overpaid one.
Meds
MVP
MVP

Post by Meds »

ESQ wrote: Fri Feb 16, 2018 11:19 am I seem to recall seeing Blob praising Sweeney for his (apparently) shorter turn-around on the Bruins' rebuild.

Interesting that as bad as Backes has been for the Bruins, his contract isn't holding back the club even though he's not cracking 40 points.

I reckon that'll be the same for the Canucks with Loui once we have a younger core (i.e. the Sedins are gone) and are getting good goaltending.

Again its not defending the signing, but putting it in perspective that its not the end of the world. And the Gaborik/Phaneuf trade shows there could be some value to a low-dollar/high-cap hit Loui in a couple years.
What was the value there? Gaborik's real dollar value dives off a bit towards the end, but Phaneuf's doesn't......and Ottawa had to retain 25% of Phaneuf's cap hit. The trade was mostly a salary wash in those cases.
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Strangelove »

Mëds wrote: Fri Feb 16, 2018 2:52 pm
ESQ wrote: Fri Feb 16, 2018 11:19 am Again its not defending the signing, but putting it in perspective that its not the end of the world. And the Gaborik/Phaneuf trade shows there could be some value to a low-dollar/high-cap hit Loui in a couple years.
What was the value there? Gaborik's real dollar value dives off a bit towards the end, but Phaneuf's doesn't......and Ottawa had to retain 25% of Phaneuf's cap hit. The trade was mostly a salary wash in those cases.
Here's one way to look at the real dollars savings for Ottawa in that trade assuming they buyout Gabby:

BEFORE: Sens were looking at $24M for 3.5 years of declining Phaneuf + 1.5 years of Thompson.

AFTER: Sens are looking at $15M total on the rest of Phaneuf's retention + bought-out Gaborik.

($2.5M for Gabby for rest of season + $7.2M total over 6 years for a buyout this summer = $9.7M)

(25% retention of Phaneuf's real dollars owed over rest of contract - 3.5 years = $5.3M)

($9.7M + $5.3M = $15M)

(difference between $15M and $24M = $9M savings)

(well they have to pay Shore $400K for the rest of the season)

Moving forward, a re-signed Shore easily replaces the heavily overpaid Thompson at half the salary.

Phaneuf will be replaced internally by a younger cheaper dee.

Phaneuf's contract is what people call "buyout-proof"... but buying out Gabs makes some sense.

Now if the oft-injured Gabby becomes perma-LTIR between now and the off-season

... and if his contract is insured

... Sens will save an extra $7.2M (buyout cost) - $9.7M (buyout + rest of salary this year) in real dollars.

So the total real-dollars savings could end up being as high $16.2M to $18.7M ($9M + $7.2M/$9.7M).

(minus the salaries for the much cheaper Phaneuf/Thompson replacements)
____
Try to focus on someday.
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Strangelove »

Blob Mckenzie wrote: Fri Feb 16, 2018 10:57 am Lucic and Okposo are on pace for 50 points. They are three years younger than Jesse James Eriksson.
Lucic is on a 44 point pace over 82 games.

Eriksson is on a 35 point pace over 82 games.

Eriksson is an elite penalty killer who plays a 200 foot game.

Lucic not.
____
Try to focus on someday.
Island Nucklehead
MVP
MVP

Post by Island Nucklehead »

Strangelove wrote: Fri Feb 16, 2018 5:29 pm

Lucic not.
Neither is living up to their deal. Both have been massive disappointments.
Island Nucklehead
MVP
MVP

ESQ wrote: Fri Feb 16, 2018 11:19 am I seem to recall seeing Blob praising Sweeney for his (apparently) shorter turn-around on the Bruins' rebuild.

Backes has played 38 games. He's playing at a 50+ point pace.
ESQ
MVP
MVP

Post by ESQ »

Island Nucklehead wrote: Fri Feb 16, 2018 6:32 pm
Ya, I wasn't really worried about all the points Backes might have scored in games he wasn't playing in.
Blob Mckenzie
MVP
MVP

Post by Blob Mckenzie »

Strangelove wrote: Fri Feb 16, 2018 5:29 pm

Lucic not.
Lucic recently slipped below that level. Erikssons totals are lifted by EN goals. Lucic plays a heavy game and is an intimidating presence. Eriksson plays as though he was 140 pounds and is often terrified of contact.
“I don’t care what you and some other poster were talking about”
Island Nucklehead
MVP
MVP

ESQ wrote: Fri Feb 16, 2018 6:38 pm
Island Nucklehead wrote: Fri Feb 16, 2018 6:32 pm
Ya, I wasn't really worried about all the points Backes might have scored in games he wasn't playing in.
So points/game doesn't factor in at all. Anything to help the narrative, eh?
Island Nucklehead
MVP
MVP

Blob Mckenzie wrote: Fri Feb 16, 2018 6:41 pm Lucic recently slipped below that level. Erikssons totals are lifted by EN goals. Lucic plays a heavy game and is an intimidating presence. Eriksson plays as though he was 140 pounds and is often terrified of contact.
The funny thing is we could really use what Lucic brings, and the Oilers could probably use what Eriksson brings. Trade?
Meds
MVP
MVP

Post by Meds »

Island Nucklehead wrote: Fri Feb 16, 2018 6:47 pm
Blob Mckenzie wrote: Fri Feb 16, 2018 6:41 pm Lucic recently slipped below that level. Erikssons totals are lifted by EN goals. Lucic plays a heavy game and is an intimidating presence. Eriksson plays as though he was 140 pounds and is often terrified of contact.
The funny thing is we could really use what Lucic brings, and the Oilers could probably use what Eriksson brings. Trade?
I’d do it if Edmonton would retain $1.5M per year of Lucic’s salary.