Canucks News and Notes 2017-2018

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

5thhorseman
MVP
MVP

Re: Canucks News and Notes 2017-2018

Post by 5thhorseman »

micky107 wrote: Fri Feb 09, 2018 12:50 pm
rats19 wrote: Fri Feb 09, 2018 9:44 am We seem to be leading in one category year after year....... lost man games due to injuries
It's demographics. Always has been.
One could say Edmonton has a bad travel schedule too but they do not have the same life-style, (weather), etc.
Geez I've heard people blame the rain for a lot of things but this is just ridiculous.
Ronning's Ghost
MVP
MVP

Post by Ronning's Ghost »

5thhorseman wrote: Fri Feb 09, 2018 1:03 pm
rats19 wrote: Fri Feb 09, 2018 9:44 am We seem to be leading in one category year after year....... lost man games due to injuries
One could say Edmonton has a bad travel schedule too but they do not have the same life-style, (weather), etc.
Geez I've heard people blame the rain for a lot of things but this is just ridiculous.
I'm less inclined to accept it as an inevitable consequence of geography. It seems unlikely to me that the Canucks' travel schedule and home climate are significantly worse than Edmonton's or Calgary's.

In a contact sport, durability is an component of athletic ability the way that speed and strength are. Some of it may be down to personnel choices.

Some of it may also be down to physical conditioning choices. The Canucks have had a poor injury record for several seasons, but no one seems interested in assessing the work of the training staff. I would at least bring in some outside experts for a review and recommendations. Maybe they need to hire better guys.
2Fingers
MVP
MVP

Post by 2Fingers »

Ronning's Ghost wrote: Fri Feb 09, 2018 1:48 pm
I'm less inclined to accept it as an inevitable consequence of geography. It seems unlikely to me that the Canucks' travel schedule and home climate are significantly worse than Edmonton's or Calgary's.

In a contact sport, durability is an component of athletic ability the way that speed and strength are. Some of it may be down to personnel choices.

Some of it may also be down to physical conditioning choices. The Canucks have had a poor injury record for several seasons, but no one seems interested in assessing the work of the training staff. I would at least bring in some outside experts for a review and recommendations. Maybe they need to hire better guys.
can you blame the trainers for broken or cracked bones?

Would be interested to see how many are lost to injuries such as pulled groins/strains etc. vs. injuries such as broken bones do to blocked shots or pucks to the mouth.
$lacker
CC 2nd Team All-Star

Post by $lacker »

More injuries.... Brock and Tanev out for tonight’s game. Brock’s is a hand issue and no timeline for return. Ouch.
Aaronp18
MVP
MVP

Post by Aaronp18 »

$lacker wrote: Fri Feb 09, 2018 2:19 pm More injuries.... Brock and Tanev out for tonight’s game. Brock’s is a hand issue and no timeline for return. Ouch.
Arthritis acts up in the rain. :crazy:
SKYO
MVP
MVP

Post by SKYO »

$lacker wrote: Fri Feb 09, 2018 2:19 pm More injuries.... Brock and Tanev out for tonight’s game. Brock’s is a hand issue and no timeline for return. Ouch.
sportsnet dan murphy

Boeser (hand) out. Tanev (LBI) out as well. D Sedin minus 2 teeth + part of bridge - is in. canucks to dress 11F 7D
Green said different part of wrist than Boeser's last injury.

So Boeser, Gagner, Granlund, Gaunce and Tanev all out with injuries.

So the Sens should pass us in the standings with all these injuries, putting us just ahead of the Sabres and then AZ as usual firmly will be last place.
Can the Canucks just win a Cup within the next 5 years.
Mickey107
MVP
MVP

Post by Mickey107 »

5thhorseman wrote: Fri Feb 09, 2018 1:03 pm

Almost everything you just said can still fall under the category of demographics.
"evolution"
Aaronp18
MVP
MVP

Post by Aaronp18 »

micky107 wrote: Fri Feb 09, 2018 2:40 pm Almost everything you just said can still fall under the category of demographics.
What are you talking about when referring to demographics?

How does the demographic of Vancouver effect the health of the Canucks exactly? Too multicultural? Too Liberal? Too wealthy? :eh:
Mickey107
MVP
MVP

Post by Mickey107 »

Aaronp18 wrote: Fri Feb 09, 2018 2:46 pm
micky107 wrote: Fri Feb 09, 2018 2:40 pm Almost everything you just said can still fall under the category of demographics.

How does the demographic of Vancouver effect the health of the Canucks exactly? Too multicultural? Too Liberal? Too wealthy? :eh:
Everything is taken into the equation for the study of demographics. It's not just a study, it's a very important line of work.
"evolution"
Mickey107
MVP
MVP

Post by Mickey107 »

Apparently, they have to do an MRI on Brock's hand. This really sucks.
It was from that hit last night.
"evolution"
Aaronp18
MVP
MVP

Post by Aaronp18 »

micky107 wrote: Fri Feb 09, 2018 2:56 pm

Everything is taken into the equation for the study of demographics. It's not just a study, it's a very important line of work.
So by stating its because of the "demographics" of Vancouver you are encompassing every variable imaginable?

The equivalent answer would be "just because". Cool :thumbs:
Ronning's Ghost
MVP
MVP

Reefer2 wrote: Fri Feb 09, 2018 2:18 pm

can you blame the trainers for broken or cracked bones?
Resistance training will strengthen bones, so choice of training program has at least some potential effect.
Reefer2 wrote: Fri Feb 09, 2018 2:18 pm Would be interested to see how many are lost to injuries such as pulled groins/strains etc. vs. injuries such as broken bones do to blocked shots or pucks to the mouth.
This brings up the more interesting point that style of play is also a factor. The coaching staff could assess whether blocked shots are a worthwhile risk. The goalies I know (admittedly small sample, and much lower level of play) say they would rather the defence concentrate on making sure they can see the shot, or taking away the pass, as opposed to trying to block the shot, as blocking the shot almost always obstructs their view of it, and done imperfectly, it often results in a deflection that is harder to stop.
Ronning's Ghost
MVP
MVP

Aaronp18 wrote: Fri Feb 09, 2018 3:03 pm
micky107 wrote: Fri Feb 09, 2018 2:56 pm

So by stating its because of the "demographics" of Vancouver you are encompassing every variable imaginable?

The equivalent answer would be "just because". Cool :thumbs:
Maybe Micky's point will make more sense to Aaron and me if he explains exactly what he means by 'demographics' in this instance.
rats19
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by rats19 »

Anybody heard boeser is injured?
Silence intelligence so stupid isn’t offended….
Aaronp18
MVP
MVP

Post by Aaronp18 »

rats19 wrote: Fri Feb 09, 2018 3:18 pm Anybody heard boeser is injured?
Blame the demographer!